What is your Favorite Archetype? (Discussion)

No matter how you Duel, you end up liking some cards more than others.  I've been playing this game for the better part of 10 - 12 years (basically, whenever the card game was first available in North America), and I've really taken a liking to cute Monsters (duh), my favorite so far being "Hypnocorn", because, come on!  Hypnocorn!  It's freaking awesome!  But I have also come to love card types, such as the Fairy-type, which I have made a very successful Deck out of.  My favorite angel is, of course, "Guardian Angel Joan".  But, before I even built my deck of Fairies, I loved and still do love the Gem-Knights.

My Favorite Archetype:

Without a doubt, I share a special bond with the Gem-Knight cards.  I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them and bought up as many as my wallet (or in this case, my allowance) would allow.  I bought my first couple of Gem-Knights when I was... probably around 12 or 13.  I'm now in college and I STILL haven't completed my Deck, lol.  Acquiring all of the cards I need (at a decent price) is my main problem, but I do get some more, little by little, and the more cards I'm able to add, the more I love my Gem-Knights.  I know I am not the only person to use these Monsters, but I feel like I am, and that's the most important thing.  I really really do enjoy playing with these cards and they are gosh darn gorgeous to look at.  In case you were wondering, my favorite Gem-Knight is "Gem-Knight Lapis" - she's so adorable :3

My friends also use various archetypes - namely the Geargia, Ancient Gear, etc. and my other friend uses Fire Kings and Six Samurai, mainly.  So, this brought me to thinking, what are your favorite archetypes?  If you don't like archetypes, what's your favorite kind of Deck to use (WATER, WIND, etc. and/or Plant-type, Zombie-type, etc.)?  Are there any kinds of Decks you absolutely HATE playing against?  Do you have a least favorite archetype?

My Least Favorite Archetype:

I absolutely hate playing against Six Samurai / Shien Decks.  They swarm so hard, and I usually can't keep up.  Heck, I really try my best to destroy them and can sometimes destroy two or three per turn, or maybe even all of them, but next turn at least three more will come back to the field, more than likely with really annoying effects.  I know this is a really good archetype because it works, but that doesn't mean I have to like it :/

So again, tell me your opinions!  I want to hear them!   :D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Favourite: Dragunities. I just loved the idea of dragon's based around weapons. I got the structure deck right at the end of secondary school, and I'm still trying to develop a deck list digitally. I don't tend to use them much anymore, cos they're so outmatched, but They're definitely the deck I fell most connected to.

Least Favourite: I hate playing against lightsworns. Every time I think my opponent is done, nope, more discards. Then Judgement dragon just materialises, and I basically stop trying. -_-

Favorite:

• E-HERO (though I wish they got another WIND Main Deck besides Stratos; especially for Mask Change purposes)
  • Ice Barrier (field control and stuff)
  • MPBs (recent, but airplanes are awesome. To an extent, I suppose it's related to my major; but that's aeronautics and I'm not getting a degree in there. Too bad their boss is expensive/out of stock)
  • Blackwings (Crow was cool in 5Ds; and Deck is also great)

Least Favorite:

• BAs (see recent status; Fire Lake + Dante and a lot of other crap)

That's about it for now.

Favorite: Cyber Dragon, Infernoids, and Wights

Cyber Dragon got Infinity which can control what your opponent can and can't do, which I love (I also play Control in mtg) because that's the kind of person I am. Infernoids similarly like controlling the field and so, I love them. Wights are awesome because it's fun to stomp on level 8 monsters with a level 1 monster. 

Least Favorite: Lightsworn and BA. They rely on dumping the right cards and not dumping a certain boss. It's dull. At least Infernoids can come back from dumping their bosses. 

Favourite Archetype: Dragunity. I don't remember what made me start liking them, but they're a deck that I've been playing for a considerable amount of time even after the loss of Ravine (I still miss the card, damn Rulers abusing it). I don't play the deck much these days even with Lance, but I'll continue to ride dragons in spirit.

Least favourite Archetype: Lightsworn. They're not the most fun deck to play against, and the mirror isn't fun to watch either.

Favorite: Alien. A whole bunch of cool mechanics on top of a great set of flavor and crazy strategies.

Least favorite: Lightsworn. The theme is weak, the mechanics don't make any sense, and the strategy is "dump, cross fingers,drop boss". Dull.

Indeed on Lightsworns

Favorite: Dolls. Maaan, I have so many reasons for that. First they revived a dying mechanic and made it so fun and flowing, the art is beautiful and the idea is wonderful. I love the locks each El Shaddoll tries to enforce and how they complement each other. (Nephilim + Winda = Aggressive pressure maker + Passive locker.  Shekhinaga / Egrystal + Winda = Locks for OPT Special Summon while the other negates it. Also how Anomalilith complements Egrystal by almost completing the range of Special Summoning they stop, etc.). Needless to say, they really fascinate me. 

Least favorites: Lightsworns & Six Sams for the reasons stated above, and Satellarknights - cuz not being as bland as a banana is forbidden right? 

Favorite:

Gishki- The first Ritual Archetype! Has great looking monster designs (shout-out to my homie H.P. Lovecraft) and is fast and simple to play.

Jurracs-  It's flaming dinos.... (just look at my sig). It has a field nuke Synchro in the shape of a Meteor, a gigantic beatstick that can make Aeolo run over a Blue-eyes and freaking Titano (that is a great boss card yet hardly used as the deck variant that focuses on tributes isn't the best)..

Karakuri- I'm in love with their designs as well. Especially the Synchros.
Symphonics (different variants) Currently I believe Symphonic Karakuri is the best build for them but I also like making builds that focus more on the symphonics themselves and the new support they got. Guitaars is a beautiful card that gives a whole new perspective on how pendulums can be played. Also, the archetype takes a lot of thought when it comes to bringing out their full potential.

Nekroz: The first competitive Ritual Archetype! No matter how much people may hate them, they are definitely in my top 5. I especially love how they are descendants of Gishki, making the mechanic almost exclusive to them. The overwhelming power they have is mostly from the already existing ritual support anyway making it a fairly balanced deck without it (bar Trish maybe)

Least Favorite:
Qlips- the art feels soulless and cold, the playstyle is an abuse on a new mechanic and can make use of floodgates way too easily. And it manages to stay tier 0 without even needing an extra deck most of the time. And to top it off it's laughably easy to play. 

My favourite archetype's always been Blackwings. It was the first good deck I played, they look really cool and I'm quite fond of their playstyle.

My least favourite? Probably Infernity. They're ridiculously boring to play against because every game tends to be scooping turn 1 after waiting 10 minutes for one play, or just beating down and winning easily. I really dislike the "win t1 or brick" playstyle and I don't even find them that fun to play myself.

i'd really hate to tick everyone off but my favorite has been six samurai,ive liked them since Strike of Neos.i never did like tribute summoning for some reason and they didnt have to to get the big ones out

when there alone they are not that strong but when they are together they are stronger and work as a team(kinda like real life which is cool),they would even take a hit for each other

i cant really think of an archetype i hate really

Out of any deck I use or will use, Lswarms (Steelswarm & Evilswarm) will always have a pedestal reserved for them in my book. I started out using Steelswarms after being introduced to them in a duel puzzle for the YCS 2011 video game. I quickly took a liking to them because of their design and liked them even more after I found out they were ancient, apocalyptic demons according to their lore (even if the archetype itself is pretty underwhelming). I built a deck around them, making them the first deck I used built on an archetype instead of an attribute or type. The deck worked fairly well, but eventually it started falling behind some much faster decks. I still opted to use them for the time being though, meanwhile reading up on DT lore. That's where the Evilswarm came in, and I loved the concept of them being the product of a virus released by the Steelswarm upon their defeat.
Like I did with Steelswarms, I read some guides on Evilswarms to see how they worked. I liked their playstyle and anti-meta nature, but not how almost every guide basically suggested the same builds (pure, rescue rabbit). I also didn't want to just toss their progenitors to the side. So, I had the idea to bring both of the Swarms together, and I did. After a lot of testing and refining the deck, I finally got to a build that was effective and good at using both aspects of the archetypes. It was devastating when it went off successfully, and I won a great amount of duels with it online. I made the deck irl too and still plan on using it for the most part. Even if it's started to fall behind some of the newer decks today, it's still going to be my favorite, particularly because it's a deck I spent a lot of time building and using.

Next up for favorite archetypes would be Fire Kings, another deck I have irl and enjoy using. I actually decided to use these guys on a whim; I had been thinking a change of pace from Lswarms would be nice, got into a random duel against Fire Kings, and decided they had an interesting playstyle. Other than their playstyle, I like the stories behind the monsters (Garuda, Yaksha, Barong) in regards to the myths they come from, and how their playstyle basically symbolizes reincarnation. Their in-game lore of being at war against the Atlantean is pretty badass, and I'm all for the Fire Kings blasting those guys back to the depths they came from.

This is a recent one, but I've taken a good linking towards the Different Dimension Demons (D/D/D). They are a fast and powerful pendulum archetype that's interesting to me because of the idea of the "Covenants", which remind me a lot of the Faustian Bargain, one of my favorite stories and themes in literature. Their monsters have great design too.

LEAST FAVORITE Archetypes? Qliphorts, Nekroz, Tellarknights, and Yosenju. Qliphorts are ridiculously broken and boring to play against and WITH. I hope the next banlist completely wrecks them and renders them unplayable. I didn't hate Nekroz so much at first, but after playing against them several times, they're just another degenerate archetype made to grab money. I hate their lore too. Harnessing the powers of world - destroying dragons and now a fricking GODDESS? You're kidding me -_-. Tellarknights are boring in playstyle and design, and Yosenjus... I think their art looks pretty dumb and find it dumb how they bounce and abuse Floodgates like nothing.

My favorite archtypes:

-Jurracs.  Stated above, they're dinosaurs on fire and they're an archtype based around the concept of battling your opponent.  It was glorious.

-Naturias, if only because Fruitfly Control was the most hilarious thing ever.

-Bujins.  I deeply enjoyed the concept of having the Beast-Warrior out while being aided from the directions of the hand and the grave while controlling what your opponent brings out.  Good times...

-Raidraptors are starting to rise as one of my all-time favorites.  They're basically the lovechild of Blackwings and Tellarknights except not boring.

My least favorite archtypes:

-Guhhh, Infernities.  They're such a one-trick pony that rely on spamming out and topdecking Archfiend.  And, without Archfiend, they're complete garbage.

-Dragon Rulers can go fornicate themselves.  Their interactions with each other are just dumb

-Gladiator Beasts.  Like Jurracs, they were based around the concept of battling.  Unlike Jurracs, they have to hide behind every single conceivable trap in the game.  They were cowards.

My favorite changes with the wind, but right now I would have to say Red-Eyes, now that it's getting actual support that is AMAZING and the original Red-Eyes is my favorite monster.

Least favorite archetypes (can't choose just one) are Stellarknights (boring and uninspired in design and concept, they're just a boring Constellar), Qliphorts (for obvious reasons), Lightsworns (for how few f***s they give about you doing anything when they can drop triple JD easy) and Melodious (Aria is so. Horribly. Designed).

Ill love Heraldic Beasts forever and ever. Their anime appearance was freaking epic, also got incredible art design. For some reason i dont like the ocg support thaat much, i mean, they got pretty stronger, but the play style changed a bit with the new cards, although i still enjoy amphis.
My second favorite are wind ups. Still waiting for decent support. Or maybe just the return of Zenmaity at 1. Pls Konami, you dont know how happu you could make someone with that :D
Atm, im sticking with ritual beasts and fluffals. Other than being extremely exaustive to play with for a long time, rbs r much fun and have a lot of potential to beat some meta decks. Fluffals bcz cuteness and use a lot 1 of my fav cards (poly) in a pretty decent way.

Decks i hate are BA and Qli. But i guess theyll be ok after this next list.

My absolute, favorite archetype would be Crystal Beasts. Pretty much the deck that made me stick to YGO, and the first proper deck I play to boot.

Other favorites would be Ritual Beasts, Madolche, Shadolls, Infernoids, and Spell Counter Spellcasters. Though, I only liked RB and 'noids due to ridiculous amount of playtesting with them which made the deck grew on me.

I quite dislike the concept of Inzektors even now, though I don't really hate them that much. And..that's probably it.

Absolute favorite of mine would have to be Alien or Cloudian. They both depend on counters and unconventional strategy, but I'm a sucker for weird crap. Also, i always liked counters as a mechanic for some reason.

Least favorite would have to Inzektors (before they were hit with the ban hammer and became non existent). I was honestly scared to playing yugioh when they were still around. I usually left the duel the moment hornet came out. Buuuut, that was a long time ago and I haven't play in this meta long enough to know how bad it is.

I'm not sure if this is an Archtype, but I love level up monsters. Just the concept of starting off small, but becoming more powerful as time passes. And that sometimes, you don't need that bigger sword or to grow up. Sometimes your smaller forms are more useful.
That's just me.

I hate Hieratics... And Lightsworn... And Evilswarm... Just... Everyone uses them, and I always either lose by bull crap or win by deck out. That's no fun.

My favorite archetype is, and always will be, Gustos. I just love everything about them. Like seriously, everything. The art, the theme, their hipster deck status and ofc the playstyle. SphreezeTK is always fun to slap meta decks with, and their general trollishness is really quite entertaining, especially on DN. My only criticism about them is that they miss timing when they're synchroed, otherwise they're basically god synchro.dek. Like, seriously. I ran a Gusto deck with erratas on Gulldo and Falco and Egul and they ended up being, essentially, unlimited synchro works that becomes unlimited plus works with Librarian. Well, pre-hit at least. also caam and winda are best waifus, and kamui is best trap

I don't really have a least favorite archetype, tbh. I don't get all the Lightsworn hate (Okay, Judgement Dragon is a bastard but apart from him the deck's pretty cool imo). I would say Nekroz/Shaddoll/Qli but those have pretty cool themes and flavor to them, so I can't really hate them. Also Nekroz is cosplay.dek and as a cosplayer myself, I am contractually obligated to like them.

Favourite would have to be Shaddolls. Love the artwork, the flavour and the playstyle. Also the fact that they made Fusions relevant again.

Least favourite(s) would be Evilswarm, Tellars and BA. They're all so boring and linear and all the cards are the same or they're just Archetype versions of something that's been done before. BA especially have the laziest artwork out there.

I would have to say I like the unloved archetypes, like the Malicevorous and Crashbugs; but I also have a soft spot for the Ancient Gears, Gimmick Puppets, and the Gogogos. I honestly have a like for theme decks, rather than archetypes, but those are my favourites.

I hate LS, Unfairnity, Ritual Beasts, and Infernoids with every fibre of my being.

Archived