Searing Flames Archetype + Additional Trap Monster Support

JegusBeams

So this is a set of cards I made to support my remake of Uria, Lord of Searing Flames, which I posted in Casuals (linked) because it was DIVINE-Attribute and Advanced doesn't allow that. I'm not totally sure where these stand balance-wise - I think they're okay, my friend thinks they're underpowered (but he's kind of perpetually salty about Qliphorts / Nekroz / Burning Abyss / etc so). What do you think?

[spoiler=Technical]

[spoiler=Lore]

Alright, so at first I wrote out this really serious sounding preface about what "ancient legends" spoke of, etc., etc., but then I realized it could all be simplified really quickly by saying: "Hey, you know the Dawn War from Dungeons and Dragons? Imagine the Egyptian Gods as the... well, Gods, and imagine the Sacred Beasts as the Primordials". Basically, it was a battle of Order vs. Chaos, and Order won, so the Sacred Beasts were killed and their bodies thrown into the void between worlds to decay into shapeless masses of energy. And so they would have, if not for the cold hand of science - or I guess, in this case, the very, very, very warm hand of science. If you catch my drift.

See, not everything dies quickly. Corpses take a while to decompose, radioactive isotopes take, you know, a little longer. The remains of primal forces commanding power beyond that which is comprehensible by the human mind? Let's just say they hadn't quite returned to the soil yet. So one day, some whackjob in a lab coat (because Science is Bad) thought, "what if we took the giant apocalypse dragon floating out in space and used it to solve all of our energy problems?", which they then obtained significant funding for. The result: "Searing Flame Reactors", machines (of ambiguous design and authorial thought) that harnessed the flames once used by the legendary Uria to raze planets to ash in order to power toasters and lightbulbs. Don't ask how. They just did. With the power of money. Of course, there has to be some drawback, right? Or two, or three. One is that the Reactors keep exploding, and that has kind of an adverse effect on whatever's in the vicinity. Two is that, in order to keep them from doing so, the scientists behind the project secured a peculiar girl (Dance Princess of the Searing Flames) with the ability to absorb some of the flames from the Reactors and stop them from overheating. Is this at all pleasurable for the girl, or even remotely humane? Implied not. But again, none of this is sound science, so who knows? Finally, the last drawback is that as long as the flames keep burning, Uria's phantasmal specter syphons a fraction of their energy and grows ever, ever closer to reviving.

The end is nigh. Gods help us all.

(The Tikis? Uhh, I have no idea. They're probably the remains of some ancient Uria cult... and stuff... so they can use their vague voodoo powers... is that even applicable? Who cares... anyway, they can use their voodoo magic to conduct rituals of some relevance to Uria and its fiery brethren... I guess...)

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Rulings]

• I think the rule about Trap monsters taking up 2 slots is stupid... hopefully Konami'll change it, someday, so it'll be a lot less restricting to play Trap monsters, but these cards work either way. They'd just be a lot better if it was so...
  • If one of the Tikis is Set in the Spell & Trap Zone, they are Set normally. Tiki King retains his Xyz Materials. When activated, they move back to the Monster Zone and that's pretty much it.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Synergy]

• Mound of the Bound Creator works with Uria, as it is now DIVINE.
  • Skill Drain and the like do not work on Uria, so you can use them without fear of repercussions.
  • Earthen Spider Statue should find some use, but I think Tiki Curse fills its role just as well.
  • Of course, Imperial Custom and Magic Planter are blessings to this Deck. You should never be without them.
  • Emergency Provisions can be used as well, though in my opinion Magic Planter is superior.
  • Hard counters include Imperial Iron Wall, Denko Sekka, Silent Insect, Fairy Wind, etc.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Change Log]

• 2/8/15: Created set.
  • 2/9/15: Revamped for intra-archetypal cohesiveness; "Reactor"s renamed to "Searing Flame Reactor"s. Tikis changed dramatically to relieve awkwardness and be more faithful to existing versions. Added "Chaos Uria" and "Searing Flame Immolation".
  • 2/10/15: "Chaos Uria" was a dumb idea, so it's gone. Expect it to be reworked into a different set.
  • 2/13/15: "Searing Flame Immolation" changed to a Counter Trap (since it was being treated as a Trap Card anyway) and given an extra effect that can search out any "Searing Flame" card to compensate for the archetype's lack of a way to search out their boss, "Uria".
  • 2/17/15: Cut out some of "Immolation"'s more extraneous effects and made "Dance Princess" more unique. Did some tweaking with the "Reactor"s to make the best out of their status as Trap monsters and defensive cards. They can also now search out "Searing Flame" cards (including "Uria") from just about anywhere.
  • 2/21/15: Changed the wording on the "Reactor"s to make them unable to miss timing. Also nerfed "Searing Flame Reactor - Red" a little bit. Added "Synergy with Other Cards" section. Made "Dance Princess" and "Immolation" more compatible with "Uria". Fixed some OCG errors with targeting and costs.
  • 2/23/15: Reworked "Tiki Curse" and "Tiki Soul". Shifted some other things around.
  • 2/24/15: Reworked "Tiki King", twice.
  • 2/25/15: Changed the effects of "Tiki King" and "Tiki Soul" to make them less indestructible. Later moved a few of the "Tiki"s' shared effects around; they're now also treated as Traps in the Graveyard, and more balanced. Fixed typo on "Tiki King" to make it Rock-type (the template was Spellcaster-type and I forgot to change it).
  • 2/26/15: Changed the effects of "Tiki King" and "Tiki Curse" so they couldn't steal Traps from your opponent anymore. Let's leave that sort of gimmicky effect to the likes of Graverobber and Superheavy Samurai Warlord Susanoo, okay?
  • 3/1/15: Fixed some things on "Tiki Curse" and "Tiki King" for technicalities, like preventing abuse and correcting timings. Reworked "Dance Princess of the Searing Flames".
  • 3/5/15: Greatly overhauled "Dance Princess of the Searing Flames" to make it less awkward, but kept most of its original concepts. Same goes for "Tiki Soul"; borrowed a lot of its text from "Tiki Curse". "Tiki King" changed accordingly.
  • 3/6/15: Uploaded "Searing Flame Immolation", updated "Lore" section, and made some extremely minor typesetting changes.
  • 3/7/15: Uploaded all "Searing Flame Reactors"! Finished with all cards, since I've decided against including "Chaos Uria". Still might be prone to minor changes at later dates, like for typesetting and OCG fixes.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Image Credits]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Tikis and Tiki King]

The two currently existing Tikis, Tiki Curse and Tiki Soul, are Pendulum monsters that let us capitalize on the Pendulums that we would normally miss out on, as Trap monsters (we wouldn't usually Normal or Pendulum Summon much anyway, but to give it a bit of a handicap, you can't get non-Trap monsters out in the same turn). They're also treated as Traps in the Extra Deck so they can be Summoned/activated by the Tikis' Pendulum effect like any other Pendulum monster can. Finally, the Tikis can still be used for Uria's effects on the field or in the Graveyard.

[spoiler=Tiki Curse]

Tiki%20Curse.png

All Trap Cards you control that are monsters gain 500 ATK. Once per turn, if you have a "Tiki" card in your other Pendulum Zone: You can activate, from your hand or face-up from your Extra Deck, any number of Trap Cards that can be Special Summoned as monsters. You cannot Normal or Pendulum Summon monsters during the turn you activate this effect. You can only use this effect of a "Tiki" Pendulum Monster you control once per turn.

This card is also treated as a Continuous Trap Card while face-up in your Monster Zone, Extra Deck, or Graveyard. You can send 1 Trap Card from your Deck to your Graveyard, then target 1 face-up card your opponent controls; destroy it. You can only use this effect of "Tiki Curse" once per turn. When this card leaves the field: You can target 1 Trap Card in your Graveyard, except “Tiki Curse”, then pay 800 LP; add it to your hand.

[/spoiler]

The theme on this card is giving the Deck an out to hard floodgates like Denko Sekka and Imperial Iron Wall. It dumps Traps from your Deck into the Graveyard for Uria and offers spot removal to boot (not a bad effect, to be sure, but I figure it's not any stronger than the likes of Harmadik). Originally its last effect played on its status as a "curse" to wipe the field of Spell/Trap Cards, but that seemed kind of strong for what was already such a convenient monster, so I changed it to recovering a Trap to your hand. It should be noted that its last effect can miss timing if Tributed or used as an Xyz Material or something. Still one of the better cards in the Deck, I think.

[spoiler=Tiki Soul]

Tiki%20Soul.png

All Trap Cards you control that are monsters gain 500 DEF. Once per turn, if you have a "Tiki" card in your other Pendulum Zone: You can activate, from your hand or face-up from your Extra Deck, any number of Trap Cards that can be Special Summoned as monsters. You cannot Normal or Pendulum Summon monsters during the turn you activate this effect. You can only use this effect of a “Tiki” Pendulum Monster you control once per turn.

This card is also treated as a Continuous Trap Card while face-up in your Monster Zone, Extra Deck, or Graveyard. If a Trap Card(s) you control would be destroyed by battle or card effect, you can send 1 Trap Card from your Deck to the Graveyard instead. You can only use this effect of “Tiki Soul” once per turn. When this card leaves the field: You can target 1 Trap Card in your Graveyard, except “Tiki Soul”, then pay 800 LP; add it to your hand.

[/spoiler]

Tiki Soul offers better protection against whatever cards your opponent might use to try and take you down, in exchange for not having spot removal or an ATK bonus, although I anticipate that an Uria duelist would prefer to keep his Traps in Defense Position anyway and just wall in with Imperial Custom et cetera until Uria's ready to go.

[spoiler=Tiki King]

Tiki%20King.png

2 or more Level 4 Trap Cards that are monsters
This card is also treated as a Continuous Trap Card while face-up in your Monster Zone or Graveyard. Face-up Trap Cards you control that are monsters gain 300 ATK and DEF for each Xyz Material attached to this card. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 card on the field; destroy it. If this card would be destroyed, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card instead. When this card leaves the field: You can target Trap Cards in your Graveyard, up to the number of Xyz Materials used for this card's Xyz Summon; add them to your hand.

[/spoiler]

As a concept, Tiki King combines the effects of the other Tikis into one. It should be easy to get King out with a bunch of Materials, since all Trap monsters Special Summon themselves, and... yeah. Not much to say here? At least, nothing I didn't say on the other Tikis. I think it's pretty balanced, for a miniboss, and given the sheer power of higher-end threats, I don't see it being totally gamebreaking... but I could be wrong.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Miscellaneous Support]

Exactly as it says on the tin. These include whatever I could get my hands on, art-wise, i.e. Dance Princess of the Searing Flames is an Uria gijinka I saw floating around, and Searing Flame Immolation is just a deviantart pic of Uria breathing fire. Unlike the Tikis, these support Searing Flames as an archetype and in name.

[spoiler=Dance Princess of the Searing Flames]

Dance%20Princess%20of%20the%20Searing%20

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by banishing 1 “Searing Flame” card from your Graveyard (this is a Quick Effect), and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. During the End Phase of the turn this card was Special Summoned by its own effect: Return it to the hand. You can banish this face-up card you control, and if you do, target up to 3 of your banished “Searing Flame” cards; return them to the Graveyard. You can only use this effect of “Dance Princess of Searing Flames” once per turn.

[/spoiler]

Dance Princess was inspired by another Uria support card I saw floating around, but it's not a direct copy. The intent is obviously to provide an easy and recyclable way to banish Searing Flame cards and proc their effects without going to the trouble of summoning Uria. The second effect is there to mitigate the archetype's resource exhaustion and bump Uria's attack up in a pinch. This card probably would've been fine with lower ATK/DEF, but as a whim I made each of its stats 100 points higher than Dance Princess of the Ice Barrier, since Dance Princess of the Nekroz had its stats 100 lower.

[spoiler=Searing Flame Immolation]

Searing%20Flame%20Immolation.png

If you control a face-up "Searing Flame" monster, you can activate this card from your hand. Banish 1 "Searing Flame" Trap Card from your Graveyard; inflict 1000 damage to your opponent. If this card is banished from the Graveyard by the effect of a "Searing Flame" card: You can add it to your hand.

[/spoiler]

"Flame" brings to mind burn effects, which I incorporated into Immolation. Otherwise, it brings to the table another recyclable source for banishing Searing Flame cards from the Graveyard and proc'ing their effects without needing to get Uria on the field. Its status as a Counter Trap Card might also make for some interesting combos...

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Searing Flame Reactors]

My original concept for the Reactors were actually Continuous Spells; they would've been an archetype unrelated to Uria, but based around the gimmick of not using monsters at all and instead relying on stall/burn effects to win the game. Then I thought, oh, why not make them Trap monsters? And after that I thought of making them related to Uria, so... anyway, they're all like some kind of buffed up Scrap-Iron Scarecrow, being able to Set themselves in the Spell & Trap Zone to activate their effects turn after turn.

[spoiler=Searing Flame Reactor - Red]

Searing%20Flame%20Reactor%20-%20Red.png

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Pyro-Type/FIRE/Level 4/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) If an opponent's monster declares an attack: You can Set this card in your Spell & Trap Zone, and if you do, target the attacking monster; negate the attack and inflict damage to your opponent equal to its ATK. If this card is banished from the Graveyard by the effect of a "Searing Flame" card: You can have all "Searing Flame" monsters you control gain 1000 ATK and DEF until the end of this turn.

[/spoiler]

Red's all about that Battle Phase. It compensates for Uria's ATK loss effect, or buffs up your other Reactors when banished by Immolation or Dance Princess. It's like an in-theme Magic Cylinder, I guess, with a few other bonuses.

[spoiler=Searing Flame Reactor - Blue]

Searing%20Flame%20Reactor%20-%20Blue.png

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Pyro-Type/FIRE/Level 4/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) If your opponent would Special Summon a monster(s): You can Set this card in your Spell & Trap Zone; negate the Special Summon, and if you do, destroy that monster(s). If this card is banished from the Graveyard by the effect of a "Searing Flame" card: You can activate 1 "Searing Flame" Continuous Trap Card from your hand or face-down from your Spell & Trap Zone.

[/spoiler]

If Red was Magic Cylinder, Blue is Black Horn of Heaven. It kills Special Summons, and when banished from the Graveyard, it can combo with its fellow Reactors by letting them activate their effects instantly.

[spoiler=Searing Flame Reactor - Yellow]

Searing%20Flame%20Reactor%20-%20Yellow.p

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Pyro-Type/FIRE/Level 4/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) If your opponent would Normal or Flip Summon a monster: You can Set this card in your Spell & Trap Zone; negate the Summon, and if you do, banish that monster. If this card is banished from the Graveyard by the effect of a "Searing Flame" card: You can inflict 1000 damage to your opponent.

[/spoiler]

Yeah, I don't know. Killing Normal Summons to go along with Blue's killing of Special Summons, and has a boring burn effect when banished that technically compensates for Uria's ATK loss.

[spoiler=Searing Flame Reactor - Orange]

Searing%20Flame%20Reactor%20-%20Orange.p

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Pyro-Type/FIRE/Level 4/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) If your opponent activates a monster effect: You can Set this card in your Spell & Trap Zone; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card. If this card is banished from the Graveyard by the effect of a "Searing Flame" card: You can have all "Searing Flame" cards you control be unaffected by other card effects until the end of this turn.

[/spoiler]

Part of a set of three. It negates monster effects, and bestows protection upon your other Searing Flames (so Uria can attack without fear).

[spoiler=Searing Flame Reactor - Green]

Searing%20Flame%20Reactor%20-%20Green.pn

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Pyro-Type/FIRE/Level 4/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) If your opponent activates a Spell effect: You can Set this card in your Spell & Trap Zone; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card. If this card is banished from the Graveyard by the effect of a "Searing Flame" card: You can add 1 "Searing Flame" card from your Deck to your hand.

[/spoiler]

Part of a set of three. It negates Spell effects, and searches a Searing Flame (including Uria) from your Deck. Probably very valuable.

[spoiler=Searing Flame Reactor - Purple]

Searing%20Flame%20Reactor%20-%20Purple.p

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Pyro-Type/FIRE/Level 4/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) If your opponent activates a Trap effect: You can Set this card in your Spell & Trap Zone; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card. If this card is banished from the Graveyard by the effect of a "Searing Flame" card: You can add 1 of your banished "Searing Flame" cards to your hand.

[/spoiler]

Part of a set of three. It negates Trap effects, and recovers one of your banished Reactors. Probably not as valuable.

[spoiler=Searing Flame Reactor - White]

Searing%20Flame%20Reactor%20-%20White.pn

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Pyro-Type/FIRE/Level 4/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) If a "Searing Flame" Trap Card you control is banished from your Graveyard: You can Set this card in your Spell & Trap Zone; draw 1 card. If this card is banished from the Graveyard by the effect of a "Searing Flame" card: You can target up to 2 "Searing Flame" Trap Cards in your Graveyard, except "Searing Flame Reactor - White"; banish them.

[/spoiler]

Artifact Beagalltach and Artifact Caduceus were inspirations for this card. It's kind of an outlier, and based around supporting its fellow Reactors.

[/spoiler]

Comments are appreciated~

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump. Didn't get as far as I wanted (didn't reach Lore/Rulings/Synergy or Immolation), but I'm fairly confident in the Tikis and Dance Princess now. I also reuploaded Uria; the new one, I made in Photoshop, rather than in the Card Maker. If I get on enough of a roll I might be able to finally wrap this all up tomorrow...

Archived