Press CTRL+V

ihop

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poseidon was far from his element.  He realized that if ambushed now, he might not sufficiently be able to defend himself.

“Stupid Apollo…” Poseidon grunted to himself, flying through the air as the sun shone harshly down his olive-skinned back.  It was only Apollo’s smug attitude and his claim that Poseidon needed to know what the future held for him that made him come from his domain under the sea and onto this path in the first place!

Mountains loomed under him stretching as far as he could see.  “Not there yet..” he grunted, spurring himself to move faster.

Flying was very much like swimming.  The air had currents and its own ebbs and flow much like the sea.  He grinned as he caught a warm updraft and flew up and up and up…  Finally, he dove, heading for the space between two close mountains.  Laughing, he looked up to see a small cloud floating lazily over one of the mountaintops.  Zooming over, Poseidon stretched out his hand and stuck it into the moist air that made the cloud.  Twiddling his fingers a bit, the cloud became funnel-like and sucked itself into his hand.

“Good, I got a little something…” Poseidon said to himself, continuing to fly toward Delphi.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was nighttime before he reached the city of Delphi.  Landing outside the town, he clapped his hands together, reproducing the water he’d drained from the clouds earlier.  Water spilled from his fingertips, and wove around Poseidon like a living piece of clothing.  Wrapping itself tightly around Poseidon’s regal outerwear, the continually moving water gave Poseidon a shimmering quality when hit by a source of light.

Poseidon walked into the town.  Instantly spotted as someone important, the people of Delphi stopped what they were doing and watched Poseidon proceed up towards the mountain, whose sides the town had been constructed, to where the oracle lay.

As he approached, people moved out of the way and bowed, giving up their spot in line for Poseidon’s benefit.  When he saw the people’s curtosy, and whenever he could bear some, he gave them a vial with the water from his cloak, telling them that it would heal them from any illness or foul curse that would befall them.

It wasn’t long afterwards that Poseidon found himself at the front of the gaggle of onlookers.  Icing the water to his body so he could concentrate, he lifted up cupped hands and produced a ball of water continuously molding, continuously changing form.

“Is this what you have brought to me Poseidon?” the Oracle asked, eyes closed “It is not customary for gods to bestow gifts

Mouth closed and concentrating tightly, Poseidon said through his mind “Uncustomary, yes, but you know as well as I that I am no god.  I am meerly a man with a shard of azure.  I don’t know what the future holds, but you do, and as such, I will give you the honor where it is due.

The Oracle smiled.  “If you knew what I knew, and what I wish not to tell you, you would not be presenting me with the finest, purest scrying water I have seen in a while.

“That is my gift to you, a payment, hopefully enough that you may present me with knowledge of my line.

“You gods do not listen, this knowledge is one I do not want to give you,” the Oracle said mentally, “it is for your own sake, not mine.

“Hear it I must,” Poseidon responded, “I wish it for my own sake, lest I become paranoid, seeing enemies where there are none, and performing actions that I normally would not do.

“Actions that you would not do…” the Oracle was thoughtful or a moment, “Then will you not attempt to change fate if I were to tell you what I’ve seen?

“I cannot promise that.  Changing fate for the better is what we humans call hope.  Even if we do know our attempts are futile.

“You humans are all alike.” The Oracle said finally, sighing “It will be done as you request.  Come, add the water to my bowl and I will tell you the future that I have foreseen.

Poseidon opened his eyes and approached the Oracle.  Sitting down cross-legged in front of her, he placed the water gently into her bowl where it dispersed.  The Oracle reached out her hands and seized the bowl, bringing it to her lips and taking a long gulp.

“Ahh, as expected from the lord of water, your drink is pure and quenching.” The Oracle lowered the bowl back to the ground, “Prophesy, as you know, is a public affair.  This is to ensure a definite recording so that anyone may come to see if they are part of another’s interpretation.”

“I understand.”

“Then let us begin.”  The Oracle closed her eyes.

Poseidon opened up his mind again, but this time focused his energy on his closed eyes.  The effort in doing so wasn’t straining, but it did require some form of concentration, like breathing consciously.  Opening his eyes, he could see the Oracle’s aura.  It was moving up in a spiral and as tendrils of prophesy flew through her mind, so to did her aura grow and shrink with the intensity of each prophesy.  She looked as though she were racing a horse down a corridor full of books and trying to shoot out the right one with a bow and arrow.

Suddenly, the aura slowed down, and as it settled an enormous tendril of aura flew down from the heavens and merged itself with her slowing aura.  She opened her eyes, they were a glowing white.

“The Prophesy of the Sea.” She said, voice humming, “The future of your family is going to be a long and bloody one.  Men and women whose roots come from the sea, by your seed, will leave the sanctuary of the ocean.  As they reject the sea, so too will they despise their lineage.  The blood on their hands will be multiplied tenfold in their death.  However, do not despair, for as each child swipes down their predecessor, so too will they become stronger than any of their line before them, capable of feats that will be known across the stars.

This is the true line of Poseidon.  The son or daughter who strikes down the striker will continue the line.  All other branches will wither and die.  This is meant to be no blessing, but a weight on the shoulders of the men and women that will follow in your son’s footsteps.  However, the blood will not water your family tree forever.  It is only until the branch weighs heavy with the fruit of two sons, this plague upon your family will last.  Will the seeds of that pair fail to fell their fathers?  Look ahead, I beg thee, to the times of the Great War.  Only then will the curse come to a head, and this prophesy fail to foretell.”

Poseidon stared.  Unlike what he’d heard before about prophecy, this one was not difficult to understand.  The child would be stronger than their own parent?  This wasn’t what he expected… killing the previous member of their own line?  Did he really think any of his children would ever surpass him or that he would even die?  He was worshiped as a god, after all!  And… what was this about how to break the curse?  Fathering two sons?  Surely that meant the curse was already broken!  ‘I have already fathered many more than two sons,’ Poseidon thought, his quickly thumping heart slowing to a more normal rate, ‘Great wars have already risen and fallen, and yet I am still here.  Has the prophecy already failed to fortell the future of my family?  Could it be that my line is outside the bonds of fate?’

The Oracle’s eyes returned to their usual black.  She stared at Poseidon as all these things ran through his head.  “No.” she said, “It is only hope that blinds you to what is said in the prophecy.  Everything will indeed come to pass as stated.  No more, no less.”

It was this thought that followed Poseidon out the door, enveloping him in such a way that water never would.

@Dell: All because I couldn't use Yoshi...
@Dell: ───────────────████─███────────
@Dell: ──────────────██▒▒▒█▒▒▒█───────
@Dell: ─────────────██▒────────█──────
@Dell: ─────────██████──██─██──█──────
@Dell: ────────██████───██─██──█──────
@Dell: ────────██▒▒▒█──────────███────
@Dell: ────────██▒▒▒▒▒▒───▒──██████───
@Dell: ───────██▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒███─
@Dell: ──────██▒▒▒▒─────▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█─
@Dell: ──────██▒▒▒───────▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒█▒██
@Dell: ───────██▒▒───────▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█
@Dell: ────────██▒▒─────█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█
@Dell: ────────███▒▒───██▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█
@Dell: ─────────███▒▒───█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█─
@Dell: ────────██▀█▒▒────█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒██──
@Dell: ──────██▀██▒▒▒────█████████────
@Dell: ────██▀███▒▒▒▒────█▒▒██────────
@Dell: █████████▒▒▒▒▒█───██──██───────
@Dell: █▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▒▒▒█────████▒▒█──────
@Dell: █▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▒▒▒▒█───███▒▒▒█──────
@Dell: █▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▒▒▒█────█▒▒▒▒▒█──────
@Dell: ██▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▒▒▒▒█───█▒▒▒███──────
@Dell: ─██▒▒▒▒███████───██████────────
@Dell: ──██▒▒▒▒▒██─────██─────────────
@Dell: ───██▒▒▒██─────██──────────────
@Dell: ────█████─────███──────────────
@Dell: ────█████▄───█████▄────────────
@Dell: ──▄█▓▓▓▓▓█▄─█▓▓▓▓▓█▄───────────
@Dell: ──█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█──────────
@Dell: ──█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█──────────
@Dell: ──▀████████▀▀███████▀──────────

4 Level 10 monsters
Cannot be destroyed by battle. When a monster you control inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You gain Life Points equal to the damage they took. If this card has "Number 92: Heart-eartH Dragon" as an Xyz Material, it gains this effect.
● Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate the effects of all face-up cards your opponent currently controls, until the end of this turn. This activation and effect cannot be negated.

Archived