Making Unicore Lock viable - Power Play

Timeskipper

I still have lots of doubts about this card: I know it does a LOT of things, to the point where I was thinking to split it up between more than one card. I know it can royally mess up your opponent's strategies. Still, it doesn't give you the mathematical certainty to be able to maintain the lock: a well-timed CED, just setting cards or similar things can break the strategy as much as everything else. This card just gives you the wiggle room you need to adjust to some moves your opponent might make.
By the way, the restrictions on the first effect ensure that this card doesn't accidentally end up supporting an enemy playing Fabled, DW or Burning Abyss.

Sooo... CnC, I guess?

sTj93Ry.jpg

Power Play
Trap Card - Continuous

Lore: Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can activate 1 of the following effects:
1) When a "Fabled" monster is Special Summoned, you can activate this effect: discard 1 random card from your opponent's hand. Your opponent can't activate that card's effect for the rest of the turn.
2) You can discard 1 "Fabled" card from your hand.
3) Only during your opponent's turn: you can draw 1 or 2 cards. Those cards can't leave your hand except by this card's effect. During the End Phase of the turn you activated this effect: shuffle them in your Deck and discard 1 card from your hand.

"Power Play" is a Continuous Trap Card, being functional during either player's turn and making plays with your hand. Although the Fabled Archetype is partially mentioned (which, by the way, is one of the few that can abuse the card), the card in whole can become useful in many kind of decks. Some examples are Chaos Decks (to set up their plays), Shaddolls and BA (to activate their effects) and possibly Mermails and Exodia Decks (for lucky instant wins, IF Exodia's condition is not affected). 

Now, about the effects: Only one can be activated during either player's turn, preventing overpowered plays. There are 3 of them, each one having its own capabilities:
1) Obviously uneffective if card is used outside of the Archetype. It's very good when activating during the owner's turn, because the most obvious move they would make is Special Summon a Fabled monster. A little bonus following the Summon that also prevents the affected card activate its effects. Not very powerful but also not too bad, considering the discarding capabilities of the Deck.
2) This is probably the strongest effect of all. No matter which player's turn it is, it can be used both for defense and offense. Discard "The Fabled Catsith", "Ceruli, Guru of Dark World" or "Farfa, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss" during your opponent's turn to risrupt their moves. Discard "Graff, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss", "Fabled Krus" or "Mermail Abyssgunde" during your turn to fill your field. Generally, this effect never dies in a deck full of monsters that activate their effects when sent from the hand to the Graveyard, so it can become very dangerous at times.
3) This last effect is a tricky one. While it renders the drawn cards' effect useless, it dos have its potential. A good example is when you have "Hand Destruction" or "Reload" set on your side of the field. Whether your hand is depleted or full of cards, the drawn cards can be used as cost, or be sent to the Graveyard/shuffled in the deck, in order to replenish your hand. An incredible advantage by any means.
  In addition, the choice to draw 1 or 2 cards is usually a straight 2. Unless you run a "Fabled" deck or, specifically, a "Fabled Unicore" based Deck, like you said. The latter one is only bad news. Prepare your field with cards that control your hand, including this Trap, and have at least 1 face-up Unicore. Not only the 3rd, but the other effects of the Trap can also contribute as well. An almost full-proof Deck Lock strategy.

To sum up, "Power Play" justifies its name by the possibilies it can create. While at some point it requires an appropriate setup, it's a sneaky card that may pop up unexpectendly, like a Surprise CED or "Castle of Dragon Souls". With the difference that PP can be exploited in various, advantageous ways.

I went back and edited a few things, to make the card less abusable. No easy +2 with Reload or Hand Destruction, and the second effect now is specifically for "Fabled" cards. Yeah, it's restricting especially considering that Fabled decks rarely are pure decks, but at least you can still benefit from the effect of the Fabled monsters but can't abuse the effects of other cards, like BAs or DWs.

That was a quick fix (and a good one, as I see it). The only things I believe to need fixing are some minor OCG errors.

Your opponent can't activate that card's effect for the rest of the turn --> That card's effects are negated for the rest of the turn

Only during your opponent's turn --> During your opponent's turn only

Those cards can't leave your hand except by this card's effect --> These cards cannot be sent to the Graveyard or shuffled into the Deck, and their effects are negated

Don't take them as granted, though. If you want, ask others to assist you with this.

Tip: Using the 'Show Edit' option is bery useful.  ;)

For the third, I should also include the field (if they're monsters, you could be able to summon them) and getting banished, probably. I tried to use a more catchall formula to avoid making the lore even lengthier than it already is, but I guess there's no working around that one.

For the third, I should also include the field (if they're monsters, you could be able to summon them) and getting banished, probably. I tried to use a more catchall formula to avoid making the lore even lengthier than it already is, but I guess there's no working around that one.

There may be a way to describe this.

"These cards cannot be activated or Set, also they cannot be sent to the Graveyard or shuffled into the Deck" This way, even if their effects are not negated, they won'r be able to activate because this requires them to leave your hand (which is already prohibited). The only way to do so is if they banish themselves, but there are very few (if any) that can do this from your hand, so this is probably the best way you can write it.

Archived