[Archetype] Formian

BtanH

This is my second archetype, hooray. It's pretty cool. It does some things.
Based on Ants/Formians. Swarms, has some control elements. Does a lot of tributing of workers.

[spoiler=Monsters]
Formian Larvae
Level 1 / DARK / Insect / Effect / 0 ATK / 0 DEF
You can Tribute this card; Special Summon 1 "Formian" monster from your deck, except for "Formian Larvae".

Formian Drone
Level 2 / DARK / Insect / Tuner / Effect / 1000 ATK / 0 DEF
When this card is Summoned: You can increase or reduce its Level by 1. If this card is in your Graveyard: You can banish 1 Level 3 or lower Insect-Type monster from your Graveyard, and if you do, Special Summon this card. You can only use this effect of "Formian Drone" once per Duel.

Formian Worker
Level 3 / EARTH / Insect / Effect / 1000 ATK / 1000 DEF
This card gains 500 attack for each other face-up "Formian" monster you control. If you control a face-up "Formian" monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If this card is destroyed by your opponent (by battle or by effect): Special Summon 1 "Formian Tunnel Token" (Level 2/EARTH/Rock/0 ATK/1000 DEF) in Defense Position.

Formian Digger
Level 3 / DARK / Insect / Effect / 1200 ATK / 800 DEF
When this card is sent to the Graveyard: Special Summon 2 "Formian Tunnel Token"s (Level 2/EARTH/Rock-Type/0 ATK/1000 DEF) in Defense Position. If this card is in your Graveyard: You can shuffle it into your deck and destroy 2 "Formian Tunnel Token"s you control; add 1 "Formian" monster from your Deck to your hand.

Formian Guard
Level 4 / EARTH / Insect / Effect / 800 ATK / 2000 DEF
If you control another face-up "Formian" monster, you can activate one of the following effects:
Tribute this card to target 1 face-up card your opponent controls; destroy it.
Tribute this card and 1 "Formian Worker" you control; banish 1 card your opponent controls

Formian Warrior
Level 4 / EARTH / Insect / Effect / 1900 ATK / 1400 DEF
When this card destroys an opponent’s monster by battle: You can add 1 "Formian" card from your Deck to your hand.

Formian Taskmaster
Level 6 / DARK / Insect / Effect / 2200 ATK / 1800 DEF
If you control a face-up "Formian" monster, you can Normal Summon this card without Tributing. Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Formian Worker" from your Graveyard. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect.

Formian Queen
Level 8 / DARK / Insect / Effect / 0 ATK / 3000 DEF
You can only control 1 "Formian Queen". Once per turn: You can discard 1 "Formian" card; Special Summon 1 "Formian Larvae" from your Deck or Graveyard.

[spoiler=Extra Deck]
Formian Mymarch
Level 7 / DARK / Insect / Synchro / Effect / 2600 ATK / 2200 DEF
1 "Formian" Tuner + 1 or more "Formian" non-Tuner monsters
Once per turn: You can discard 1 "Formian" card to target 1 monster your opponent controls; until the End Phase, take control of that target, but it cannot declare an attack or be Tributed. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect.
[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=S/Ts]
Formian Hive
Field Spell
All Formian monsters you control gain 300 ATK and DEF. If exactly 1 face-up "Formian" monster (and no other cards) is targeted by a card effect: You can change the target to a "Formian Tunnel Token" you control.

Formian Digger Crew
Continuous Spell
You can only control 1 "Formian Digger Crew". Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Formian Tunnel Token" (Level 2/EARTH/Rock-Type/0 ATK/1000 DEF) in Defense Position. Once per turn, you can Tribute 2 "Formian Tunnel Token"s: Draw 1 card. If this card is destroyed, destroy all Formian Tunnel Tokens you control.

Formian Supply Line
Continuous Spell
Tribute 1 "Formian Worker" you control; draw 1 card. You can only activate the effect of "Formian Supply Line" once per turn.

Formian Raid
Normal Spell
Special Summon any number of Level 4 or lower Insect-Type monsters from your hand, but shuffle them into the deck during the End Phase.

Formian Bivouac
Counter Trap
When your opponent activates a Spell/Trap Card, or monster effect, while you control a face-up "Formian Worker": You can Tribute 1 "Formian Worker"; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card.

[/spoiler]

I like the set. It seems very anim-ish the way a lot of the cards are centered around Formian Worker. I find it very true to the system of ant life.

Things I am concerned with.

Larvae: While I am sure that Larvae is some kind of insect parallel to Lonefire, I feel that Queen is a better target than any of the plants that Lonefire will bring out. Mainly it seems like one would drop larvae-> Queen-> discard worker-> Larvae-> Taskmaster-> Worker. While I think that is nothing but a +plus 1 I find it quite an imposing field to go against especially on the first turn and especially in a deck that seems it can pull off that play quite easily.

Digger: While the ability to summon tokens seems "slower" in the deck Digger is still a card that +1's by reloading itself. I find that maybe instead of reloading itself it could banish itself or something on that line.

Mymarch: A piece of me wonders if that is a play on Memnarch from Magic the Gathering. Nevertheless I am slightly afraid of a monster that is a perpetual Mind Control in insect form. What I would be find with is that the monster can be tributed, but it cannot be used as material for an Extra Deck summon.

Everything else looks fine to me. I curious on how a deck like this would work seeing as Worker is such a pivotal card.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. :)

Ok so, Larvae is basically Formian Lonefire, but it can only tribute itself and it can't summon other copies itself, limiting the potential plays significantly.
Larvae -> Queen-> discard worker-> Larvae-> Taskmaster-> Worker is probably your besting opening play. However, you need worker in hand and larvae to pull it off, which is not super likely as this deck doesn't have any draw cards or any kind of RotA.

I can see where your concern is with Digger, I don't think it should create any problems however, as reloading it really isn't that useful. You do not want to draw a copy of Digger.

Mymarch is not based on Memnarch, but rather on the Formian Mymarch from DnD.
It might be too strong. If I need to nerf it, I might change it to only affect face-up monsters. This deck doesn't really do an amazing job of making extra deck monsters, and Mymarch does cost a Formian discard, which isn't cheap.

This deck only really has one consistent way to plus, and that's off Taskmaster. Everything else is even.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. :)

Ok so, Larvae is basically Formian Lonefire, but it can only tribute itself and it can't summon other copies itself, limiting the potential plays significantly.
Larvae -> Queen-> discard worker-> Larvae-> Taskmaster-> Worker is probably your besting opening play. However, you need worker in hand and larvae to pull it off, which is not super likely as this deck doesn't have any draw cards or any kind of RotA. Digger, Warrior, Howling Insect, Gokipon, Verdant Sanctuary are all insect searchers.

I can see where your concern is with Digger, I don't think it should create any problems however, as reloading it really isn't that useful. You do not want to draw a copy of Digger.

Mymarch is not based on Memnarch, but rather on the Formian Mymarch from DnD.
It might be too strong. If I need to nerf it, I might change it to only affect face-up monsters. This deck doesn't really do an amazing job of making extra deck monsters, and Mymarch does cost a Formian discard, which isn't cheap.

This deck only really has one consistent way to plus, and that's off Taskmaster. Everything else is even.

Why would you not want to draw digger...Its a token generator that goes off when it is synced then you would get another search. Its a cycle.

Rota is a normal spell. I was mostly talking about turn 1 plays.
Important thing to note is that Queen has 0 attack, so she isn't really as big of a threat as she looks like.
Warrior is conditional, Sanctuary is conditional as is Digger, at least as a search card (set digger doesn't always work).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived