Grimmknight Archetype, banish-oriented Rituals based on dark fairy tales [9/? Cards]

AcediaJC

The Grimmknights are an archetype of Dark/Warrior Monsters, based around Rituals that are summoned by returning banished monsters to the deck instead of tributing. Much of their playstyle is based around banishing and unbanishing cards for various effects. Their Ritual Spell also works somewhat similar to Shaddoll Fusion, allowing you to grab resources right from your deck if certain conditions are met.

As always, I'm not sure whether these cards are under/over powered in any way or if they're fine as they are. The Ritual Monsters themselves are probably going to get complete overhauls, but so far I'm pretty happy with the archetype as a whole :) Suggestions, fixes, and feedback are always welcome.

[Spoiler=Effect Monsters]

2vlmy38.png

Grimmknight Hood

[Warrior] [DARK] [Level 4]

When this card is Normal Summoned, you can add 1 "Grimm's Poison" from your Deck or Graveyard to your Hand. During your End Phase: If this card was destroyed this turn (either by battle or an opponent's card effect), you can banish it from your Graveyard to add 1 "Grimmknight" Ritual Monster from your Deck to your Hand.

[ATK: 1700] [DEF: 1300]

2921eae.png

Grimmknight Punzel

[Warrior] [DARK] [Level 4]

When this card is Summoned, you can send 1 "Grimmknight" Monster from your Deck to your Graveyard. When a banished "Grimmknight" Monster is returned to your Deck, you can Special Summon this card from your Hand or Graveyard. You can only Special Summon 1 "Grimmknight Punzel" this way per turn. As long as this card is in face-up Attack Position, "Grimmknight" Ritual Monsters you control cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects.

[ATK: 1500] [DEF: 1400]

1268d49.png

Grimmknight Gretel

[Warrior] [DARK] [Level 3]

When this card is sent from your Hand or Deck to the Graveyard, banish it instead. When a "Grimmknight" Monster you control is attacked, you can banish this card from your graveyard. If you do, "Grimmknight" Monsters cannot be destroyed as a result of battle this turn.

[ATK: 1000] [DEF: 1800]

2s0jvqa.png

Grimmknight Rose

[Warrior] [DARK] [Level 1]

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. You can banish this card from your Hand to Special Summon 1 "Grimmknight" Ritual Monster from your Hand or Graveyard (This is treated as a Ritual Summon using "Grimm's Poison"). A Monster Special Summoned this way cannot attack, and its effects are negated. When a Ritual Monster Special Summoned by this card's effect would leave the field, you can banish it instead to Special Summon this banished card.

[ATK: 100] [DEF: 2000]

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Ritual Monsters]

2ib2kn8.png

Grimmknight Cinder

[Warrior] [Ritual] [DARK] [Level 7]

This card can only be Ritual Summoned by the effect of "Grimm's Poison". Once per turn: You can target 1 banished "Grimmknight" Monster and 1 Monster your opponent controls; Return both targets to their owner's Hand. When this card is banished, you can draw 1 card.

[ATK: 2500] [DEF: 2000]

2u6p9cn.png

Grimmknight Snow

[Warrior] [Ritual] [DARK] [Level 8]

This card can only be Ritual Summoned by the effect of "Grimm's Poison". You can equip this card you control to 1 face-up Monster your opponent controls. The equipped Monster cannot attack or change its battle position, and its effects are negated. During your next Standby Phase after this effect is activated, Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. If this card is Special Summoned by its own effect, its effects are negated until the End Phase. When this card is destroyed, you can add 1 "Grimm's Poison" from your Graveyard to your Hand.

[ATK: 1800] [DEF: 3000]

30mpwdh.png

Grimmknight Beauty

[Warrior] [Ritual] [DARK] [Level 7]

This card can only be Ritual Summoned by the effect of "Grimm's Poison". When this card is Summoned, Special Summon 1 "Grimmknight Beast Token" (Beast-Warrior-Type/DARK/Level 4/ATK 0/DEF 0). Once per turn: You can return 1 banished "Grimmknight" Monster to the bottom of your Deck. If you do, the original ATK and DEF of all "Grimmknight Beast Token"s you control become equal to those of the returned Monster. When this card or a "Grimmknight Beast Token" destroys an opponent's Monster as a result of battle, you can destroy 1 Set card your opponent controls.

[ATK: 2600] [DEF: 1600]

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Spells]

fktbox.jpg

Grimm's Poison

[Ritual Spell]

Ritual Summon 1 "Grimmknight" Ritual Monster from your Hand by returning banished Warrior-Type Monsters to the bottom of your Deck whose combined levels are equal to that Monster's Level. If "Castle Grimm" is face-up on the field, you can Ritual Summon "Grimmknight" Ritual Monsters from your Deck as well. You can discard this card to banish 1 "Grimmknight" Monster from your Graveyard.

az8bv7.png

Castle Grimm

[Field Spell]

When a banished "Grimmknight" Monster would be returned to your Deck, you can pay 1000 Life Points to return it to your Hand instead. Once per turn: You can banish 1 "Grimmknight" Monster you control to Special Summon 1 banished level 4 or lower "Grimmknight" Monster with a different name.

[/spoiler]

EDIT: Updated "Grimmknight Hood", "Grimmknight Rose", and "Castle Grimm" with tweaked stats/effects.

I think Rose's stats should be more in line with its level. Its level also seems ... slightly awkward, as you'd need 2 Rose to make something with it.

I feel like this archetype has a bit much redundancy with its fetches; Grimm's Castle SSes from Deck or Graveyard, and Grimm's Hood does the same. Do they need to do that? Additionally it seems a little dangerous to have everything proc regardless of summoning type, but playtesting typically reveals more about the balance of such a maneuver.

The Ritual Monsters are at least pretty balanced. I like all of them!

I think Rose's stats should be more in line with its level. Its level also seems ... slightly awkward, as you'd need 2 Rose to make something with it.

I feel like this archetype has a bit much redundancy with its fetches; Grimm's Castle SSes from Deck or Graveyard, and Grimm's Hood does the same. Do they need to do that? Additionally it seems a little dangerous to have everything proc regardless of summoning type, but playtesting typically reveals more about the balance of such a maneuver.

The Ritual Monsters are at least pretty balanced. I like all of them!

Hm... Would it be better if Rose's stats were more lopsided, with one of them still 1800-2000 and the other just around 100 or something? I figured needing to SS her would somewhat balance how high the stats are for her level, but I can understand if having both of them in such a high range might be a problem. And the awkwardness is why I was considering lowering her level to 1, on top of adding another way of going into Snow (Rose + either Cinder or Beauty).

Castle and Hood don't do the same though. Hood only adds, and is limited to the ritual monsters and spells, while Castle Special Summons but is limited to the non-ritual monsters. I've yet to playtest them (though they're all uploaded on Duel Portal if somebody would like to give them a try and share their thoughts) so I'm not sure how it will work in practice with most of their summon effects triggering off of any kind of summon. I might change Hood at least to trigger only on her Normal Summon. Punzel I might leave as any summon, so she can activate off of her self-summoning effect as well.

Thanks a ton for the feedback :)

What I meant by redundancy is not that they necessarily do the same thing, but that fetching from Deck or Graveyard rewards careless play and poor deckbuilding decisions, and sometimes is just extra power for power's sake. I would recommend finding the primary location to get cards from and then just sticking with that; you can make a card that recycles or whatever if you need to afterwards, but a clause like "from your Deck or Graveyard" basically doubles the power in a really imperceptible way. (or at least multiplies it by 1.5)

Low-level monsters are allowed to have high Defense in exchange for terrible Attack, but generally not vice-versa. I like the idea of dropping Rose to 1; for similar statline examples, see Substitoad, Spirit Beast Tamer Lera, Pulao, etc. Something like 100/2000 is fine.

What I meant by redundancy is not that they necessarily do the same thing, but that fetching from Deck or Graveyard rewards careless play and poor deckbuilding decisions, and sometimes is just extra power for power's sake. I would recommend finding the primary location to get cards from and then just sticking with that; you can make a card that recycles or whatever if you need to afterwards, but a clause like "from your Deck or Graveyard" basically doubles the power in a really imperceptible way. (or at least multiplies it by 1.5)

Low-level monsters are allowed to have high Defense in exchange for terrible Attack, but generally not vice-versa. I like the idea of dropping Rose to 1; for similar statline examples, see Substitoad, Spirit Beast Tamer Lera, Pulao, etc. Something like 100/2000 is fine.

I see what you mean now. I think I'll leave Hood's spell-searching as being able to grab from both since Rituals don't usually fare too well without their ritual spells. Should I maybe change her to only searching Poison instead of any Grimm spells to compensate? Might be more balanced if she can search from both graveyard and deck, but only has one target to search for, and considering the importance of that one target it would still be a very useful effect. Then couple that with it only triggering on Normal Summon. Her other search effect for the ritual monsters is already limited to deck only, so that shouldn't need any changes. How does that sound?

For Castle... Not sure which way to go with it. Maybe only Special Summoning from Graveyard? With RotA at 3 they've already got pretty easy access to the non-ritual Grimmknights in the deck. I'm also thinking of maybe having Castle Special Summon a banished non-ritual Grimmknight (Still with a different name, so you can't do something silly like banish Punzel then summon her back to re-use her effect). Would special summoning from only the graveyard, or only banished Grimmknights be better?

As for Rose, I'll definitely drop the attack down to 100 and bring her down one level.

Thanks for the help :)

The changes are great! If you want to search the Field Spell, there's always Terraforming. A clause that banishes Punzel if it was SS'd from the Graveyard might be useful, if only to allow it to more easily become fuel for a Ritual Monster, but this is up to you; everything else looks good.

Some things I want to note is that this archetype is DARK Warrior
This means it has access to some of the best support in the game, namely Reinforcement of the Army, Allure of Darkness, Dark Armed Dragon (which this deck makes marvelous use of), and Escape from the Dark Dimension (not an amazing card, but it's pretty useful). Also, if you run Manju or Senju, you get access to Chaos Monsters.
Potential fix is making it Earth.

Edit - Generally though, at present, archetype is a little small, and some of the rituals are a tiny bit underwelming. Could use the addition of a few more rituals and a few more effect monsters. Especially a level 4 and 5 ritual monster.

Some things I want to note is that this archetype is DARK Warrior
This means it has access to some of the best support in the game, namely Reinforcement of the Army, Allure of Darkness, Dark Armed Dragon (which this deck makes marvelous use of), and Escape from the Dark Dimension (not an amazing card, but it's pretty useful). Also, if you run Manju or Senju, you get access to Chaos Monsters.
Potential fix is making it Earth.

Would it be better if Hood, Punzel, Gretel, and Rose were Earth and the Rituals remained Dark? Dark/Warrior just fits their flavour perfectly and there aren't too many other combinations that would fit their theme. A mix of Eath/Warrior and Dark/Warrior would at least still be workable with the concept behind them.

I think the DARK Attribute isn't a huge concern with the archetype as-is. The support is absolutely good, but the cards mentioned by BtanH only serve to boost the power of the deck by an appreciable but not overwhelming degree. It's more of a playtesting thing, really.

Archived