Deck Master

Seanoow

Unleash your favorite monster to aid you through your duel! (Just don't pick Kuriboh :P)

CYR4Xen.jpg
Target one monster in your hand or deck. Banish that monster. A monster banished by this effect is treated as your "Deck Master". That monster can not activate its effects, is unaffected by other card effects, and can not affect other cards while banished by this cards effect.

-During either player's turn, you can special summon your "Deck Master" to your side of the field (This is a quick effect). After your "Deck Master" has been summoned by this effect, if it is destroyed you lose the duel. If you use your "Deck Master" for a fusion summon, where the fusion monster lists the original name of your "Deck Master" as a fusion material. That fusion-summoned monster becomes your new "Deck Master".

You can not summon or control any monsters with the same original name as your "Deck Master" (If your "Deck Master" is a fusion monster, you also can not summon or control any monsters who's original names are listed on that fusion monster as fusion materials).

Each player can only activate the spell card "Deck Master" once per duel.

More like E-Tele with a situational price tag. Unless the targetted monster had protection from being destroyed by battle/card effects, all the opponent has to do is pop the monster in order to win. Very-risky gambit if used on the wrong monster, if you're planning on keeping it on the field...

If the targetted monster does have such protection from destruction by battle as well as destruction by card effect, that's a big ol' middle finger flipped in the opponent's face, because the only way to remove said monster would be to bounce it or use an effect that "sends" a card elsewhere, which does not count as destruction. Same thing with the person using this then using said monster as Tribute/Ritual/Synchro/XYZ bait, the whole 'Deck Master' thing gets voided.

Hell, even if said monster has no protection, you can bounce it off the field yourself at various moments, like during "Oh, s***" moments when your monster's about to get popped.

Depending on how it gets used, it can be a risky bet or something that can be abused hard...

More like E-Tele with a situational price tag-

I'll go right on ahead and Banish [X] monster. Summon a monster of a matching Level/etc.
Use this card's other effect to Summon it.
Overlay both.

I can't lose the duel via it's drawback because the monster wasn't destroyed/used as Fusion Material/etc.

well, as far as criticism goes, how this:

the first effect is actually very close to the original deck master rules, but the following effects need tweaking

First, when a deck master is brought to the field, you should give it protection, summoning the monster on it's own just makes it vulnerable to solemn warning, bottomless or the like.

second, you're giving the monster too much freedom when it hits field, like others have said, the monster should not be able to do as it likes while its on the field through the deck master system, I'd say add in 2 clauses to that, 1) it cannot attack the turn it's brought to the field by that effect, and 2) you cannot summon another monster the turn you summon it. it may as well keep it's effects, but allowing it to attack, or be immediately fused into something else in order to bypass the restriction would be going too far. it could still keep the "if used as a tribute/material the new monster becomes your deck master" effect, but at least this way you don't get to use it as a free beater or as summon fodder

so to sum it up:
[spoiler/]M5sA1Es.jpg
Target one monster in your hand or deck. Banish that monster. A monster banished by this effect is treated as your "Deck Master". That monsters effect is negated while it is banished by this card effect and it cannot affect or be affected by other card effects while banished by this card effect. During either player's turn, you can Special Summon your "Deck Master" to your side of the field (This is a quick effect).You cannot summon another monster or activate other card effects the turn you activate this effect. The monster summoned by this effect cannot attack during the turn you activate this card effect. card effects cannot be activated in response to this effect. After your "Deck Master" has been summoned by this effect, if it is destroyed you lose the duel. If you use your "Deck Master" for a Fusion or Synchro summon, where the monster lists the original name of your "Deck Master" as a material. The summoned monster becomes your new "Deck Master". You can only activate the spell card "Deck Master" once per duel.[/spoiler]

[spoiler/]
this allows the effect to grant you powerful monster plays that cannot be abused as heavily as they would be otherwise, it solves the issue of attacking after nuking the field, and prevents you from using it during your opponents end phase if you made any aggressive (or passive) moves during their turn. but if you didn't, you could drop said monster during their end phase safely and combo from there during your turn on your own turn you can use but it also requires a bit more forethought since it can hurt you to make heavy plays prematurely just to abuse your deck master

I'll admit it still somewhat accentuates an OTK play style, but it requires relatively more thought to make successful plays, and at the same time that it grants you a safer summon, it also paralyzes you during the turn that you activate it, making it a gamble to play too aggrssively even if you don't mess up.[/spoiler]

odds are the others here will now proceed to tear me a new one, but I hope this helps.

I'm thinking, rather than just create a very wordy card to adapt those rules, instead have Deck Master as a separate game mode entirely.

Of course, the Deck Master effects are another thing to be discussed...

or that...

I agree, it may be better to adapt your card from something that's placed in a deck to something that simply explains the rules of a separate game mode. seeing as pendulums were probably inspired by deck masters, that might be a feasible idea.

Wow, one day passes and 7 comments with tons of views. I'm amazed and honored.

Also, every card I make seems to be "easily abused, but potentially risky" at least when I come up with new(ish) concepts anyway. Guess I'm on a roll.

I was originally going to make the card "If your 'Deck Master' is removed from the field you lose the duel" but that would deem the card useless with everyone running compulsory evac.

Also, thanks for mentioning how this can be abused for other forms of summoning such as synchro and xyz.

I COMPLETELY forgot to add to the card "Your 'Deck Master' can not be used for a tribute, synchro, ritual, or xyz material. I forgot this because my original idea was if it was removed from the field (including being sent to the graveyard as xyz material). So if that is the biggest problem with this card that was my fault for missing that detail, sorry, and thanks again for pointing it out.

And I see the problem of someone choosing a monster that can not be destroyed, I think as long as it can be destroyed either by battle or effect it should be ok, as long as it is not both.

I should also mention just incase it was missed that the original issue I was trying to solve was for fusions such as Cyber twin/end that involve certain monsters. Obviously if your "Deck Master" is Cyber Dragon and you summon it, you can not control any other "Cyber Dragon"s, so the name-changing effects of the other cards in that set would not work, but you could still use polymerization to summon twin/end if you had the other materials in your hand etc.

So taking all of your criticisms into account (please correct me if I am wrong) the things I need to add/change are:

-Your "Deck Master" can not be used as material for a tribute, ritual, synchro, or xyz summon.

-If possible make a new spot on the field for this effect instead of banishing. (Deck Master Zone)?

-Maybe restrict the card to 1-2 copies since it can only be used once.

-Possibly some restriction involving  exactly what monsters can be chosen, though I'm not sure how exactly this will work.

And I mean, I could also try to take these criticisms and advise and make a new game mode...

But it would be exactly the same as Duel Monsters, just like Dungeon Dice Monsters. :P

So if I choose Blue-Eyes White Dragon as my deck master, activate Polymerization, summon Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon, activate a second Polymerization and summon Dragon Master Knight, he becomes my new Deck Master.
That makes my new Deck Master a 7000+ ATK monster that can only get stronger.
So based on brute power, it can be fairly difficult to to get around that.

Horu... if anyone duels based on brute power they have not considered the extent of strategies that are available. Not to mention all the cards such as torrential tribute that are not only commonly used in the current meta, but also deal with this "Brute Power" very effectively. (Also, I think tributing B-E-U for Great Maju Garzet 9000 Atk is more "brute" than Master of Dragon Knight, even if you couldn't do it with my card here it would still be easier than trying to summon MDK).

I think I covered some of your discussion already though, as long as you cannot summon during the turn you use the card, no matter what you choose, it won't be as easy to abuse because it would mean you skipped an entire turn of activating anything just to bring out your deck master. you might still be able to drop a massive boss monster the turn after, but at that point it won't be a surprise to your opponent, and they'll have had at least one turn to prepare, and since you not activating anything is a criteria that is nowhere near easy to get around, the plays you can safely pull off will be severely limited.

also, yes, you can drop 5000+atk monsters onto the field, but really, who would do that when you can summon monsters immune to destruction and targeting, a 5000+ beater can get torrential tributeed, raigeki'd, dark holed, or all manner of other destruction effects, if you want to go pro you'd drop something that can be turned into a monster that's hard to remove, via effect destruction (like exterio, ultimate axon, the yang xing synchro, Shi-en, cyber dragon infility, ect) just attack power means little to nothing on a monster that's going to cost you the game if he gets mirror forced.

The other problem with pulling out a beast like DMK or FHD is Magic Cylinder. Sure, Mirror Force will negate the attack and destroy the monster but Magic Cylinder redirects the damage. And not very many people are sitting at a perfect 8000 LP by the time they get something like that.

The other problem with pulling out a beast like DMK or FHD is Magic Cylinder. Sure, Mirror Force will negate the attack and destroy the monster but Magic Cylinder redirects the damage. And not very many people are sitting at a perfect 8000 LP by the time they get something like that.

You must understand that very few people actually run Magic Cylinder. Card advantage for burn, unless it ends the game, is often seen as inadequate. Getting rid of the offending monster also means one less obstacle to deal with.

I definitely like the idea, but, if your goal is to remain true to the flavor of Deck Masters as they are portrayed in the anime, it might be better to make it a card that explains the game mode (as mentioned above). Then have both players select their respective masters upon activation, and just try to address any limitations that come up in as short a manner as possible...i was thinking maybe something like

[spoiler=this]

47374.png

Both players target and banish 1 monster from their hand or Deck. That banished monster is treated as its owner's "Deck Master" in the "Master Zone" (It is not treated as banished). "Deck Masters" are unaffected by cards and effects, except the effects of this card. Non-continuous effects of "Deck Masters" are negated. Once per turn, the turn player can Special Summon a "Deck Master" from the "Master Zone" (This is a Quick Effect). Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to the Special Summon of a "Deck Master". If a "Deck Master" on the field is destroyed, its owner loses the Duel. If a "Deck Master" is used as a Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz Material for a Summon, or tributed for a Tribute Summon, that Tribute or Special Summoned monster becomes its owners "Deck Master". "Deck Master" can only be activated once per Duel.

[/spoiler]

I have made some more restrictions on the card as to what I stated earlier. (Only usable for fusion, etc). I do like the idea of a new game mechanic, and I think the introduction of a "Master Zone" or something of the sort would make the card much easier to understand. I just don't like 2 things: the mirrored effect, and the ability to use the monster for synchro/xyz etc summons other than fusion. A: I don't like the mirror effect mostly because I think the "instant win/loss" should not be forced on the opponent. I really want this to be just like or similar to the anime, but I think we can agree that there have to be some rule differences between the anime and tcg/ocg. Hence why some cards have changed effects or banned (I'm looking at you Yatagarasu...) B: As seen in the anime and from many duelists, every deck has a 'core' card (Dark Magician, Neos, Utopia, etc.) But when it comes to monsters that are similar to each other, I only see fusions as having a close relationship. Cyber end dragon looks similar to Cyber dragon, all elemental hero fusions look like their materials. Rituals, synchros, and xyz don't usually share these features. (C105 doesn't really look like a 'boxer' and C107 is pushing the limits of being related to galaxy-eyes at all in my opinion). I just think that your original "Deck Master" should still be somewhat present in the new monster. All of these ideas are amazing... I appreciate all the feedback and discussion on this card. Maybe I should try to make more cards that relate closer to 'duel themes' or something similar. Still, I can't believe how much attention this has gotten... you are all seriously awesome!

Honestly, I didn't think about specific tribute monsters because frankly there are just so few of them, and I guess I never see them. I mean, I've seen people use Red-Eyes Darkness Metal dragon, 'cause dragons got to have dragons... but I have not seen anyone use R-E Darkness dragon, even in Hieratics. Man, every time I see that card I feel like trying the B-E Shining deck... (spoilers, B-E Shining isn't good enough to justify how dificult it is to summon). I suppose if the monster specifically requires your deck master as a tribute it would be ok. More text to add, ugh. :P Ha ha, this card will have more text then Divine Serpent XD. Man I love all this feedback. The only thing I will say is that just like the fusion monster, you won't be able to control other monsters with the same original name as both the tributed monster, and the tribute-summoned monster. The idea is the whole 'one of every card' thing. So I am more than happy including 'evolutions and transformations' etc for "Deck Master"s, but the same restrictions will apply. I feel like it may even be so hindering to only control one copy of a card and so this may just end up like a wonky gold sarc. But hey, it's more fashionable, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think it's needless to say that if a monster can activate it's effects, plus be immune to all other effects it would be unbalanced. Especially if it could be any monster, as a fan of the Red-Eyes, I presume you would understand that cards such as Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon would be overpowered if used as the "Deck Master". For this reason I think they should have to be summoned first. Considering most card effects require the card to be on the field/in hand/etc.

Archived