What is your Favorite Archetype? (Discussion)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Qliphorts are one of my favourite archetypes.

But hear me out. I do agree that their mechanics are downright disgusting to witness on both ends. But their backstory is quite interesting. Reading the flavour text on Qliphort Scout got me interested in the faction and rather heavily damaged the fourth wall regarding the DT world. The fact that they are following this "Tierra", a supposed direct opposite to Sophia, and that the Shaddolls have some plans regarding them drove up my interest regarding these alien machines and their motives in the world.

My least favourite would probably be the Elemental HEROes. Their support was EVERYWHERE in the GX period packs, most of them rather underwhelming or overly specific. They got better and appreciable when the Omni-HEROes appeared, but crossed back into bullshit when the HERO's Strike Deck supplied them with Dark Law.

I... dunno.

I like Fableds, Performapals, D/D, Hunder, and a lot of other stuff, but... I don't know if I can pin a favorite. Performapals are tons of fun to play, and I like theorizing what they'll get. I actively love to design support for D/D, both implied (Phantom Mailady, Prideful King Archfiend) or in-theme because they're a fun idea to mess with. Fableds are one of the first coherent decks I stuck to and, despite the bad, have a place in my heart, and Hunder are the first deck I worked on completely by my lonesome. Shaddolls are also one of the few competitive decks I've ever really found myself enjoying, and I do like the DT story.

I do know I tend to really hate LS, though they're not the worst deck. Just annoy me. I don't much like Nekroz, either.

I'm ridiculously fond of Heraldic Beasts. They're kind of a fun Deck to fool around with, while still maintaining the good stuff of being a Rank 4 Deck, plus Heraldics' awesome support cards. Coming in close second is Galaxy, because I love Galaxy-Eyes and spent a ridiculous amount of time toying with the Deck concept before they actually made Galaxy a real archetype.

There aren't really any archetypes I outright hate, but I don't enjoy playing with Lightsworn. They're very strong and can do stupid stuff, but the stupid stuff they can do is ridiculously overwhelming, especially when testing against Heraldics or Galaxy. It's luck-based and if you didn't get absolutely horrible draws/mills, you can drop 8K of damage or more in an instant. After wiping the board.

Favorite(s):

• Noble Knights (by a long shot)
  • Red-Eyes
  • Wight

Least Favorite: 

• Roid

I like Noble Knights the most because to be honest, it pulled me back into Yu-Gi-Oh. It was the one deck that I actually made work by myself rather than ask other people what to do and learned how to use it and the such whilst new support was still coming out for it. As a fan of the Arthurian Legends, when I saw Noble Knight Artorigus, I was begging for more. And I was so happy we did. Not only that, but in terms of flavor, I like how each knight relates to his own background story one way or another.

But my favorite part is the whole unique playstyle of switching Noble Arms/needing them to activate effects because it gives the illusion of a warrior unable to do anything without a sword (like Borz not having an effect without a Noble Arms) and when the warrior falls, his comrade picks it up. In other words, it was what I always thought the relation between Warrior-Type monsters and Equip Spell Cards should have always been.

I like Red-Eyes for the whole nostalgia factor (typical, I know) and the fact that it was always an underdog. Always a cut below Blue-Eyes. And Red-Eyes just had so many "forms" (Darkness, Metal, etc.) that I just came to like it more.

And Wights because... well, I find them cute and endearing. And the fact that their boss monster gains more power in relation to the Graveyard, which is what I thought a Zombie boss monster should have been like.

The Roid archetype is my least favorite because... to put it frankly, I found it lame. Like they just decided to put eyes on vehicles and call it good; reminded me of the Disney movie Cars. And not only that, but the archetype as a whole was, and still is, vulnerable to so many cards. I just felt like they could have been better. 

As a fan of the Arthurian Legends, when I saw Noble Knight Artorigus, I was begging for more. And I was so happy we did. Not only that, but in terms of flavor, I like how each knight relates to his own background story one way or another.

I would love an archetype based off Egyptian Mythology. It's always fascinated me. (the Egyptian Gods don't count) Or Greek (there are a few random cards, but..)

Qliphorts are one of my favourite archetypes.

But hear me out. I do agree that their mechanics are downright disgusting to witness on both ends. But their backstory is quite interesting. Reading the flavour text on Qliphort Scout got me interested in the faction and rather heavily damaged the fourth wall regarding the DT world. The fact that they are following this "Tierra", a supposed direct opposite to Sophia, and that the Shaddolls have some plans regarding them drove up my interest regarding these alien machines and their motives in the world.

This is one of the reasons I first played Qlips. And Infernoids (plus the fact that they looked epic).

Now that I think about it more, I tend to greatly favour highly underused archetypes such as the Crashbugs or Malicevorous because I like to have projects. I like to see if I can bring out some hidden depths to the cards, in order to increase their power and utility. Because really, sure it feels good to win with whatever is top at the times, but it is TRULY satisfying to consistently win with a Billy-class deck.

Favorite archetype:
• Koa'ki Meiru, but only the Rock-Type monsters. Koa'ki Meirus were a cool idea but very poorly implemented. The rock-types provide Rock Stun, a deck type that I enjoy in that I can counter my opponent's moves, but they know exactly what I can directly negate (while my facedown S/T keep my surprise combat game alive). It's a very skill-intensive deck for both the user and "slower" decks that play against it.

Close second:
• Aliens, or at least if monsters weren't so easily disposable. The A-Counter mechanic is really cool, but monsters (and A-Counters) don't stick around long enough to matter (at least during the synchro era. Maybe Xyz stick around longer).

Least favorite archetypes:
• Lightsworns - otherwise known as lucksack city.
• any archetype that uses its "costs" for added benefit, or otherwise oversynergizes with itself, to be able to use five cards to activate what feels like at least ten cards/effects in one turn. (This is even more annoying if negating and destroying one of them just leads to another effect to continue the process anyway.) Decks guilty of this include but are not limited to: Mermails, Shaddolls, Burning Abyss, Inzektors, Hieratics, and even Noble Knights to an extent.
• Tellarknights, the perhaps the most generic archetype in the entire game in terms of card design.

1st: Gimmick Puppets. The mechainc is fun and quick, not really too-onesided and the powerful rank 8's out there usually cinch the win

2nd: Heraldics. Basic rank 4 swarm before tellarknights

3rd: Battlin Boxers/Tellarknights. This is ONLY because of 86. I could tolerate boxers without it, but they just aren't powerful enough for me.

4th: Galaxy-Eyes. See 1st.

5th: Railway: I've always loved trains and the name for a lot of them (esp. Super Dreadnought Rail Cannon Gustav Max) are awesome. Rocket Arrow Express will never make any sense to me.

6th: Yubel. High-Level game winners + requires strategy. Lovely for ragequitting and upsetting

7th: Sophia. I love sophia's eff, esp. with Gren Maju da Eiza and it makes for a game that heavily involves strategy

Batterymen, Spellbooks, U.A., Frogs, and Plant princesses/Rose monsters share the top spot for me. mostly because I like decks that slow down the gamestate and decks that possess versatility in their overall strategies. I know batterymen don't really fit those criteria, but they were the first deck I've ever built seriously, so they stand up there with the rest.

as for least favorite, lightsworns(JD in particular, the rest is actually pretty balanced), Exodia(they lack any real interaction), Quasar/cyber dragon infinity(same end goal, no matter what deck abuses them) and it's currently a love/hate with Nekroz.

I actually forgot about Wight and some other Archetypes...

Favorite Archetypes? Hm, Blackwings is one of them. They rely on their Whirlwind, Gale and quick Xyz Summoning, but: There's a variety of them, a variety of strategies can be made with them and, like Jurracs, they are offensive. Their backrow can be really heavy but that's a result of their vulnerability to anything outside attacks.  (Btw, I may be the only BW user that uses no more than 2 Whirlwinds and 2 Shuras.)

I may like Raidraptors, not only because of their capabilities but also because they're like a faster and richer BW counterpart. Besides these two, Hieratics is another one (although I hardly ever played with them) and some others.

As for Decks/Archetypes I hate: I wouldn't call it 'hate' but rather 'being annoyed', due to their ability to almost lock the opponent's moves or overwhelm the field while maintaining a hand/Graveyard. Such are Shaddolls, BA (which I've yet to duel against online) and infernities. But those Qlips, oh man what a pain! It's probably because I don't give my all, but the way they are re-Summoned every single turn... indescribable. 

Lastly, a thought I have: We hate some decks because of the stuff they can do, but we don't give a s*** when our deck is such. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Lastly, a thought I have: We hate some decks because of the stuff they can do, but we don't give a s*** when our deck is such. Please tell me I'm wrong.

I can't exactly say you're wrong, but I often don't use some of my decks against people unless requested because it feels like the deck is just cheap. for example, I ran exodia a while back and I'd only use it when the other person specifically requested it.

there are a lot of decks that fall off of my favorite radar because they are either no fun to use, or no fun to play against.

The Archetypes I like include Cloudian, Frogs, and Superheavy Sams. However, I prefer to play non archetype decks that have closely related cards like the VWXYZ Unions, Gradius.dek, and Rock-flip.

Oh, I've also taken a liking to the Fire Kings. I'm going to see if I can make it my first truly competitive deck.

I don't like playing against Nekroz or Qli and Lightswarns are still extremely live at my local shop so I dislike playing against them.

I love Lightsworns, y'all can suck it. No Wulf, no Gardnas, no Peropero, no Diabolos, no Chaos. Just straight Lightsworns, triple Solar Recharge, triple Judgment Dragon and hard reads.

Least favorite is Hieratics. Winning feels like they drew badly rather than that I outplayed them.

Fire Kings are one of my favourite for the sole reason of their art, I do enjoy they play style but their art is the main reason I like them. Another favourite is Gishkis, don't play the standard Gishki builds but focus on a Rank 6 variety using all level 6 rituals and Malicious for easy M7 and Bounzer.

Least favourite would most likely be BA, Fire lakes is annoying and they can easily recycle it if they lose/mill it. While I didn't find Shaddolls annoying in their early days they have became more annoying as they can easily stop Special Summons and such.

My favorite archetype, as everyone knows, is Dustons.

They were innovative in a way the Ojamas were not, allowed for silly combos and OTKs, and have arguably one of the most unfair bosses in the game, difficult as it is to bring him out in his most powerful setup.

Archived