Digimon Tri: 90's kids... y'all ready for some nostalgia?

Digimon Adventure Tri is headed to theaters across the United States, as Toei Animation and Eleven Arts are teaming up to screen the first chapter of the six-part film series later this year.

According to a press release from Toei, the English dub of Chapter 1: Reunion will be shown in over 300 theaters across the U.S. on September 15 as part of a one-night Fathom Events screening. A wide release across major cities will follow sometime after.

This theatrical debut will serve as the first time the English version of Digimon Adventure Tri is shown in North America, as the Japanese-voiced versions of both Chapter 1 and Chapter 2: Determination are currently available for streaming online.

It's been a long time since the popular anime franchise appeared on the big screen in the United States, with Digimon: The Movie making its theatrical debut in the U.S. back in 2000.

"American viewers have been eagerly awaiting the next chapter in the Digimon saga for nearly sixteen years, and we’re delighted to have produced this English language version for theaters, giving it the cinematic treatment our fans deserve," Toei Animation president Masayuki Endo said.

*reads post* Suppose I better place my bets on Europe not getting the dub at all.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That trailer is kinda old. No idea if their going to change that theme song though which is bad.

Seriously wish they did this.

https://youtu.be/NQtqMDeXkus

That is, hopefully, just a promo song. My guess is the actual intro will be a throwback to the original Digimon opening.

The cover is good, but for some reason dubs rarely do covers of the Japanese opening (as far as I know).

• 1 month later...

[spoiler=Wow]

I feel like I've said this before, but its amazing watching this compared to the first two seasons. EVERYTHING here is just character drama. While we did get a whole episode that was more or less fighting that too had a ton of character stuff. Seriously awesome and emotional stuff.

Though its funny, after five episodes, not a lot really happens in terms of the story. Its weird to have so much, but so little. With only one episode left we still need to find out whats going on with Jesmon and Alphamon, Gennai actually being the big bad(?), what happened to the 02 kids, and what Himekawa's deal is. The reboot also seemed to have not gone off perfectly. I also really love the small call backs to the older seasons, with my favorite being Kari getting possessed by the God of the Digital World again, and the nod weird "other worlds" stuff that came up in season 2 and went no where.

I will say the one thing that was starting to annoy me about the episodes was Agumon's obsession with food. It got old pretty fast. I get that the digimon are child like, but it made him seem super dumb.

Final note, I somehow missed that Meicoomon's line at the end meant she didn't lose her memories. I was pretty sure the cast will get there memories back somehow, that only gives that more fuel.

[spoiler=PosterLeak?]tumblr_odzmpwnxhb1ve6pjdo1_540_by_dmonah

[spoiler=Themostworstdigimontoeverexist]

So if That poster is legit & Machnidramon will make a come back does that mean the the most dangerious digimon of all will appear?

3621939-0545069872-65473.jpg

Zeedmillenuimmon. If so will we end up seeing Ryo, who was Kens friend and the one who ended up being sent to the Tamers Universe? If you don't know Zeedmillenuimon is Ryo's true partner.

[spoiler=Tri]

All the posters so far have had the trinary that we learned in this part is causing the virus. Its super obvious in part 3's and is clearly in part 2's, and if you zoom into part 1's you'll see it there as well. Its a REALLY cool detail that makes those random numbers on the posters have a ton of meaning and shows how far they've been planning this.

[spoiler=Confession]

Now I can't get Usher out of my head.

Serious feels here. Always gotta be Patamon and TK. But I'm kinda glad it was everyone who got infected in the end.

Wish there was a bit more, or deeper rather, development for Izzy but I'll take it.

Jesmon~! Since he's here I'm assuming the Hackmon from earlier was just a form used for recon?

Biggest thing on my mind is Gennai and what this all means. Some weird test? Also did he ever wear black? If not, I'm getting Anakin vibes. And I just hate Himawhatever regardless if she's good or evil.

By the end of it all I was swimming in tears. Good stuff going on here, but the wait in between is killing me. Is there a date for the next?

[spoiler=Confession]

Now I can't get Usher out of my head.

Serious feels here. Always gotta be Patamon and TK. But I'm kinda glad it was everyone who got infected in the end.

Wish there was a bit more, or deeper rather, development for Izzy but I'll take it.

Jesmon~! Since he's here I'm assuming the Hackmon from earlier was just a form used for recon?

Biggest thing on my mind is Gennai and what this all means. Some weird test? Also did he ever wear black? If not, I'm getting Anakin vibes. And I just hate Himawhatever regardless if she's good or evil.

By the end of it all I was swimming in tears. Good stuff going on here, but the wait in between is killing me. Is there a date for the next?

[spoiler=End]

You aren't the first person to make the Anakin comment

http://langue-etrangere.tumblr.com/post/150848107597/gennai-is-pulling-some-anakin-sheet

Next movie/batch of eps is February 25, 2017

• 4 months later...

Was in page 2, but what's the point in starting a new topic for a series that updates every few months.

[spoiler=Part 4: Loss]

Off the bat, I'm immediately reminded that the writing done here is greatness. I would've never thought Himekawa and Daigo were tamers from a long time ago. I just thought they were suits who knew what digimon were (similar to Hypnos from Season 3). I had to watch this a couple times to confirm some things. A) Daigo was a goggle boy *insert fanboy squee* and his partner was LoaderLiomon. B) Not sure what Sovereign it turned into, but if we stand by logic then LoaderLiomon turned into Baihumon. Triceramon probably became Azulongmon and the Hippogriffomon(?) became Zhuqiaomon. And C) 3 other digimon, means 3 other kids, you can also see their tiny spheres from before they were about to digivolve. Where are they? Did they successfully learn how to adult? Losers...

But overall, an interesting origin story. Though the lack of Huanglongmon representation is disturbing. Maybe we'll see a Sovereign Fusion in the future? Highly doubt it, but would be still cool.

I feel bad for Himekawa, but not that bad. A sacrifice had to be made... and they still lost... Now that I think about, yeah, I would be pretty salty. But still no reason to screw over other kids.

I like the theme of moving forward here, as mentioned by Hikari, and I'm glad they didn't just remember everything; something Himekawa couldn't do or accept. "Yggdrasil" was also dropped here. Assuming it's the same one we know of, this confirms that there are multiple "host computers" for one digital world if Homeostasis is one as well. And from what it sounds like, they're clashing ideologies. Referring to Meicoomon as "Libra" probably means it could cause good as well as harm. So Meicrackmon probably has a Good Mode as well.

Now for what bugged me. Kinda found it weird how they went to Mega so fast, but starting all the way over wouldn't make much sense anyway. But then they could've crammed in more bonding sequences instead of them getting lost with different partners and having Full Evolution Scenes. Evil Gennai is just a bit too cringe. There's cool evil, and then there's "you seriously need to be put down"; he's leaning toward the latter. Another thing is Sora vs. Machinedramon and the Ice wall, I don't need to say anymore on that.

Thoughts?

Archived