Lore Online [OoC/Accepting]

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see all the application fervor going back up!

As for notes on the Osprey slots, I'll be accepting one male and one female, one of them being Strength and the other being Speed. (Preferably the guy being Strength and the girl being Speed, but who knows.)

'That last bit is sounding a bit sexist, watch your step, compadre

'That last bit is sounding a bit sexist, watch your step, compadre

*didn't care until I remembered I had a male speed character*

Y-yeahhh.... Sexist.... Offense....

In all actuality though, it's not all that offensive. It's kind of a known fact that men tend to be physically stronger then women most of the time, and when it comes to fighters that's still true, but women fighters more often then not outclass men in terms of speed. That and yeah balancing issues and stuff, so I can sorta see where he's coming from. 

If he'd said "Female Skill class, specifically cleric" then that would have been pretty sexist though.

If he'd said "Female Skill class, specifically cleric" then that would have been pretty sexist though.

As I said previously, this is mainly because I want to keep the balance of character and class types in Osprey, something about which I want to be upfront. Not because I'm sexist.

Think of it this way: Yohta's not going to accept another character into the guild if there's already one who fits his needs. The gender balance is mainly to get different character archetypes into the guild, for similar reasons. Our female characters are all front-line fighters so far while our guys are mainly back-row and supporters, so I wanted to switch that up for the last two members. Hope that makes sense. *・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

EDIT: Also, I'll post sometime later tomorrow. Got really busy today at work and returned home at 10:30. =__=

What if they're a male Speed character but still play offensively or a female Strength character that plays support? Both of those are possible, especially since Paladin was added in.

It's not set in stone, more of a personal preference as GM than anything. I'd just find it a bit odd that all our Strength characters would be gals and all our Speed ones be guys, but hey, cookies crumble.

It's not set in stone, more of a personal preference as GM than anything. I'd just find it a bit odd that all our Strength characters would be gals and all our Speed ones be guys, but hey, cookies crumble.

Okay. That seems fair. ... I'm not being a sarcastic twat either that actually seems pretty fair o.o"

Big edits made! See the profile I posted on the first page here: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/331609-lore-online-oocnot-accepting/?p=6590376instead of the one I posted last page. I did a lot of work on her personality, and even renamed it to "Personality and Bio" since just personality didn't seem like enough to convey this character and definitely didn't seem like an accurate descriptor for what I have written. I've also edited her fighting style. Also my friend is showing some interest, so he'll probably be throwing down a profile too.

I'm more interested for the Atelier guild but I went and did small edits on my profile for this one just in case.

On an unrelated note, if I work on writing some lore for Lore, can I, say, expand on system mechanics as a lore submission? Such as details on how the class system or production skills work?

I'm more interested for the Atelier guild but I went and did small edits on my profile for this one just in case.

On an unrelated note, if I work on writing some lore for Lore, can I, say, expand on system mechanics as a lore submission? Such as details on how the class system or production skills work?

Sure, but everything has to be cleared by myself before going into the doc as canon.

Also my friend is showing some interest, so he'll probably be throwing down a profile too.

Worked on it for a few hours, I can somewhat say it's complete? As for whether or not I'll get in, that's a different story entirely, heh. I guess the hardest part was figuring out names, considering I'm not that invested into Japanese names... Everything else, though, felt like it came into place well enough!

[spoiler=Aeritz]

WGkGfIk.png
Smile, and the world smiles with you. Cry... and you cry alone.

Personality Information
Name: Aeritz
Epithet: The Landsknecht
Age of Appearance: In the late teens, 18~
Sex: Male
Appearance: Aeritz stands at 5'10" (177cm) with a slight tan, red eyes, and white hair that's lengthy enough to cover his ears and parts to his right. That's all his visible bodily features, as his clothing - outside of his armor - doesn't show any other skin. He wears what looks like a knight's uniform for a fantasy game: a brown tunic with a white stripe in the center running all the way down to the hem, and said tunic running all the way up his neck. The shoulder area for his tunic is green, which wraps around his shoulderblades on his back and continues down to his rolled-up sleeves. Underneath his tunic is a black long-sleeved shirt, along with matching black slacks with a white belt strapped around his waist. He does have a sword and sheath attached to it... mostly for aesthetic appeal. Brown gloves and boots of the same shade as his tunic complete his normal look.

His armor is reminiscent of ribs and bones, easily covering the entirety of his upper body. Aeritz claims that it was made from a whale's bone. He tends not to wear this armor unless in battle - something about how tacky and intimidating it looks. His large tower shield - with his hammer attached to the back of it - is usually strapped around his torso and hangs off his back, regardless of being in or out of his armor. Really, though, it serves to make the more obvious sword on his belt more incredulous, thanks to the lack of actual use (Incidentally, he removes the sword when he equips his armor. "Sworda pointless to keep on," he'll say.).

Personality: A smiler, this one. Always easy to read, mature, even cracks a joke or two sometimes and tries to make everyone get along... After you get along with him, at least, since he's pretty shy at first. But Aeritz always ends up putting his friends before himself, mainly if it isn't an inconvenience to him - and, considering he's in a video game world, there's probably not much that he's going to be doing that doesn't involve others. And that's really the thing: Aeritz prefers spending time with his friends and helping them out, being there for them when they need him for something. Well, most of the time, at least. He's loyal, always willing to lend an ear for his friends and help them back up whenever they fall down.

That's not saying he's the heart of the group, not by a long shot. He'll be complaining. Almost all the time. Mistreat him and he'll hold a grudge and never let it go.

...But the funny thing? He's very reserved about saying it like it is. He prefers avoiding a confrontation and would rather change a person's behavior - if he thinks it needs changing, anyways - through example instead of sitting them down. Sure, he'll talk about people behind their backs, grumble, and call people out on (the smaller) things, but his loyalty lies with his friends. All the time. He's pretty polite like that. Even a bit formal to his friends, at times, but never overly so. If he has an actual problem - not some small thing that he'll complain about - then he'll keep to himself about it.

Why inconvenience your friends with something you're dealing with, when they're dealing with so much more, right? And if you don't have something good to say, don't say it at all... He'll just keep in any reservations against others. Even if it'll damage his self-confidence in the long run, he'll try to endure and, hopefully, change their behavior gradually, over time. And, well, hey, worst comes to worst, he could just ignore the problem... and will. But what's there to run away from in this wonderful world, away from all the problems and stress of reality...? It's not like he's ever done it before... Ever...

For battle, he'll stick to his role as the frontliner and rely on everyone else to play the Hero... ironically enough, though, he makes it pretty clear that he prefers the Knight class. Chose to be a Paladin because it worked better for him, Aeritz'll say. Anyways, he'll be at the front all the time, letting others tell him what to do rather than try anything at all. If he's by himself, he'll probably just end up doing his best not to get in the way of anyone else, try to draw the attention of the enemies as much as he can.

Combat Information
Category: Strength
Class: Paladin
Level: 39
Inventory:

• Splendid Leviathan <Heavy Armor>: Extremely inflexible armor that covers the upper body. Reduces Agility, but will halve all physical damage and boosts the wearer's HP.
  • Amaryllis <Hammer>: A decent-sized hammer that fits in one hand, forged with the blessings of nature. Attribute: Wood.
  • Regent's Guard <Tower Shield>: Rectangular shield almost as tall as Aeritz is, and twice as wide. Increases resistance to status ailments for any allies.

Sample Skills:
- Mystic Chaser: Follows up any allied magical attack with the user's own physical strike. Increases the user's aggro every time an ability is "chased." Useless by itself.
- Concussive Blow: A hammer strike that decreases the enemy's defense until the next allied attack.
- Guardian's Vengeance: The user draws in enemy attacks while readying their hammer. After a small delay, the user smashes their hammer into the ground, dealing a small-sized AOE to any enemies in front of them. Deals more damage the more attacks hit the user.

Real-World Identity
Name: Makoto Itou
Home City: Tokyo
Trivia:

• He's an otaku in the lightest sense. Pretty much just knows the terminology and follows the biggest anime that his nerdier friends egg him to watch. Games, though, that's what he prefers more often than not.
  • The youngest in his family, with two sisters four and six years older than he is. They have already finished college and tend to care more for their problems than his.
  • Studies English, wants to be a teacher after he finishes college.
  • He took his in-game name from one of his friend's fictional characters, involving a man who fought against a white whale.

Your Skype Name: blackpersonax[/spoiler]

Edit: This guy's applying for Osprey first, and Joshua Tree second if he doesn't make it in!

Understandable enough. This IS just a submission after all.

[spoiler=On Potions and Pharmacy]

Summary

In Lore, there exists two types of potions. Regular potions are ones whose effects are numerical in nature. A simple Weak Health Potion will recover a 100 points of HP, for example. These potions are more valued by the lower-leveled due to recovering a static amount of HP, but late-game players find no reason not to carry a stock of Optimized Health Potions(HP1000) around. After all, if you run out of HP, you die. There are no side-effects for repeatedly consuming Regular potions, although they are not as reliable during the later stages of the game. Potions in this category include stat recovery potions, as well as most buff potions(The numerical stat for these are buff duration, as in, time)(Unlike an alchemist's, a pharmacist's buff potions are single-target, and most battle-related buffs are not possible to recreate with only a pharmacist's skill set). Brewing these are simply a matter of finding the right ingredients and a decent vial to keep the contents in, and the weaker recovery ones are available at healer shops. Those aside, however, most potions cannot be store-bought from NPCs, and must be hand-made or bought from other players.

[spoiler=Commonly used Regular potions]

Optimized Health Potion(HP1000)(Commonly abbreviated to OHP)

Optimized Mana Potion(MP1000)(OMP)

Optimized Stamina Potion (SP1000)(OSP)

Glow Honey(Causes user's body to illuminate for a period of time. Useful for traversing dark dungeons. Can also be thrown as a flash grenade with less effectiveness)

Featherweight Drink(Weight reduction)

Spirit of Valor(Dispels stat de-buffs)

Spirit of Bravery(Dispels most status effects)

[/spoiler]

Magical potions refer to potions whose effects works in percentage, rather than solid numbers. Magical HP Potion S recovers 25% of your HP, for example. Late-game these potions are indispensable, especially the ones that recover 100%. Overconsumption in a short period of time can lead to severe side-effects, including stat reduction, or being unable to use skills. Those can be made and sold for a good amount. Only recovery potions fall into this category. Brewing these are much harder, and the quality of the resultant depends on your skill rank, the quality of the ingredients used, and the quality of the vial used to store the potion. It also costs a bit of mana to make each one, and a few days in-game until the potion becomes functional(the in-game excuse is that it takes time to brew magic).

[spoiler=Commonly used Magical potions]

Fantastic Health Potion(50% HP)

Fantastic Mana Potion(50% MP)

Fantastic Stamina Potion(50% SP)

Pure Health Potion(100% HP)

Pure Mana Potion(100% MP)

Pure Stamina Potion(100% SP)[/spoiler]

Most potions that exist in this game can be brewed by pharmacists as long as their skill rank is at a sufficient level.

Potion Glassmaking

A subskill of a life skill. While glass vials are provided at most general shops at an already-cheap price, it is possible to refine your own. A crafted glass vial will not only boost potion brewing success rate, but in the case of Magical potions, will also provide extra effects, such as reduced weight or time to brew, or extra effectiveness(It is possible to break the 100% barrier, in which the extra percentage increases your total HP temporarily). The chances of getting these extra effects or success rate boosts increase as you rank the skill. At higher ranks you can make wine bottles and other luxuries.

Mystery Potion

The true draw of potion making. After sufficiently ranking the skill, you gain the ability to mix any three in-game items(including equipment) into a Mystery Potion. Effects vary depending on all of the items used. Every single non-key item in Lore can be used, and each has a unique effect(Although many items provide better/worse versions of the same effect). The effects are not randomized, but because there is no known catalog for which ingredients do what, a lot of experimenting is required. Mystery Potions can only be consumed, and is one of the ways to 'break' the game, as it is possible to, for example, get ridiculous damage multipliers or total invincibility, or rumors say, revive(the ingredients required for these 'overpowered' potions are either extremely rare, expensive, or useful in many other fields as well, if not all three). Mystery Potions do not stack, even if the effects are the same, meaning they can take up a decent amount of space in the inventory.

Alchemist : Reverse-Potion

A special skill usable by Alchemists with pharmacy as their life skill. Throw a recovery potion at an enemy and it loses the amount that the potion would otherwise heal(throw a HP100 potion at an enemy would deal 100 damage). Does not work with magical potions and the skill is single-target rather than AoE, but because it has a virtually non-existent cooldown period, it serves as a useful 1-on-1 skill.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Monk]

Monk%20Face_zpsj4umzr8b.jpg

"We must strive to better ourselves if we wish to overcome this game."

Personality Information:
Name: Ko (コウ, Kou)
Epithet: The Steel Hurricane, The Mountain, The Eleventh General
Age of Appearance: Mid-late 30s
[spoiler=Appearance]Standing at 210cm, Ko is one of the physically largest player characters by virtue of having used the largest model during character creation.  Along with his towering height comes the physical manifestation of a high strength stat, his towering form covered heavily in muscles.  Over those muscles lays darkly tanned skin, which is void of body hair and heavily tattooed.  The tattoos themselves are mostly tribal patterns done in plain black, though they glimmer when he is struck by an attack.  His face is firm in shape, as if it were chiseled from stone and set upon his form.  Covering him from the upper lip down is an impressive beard and mustache combination which hangs several centimeters down from his jawline.  His head is completely bald and smooth, such that it shines if the light hits it in the right way.  Upon his forehead is a holy symbol of Shirazad, as is common among Player and NPC monks in game.

As far as clothing is concerned, Ko is something of the typical monk.  He wears a number of well-fitting, breathable robes to cover his body with differing color schemes.  Each robe corresponds to a different type of environment one could be found in.  For example, he has a heavier and more insulated robe which he wears in the colder regions of the game world while he has a tighter fitting one to be worn when the risk of falling into the sea exists.  Most commonly, he wears a somewhat-loose fitting robe of orange and gold with a hood that can be pulled up to cover his head if the need arises.  Accompanying this robe is a string of grapefruit-sized prayer beads which hangs around his neck.  Each bead is inscribed with a person's name.  In place of a gauntlet, his right forearm is wrapped in a narrow length of chain, each link bearing blades which interlock and give the appearance that he is wearing mail armor.  This chain ends in a large delta-shaped blade which rests against his elbow.  The shoes upon his feet vary with his robes, ranging from comfortable sandals for beach going or heavy fur boots for the snow.  Most often, they are a pair of simple leather-soled shoes that allow his feet to breath.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Personality]In spite of his intimidating appearance, Ko is actually quite a nice person.  He is polite to all that he meets, even if they are not polite to him.  He bows to shopkeepers, whether they be player or npc, and removes his shoes before entering buildings.  In terms of greetings, he prefers "good morning," "good afternoon," or "good evening" depending on the time of day.  Interestingly enough, he prefers to speak at a lower volume and very rarely raises his voice.  Those that know him know that if he is speaking up, he likely has something very important to say.  Going along with his polite disposition is a preference to find nonviolent solutions to problems if the option exists; he has a particular dislike for the dueling mechanic.

As for being trapped in a game, he came to terms with it a short time after learning that he would be trapped indefinitely inside of the virtual world.  However, he does not want to become lost in the game world.  He does not want to forget that the real world exists, and begin to live as if he had always been a part of Lore.  To that end, he carved the names of his family members on his prayer beads and reads them every day while he meditates and remembers the life he had in the real world.  Further inspired by this is his insistence on not buying an in-game house, preferring to sleep wherever he can find enough room to stretch himself out so long as it is not on a bed.  He also refuses to eat or drink anything more than the simplest of things available in game.  When he has more gliders than he can readily spend, he gives them to lower-leveled players to help them purchase better gear.  It should be noted that while he engages in these practices himself, he holds no hard feelings for players that like to experience the finer things in game.  In spite of this normally austere life style, he has been known to occasionally be persuaded into the odd celebration.  Those that know him can scarcely believe the sorts of things he does when celebrating, particularly the excessive consumption of alcohol.  When drunk he is far less restrained in the way he behaves, and has on one or two occasions caused significant damage to the surrounding area as he forgets his own strength.

In terms of combat, how he acts is dependent entirely upon the sort of foe he is fighting.  If another player has attacked him, he will endeavor to avoid doing more harm to them than necessary.  Because of this, he uses very little of his strength and only uses techniques that require the use of his Ki defensively.  He prefers to disarm his opponent, and then subdue them by grappling; if that proves impossible he will instead do only enough damage to bring their health down to dangerous levels.  He will only bring a player's health down to dangerous levels if they are in an area where that player can quickly get to safety and thus avoid death.  If they are in a dangerous place, he will instead flee from the combat.  On the other hand, if he is in combat with an NPC then he shows both no mercy and a great deal of mercy at the same time.  He prefers to end the fight as quickly as possible, as if to minimize the NPC's suffering.
[/spoiler]
 Combat Information:
Category: Strength
Class: Monk
Level: 64
[spoiler=Inventory]Monk Robes <Light Armor>:  These roomy robes allow for easy movement during combat, making them ideal for martial artists to do battle in.  Provides a bonus to Ki.
Prayer Beads <Heavy Necklace>:  A set of large beads on a string, worn about the neck and used during prayer.  Provides a bonus to Harmony.
Dagger Tail <Light Flail>:   A great length of light chain composed of interlinked blades, these weapons are typically associated with punishment.  The blades fit nicely together, and warriors typically wear them wrapped around their forearms when not in use.  Though light, the danger of these weapons lies not in the damage one can do with them so much as in their flexibility.  Dagger tails allow a character equipped with them to strike at foes up to 4m away, and can be used for a number of things such as disarming or entangling a foe.
Enchanted Tattoos <Magic Accessory>:  Intricate patterns laid upon a character's flesh with unique materials into which defensive enchants can be placed.  These allow characters who do not normally wear much armor to give themselves an extra layer of protection.  Ko's tattoos specifically are enchanted to grant him extra armor as well as resistance against spells.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Sample Skills]Hurricane Kick:  The monk throws a kick that sends him spinning about, striking all targets within reach.  Targets hit suffer moderate damage, and are knocked back a short distance.  Targets that strike a solid object, such as a wall or tree, are stunned for a few moments.
Ki Strikes:  The monk  takes a few moments to gather himself, and his body begins to glow subtly with energy.  While this mode is active, each of the monk's strikes consumes Ki in exchange for doing extra damage.  Targets normally immune to physical damage, such as spirits, do not take the extra damage, but now take damage from the Monk's attacks.
Earthquake Strike:  Taking a moment to gather himself, the monk throws himself into a monstrously powerful strike against a single enemy.  This consumes a great deal of Ki, but does a tremendous amount of damage to the initial target.  Furthermore, the force of the strike causes a shock wave to pass through the ground and deal damage to those in an area around the initial target.  Targets struck by the shock wave may be knocked down.[/spoiler]
Real World Identity
Name: Torao Hasegawa (長谷川 虎雄 Hasegawa Torao)
Home City: Kyoto
[spoiler=Trivia]

• Lost his wife four years ago in a car accident.
  • Retired from the police two years ago, when a hostage situation he was handling went wrong.  All the hostages were killed, and their captor committed suicide
  • Part of the group of founders of Joshua Tree, and one time member of the Ten Generals.  He left his official leadership role as the guild grew too big so as to avoid politics, and rarely appears alongside the rest of the organization.  His word still holds great weight, and the respect most members of the guild hold for him has led to his being considered an "Eleventh General."
  • Despite being considered the "Eleventh General" Ko does not hold any actual executive power in the guild.  Any power he holds is in the form of respect given him by the other members.
  • Fought at the Battle of Mizar while still a General of Joshua Tree, leading a small group that protected players as they evacuated.  He later contributed to erecting a memorial to the city's loss outside of Merak.
  • Despite his membership of Joshua Tree, he can most typically be found alone either walking the Pilgrim's Path or somewhere in the city of Merak.

[/spoiler][/spoiler]

And here is Ko's updated app, as was discussed earlier.

Three points:

1) If you're in the roleplay already, please post! I don't think it's fair for everyone else to be waiting on yous-all's slow asses to get accepted: we have one and a half posting rounds left before I can conclude the quest and start approving applications. So get moving! Or I'll have to invoke the "kick clause" and boot inactive characters.
2) If you're not in the roleplay and would like formal character feedback, please send me a PM and I'll respond with some points. I highly suggest doing this if you want a better chance of being accepted for a good role. (y)
3) Make sure you indicate which guild you'll be applying for.

Archived