What is your Favorite Archetype? (Discussion)

Favorite? Likely Scraps, because when they have a good hand, they are simply hysterical in the card advantage they can create. Of course, at the same time, I prefer grindier games, so in practive my favorite archetypes are Traptrix and Volcanic.

Least favorite will have to be Gravekeepers. I enjoy a controlling game, but considering that the entire deck is based around an annoying floodgate, I cant stand it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite archtype:

Monarchs for sure. I mean, they are supposed to be the rulers of the yugioh world, who can be stronger than them? There is even a theory that they became the Mega Monarchs after defeating the Dragon Rulers (which was a Tier 0 Deck for me).

Artwork is amazing, their effect is something worth of a ruler and (most of them) are are related to their Attribute (DARK; banish, WIND; spin, etc.).

And they ARE a competitive Deck, no matter what, there is alwasy a room for Monarchs in the Meta.

Also use the nostalgic engine of tribute summoning, amazing. 

Is a deck you REQUIRE skill to play, not an auto-pilot.dek.

Too much good things to say about them.

Least favorite:

Nekroz for sure. Ridiculous auto-pilot deck with no skill requirement to play. No effort to plus and totally wrecks the original idea of Ritual monsters. They broke cards that was totally balanced, making them go to the Banlist and ruining the consistency of less powerful decks.

I kinda dislike the Artwork of them too. Really, they look like harmless kids/teenagers with such powerful effects. 

Least favorite:

Nekroz for sure. Ridiculous auto-pilot (well, not really. The deck has a large variety of plays based on the vast searchability and interactions with Kaleidomirror) deck with no skill requirement (though they are not the most skill-intensive deck, they actually are not the easiest thing to pilot. Yes, a novice can stomp casual deck with nekroz, but that is true with any meta deck. Just because a deck is powerful does not mean it does not require skill.) to play. No effort to plus and totally wrecks the original idea of Ritual monsters (by "original idea of ritual monsters" do you mean unplayable trash/gishki FTKs? Because that is what rituals were before). They broke cards that was totally balanced (a more accurate assessment would be "they showed us how broken some cards actually were when they had anything decent to grab from the deck), making them go to the Banlist and ruining the consistency of less powerful decks (if, by less powerful decks, you mean casual relinquished.dek, that is not something konami should be concerned about).

I kinda dislike the Artwork of them too. Really, they look like harmless kids/teenagers with such powerful effects. 

Responses in purple. Sorry, but these arguments really tend to irk me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this seemingly, but what can you do:

Favorite Archetype: Infernity
Don't get me wrong, I get why everyone hates Infernity, but I like Infernity for many reasons. Usually when I look at an archetype I take note of some things, a few which include it being a skillful Deck (Meaning the player who doesn't know what they are doing will surely get floored), risk vs reward, being DARK cause I have a fascination with demonic edgy stuff, and having some sort of really interesting mechanic. Infernity fills all of that really, and for that I just enjoy throwing down with it. With the 1 Archfiend, I've been striving more than ever to create the best build for the Deck, and the Synchro build I run has put me to the test more than ever, even with F0 fixing a few problems here and there. I like the challenge, and I plan to stick with the Deck for a while, and survive the format somehow

Least Favorite Archetype: Qli
Qli are one of those Decks that anger me because they basically turn drawbacks into advantage, notably Vanity's Emptiness and Skill Drain. I'm glad both of them are hit, along with Saqlifice. I think in general the archetype just was much like Wind Ups where it didn't have a lot of positive going for it when it was meta, and who knows, maybe it'll be a cute Tier 3 Deck like Wind Ups themselves. Like Wind Ups and their insane spam and locks, there isn't a lot you can do about their obscene fields, but the minute you cut off the floodgates, a big beatstick usually just says no aside from Towers.

Don't worry, a lot of people didn't like Qlis either (and it reflected well into CC in terms of new support cards being taboo).

Anyway, I've also taken a liking to U.As and Heraldrics lately (didn't mention it initially due to time constraints).

U.A's make a nice Deck that can get out things nicely, and with the SECE support; provided more things for them. Midfielder is really helpful though, although my one true gripe is basically the majority of the monster slots being Level 5 and over; although Stormforth and things circumvent it to an extent. Also the minimalist need for an Extra Deck is also pleasant, especially since a lot of the good R5s are expensive. (Online version doesn't have that problem)

I honestly look forward to the CROS support, and can't wait to get them (just hope one of them is a new Level 4 and under). Honestly would like to have another engine to help the Deck besides Midfielder; as to not base my Deck solely on getting him out in order to cycle (during NS). And of course, Midfielder is sold out right now.

---

Latter is nice R4 spam, and summons really nicely. It's probably after watching subbed ZEXAL lately that I start to appreciate the Deck even further. A bit late to start playing, but so far it's doing quite nicely.

Most of the parts are relatively cheap though at dealership [and in sufficient quantities]. Number 8 is sold out however, but they'll probably reprint it in ZEXAL's Legendary collection. I'll definitely will try to get the OCG stuff in Superstars next month, like 18, Amphisbaena and their Field Spell.

----

I have a sort of love/hate relationship with Nekroz though.

While I do appreciate their designs and how well they function, it's not really fun being on the receiving end; even if it is against the AI in a mirror match (without script).

Yeah, I almost got killed by my own recipe (though I can attribute it to a lot of you for helping it become good).

Then again, it seems that a lot of people have taken up to playing the Deck before I started testing it, so...

That in mind, I'm not really a fan of their huge price tag in the real game either [at the time]; so basically an online Deck. (Prices went down, but no Brio/Valkyrus).

Actually, I'm going to amend what I said earlier.

D/D is definitely my favorite. I've always enjoyed gimmicks that let you access multiple card types (part of why I enjoyed Shaddolls) and multi-attribute (lesser here, but), I've always liked fiends (since I was, like, 7-8 years old, Necrofear was my favorite card other than Red-Eyes), and the fact that it draws from Fire Fist design in a sense makes me like it, as well. It is, like Fire Fist, very fluid between its different summoning methods. It just happens that Fusion is the most prevalent, then generic Xyz (the xyz side of d/d needs some help), then Synchro/Pendulum. But, all of the types, sans Ritual, are there, and I just really enjoy that.

It reminds me of my favorite parts of most decks I've liked all together, while incorporating some design from one of the most coherently designed archetypes Konami has ever made. The fact that FF are so important to Lily just makes me enjoy this deck even more, because my old favorite deck was like a Fire Fist-lite, and this is like Fiend!Fist, with some obvious changes to fit the type better/the character theme better than just straight-up fist design would.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the deck, and D'Arc is the glue the deck needed for me to 'main' it.

Favorite:

Shaddolls: Not only I like their backstory, theme (dark/evil puppets), playstyle (Fusion + Flips + float + attribute flexibility, interesting mix) and strength, but they are also one of the few archetype/decks that both I have liked AND have been relevant at some point in the metagame. Usually I am not a fan of meta decks because of their playstyles and/or powercreep, but Shaddolls are one of the exceptions; the other being Machinas, or to be precise, the Machina engine, back when their Structure Deck was released.

Genex, specifically R-Genex: I like their theme of machines running on different energy sources, the main deck monsters have a cute Gadget-ish playstyle (except that they cannot be easily played because of their different Levels), while the Synchros are cool (e.g. Locomotion). Unfortunately, I would say they were left under-supported as they don't even have Spell/Trap support, but I still hold my hopes that someday Konami will suddenly give them a couple of toys that will make them, perhaps not top tier, but at least much better, as they did with Gustos (Pirika) and Worms (Nebula Meteorite); something like an archetype Laser Qlip + a Pirika would be amazing.

Ally of Justice: I liked them as soon as they were announced: Machines designed to be good but are ironically DARK? nice concept. Plus they have an inherent advantage vs. LIGHTs? hell yes. Of course, they didn't do well and I look at them are more of a failed experiment because they entirely relied on the opponent being LIGHT to make their plays, or on "DNA Transplant", so with no LIGHTs, no plays; plus, like with Genex, they didn't get any decent support, not even Spell/Traps. If only they worked well by themselves AND gained extra bonuses vs. LIGHTs (see the approach on Aromages, who gain cute bonuses if you have more LP but you don't need more LP to play use them), they would have been much more efficient.

Least favorite:

Grapha Dark World: To hell with these guys. Really, I disliked them after at one duel in DN the opponent managed to force me to use Machina Fortress' discard effect, triggering whatever DW it had in hand at that time (back when Machinas, Agents and DWs Grapha were the "big 3", Machinas were my preferred pick). Plus, what Grapha did to its kind wasn't cool at all in my opinion: instead of contributing to turning the other DWs good or relevant, it degenerated the archetype into Grapha.dek. Really, Grapha should have been named Opressor or Tyrant  of the Dark World, or something among those lines.

Finally, I find the DARK/Fiend typing archetypes bland/boring because of its overuse.

Other mentions: BAs for their floatiness and mostly DARK/Fiends, Infernities because loops, and Hieratics because OTKs; but I don't dislike them as much as DWs.

• 1 month later...

Lightsworns because the most things they do is spam the Graveyard, drop triple JDs and whatever and go for game.

Also keep in mind they got new OCG support in CORE (and more ways to spam JD is something a few members really hate).

Infernities, not really sure, but I seem to recall they are Synchro spam happy and do a lot of things.

(In other words, they're auto-pilot)

[spoiler=And I doubt this pic is still relevant, because a lot of the cards here are banned now, but might give you an idea]

Infernity.png

[/spoiler]

I may be wrong about some of the stuff above, but that's what I seem to remember.

---

On a sidenote, U.As just might become my new #1 once the support comes out.

My favorite deck is either Infernity or Ritual Beast, just because the skill and knowledge they require. I love combo decks with diversity. I also love Nekroz just because of the amazing theme and power, although sometimes I kind of hate on them for the djinn.

Before Shaddolls came out, Dragunities were my favourite. I always liked their playstyle and how much raw power they can dish out (and then Tempest made the Deck more consistent which was awesome). Then when Shaddolls came out, Dragunities were starting to become power-creeped out of the game and I could literally stare at the card formerly known as "Nephilim" allllll daaaaaayyy long.

Least favourite, while not necessarily an "Archetype", is Chain Burn. "Oh, you're going to keep drawing. Oh, you're going to keep flipping cards. Oh, you're going to keep using Scarecrow. Oh, you're going to keep using Battle Fader. That's cool."

Another of my least favourite would be Dragon Rulers, definitely. Even though you don't hear much of them anymore, it made me not want to play that entire format because that bullshit was dumb af.

I am just going to state some obvious ones here.

Favorites:
HERO
Sylvan
Jars and Pots

Reasons:
I have been using HEROs since my restart when GX started. I don't know why, maybe it was concept or maybe cheap deck. This archetype I have always loved and probably won't stop.

Sylvans I loved since they got revealed. Their new concept amazed me, and I just loved them to death.

Jars and Pots are just something I love to do in limited format for S&G. Purely just for fun and used to irritate tjthe opponent with Dice and Morphing Jars.

Favorite: Blue-Eyes. Even though its not "smart" to summon a 4500 beatstick, I still do it anyways. Ancient Gears. If I Power Bond my first turn and you ain't got nothing, lights out. Dustons. I love hitting a meta deck with these guys and watch as they can't figure out what to do with them.

Least Favorite: Six Samurai. The ability to swarm that fast is annoying and when you try to get rid of the one you want gone they choose a different one instead. The Shien lock is bulls*** and quite frankly, I duel a Six Samurai deck everywhere I go, they're quite boring. How many people you see using UAGG?

Favorites: Star Seraphs and Raid Raptors

Raidraptors are so glorious and since my favorite monster comes from this archetype (Revolution falcon) it seems so fitting. It's also a deck that isn't just easy wins and pretty much does what lametellas do except they are much cooler.

Star Seraphs were my old main deck (Just used an xyz spam build with monk, goldfish, kage).

Least Favorite: NEKROZ, Tellas, Igknight (before ruling), Qlis, Infernity and Lightsworn (Scrubsworn)

Nekroz is literally probably the most "pick this deck and win" deck ever. You can search your whole deck off of many cards in the deck AND you have many unfair plays for such little effort. Let's not forget Djinn Lock either. This deck is either "Search all day and kill opponent" or "Sit on Trish summoned off of Releaser and watch your opponent not play".

Tellas is set 4 pass and hide behind traps.dek. I don't like that.

Igknight before the ruling is self explanatory. Qlis left such a bad taste in my mouth that I hate them even after they were hit hard. Same with Infernity.

Scrubsworn is so fucking dumb in so many ways and it doesn't help that THEY CAN FUCKING SEARCH JD NOW.

Talk about skilless lmfao

Shaddolls are my #1 absolute favorite deck. I've played and experimented them since their beginnings of DUEA OCG on DN, and I've made my first IRL deck with it the moment they got released here in TCG. Needless to say, it's an archetype with infinite possibilities of creating multiple hybrid decks and opens up to multiple strategies and mixups that I will never get bored of. It's incredibly fun using the Dolls as an engine along with Lightsworns, Seraphs, Volcanics, Trains, or almost virtually anything else, and since Sibylls are on their way, that makes everything beyond delicious. It's a non-linear style that focuses on many core aspects of dealing with opponents versus +1'ing all day, and I'll never get tired of fusing anything for the Dolls. Add on top a smexy lore and design style and it's a total peak of interest for me. Fuck all you salty haters; Winda will always be the supreme waifu.

Honorable mentions would be:
-Fire Fist 3.5-4 Axis (Super consistent. May be linear in play but opens up to power creeping strategies and enable much interaction)

-Infernoid (I just love the lore and design so much. It's fairly luck based, but it's a challenging deck to master and encourages a well planned strategy to OTK while loopholing so many things)

-Heraldic (Classic Rank 4 spam, with much +1 versatility and much RUM options. Gotta love restocking Castel material)

-Dragon Rulers (Not the shitty herpderp deck with Lightsworns. At the very least, a standard Mystic Ruler build was very fun comboing into many powerful beaters. A great Aggro option)

-Raidraptors (Uber-tier natural consistency, with the drawback of trying to handle 3 Level 4s. Yet they allow access to high power Xyzs and create wacky mixups. Ruri represent!)

-Dragunity (Classic Dragon combos with a neat unity mechanic with Synchros. Even more sexier now with Ravine back in action~)

The worst ones would be:

-Satellarknight (All it is, is just Vega -> Altair -> Deneb, then TREEEVIRR herpaderp and then x4 backrow. It's neat with the recycling ability by most of the time you minus so hard but the other times when you're winning: It's not too satisfying.

-Yosenju (Counting from 1 to Tsujik gets old....insanely fast. Obvious backrow is obvious, and those fucking weasels never die unless TT or Mirror is topdecked. Unless it's a Pendulum build, the stun variant isn't fun to mess around with)

-Six Samurai (Hated them from the very beginning. Poorly designed cards: It's just spill your whole hand out with Sams and hope for nothing that can beat over 2.5k)

-Lightsworns (I wouldn't mind the engine but the pure build or rather back when Droolers were out.....*shudders*. It's just shitty luck when you get down to it. x3 JD is not fun)

Favorite Archtypes:

1) Qliphort : *ready to take the flame* i know that Qliphort is stupidly overkill at its prime...but to me is its an archetype that allow me to learn how good pendulum monster can be. and its has cool visual design and flavor too

2) Infernoid: aside of mechanical theme, i happen to like religious-occult theme too. as a combination of those themes (and the fact they jailbreaking from the Qliphort) im just quickly fall in love with it

3) Gimmick Puppet, Chronomaly, Timelord,Meklord, Earthbound Immortal (god themed cards in general...): for a same reason as Infernoids

4) Inca and T.G: i learn my first synchro from the Inca's and perfecting it with T.G (gonna love that continous yet conservative advantage search)

Less-favorite archetype that i hated so much i just want it burn:

1) Lightsworn and BA: look mommy look!  i spam this to further spam this and ABRA~KADABRA!

2) Satellarknight: meanwhile in DT world~

Vega: (on the phone) hey altair, wanna hang out?

Altair: sure why not?  oh oh are we gonna wreck some kind-hearted newbies and peaceful casual as usual?

Vega: yeah cutie pie Altair, don't forget to bring Deneb too...

(ugh that generic Infinity enabler is a pest)

My favorite Archetype is as you all probally know, Madolche. Sure it is pretty Generic and has a certain style of play but that feeling when you Draw into Anjelly or Hootcake and have a nice Graveyard, its fantastic. I have literally been right on the edge and pulled it right back. From what I remember it was 8000-200 in my opponent's favor. 

What's great about Madolche is that if you pull any of the recommended monsters they serve a purpose. The only real negative one is probally a Messengelato in your hand if you don't have a Mew. 

Favourites:

Aromas: This archetype brought back LP gaining and made it cool! And also they're all plants, which means ULTIMATE COMBO POWER!! And i love to death the aromatherapy theme and the artworks. Oh and also you can use the rage-inducing blossom.

Ghostricks: The troll is strong in this one. You can spam out stuff and make sure your opponent does NOTHING, and you have to use specific cards against them. And the artworks are the cutest!

Fabled: There's something about them that i love. They're synchro-spammers and have better artworks than DWs-

Performapals: CUTE! And are a pretty cool pendulum deck.

Least favourite:

Shaddolls: i don't know why, but everyone loves them. Konami already made both a freaky-doll and both and infected-monster archetype, which in my opinion were far better done than Shaddolls. And also they're still very much used, with new support releasing soon......

My favourite archetype would have to be my ol' buddies, the Lightsworns. They make for such an exciting, intense game filled with interaction and skilled plays. They also have one of the coolest bosses in the game. The entire idea of the archetype is just so original, unique and fun!

Archived