Yooka Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

Agro

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I backed the Wii U version, and they've already said those who did can either get a refund or change their pledge to any of the other platforms for free. I'll just switch to the Switch when I can, though for now they said they'll have more details to share early next year.

Here's the whole news post from their site: http://www.playtonicgames.com/yooka-laylee-reptile-rolls-towards-release/

I was planning on buying a Switch anyway, so I'm fine with the fact that they're gonna bring it out on the Switch, but yeah with the fact that the game uses the Unity engine, I can understand that there'd be issues with the game on Wii U because as you said in your status that Unity doesn't have the best reputation on Wii U.

I get this nasty feeling that this is gonna be another mediocre indie release people poured millions into and then rage about it afterward. Unfortunately, what we need is an actual Banjo game, rather than something that tries to be it, and from what I've seen, several of the levels just look like different platforms hodgepodged together and they kinda went overboard with the dirty jokes (In Banjo Kazooie it was funny because it was a kids game and they snuck it in, rather than sticking it there because 'hurr durr durtee jowk').

Sorry, but like Mighty No.9, (To a certain extent) Half Genie Hero and Undertale, I feel like this isn't going to work.

It's kinda hard to make a Banjo game when Microsoft have got a stranglehold on the rights to it. And after their last little venture with the bear, it's better to start fresh with actual, experienced game designers making a spiritual successor, instead of whatever the hell M#9's maker is.

I get this nasty feeling that this is gonna be another mediocre indie release people poured millions into and then rage about it afterward. Unfortunately, what we need is an actual Banjo game, rather than something that tries to be it, and from what I've seen, several of the levels just look like different platforms hodgepodged together and they kinda went overboard with the dirty jokes (In Banjo Kazooie it was funny because it was a kids game and they snuck it in, rather than sticking it there because 'hurr durr durtee jowk').

Sorry, but like Mighty No.9, (To a certain extent) Half Genie Hero and Undertale, I feel like this isn't going to work.

The world design I've seen so far looks solid and super cohesive. I honestly haven't seen tons of dirty jokes either, but that could just be from me not looking noticing it.

Can't speak for Half Genie Hero, but to say Undertale was a disappointment is a SUPER minority opinion.

The world design I've seen so far looks solid and super cohesive. I honestly haven't seen tons of dirty jokes either, but that could just be from me not looking noticing it.

Can't speak for Half Genie Hero, but to say Undertale was a disappointment is a SUPER minority opinion.

I was expecting a cohesive RPG with undertale with choices similar to the Lethal/Nonlethal choices found in the Deus Ex (More specifically, Mankind Divided, where you are equally rewarded for either playstyle) games, what I got was a game that gives me a literal bad time when playing anything but pacifist/neutral because most of the games content is in these two modes, the characters are irritating (Exception to sans) and the art style cant make up it's mind; My protag is MS Paint, the world is NES, the battles are on a ZX Spectrum and the shops are in a GameBoy Colour game? Ok then, talk about consistency. Lets not forget that this was considered a 'sequel' to Earthbound in a sense, and it fails to recreate the flair and humour that game had simply because it tries too hard to ram 'VIOLENCE IS BAAAAD' down your throat constantly rather than actually making both sides of the coin fun and interesting to play, so instead I am resigned to hunting down the last fecking monster in Hotland to kill.

Trowzer is a one eyed snake in pants, Yooka and Laylee live in the world Bat-Ship Crazy... I am sure there's more.

I was expecting a cohesive RPG with undertale with choices similar to the Lethal/Nonlethal choices found in the Deus Ex (More specifically, Mankind Divided, where you are equally rewarded for either playstyle) games, what I got was a game that gives me a literal bad time when playing anything but pacifist/neutral because most of the games content is in these two modes, the characters are irritating (Exception to sans) and the art style cant make up it's mind; My protag is MS Paint, the world is NES, the battles are on a ZX Spectrum and the shops are in a GameBoy Colour game? Ok then, talk about consistency. Lets not forget that this was considered a 'sequel' to Earthbound in a sense, and it fails to recreate the flair and humour that game had simply because it tries too hard to ram 'VIOLENCE IS BAAAAD' down your throat constantly rather than actually making both sides of the coin fun and interesting to play, so instead I am resigned to hunting down the last fecking monster in Hotland to kill.

Trowzer is a one eyed snake in pants, Yooka and Laylee live in the world Bat-Ship Crazy... I am sure there's more.

I'm sure those are all legit issues with Undertale (I recently got it and will play through it soon), but most people I see talking about the game love it to pieces (it has an overwhelming positive reception on steam). You're point was the game will fail to live up to the backers expectations and for Undertale that is most certainly not the case.

I honest to god never even thought of that with Trowzer. Though I believe he does have two eyes. The world isn't Bat Ship Crazy (I honestly think thats a clever joke), just the name of a ship in the starting world, Shipwreck Creek.

I'm sure those are all legit issues with Undertale (I recently got it and will play through it soon), but most people I see talking about the game love it to pieces (it has an overwhelming positive reception on steam). You're point was the game will fail to live up to the backers expectations and for Undertale that is most certainly not the case.

I honest to god never even thought of that with Trowzer. Though I believe he does have two eyes. The world isn't Bat Ship Crazy (I honestly think thats a clever joke), just the name of a ship in the starting world, Shipwreck Creek.

Yeah I knew it was something like that.

Here's Trowzer:

thumbnail_64e94e93870cfec48c2dad567d656c

I count one eye.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got some important info: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival/posts/1795150?ref=backer_project_update

I originally planned on switching to the Switch version, but with no mention of a physical version for the Switch, and we've since learned the Switch has funk all for internal memory, I think I'll switch to PS4. At least I'll be getting the game earlier than I first thought.

• 2 months later...

So, with the game out in a week and reviews coming in, things are look mixed for the game. The general feel is that if you like the games this is paying homage too you'll enjoy this. Sadly I'm getting the switch version so it'll be some time before I get to play it. For those of you here getting it I'm interested in hearing your thoughts when it does come out.

The general feel is that if you like the games this is paying homage too you'll enjoy this.

Well then I'm all good, I don't need anything more than that. For comparison, I really enjoyed MN9. I expected another Mega Man game, and that's what we got.

But I'm getting the PS4 version, so I'll let you know.

One of the things I'm curious about is the technical issues I've been hearing about and how they'll play out on the Switch. We've been told they're getting a patch (I get they really couldn't push back the game to have the patch built in, but it sucks either way) so I'm curious if they'll be fixed by the time the Switch version comes out.

I've played through most of the 1st world and I'm working on the second, and the game's really fun so far. Feels like Banjo-Kazooie, as you'd expect. The worlds are very large, once you expand them, even bigger than Banjo-Tooie's I'm almost positive. Though there are less worlds, only 5, but each world has 25 Pagies (Jiggies) and 200 Quills (Notes), as well as the other collectibles (stuff like health upgrades, Ghost Writers = Jinjos, etc.), so there are more collectibles and things to do overall.

Archived