Yooka Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

Agro

So former Rare developers who worked there when they made games for Nintendo have come together to form the new "Playtonic Games" studio.

And they're making a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie.

They're going to have an interview in Edge Magazine about the new game.

So this is kewl :>

Also this teaser image definitely has a red bird and an animal with blue eyes...

game_teaser_image1.jpg

Why hello there!

If you’ve made it this far towards our fine internet abode,

then you’ve probably worked out that we’re a new game developer,

formed by some blokes who did those games you may or may not have liked as a nipper.

However, if you’ve stumbled here by accident in search of non-sexual relationship advice,

allow us to explain what on Earth is going on…

Playtonic’s the name, and fun games, unique characters and absolutely-frickin-amazing worlds to explore are our game.

Or at least they will be, once we eventually get around to releasing our first project instead of faffing around on WordPress.

Ahem. Currently we’re a sextet of artists, programmers and designers –

sort of like The Pussycat Dolls with computer science degress – with one thing in common;

we were all once core member of famous UK studio Rare, where we helmed franchises such as Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong Country and Viva Piñata.

We’ve got the bloke who programmed Donkey Kong Country, the character designer behind Banjo and Kazooie,

and the artist who made your console fit to burst with lavish environments across a decade’s worth of adventure games.

Together, our all-star ensemble is aiming to build its debut game, ‘Project Ukulele’,

into a worthy spiritual successor to those fondly remembered platforming adventures we built in the past.

By now, you might be thinking, ‘hold on mate, didn’t you make similar claims after drinking too many shandies in the pub in 2012, you muppet?’

Perhaps. But this time it’s real! We’re making a real, proper, actual game. Look: we even managed to trick convince Edge magazine to do us some pages!
You can read all about our venture and see the first artwork for our game in Edge issue 277, which is on sale from February 12.

So what’s next? Well first of all you need to know that our journey is at an early stage – we’ve barely left the Shire and Sean Bean’s still an alright guy.

Over the coming months we’ll reveal more about our project and future growth plans, and we very much intend to get you involved and listen to your views on our game’s direction. You’ll ultimately shape the destination of our project and we plan to continue exchanging sweet glances across cyberspace at you until we get there.

So go on then – follow us on Twitter, slap your thumbs up on our Facebook and sign up for updates. ‘ Cos it’s time to get this wagon rolling…

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this news earlier and I'm super excited. Even if it's not Banjo and Kazooie as the characters, another game like the first two would be amazing, thank you based Playtonic.

Also, you spelled ukulele wrong in the thread title.

Ho dare you, I spelled uke-lele exactly as intended

Bird looks round, either it's head or its body. Creature underneath looks to be either a reptile or maybe a hippo. Not really seeing any signs of hair like the fluff on the bird, which has a clear beak.

Well, back in January, he tweeted:
“Ok, I think next month’s Edge should have something interesting for all you Banjo Kazooie fans, that’s all I can say!”
and
“please remember that I said I know absolutely zero about anything to do with any future Banjo Kazooie thing ….. absolutely zero”

So maybe?

Kirkhope also said a little while back that he's trying to compose something that sounds like what he's done, but also doesn't.

I would assume they're trying their hardest to get him on board.

Nintendo would do well to try to publish the game.

As for the characters, top one is obviously a bird. Probably a little ball of a thing. 

Bigger one has to either be a reptile/amphibian of some sort. Could also be a hippo. People assuming it's a croc right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived