Lore Online [OoC/Accepting]

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm here, sort of, give me a second...

[spoiler=Madria]

(Headshot image for reference, try to find one that’s 250x250 pixels.)
“Character quote.”

Personality Information
Name: Madria 
Epithet: Fianna’s Disciple 
Age of Appearance: ((Doesn’t have to be exact: an approximate range is preferred.))
Sex: ((Male or female. Doesn’t need to match your character’s IRL gender.))
Appearance: ((2 paragraph minimum. Feel free to link to images as reference, but don’t insert them into the body of the application.))
Personality: ((2 paragraph minimum.))

Combat Information
Category: ((Strength, Dexterity or Skill.))
Class: ((Either look at the list for reference or make up your own: but if you’re making your own, run the class by me first before submitting your application. There are a limited number of make-your-own slots, and they should ideally fill a role no other class can.))
Level: ((Osprey veteran members are around their 40s, while newbies are usually around 10-20s.))
Inventory:
  • ((Armor Name)) <((Light/Medium/Heavy Armor))>: ((A brief description of your character’s armor as if it were an in-game item, 3-4 sentences max. Include any special attributes.))
  • ((Weapon Name)) <((Weapon Type))>: ((A brief description of your character’s weapon as if it were an in-game item, 3-4 sentences max. Include any special attributes.))
  • ((Accessory Name)): ((A brief description of another item on your character as if it were an in-game item, 3-4 sentences max. Include any special attributes.))
Sample Skills: ((2-3 at most. Just give names.))

Real-World Identity
Name: ((Remember, Lore Online is currently only available in Japan, so your character IRL should be Japanese and have a Japanese name. Try to find a real name, too: no random strings of syllables.))
Home City: ((Pick a place in Japan.))
Trivia:
  •  
  • ((Any important tidbits about their life.))
  • ((Use bullet points, like this.)
  • ((3-4 max.))

Your Skype Name: ((So I can get you into the group convo. And stalk you ;D))

[/spoiler]

Oh well, let's give it a try. Auditioning for female, any class. On that note though I would be fine with being male as well. Elk, the guy I chose to base my appearance off, is a guy avatar, if I remember.

[spoiler=App]

ds0i6dO.jpg?1
Why did I start playing Lore, I wonder...”

Personality Information
Name: クレア/Claire
Epithet: Miss Blue
Age of Appearance: 15-17
Sex: Female
Appearance:

Neck-length bright blue hair. Red-ish eyes. Not a particularly tall stature(Around Rudy's height, Rudy from Log Horizon). Wears a blue hat and a scarf. Has a blue robe that doesn't cover the front of her legs, making movement easier. Her expression is often aloof or distant, as if unengaged from the current situation. Her hat is a source of attention, rumored to be a limited-time cash item that wasn't very popular.
Personality:
Being a normal, teenaged girl who played MMOs for fun, finding herself secluded in one has made Claire both excited, and weirded out. Being the type of girl that sat down and played MMOs in front of her screen instead of hanging out with her more popular friends meant she did fantasize about living in an MMO on more than one occasion, thus she only slightly panicked at first upon hearing the news before adapting just like everyone else. Claire is obsessed with the Internet, but losing that in return for living in it was a fair exchange, she thought.

But, seeing how real the game felt, Claire started building up some doubts. How did she know that a world outside of this MMO existed? What if they were always there, inside this MMO? Or maybe, she isn't even real, and all that's going on right now is just a bunch of data interacting. Maybe she's just an NPC in this video game, with her consciousness copied from her actual body. What separates reality and fiction? With such doubts in mind, Claire continues to live and play the game.
Combat Information
Category: Skill
Class: Tamer
Level: 37

[spoiler=Fighting style]A Tamer's fighting style depends greatly on what pets she relies on, as well as the type of music she prefers to play. Claire's personal favorite summon is a Pixie, a beginner's pet with decent magical potential. It's small size and flight speed makes it very versatile and flexible in what it can do, such as flashing bright enough to blind enemies by hovering right in front of them. Her other preferred summon is Cerberus, a three-headed dog(Five-headed when she fought it as a boss) that she can ride on and fight with. With Pixie, her long-ranged, skill, and utility needs are fulfilled. With Cerberus, her close-ranged, melee, and transportation needs are taken cared of.[/spoiler]
Inventory:

• Robe of the Twilight <Light>:A dark, blue magician's robe that has inscriptions in an unreadable language. Reduces skill damage received.
  • Lute <Instrument>: A true musician doesn't need a fancy, overdecorated instrument to play good music.
  • Unknown Fantastic Hat: Crafted by a master craftsman from the east, this hat is unrivaled in appearance and style. It has three rubies implanted but they don't seem to do anything...(Increases MP regeneration).

Sample Skills:

- Summon: Cerberus

- Summon: Pixie

- Evolve

Real-World Identity
Name: Takao Aisu(高雄 あいす) (As Claire is what I intend to be yet another Rei clone, I've given her a name similar to Rei's and Nagato Yuki from Haruhi. The Ayanami, Nagato, and Takao are all Japanese battleship classes. Rei means Ice or something, I don't remember. Yuki means snow. Aisu is literally just ice.
Home City: Tokyo, Japan
Trivia:

• Has a normal family with one younger brother. Held incestuous feelings for said brother but those feelings faded away with time.
  • She once played World of Witchcraft's Japan server back when she was 13.
  • Favorite film is Laputa, the Castle in the Sky, which kept airing again and again to the point where she liked it.

[spoiler=Theme song]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVrwm89Wbl0&feature=youtu.be[/spoiler]

Your Skype Name: lord_danna

[/spoiler]

JUDGMENT HAS BEEN PASSED.

The members of Osprey are as follows:

1) Yohta (Phosphorus)
2) Akane (Aix)
3) Matthias (Sethera)
4) Finn (Hydreigon)
5) Tadashi (Renegade)
6) Haruka (Neph)
7) Inali (Toyo)

If you want an explanation as to why I didn't accept you in the initial seven, feel free to PM me. I plan on reopening applications to Osprey in the near future, as well as making a few more guilds for you guys to pilot.

And on that note, IC's up. Link to come.

EDIT: IC link.

So we did this thing in Blueblood, another one of my RPs, where we wrote down the characters' prior interactions/relations with each other. I think I'll do this here just as something to help. I'm going to purposefully be rather presumptuous, so please read over and correct anything that might be out of character or if you want things to be different.
[hr]
[spoiler=Akane's Interactions] http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/331609-lore-online-oocnot-accepting/?p=6590502
For the most part, Akane is a very respectable individual due to her sincerity, assertive nature and leadership. She may be a bit reckless at times, but her prodigal skill with the sword manages to overcome many challenges. She does her best to learn about her guildmates and their interests so that she can cater to them (when she learned of her little brother's interest in manga, she went ahead to read it so she could talk to him about it despite that the manga didn't actually interest her in the slightest).
[hr]
[spoiler=Yohta]Their interests happened to coincide when they met, out in the field almost five months ago during a standard grinding session. Akane, for one, was tired of being recruited by masochistic perverts to join their guild, so she decided she was going to create her own. She could tolerate Yohta, who did not regard her with too lecherous of eyes as his thoughts were primarily directed towards profit.

From then on a very stable partnership was formed. Both individuals were quite professional in their conduct. Akane learned much from Yohta's precise and calculative strategies, and he thus managed to earn her respect. She does find Yohta's greed morally questionable, but she has learned to live with it.[/spoiler]
[hr]
[spoiler=Matthias]Akane was rather skeptical about this chibi at first, but he reminded her a bit of her brother due to his diminutive size and youth, and Yohta persuaded her that a cleric was quite necessary to their party. The benefits of a proficient healer soon became evident and Akane warmed up to him. Sometimes, she cannot resist the urge to pat his head and give him a light smile, but suddenly pull back as she realizes he isn't her brother.[/spoiler]
[hr]
[spoiler=Finntas]While she does not show it, Akane does appreciate Finntas's lighthearted nature. She regards him as a sufficiently decent individual, but has not gotten much closer to him since he first joined.[/spoiler]
[hr]
[spoiler=Tadashi]She was wary at first of the red status, and still is even now. However, she respects his skill with the bow and his compulsion to help and protect others. Their personal relationship mostly consists of Akane thanking Tadashi after battles for any well-placed arrows that made her job easier.[/spoiler]
[hr]
[spoiler=Haruka]Akane's best friend since high school and the one which Akane truly trusts. The two of them are very close and Akane will sometimes even bring her own worries to Haruka. Their bond only tightened after countless life-and-death battles at each others' side, and their highfives after each fight. Akane greatly appreciates Haruka's child-like cheer.[/spoiler]
[hr]
[spoiler=Inali]In many ways, Inali reminds Akane of Haruka, thus she naturally feels more open towards the girl. She is appreciative of Inali's effects on the group, which, combined with Haruka's, always manages to keep the guild in good vigor.[/spoiler][/spoiler]
[hr]

Oooh, I should do that at some point.

Also, quick summary of points Aix brought up to me so that they don't get buried:

- Characters have a "guild alert" function in their HUD. It allows a member of the guild to send a distress signal to other members.
- The Osprey guild house is located above a tavern a short-ish distance from the main square and market. It's a bit cramped right now, so Yohta's looking at real estate elsewheres.

Hey guys, this is Zachandstuff/Stuff's old account that i hope i can use from this point forward.  If it's too confusing, i can switch back, but i like my shiny 6 stars you know ;o!

As long as you switch back to your adorable Catbug avatar, I won't mind. (:

Also:

BIG NEWS REGARDING THE LAST TWO SLOTS FOR OSPREY.

Sometime in the next week or two I'll be holding a lore-writing contest. Submit the best piece of informative writing you can to flesh out the world of Lore. (Lore for Lore, gettit?) The two best entries will have their pick of slots, including the two remaining positions for Osprey, or various high-ranking and high-leveled slots in other guilds in the game. Heck, you may even get the privilege to start your own!

M'kay question then. Actually...well, I assume you'll be giving more information when you start it? As in, the kinds of things you want, the length, the style, etc etc?

It's more just an entry for the encyclopedia. A monster, a field, a certain aspect of the game which hasn't been covered yet... your choice.

I'm guessing we PM them to you? Or would we put it in Creative Writing? (From the looks of things creative writing could use the posts.)

Post 'em here.

I did up a quick map in pixel-art just to see if the design/layout was good. If this map already looks good enough then go ahead and use it, or if there are changes you would like to make and/or you would like it in not-pixel-art I can go ahead and do that too.

[spoiler=map]

7lwQiYg.png?1

[/spoiler]

Also, Phosphorus, I sent another PM. Not sure if you've seen that one either, but just a heads-up in case you haven't.

Okay so, Rinne and I had a little discussion about the PK system and how players are marked.  I proposed to add a little exception to the otherwise-absolute "if you kill someone you're marked" rule, and the discussion went as below.  He requested that I post it up here so that the rest of you can take a look and voice your opinions.

[spoiler=Skype copy-pasting go][11:29:38 AM] UnendingEmpire: so the major problem that was pointed out was
[11:29:57 AM] UnendingEmpire: there's not much one can actually do if a PK suddenly attacks a non-PK
[11:30:06 AM] Rinne: knock 'em out?
[11:30:22 AM] UnendingEmpire: they can't kill their assailant cuz they'll be marked, and there will probably be times where killing them is the only option
[11:30:35 AM] Rinne: then that's an instance of sucks to be you, i guess. //shrug
[11:30:40 AM] UnendingEmpire: but if we can only knock them out, then PKs are at a gross advantage
[11:30:51 AM] UnendingEmpire: since if a PK wins a fight, the loser won't be coming back
[11:31:01 AM] UnendingEmpire: but if the PK loses, they still have as many more chances as it takes
[11:31:07 AM] Rinne: what're you suggestinbg, then?
[11:31:19 AM] UnendingEmpire: a sort of "self-defense detection" deal
[11:31:26 AM] UnendingEmpire: the idea basically boiled down to
[11:32:12 AM] UnendingEmpire: if the PK started the fight (was the first one to use a skill on the non-PK), a non-PK shouldn't be marked for killing in that fight, since in the heat of the moment it could very much seem a kill-or-be-killed deal
[11:32:55 AM] UnendingEmpire: it also means there's an actual risk for PKs
[11:37:03 AM] Rinne: hmmm, i could see that happening.
[11:37:12 AM] Rinne: post it in the ooc thread and we'll see what otehrs thing?
[11:37:14 AM] Rinne: *others think[/spoiler]

Please give us your opinions on whether this should be a thing or not :)

Not sure how I feel about that. It makes sense for the situation that the story takes place in, but I can't see the developers of the game putting it in. Not that they would think "Well we don't need this" I more feel like they wouldn't think to add it in. Plus it can be avoided or abused too. For example, a Pker could jump in while a player is aiming for a monster and block the hit, then they'd be able to kill that player with no consequences. Hell, they might even get the monster battling the other player on their side. On the other hand too, before Lockdown Day I don't think people would have had any qualms about killing a Pker anyways, so it makes little sense that it'd be added in anyways when the game wasn't originally intended to be a life or death survival situation. I mean if you were playing... I dunno, Dark Souls for example, and someone came in to try and kill you and take your souls, you wouldn't think twice about killing them right? Because it's only a game and there's no real consequence to killing another player in games (aside from a karma thing sometimes).

Also, it seems more dramatic from a storytelling perspective for people to have to plead that the reason they're red is because they had to defend against a Pker. Plus for people in the Undertakers side, you can also have them lie about being a Pker and claim that they turned red out of self defense. Overall it's a good idea, but I'm not sure if it fits in as a mechanic at launch, and I kinda agree with Rinne's "sucks to be them" idea on it. I assume that they're still updating the game however, so it could have been added as an update. Those're just my thoughts on it though.

It's likely it's not a glitch, so it's more likely it was intentional for whatever reason (twisted social experiment perhaps?).
I agree it would be more risk for PKers, but I feel like the "sucks to be you" makes it more dramatic and harder to decide since you'd have to go through the understanding that probably no one will accept you anymore or even bother asking for the story. Sort of like a "will you take the fall to protect others from having to take it?" thing.

And a monster would be just as likely to kill the PKer or at least try to.

And PKers have the advantage and they should, since they essentially threw away their morality, which can be a very big restriction on possible options.
Without it, it gives them an advantage since they don't need to be stronger than monsters, just stronger than players.

Also, it would let them just for the killing blow without any hesitation while the other person, still bound by morals, would have to deal with an inner fight of what to do. If the player killer is killed, others wouldn't be killed, but in turn, you would take an unfair fall that you'd have to learn to live with. (This is in a situation where incapacitation is impossible) If you run, then you might survive for now, but they might come kill you later, as well as kill others. Would you be able to live with that guilt? It's that kind of a thing.

There's no punishment besides the red marker in game, since it's not like the real world's government. Sure, the top guilds can maintain a government of sorts, but obviously it's not quite the same. Morality issues are all good and fine, but in the end, that's only an internal issue. The red marker is the public punishment that you get for killing.

Even if it's killing a player killer, you still became a player killer by doing so.
It's up to you whether you decide to fight fire with fire or not.

Morality is supposed to be a limit in things like this, and the bad guys don't have it usually, so they can do more/be stronger/etc, while the heroes have to figure out a way to solve the problem without killing (unless they're willing to take on the red mark and live with the stigma).

It's likely it's not a glitch, so it's more likely it was intentional for whatever reason (twisted social experiment perhaps?).

Well yeah, that was kinda obvious. If it were a glitch they'd just force log out everyone who was online at the time, shut down the servers, and then probably go out of business for releasing a game with that big a safety hazard instead of making the game into Survivor x War Craft.

And a monster would be just as likely to kill the PKer or at least try to.

Not necessarily. Assuming that Lore uses the same standard mob aggro system as most MMO's, in other words the one that makes the most sense, the enemies aggro wouldn't shift to another target just because it showed up. Mobs usually attack the one that attacked them over other targets unless they have a special AI (for example Ogre's in Dragons Dogma target females over males.) So the Pker would really just have to hide until their victim hits an enemy, then jump out, tank 1 hit and kill them and boom. Free kill with no red. After that they don't really even need to bother with the monster. They could just walk away before the monster aggro's them.

Another solution would be maybe an item that locks the character/sends them to a jail of some kind? That way they do have  a way to stop them without killing but most people won't really want to lose the inv space over an item they may never use. It could also incentivise Pkkers with a means of stopping Pkers without murdering them. I think they had something like that in SAO too, so if that could make it work then Lore certainly can.

Well yeah, that was kinda obvious. If it were a glitch they'd just force log out everyone who was online at the time, shut down the servers, and then probably go out of business for releasing a game with that big a safety hazard instead of making the game into Survivor x War Craft.
 Except log outs cause severe brain damage apparently.

Not necessarily. Assuming that Lore uses the same standard mob aggro system as most MMO's, in other words the one that makes the most sense, the enemies aggro wouldn't shift to another target just because it showed up. Mobs usually attack the one that attacked them over other targets unless they have a special AI (for example Ogre's in Dragons Dogma target females over males.) So the Pker would really just have to hide until their victim hits an enemy, then jump out, tank 1 hit and kill them and boom. Free kill with no red. After that they don't really even need to bother with the monster. They could just walk away before the monster aggro's them.

Lore is much more advanced, and I feel like enemies could handle multiple enemies and adapt at least somewhat.

I feel like what you said would be a risky maneuver.

Tbh guys, I'm not really a big fan of people being able to get away with PKing with no consequences except a red mark. I remember in SAO if you killed an orange player you wouldn't go orange, because a lot of times it was in self-defense, like Kirito when he killed Kuradeel. They also had a jail, as Yosuke mentioned. This made it risky for PKers to walk around in public, kind of like real life with wanted criminals.

Seems like, with no real consequences for being a PK--no jail, nobody's going to try and stop you because they're afraid that they might accidentally go red too except a certain few that don't care/don't know--this could easily turn into something à la Lord of the Flies, with PKers at the top.

I'd much rather there be no red mark for killing a red player like SAO does, since most of the time those situations would be self-defense. If that's too much, the self-defense clause also works. At least something to prevent PKers running wild with no consequences aside from a little red mark that doesn't actually handicap them or anything.

in SAO if you killed an orange player you wouldn't go orange, because a lot of times it was in self-defense.

That's not true, you get turned orange for attacking any player without consent whether it's in self defense or not.  The orange goes away after a couple of days, but red stays forever

But i do like the idea of a jail system!

Archived