Digimon Tri: 90's kids... y'all ready for some nostalgia?

Well this is a blast from the past :D

Was never a huge fan of the original series (Tamers was fantastic though). Here's hoping its not going to be too much filler. Like the Digidestined looking for their Crests in Series 1.

As it is based just after the events of 02, I don't think we will have Biomerging but here's hoping.....

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this is a blast from the past :D

Was never a huge fan of the original series (Tamers was fantastic though). Here's hoping its not going to be too much filler. Like the Digidestined looking for their Crests in Series 1.

As it is based just after the events of 02, I don't think we will have Biomerging but here's hoping.....

I just hope that more random and 100% unexplained bullshit doesn't happen whenever Kari is on screen... Oh and that they retcon that MattxSora thing

TaixSora forever! B(

Apparently Matt X Sora was always planned and even hinted at, but the dub and Our War Game led to the expectation of Tai X Sora, which went against the original writer's intent. Still, curious to see how all this plays out compared to 02.

Yeah I heard that but even in the Japanese version season 1 strongly hinted Tai x Sora. It wasn't till Season 2 that anything with Matt and Sora even reared it's ugly head. Anyways, I'm also interested in seeing what they do with it. Unless they retcon a lot then we technically already know the ending, but it'll still be interesting to see how they get to that.

Last I heard the release date was April 15th. I haven't seen any signs that it might be coming out then though, so it probably was pushed back to summer.

To be honest, I'm starting to wonder if it's real or a hoax now. At this point you're think there'd at least be a trailer for it, but I haven't seen a thing.

Last I heard the release date was April 15th. I haven't seen any signs that it might be coming out then though, so it probably was pushed back to summer.

To be honest, I'm starting to wonder if it's real or a hoax now. At this point you're think there'd at least be a trailer for it, but I haven't seen a thing.

They've spent WAY to much time hyping this up for this to be fake. July might just be the actual date.

A friend and I were looking at the credits for the head staff and were so confused over who they were bringing together that we started watching through the first 2 adventures, in English, naturally.

Thoughts:

1. Fuck Mimi. No seriously, none of us like her.

2. Those abstract matte backgrounds are slowly taking over the show.

3. Show pretty clearly using limited animation. Cycles, reusing the same images and cycles. Heavy use of audio to mask it.

4. Why did they give the entire series budget to that one episode where Tai comes back to the real world? Like the style is so clearly different and never goes back to it until the movie.

5. Fuck Mimi tho

6. MetalEtamon for character of the year btw

7. Puppetmon was much better in my memories

8. APOCALYMON IS SOOOOOO SASSY. He's the ultimate evil, "Complete with hot AND cold water."

9. Summary of 6-8: the Dub of 03 is gonna have its work cut out for it because the puns, jokes, and references in this series are top notch.

10. Hey look, Adventure 02 got more of a budget. Sort of.

11. "Go sit next to the girl with a... camera? around her neck?" THIS SHOW.

12. My friend literally just asked me, in confusion, if Davis was REALLY going to be the main character for season 2.

13. My friend is satisfied knowing that Kari will never give Davis the time of day

I'm on A02, ep 2. This show is unwatchable in Japanese. I can't put this much attention on 2 56 episode seasons, I need to do something else while watching or I'll go crazy. Dub is definitely the only way to go.

After finishing Adventure 01, we're still really confused as to what the hell Adventure 03 is going to be considering the staff working on it. I mean there isn't even a specified date on it an we're already in April.

A friend and I were looking at the credits for the head staff and were so confused over who they were bringing together that we started watching through the first 2 adventures, in English, naturally.

Thoughts:
1. Fuck Mimi. No seriously, none of us like her.
2. Those abstract matte backgrounds are slowly taking over the show.
3. Show pretty clearly using limited animation. Cycles, reusing the same images and cycles. Heavy use of audio to mask it.
4. Why did they give the entire series budget to that one episode where Tai comes back to the real world? Like the style is so clearly different and never goes back to it until the movie.
5. Fuck Mimi tho
6. MetalEtamon for character of the year btw
7. Puppetmon was much better in my memories
8. APOCALYMON IS SOOOOOO SASSY. He's the ultimate evil, "Complete with hot AND cold water."
9. Summary of 6-8: the Dub of 03 is gonna have its work cut out for it because the puns, jokes, and references in this series are top notch.
10. Hey look, Adventure 02 got more of a budget. Sort of.
11. "Go sit next to the girl with a... camera? around her neck?" THIS SHOW.
12. My friend literally just asked me, in confusion, if Davis was REALLY going to be the main character for season 2.
13. My friend is satisfied knowing that Kari will never give Davis the time of day
I'm on A02, ep 2. This show is unwatchable in Japanese. I can't put this much attention on 2 56 episode seasons, I need to do something else while watching or I'll go crazy. Dub is definitely the only way to go.

After finishing Adventure 01, we're still really confused as to what the hell Adventure 03 is going to be considering the staff working on it. I mean there isn't even a specified date on it an we're already in April.

Mimi gets more hate than she deserves. She honestly wasn't the worse. Poor Sora had so little character.

I watched through seasons 1, 2, and 4 back in February my thoughts.
Season 1
Tai, Matt, and Izzy were pretty much the main characters.
Joe was a really interesting character watching it back.
As said Sora felt really under used. Mimi was better used, but has a more grating personality. I was fine with her though.
T.K. is kind of there.
Kari was creepy as hell in season 1, but was pretty awesome.

I loved the episode when Tai comes back to the real world.

In terms of story, 22-40 was EASILY the strongest part, but over all the season is WAY better than it has any right being.

I feel one of the things that made me a LOT more forgiving of things is that fact that they are 8-11 years old so they are allowed to do some stupid things cause what would you have done if you were them.

Season 2
Davis gets too much hate. He is annoying idiot, but his heart is in the right place.
Yolei kind of had Sora's problem of just being there, but wasn't as bad.
Cody was actually really interesting imo. Didn't realize how good he was back when I was a kid.
Ken was the best part of season 2. The final arc of his as emperor was just great.
T.K. was far more interesting in this season.
Kari was a bit less, but still fine.

Season 2 was weaker, but still good. The season got repetitive and they had a lot of interesting ideas (Dark Ocean and the Deamon Corps) that ended up going nowhere.

Curious why we haven't heard anything about the season 2 characters being in Tri. Tri means they aren't ignoring 02, but hearing nothing on them is suspect.

I've written a ton more, but that was to a friend so its buried in a chat log from like a month and a half ago and I'm too lazy to go digging.

I'll leave with this
"Biyomon, over here!" "I'm coming!"

Season 1 was definitely better, but let's be honest, tamers was the best.

Tamers is the best, not even close. Didn't rewatch because did in the past and wanted to save it.

Of the 4 seasons I've seen its
1/4

IMO 4 is actually really good. Not so much a Digimon season, but still a good show.

Me and my friend are only watching season 2 to get to the spirit bomb. Because Spirit Bomb. Also Steve Blum.

Also Mimi doesn't get more hate than she deserves, she gets the exact amount of hate she deserves.

Davis also gets exactly as much hate as he deserves. :'D

Also let's talk about Sora's hat. In that it is sometimes a helmet, and sometimes a hat. And I don't understand.

Me and my friend are only watching season 2 to get to the spirit bomb. Because Spirit Bomb. Also Steve Blum.

Also Mimi doesn't get more hate than she deserves, she gets the exact amount of hate she deserves.
Davis also gets exactly as much hate as he deserves. :'D

Also let's talk about Sora's hat. In that it is sometimes a helmet, and sometimes a hat. And I don't understand.

You mean the one at the VERY end? And if you want Steven Blum he is a main character in season 3 and 4.

I get why people don't like them, I just don't think they are nearly as bad as people make them out to be.

Its magic. Can't think of any other explanation.

You mean the one at the VERY end? And if you want Steven Blum he is a main character in season 3 and 4.

I get why people don't like them, I just don't think they are nearly as bad as people make them out to be.

Its magic. Can't think of any other explanation.

Yes but he is not BlackWarGreymon in season 3 and 4. That's the key here.

We could hardly stand Davis in the first episode unless someone else made fun of him. Mimi... every damn line... In both dubs... ugh...

That's Sora's real character development!

Yes but he is not BlackWarGreymon in season 3 and 4. That's the key here.

We could hardly stand Davis in the first episode unless someone else made fun of him. Mimi... every damn line... In both dubs... ugh...

That's Sora's real character development!

Ah, good old Broodymon. I'm pretty sure I watched season 2 in the subs a while back because I really just wanted to watch the duel of the Wargreymons ep and found all of 02 streaming legally somewhere and just ran with it. Also feel like this happened with Tamers but another part of me is like "this never happened you crazy person". No idea which half of my crazy is correct.

See, what keeps me from disliking Davis is even though he is such an idiot his heart seems like its in the right place most the time. Though his rivalry with T.K. got old fast. I at least get why Mimi is the way she is, and she does get better over the course of the season. Again, I feel like them being 8-11 years old makes a lot of various things a ton more forgiving than they would otherwise be. Plus they do grow over their seasons. As said, I get why people don't like them, I do, but I'm cool with them.

Poor Sora. So little character development she ends up piggybacking off of Matt's at the end of season 1. Yea, that whole thing was dumb.

Anyway, since I brought age up a few times, I'm really curious to see what the characters are like now that they are High School age. We got a little of the "mature" digedestine with 02 (I love the scenes with Tai, Matt, and Izzy when they are camping) so I'm really curious what it will be like getting a whole season of it, especially since they are even older.

Also, looks like Tri is not delayed. I just stumbled onto an April Fools joke. Honestly, that might be the worse part of the holiday. Finding stuff days after the fact and not realizing it was part of a joke. I did at least notice something was up, but still unhappy I fell for it. It is still odd that we don't even have a date though, but I THINK the 17th might be when Tri starts. Honestly have no idea.

I don't really get the hate for Mimi to be perfectly honest. I felt she had one of the biggest changes out of the whole group. Even more so then Izzy(still love his crest episode) and he had some pretty solid development.

It's because of how obnoxious and spoiled she is through the majority of the season. It's like... imagine if that whiny rich girl from elementary school were put into an anime, and then you'd get Mimi. Yeah, she does get some good development and IS much more likable by the end of S1, but her personality is still annoying to a lot of people.

So it's not that she's a bad character or that she was underdeveloped, she just kinda had the short stick in the personality drawings. Honestly, I hated Kari much more then Mimi due to her almost refusal to develop at all and her sue-ish feeling. That and because episodes like the Numemon queen where Kari's a lightbulb for most of it exist.

Also, looks like Tri is not delayed. I just stumbled onto an April Fools joke. Honestly, that might be the worse part of the holiday. Finding stuff days after the fact and not realizing it was part of a joke. I did at least notice something was up, but still unhappy I fell for it. It is still odd that we don't even have a date though, but I THINK the 17th might be when Tri starts. Honestly have no idea.

I think I found that video you were talking about ._.

Agro, why didn't you like Mimi much? Sure she did nothing but whine in the earlier episodes but she became much more likable later. Also Lilymon is probally one of my favorite Ultimate Digimon of them all. Joe on the other hand was annoying... He never really seemed there and TK and Angemon was most of the time stealing the show anyway. Also we had our resident geek (izzy) so Joe wasn't needed.

Mimi was also a lot more likable in 02. She definately grew up.

02 was a mixed bag. Davis was enjoyable as Tai 2.0 but the other characters were a bit meh.... Ken was awesome though and it was great to see someone from the real world as a Bad Guy. Armor Digivolution was cool as well. 

Tamers was the best by far though. We had characters we could relate to, some of the best Digimon designs of them all (Renamon and her Digivolutions were f***ing epic) along with Biomerging later on. Also who else cried when Leomon died? I sure did....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SUpXuYlB-8

Also that Digivolution Theme for Tamers! Still gives me chills.

There are a lot of things about Mimi that she just doesn't actually grow out of. Mainly that she's a spoiled little rich girl. SOME things change, but not all. Like at all. We'll see if anything changes once we get to her appearance in 02, but atm, me and my friend were still yelling "Fuck you, Mimi" by the end of 01.

Davis right now will only be okay the more the show doesn't focus on his imaginary "rivalry" with TK, cuz it was really cringe-worthy in the first episode.

There are a lot of things about Mimi that she just doesn't actually grow out of. Mainly that she's a spoiled little rich girl. SOME things change, but not all. Like at all. We'll see if anything changes once we get to her appearance in 02, but atm, me and my friend were still yelling "f*** you, Mimi" by the end of 01.

Well she changes into a Pokemon gym leader... Does that make her any better?

I heard this was being delayed to July. Which is a shame, but this does give me a bit more incentive to go back and watch Digimon S1 to see what the deal was and maybe watch this if it's good.

Yea, that was an April fools joke. From what I can still its still starting some time this month, we just have NO idea when

Archived