Lore Online [OoC/Accepting]

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not true, you get turned orange for attacking any player without consent whether it's in self defense or not.  The orange goes away after a couple of days, but red stays forever

But i do like the idea of a jail system!

http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/Player_Killing

"However, if a person attacks anyone who already had an orange cursor, the former player's own cursor won't change, since the game interprets it as defending someone or protecting themselves, just as Kirito did when he protected Asuna by killing Kuradeel."

[spoiler=Long rambling rant]

Neither of those options seem like they'd actually work in this setting, so that's a concern I'm having. Not being able to differentiate seems like an issue.

I actually had the same issue. I'm studying law enforcement now so I know this kind of thing happens in real life too, but in a setting like this where people don't usually have home addresses, very little record keeping, the overwhelming amount of people who will likely have no witness to attest to their side, and nothing but circumstantial evidence there'd be no way to enforce a fair trial. It'd really just be Joshua Tree's word against the defendants. Sure you can interview the person friends and people who know them, but in this case, I bring up that girl who attacked Silica. She never actually attacked anyone, just lead them into ambushes where the real Pkers would do the dirty work. How is Joshua Tree supposed to know 

If there is a Jail system it needs to be run by the game itself. Joshua Tree could still act as the police but just picking up red players solely because they're red seems like an abuse of power. The best possible solution would be something like the jail teleport crystal used in that too. Maybe a more advanced version of it though that would read past data involving the character, see if who they fought was red or not, etc. and then return to the users inventory if they were deemed innocent.

That being said, we also need to keep in mind that this is still a video game so our worlds laws won't always apply, and the player law upkeep could have never even been considered. I know, I know, it's probably not a glitch, but till that's been confirmed true or false, I'm going to do the natural thing and think the way a game designer might think on this. That being said, there is a point where most game designers have to take a step back and say "something like this is too much", so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they didn't add in forensics, fingerprints, or DNA to the game, so you can't charge someone with the old "Your DNA was at the crime scene" thing.
[/spoiler]

Actual helpful suggestion

As much as I hate admitting this, SAO did have some fair ideas once in a while. So borrowing this from them, I say:

Green - Innocent

Yellow - Self Defense(Maybe?)

Orange - Assault

Red - Murder

If a Green player attacks another Green player for any reason, the attacker becomes an Orange player. If a Green player kills an Orange player, the game will assume it was Self Defense, and make that player Yellow. Killing a Red player will yield the same effect. Orange and Yellow will both expire after a certain amount of time, say a week for both, but Red never expires. For the sake of drama/atonement or whatever and because let's face it, if this were a real game there'd be red players all over the place, there ARE methods players can use to clear their Red status. These usually involve extremely difficult and often times not worth it quests that are appointed by an NPC called The Judge.

In terms of Jail, this is also managed by The Judge. Players have the option of using an item called Handcuffs (or some other name, this is just a suggestion.) which they can use on other players to send them to a special location (possibly a dungeon?) called "Alcran Prison" (again, name is just a suggestion) where they will be forced to wait for a period of time equal to their colored offense.

Green - N/A

Yellow - Not sure with this one...

Orange - 2-8 weeks

Red - can last years depending on how many players they've killed.

In the case that the prison is like a dungeon, players are also given the option to complete the dungeon, or "escape jail" to cut their sentence short.This will not effect that players Crime Ranking however. The dungeon would also be a High level dungeon, so as to discourage escapes. Normally if a player were to die during an "escape" they would be returned to their cell, but obviously that's not the case now.

EDIT: I don't know why either, but for some reason the "helpful suggestion" part won't go into a spoiler >.>

I quite like that idea to be honest. Though only issue is that a person could kill an Orange player who assaulted but didn't kill anyone and be fine.

Mostly I'm worried because the current system punishes people who feel guilty more than those who don't care and just want to kill.

I was thinking about something. Perhaps a players HUD records everything and that could be used to determine if it was self-defense or not? Cause thinking about how high-tech and fantasy this place is maybe something could be worked out with that. (don't take my suggestion as a solid "Do this" please, it's just a suggestion that I haven't fleshed out at all)

Words

I agree with a lot of what you said here. I'd much rather the jail be run by the game than players. Also I think the color thing could work. Seems better than just indiscriminately slapping a red mark on anybody, regardless of their situation.

Edit (Reply to Ninja Cow): I think that that's fairly possible that the game designers could come up with something. If they have basic knowledge on how killers work, then they'd probably come up with something besides the "red mark on everybody who kills thing." Quite a few people who kill are proud of it and like to brag about it, so a red mark wouldn't even really be a punishment, but a badge of pride for them.

Allow me to shed my thoughts on the base red system.

1. It is a very simple and mechanical system. This isn't that big of a point, but I like it somewhat.
  2. It's based on the very virtuous and overly idealistic idea that killing is simply bad. Even if you killed out of self-defense, many would still feel bad. I don't see this morality part as a particularly stupid thing. People do feel this way.
  3. Yes, it IS an imperfect system. That's what makes things complicated. You can't actually just judge on the fact that someone is red that they are someone you need to avoid. If you could actually accurately tell, that'd make things too simplified and easy. Keeping life complex is certainly something I would consider in virtual reality game design.
  4. As for whether it's childish, contrived, and 2edgy4me, I don't find it so. It's not a bad system for the reasons above, hence it's not really immature.
  5. This system brings up a tough question, would it be right to just avoid red people in this case when they're not necessarily bad? I'd be on the fence if asked this question. Most people would want to keep themselves and their friends safe. On the other hand, you could be contributing to someone's terrible situation and doing what is literally discrimination. As the good guys, we'd be the ones trusting them, as we trust Tadashi, but on the other hand, most people do end up avoiding them completely.
  6. The system fits easily with what I'm going to say below.

I very much disagree with a system-run jail. This is a chaotic world that you've been thrown into, and the best of the best have risen up to take the responsibility to try to create order. The fact that the system itself is aiding in justice ironically makes it unfair (in that, justice is aided by the world itself, whereas realistically justice is upheld by society). Also, it's very cool that Joshua Tree is trying to help the world.

As for the fact that Joshua Tree can't actually properly try anyone. I love that. We're brought back to the Middle Ages where there is little to no forensic science. How do we best prove a person's guilt or innocence in this world? That's up to the players to rack their brains about. Or maybe there is psychometric magic and clairvoyance, that'd be pretty cool. Because the high potential of unfairness this will cause a lot of problems in the society, which is great for storytelling material.

Okay, I understand what you're saying, and you do have good points. From a storytelling perspective, that does make for a more interesting story but at the same time, this is also a story that takes place in a video game. So you need to think on a broader term then just what would make for a good story. There's certain mechanics that can't really be sacrificed for the sake of storytelling and Pk consequences are one of them. Now thinking back to the fact that this is a game, let's say that there wasn't any glitch/or prick that made dying in game kill the player too. What's to stop everyone from being a Pker? A red mark won't do it.

The thing is, in games like this people love to fight other players and PK. It enriches the gameplay experience, provides players with options on how they want to play things, and adds a more competitive vibe to it. But there's usually restrictions in place, since if there weren't everyone would be Pkers. You're saying that here the restriction is someone really dies when they're Pked, which from a storytelling perspective is great, but from a gameplay perspective it's not enough. Assuming that that people don't die when they're killed, what stops characters in Osprey from being like "lol death has no meaning!" and becoming Pkers? The acception to this sort of thing would be if the game were advertised by focusing on the Pking above all else, but I don't think enough info was given to say whether or not it was, so I'm gonna assume it wasn't.

That's what the system Jail is for. It serves as a sort of fine line in gameplay development between too lazy and not lazy enough. It's simple enough so that players have a genuine reason to not want to Pk other then moral restrictions (which would cease to exist if you removed the death aspect) and yet still gives players a means of governing themselves.

^this

However, imho, most of you are looking at this from a bad angle. In order to grasp an appropriate balance, you have to take Lore for what it is... A game.

As it is, slapping a red mark on anyone who kills isn't going to cut it if Lore wasn't meant to be a PKfest. If that was the only downside, most people would be PKers and yet would interact normally. In fact, those who are aren't red would probably have the social short end of the stick as they may be considered weaklings, noobs, etc.

As much as I'd think a jail system would be nice, unless they were planning on trapping people in the game from the start, I don't think it would work. In a real game, you'd get released from jail anywhere from a few seconds to a few hours. Normally, this would suffice, but since these peeps can't log out and killing is a lot more serious, a few hours (at most) isn't gonna cut it. Days/weeks would be necessary but something they wouldn't have done outright since being locked out of a normal game for an actual week would discourage people picking said game back up.

I do think an on-sight kill counter for reds could have potential. In a normal game, even if it is an Anti-PK game, the more PKs you have, the more intimidating you are likely to be. That is something people would do, increase their kill counter for a certain prestige. However, in Lore that number could also bring down the hammer of justice. Too high, and it's obvious you are a murderer. 1-2, and you could simply have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I think a good incentive though would be an exp (even level) loss if caught. A PKer gets captured and suddenly he/she may be weaker than those they hunt. If the game is anti-PK, this is probably one of the more balanced methods to keep it in check. Since PKers have to be more powerful than other players, this is a serious setback to their PKing, and yet it works just as well in a normal game as well as in Lore.

On a less related note, here's my Lore for Lore Submission

[spoiler=Long Forgotten Manor]

[spoiler=Floor 1]

iJvebOW.jpg

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Floor 2]

TpvJxiZ.jpg

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Roof]

f822Ot0.jpg

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Basement]

FLWeeWx.jpg

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=History]

Long ago, there was beautiful Manor in the frozen snow fields near Phecda. So magnificent was this building, that the people of Phecda claimed it was built by the Goddess herself as yet another addition to her story. Every month the manor would open it's gates to all of Phecda, and hold wonderful parties and galas. Within the manor lived a proud and beautiful young woman of nobility named Myrh. The Countess was among the fairest maidens in all of Lore, and was desired by many nobles across the land; but Countess Myrh had eyes only for Duke Alban of Dubhe. The two held a deep love for each other. However, the Lord of Phecda was jealous of their love. He coveted the Countess and despised Duke Alban because of Myrh's affection for him. So when Phecda was under attack by monsters, the Lord called for Duke Alban's aid. Myrh pleaded with Alban not to go, but Alban would not have any question his loyalty. 

During the battle, Duke Alban fought valiantly and without match. But the Lord of Phecda's lust was greater than the Duke's skill. In the midst of the fray, the Lord of Phecda struck down Duke Alban, leaving him dead in the streets. The men who saw his heinous act were paid for their silence, and the Duke was laid to rest, burying all truth with him. The Lord of Phecda thought that Myrh would take his hand in marriage now that Duke Alban was dead, but this was not so. Instead, Myrh closed the doors to the manor, never to open them again. [/spoiler]

[spoiler=Enemies]

[spoiler=bosses]

Myrh, the Mourning Countess

Element: Earth

Difficuly: Boss

Description: When the Countess closed her doors, she threw herself into a deep depression like madness. Nothing could console her but the warm touch of her beloved Duke Alban. But she would never feel his touch again, she would never hear his voice. Out of desperation Myrh delved into forbidden magic and alchemy, using spiders venom on herself to attempt to bring her heighten her senses with the afterlife and be one with her lover once again. The result was to twist and pervert her once proud beauty into a monstrous visage that was neither human nor spider.

Combat Info: Myrh stands back mostly and drags targets away from the party to attempt to disrupt combat flow and teamwork. She'll often times hang on the wall and use her thread to attempt hanging her prey. Occasionally she'll spit a wad of thread to the ground that holds anyone who steps in it in place. Every so often Myrh will spit poison in place of her thread. When forced to, she will strike at players with staff too, but Myrh prefers to cast spells from a distance. 

Drops:

• Spider Princess Staff <Staff>: The staff used by Myrh, the Mourning Countess. The wicked design and macabre appearance make it a decent staff for an evil wizard. Just holding the weapon makes the wielders mana increase. (Mana increase by 25%) - 15% chance
  • Poison Clutch Ring: A ring that imbues the wearer with a poisonous touch. Favored by thieves and killers for the underhanded edge it grants them (15% chance to poison on strike) - 7% chance
  • Gold (Random high amount)

Macabre Doll, Alban

Element: Wood

Difficulty: Boss

Description: During her madness the Countess had a life sized doll of her fallen love crafted for her. The doll was not enough though and did not satisfy her desires. So the Countess used forbidden sorcery to bind the soul of a child to her doll, and in a way had gained her love back. Still the doll could not replace her lover, and so the doll became a mere reminder of her misery; driving the Countess further into madness.

Combat Info: Alban is equipped with a long estoc which he uses to impale players with quick thrusts and strokes. In terms of abilities, he has very few, and his main purpose is to tank for Myrh. Occasionally, after he has been killed Myrh will go to his body and revive him. This can be avoided by burning the body, but will result in enraging Myrh. However, Alban does have a repeating crossbow on his left arm, and can fire a line of projectiles at targets.

Drops:

• Estoc <Rapier>: A long, thin, diamond shaped sword used for thrusting through chinks in armor to strike weak points. A favored weapon of those who enjoy swift fatal blows. (10% Armor Pierce with thrusts attacks) 20%
  • Crossbow Bolt

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Mini Bosses]

4 Rooftop Gargoyles

Element: Metal

Difficulty: Medium

Description: The Gargoyle is a noble creature that silently guards it's post, attacking only when it detects a a threat nearby. It's scales are hard as stone, and will heavily guard against bladed weapons, but has a weakness to blunt strikes.

Drops the Basement Key for

Drung the Blighted Manservant

Element: Earth

Difficulty: Hard

Description: Drung the massive Manservant served the Countess since she was very young. His sickly appearance made him an outcast to the rest of the world, but his mistress took him in anyways. Thus Drung protected the Countess with his life, using his massive size and power to crush anyone who threatens his mistress. Even after all these years, he still remains the Countesses loyal guardian.

Drops the Ballroom Key.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Combat Approach]

[spoiler=Short]

> Make your way to the Roof
>Defeat the Rooftop Gargoyles and get the Basement Key

>Make your way to the Basement

>Defeat Drung the Blighted Manservant

>Return to the first floor through the secret passage in the Boiler Room

>Enter the Ballroom and face the boss

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Long]

Upon entering it is recommended that the party splits into two groups to properly explore the first floor and loot as many of the rooms as possible. One of the rooms should contain the key to the treasure room, which will always yield one rare item OR a large amount of gold. Each of the other rooms contain random assorted healing items and some gold, maybe a low ranked weapon if the player in question is lucky, but nothing really special. One room should however contain the key to the Treasure Room, which will contain a rare item and large amounts of gold.

Once the party feels comfortable that they've sufficiently explored the floor, they should regroup and meet in the Foyer to move to the second floor. F2 yields less in the way of item pickups, but the Meeting Room does have a servants record describing events that happened prior to Duke Alban's death. R10 is locked from the other side as well, but no worries. Once the floor is explored, players should head to the Roof and face the Gargoyles. This is not a particularly difficult battle, a party of 8 is more or less a perfect match. 2 players are an equal match for 1 Gargoyle, and the Gargoyles don't hold very high Hp. Once the battle is complete, one party member will randomly receive the Basement Key, and the room on top of the roof will unlock, opening a pathway to F2. From there you can unlock the path to R10. There's also a chest located in R10 that will usually yield a decent piece of armor.

Once you're back on F1, make your way to the West Wing staircase that will lead to the Basement. Use the Basement Key to unlock the door and move forward to the Basement. Exploring is somewhat needed here. Few of the rooms hold anything of any real use, but you will need to locate the key to the Boiler Room. If players are injured or tired, move to the Safe Room to set up camp. Enemies will not enter the Safe Room at all, giving the players a short reprieve from the combat of the rest of the Dungeon. Once all players are ready, move forward to the Boiler Room to face Drung the Blighted Manservant. Drung is a more difficult than the Gargoyles, but still manageable. Work as a party and Drung will drop like a fly. That being said, Drung is not a man to be underestimated. Once he's been defeated, a party member will receive the Ballroom key and a ladder will fall down leading to the Courtyard. All that's left to do now is make your way to the Ballroom and take down Myrh and Alban and claim your rewards[/spoiler] [/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Well, as much as Lore is a game and all...

This is a story about a game. You can kinda afford to be a bit unrealistic(?) with the system mechanics and everything if you want to. .hack/SIGN had no penalties for PK-ing, but a player-run authoritative group(The Crimson Knights) were going around stopping notorious PKers with a good amount of success, so things were fine. I for one support the base red system for pretty much the same reason as Aix. Especially the fifth point he brings up.

Well, as much as Lore is a game and all...

This is a story about a game. You can kinda afford to be a bit unrealistic(?) with the system mechanics and everything if you want to.

I'm afraid I can't disagree more as this is the exact problem that caused SAO to become such a plot hole heavy mess. They got the Pking part really well, but they took the "game mechanics can be unrealistic for plot sake" idea way out of hand. How many times did Kirito do something completely stupid and reckless that would have slaughtered him and yet came out fine just to remind people that he was the main character? Except that when SAO does it it gets slightly more of a pass on this because it has exciting action scenes. That doesn't work when it comes to books or text based roleplays though, since by reading you're forced to immerse yourself more then you would if you were to be watching an anime.

If you want a story to work and be believable then you need to make sure that important things like setting holds up well. This goes double for when the setting is a video game because video games have so many more laws to them, and is even more vital when you consider that most of the people involved will be people who play video games.

Also, this isn't as b a deal, but there is such a thing as TOO much morality too. For example, there was a section of the Walking Dead where they took a prisoner and then spend like 3 of the 10 episodes of that season talking about what the hell they want to do with him. Things like that can eventually get boring.

Rather then debating though it's probably better at this point if it's just put to a vote. Most important points on both sides seem to have already been made anyways, so further argument seems pointless now.

SAO is a pretty extreme example, and more importantly, the writer probably didn't give a shit at all about MMO mechanics when making Kirito broken, rather than trying to bend mechanics for plot's sake.

A better example would be .hack(SIGN, at least), where there was NO penalty for PK-ing. No actual MMO would have this. Yet PKers weren't running abound in the masses because there was a player-run authoritative group(The Crimson Knights) who deal with PKers who get out of line, and things basically work out well.

This story has Joshua Tree trying to maintain order as well, so I think that a slightly unrealistic system like this 'base red' system works fine.

Regarding the whole PKing issue, I'm on the side of keeping the system the way it is. Aix's points 2 and 3 are my major reasons why. The designers of Lore never anticipated people getting trapped in their game, after all, so they didn't want to make a complex system.

BIG NEWS REGARDING FUTURE CHARACTER ACCEPTANCE.

So I'm reconsidering having the lore contest for Osprey. Instead, I think I'm planning to open up admission for the last two slots after this mission (which shouldn't take too much longer). In addition, I'll be opening up spots on the roster for two other guilds, Joshua Tree and the artisan-focused Atelier Ichimatsu. These guilds wouldn't be as directly tied to the main plot as Osprey is, but they'll have unique opportunities to explore the world of Lore that Osprey members won't. Would people like that to happen? Please let me know!

(And CowCow, this would mean you could have Natasha without edits as a member of Joshua Tree. (: )

Regarding the whole PKing issue, I'm on the side of keeping the system the way it is. Aix's points 2 and 3 are my major reasons why. The designers of Lore never anticipated people getting trapped in their game, after all, so they didn't want to make a complex system.

I am full in favor of this, considering changing the PKing system would require a remaster of my character. 

So I'm reconsidering having the lore contest for Osprey. Instead, I think I'm planning to open up admission for the last two slots after this mission (which shouldn't take too much longer). In addition, I'll be opening up spots on the roster for two other guilds, Joshua Tree and the artisan-focused Atelier Ichimatsu. These guilds wouldn't be as directly tied to the main plot as Osprey is, but they'll have unique opportunities to explore the world of Lore that Osprey members won't. Would people like that to happen? Please let me know!

(And CowCow, this would mean you could have Natasha without edits as a member of Joshua Tree. (: )

Alright, now this is going to sound greedy, considering that I already have a place in this RP, but will those that have already been accepted be able to apply for the other guilds as well?

Alright, now this is going to sound greedy, considering that I already have a place in this RP, but will those that have already been accepted be able to apply for the other guilds as well?

Yes, but you wouldn't be able to hold a position of power or prestige in those guilds. You'd just have to be a regular member. Additionally, if it comes to a tie between a returning and a new member for a slot, I'd have to favor the newbie.

A lore contest for Lore sounds fun. I'm definitely interested if you decide to do it!

But I already submitted my... Okay...

Eh... since I already wrote all this up, might as well post it...

[spoiler='Goddess' Hand']
A roving band of NPCs exist in Lore known as the "Goddess’ Hand”. There are 12 Nomads total of this band with 9 specializing in various fields as well as warrior triplets known as the Blind Trio.

Each of these NPCs specialize in a differing life skill that they would say they trained all their lives to master.

Tonos is the Master Smith of the group. He is an enormous muscular man with a great, dark curly beard though he is bald and lacks eyebrows. A genial soul, when he is not working, he likes to sit around and regale people with the story of him and his compatriots and their travels. The weapons that he crafts are said to be without compare; most people believe he has even discovered some magic to be able to craft weapons that never break and never need maintenance. Of course, his craft does not come cheap. Most times, guilds have to pool their money together to buy a custom piece…though this is usually the end of that guild as most players can’t agree on who gets to keep the piece.

L’arya is the Master Tailor of the group. She stands near as tall as Tonos and walks in small elegant steps. She wears a mask of makeup that pales her features and her small, delicate hands are usually covered by her sleeves. Gentle and kind, she gives off an easy air despite her grandeur. She is also quick to laugh, but her mood sours when her age is discussed (she is, despite all appearances, apparently close to sixty). Her custom garb dresses the entire band, the clothing so magnificent that it was what gave them the name “Goddess’ Hand”. L’arya is able to imbue each of her pieces with differing types of magic, so that her custom clothes aren’t just lovely, but useful as well.

Adon is the Master Pharmacist of the group. Standing at a mere 60 inches, he always wears a tall hat and his wide eyes appear to be looking constantly surprised. He has stringy white hairs that run all the way down his back. The quietest of the group, he supposedly was the one that created a potion that slowed the aging process among his fellows. Of course, his medicines are top notch and always have multiple beneficial effects, some lasting even a few weeks. He is even rumored to have potions that grant extra capabilities like fire breath, a sixth sense, or even the ability to fly, but no one has yet seen proof of this.

Lucius is the Master Farmer of the group. Standing at a good 5’6”, he has short blond hair and very light blue eyes. His hands and feet are always bare and leathery with the amount of work and walking he does, but he his temperament is always calm, taking a long-term view of things in the steady slow way his plants grow. Despite all the travelling, he has yet to have a plant die on him, and he is able to revive plants from near death. One of the least called-on companions of “Goddess’ Hand”, he offers his services for free, though he also sells rare seeds at a decent price. He also mastered the art of plant breeding, making sure to offer seeds that are hardy and healthy when he sells them.

Golgo Kureem is the Master Miner of the group. Always going by his full name, he stands slightly taller than Lucius, despite his humped back. A considerably ugly fellow, Golgo Kureem has a neutral personality at best, oftentimes going south quite quickly. While in the city, he can often be found drinking like a monster in a bar. What does put a smile on his face are rare stones and gems and he has a soft spot for others who value the delicate art of mining. He easily able to identify what hidden gems might be inside a stone and generally gives a fair estimate. His extraction services are based primarily on his estimate, though he always offers a set price to extract without identifying the rock. Most times though, the post-identification price is lower.

Nana is the Master Fisherwoman of the group. Standing at 62 inches, she has wavy short, dark hair and green eyes. Initially a thief by trade, she was often able to pickpocket people using naught but a fishing pole. Mischievous in nature, she also is the youngest member of the group, not even 20. Easily able to catch all different kinds of fish, she often barters rare species and specialized rods in the marketplace. Probably the least popular of the group (in terms of skills), she tends to sit on city rooftops and increase her skill by fishing for fat wallets or even rare items using her special rods.

Jean-Florance is the Master Cook of the group. A jolly, heavyset middle age man with red cheeks and even redder hair oftentimes covered by a chef’s cap. A bubbly, always smiling man, Jean-Florance is one of the few people who can make truly delicious food. Unlike the others of his group, he doesn’t usually sell anything, but instead sends people on missions to hunt down rare ingredients, paying for it with a taste of his final product. While on the road, he often works in conjunction with Lucius and Nana to get his ingredients. For a “small donation”, he even allows people into his workspace, teaching them and drastically improving their cooking skills. When not working, Jean-Florance enjoys conversing with others about news and gossip from around the world.

Hiomi is the Master Carpenter of the group. A pleasant girl to be around, she stands tall at 5’4”. Her chocolate colored hair is almost perpetually covered with sawdust. Quiet around others, she doesn’t say much, but enjoys a lot of company. Of course, when she gets drunk (which doesn’t apparently take too much), she becomes quite wild and highly amusing. Her busiest times tend to be when setting up camp and breaking it down. While in town, she tends a fix-all stall where she can repair wooden objects, though other NPCs usually hire her for repairs of buildings and other structures around town.

J is the Master Appraiser of the group. A mysterious soul constantly clad in a face-hiding, deep purple cloak covered in runes, no one knows if J is male or female. Initially a practitioner of dark magics, J now travels with the “Goddess’ Hand”. While in town, J stays in his/her pavilion and all business they do is done in there. An expert at appraising, J can tell at a glance what magical powers an item contains and, for a small payment, can slightly increase its abilities. J also runs a highly sought after future-telling gimmick that is highly popular and is often uncannily accurate.

The Blind Trio:
Aemon the Strong – A strength class unit who has mastered skills in all three strength classes. He was apparently the first born of the trio and the initial founder of “Goddess’ Hand”. Tall, heavy and powerful, Aemon gives of the air of an unstoppable tank of destruction, taking the front line when the group travels through the lands between cities. Aemon is arguably the strongest NPC in all of Lore. Once, a blade had sliced one of his eyes, causing him to go blind in that eye. His brothers, in their sadness, each took one of their eyes as well, giving themselves the name of Blind Trio. Despite all, Aemon treats young adventurers with kindness and helps out where he can.

Randan the Quick – A Speed class unit who is considered one of the fastest beings in all of Lore. Rumors go that Randan was able to outpace a horse when its rider stole one of his swords. Tall like Aemon, Randan has a much lighter and lither build, the better to dodge enemy blows. He is also adept at using ranged weapons such as bows and throwing knives, though he also uses his sword, Masha, to great effect. Randan is a much more laid back fellow and would rather party than work. He also has an eye for the ladies and is known to have (roughly) a million one-liners.

Faeral the Wise – A Skill class unit who can heal, summon, and dish out heavy elemental damage. It is said that Faeral slew a golden dragon, killing it with his own fire while grinning madly. Of course, anyone who knows Faeral would know that that is a mere rumor since he is stoic and almost never smiles. That said, because he’s mastered multiple veins of magic, many aspiring spellcasters come to him for advice. He gives advice, but oftentimes in riddles that many never fully understand. He is also the treasurer for “Goddess’ Hand”, and is often seen scolding the others when they provide services for free/less than usual.

[/spoiler]

I have to be honest, though, I prefer making characters and designing the world than actually participating, so if any of my ideas get in, I'd rather keep on the outside than making a character for the RP itself.

Hmmmmm shame. I had a really good idea for the enemies that I'm going to put right here:

[spoiler Hollowed Knight]
Name: Hollowed Knight
Element: Dark
Difficulty: High
Description: 
The Hollowed Knight is seen by only a few players, and held in regards as a myth; an urban legend. Hollowed Knights are very real. Found mostly occupying the city of Mizar and the deepest of dungeons, Hollowed Knights can be described as cursed Terracotta Soldiers; knights made of ashen stone. In light, they stand motionless; crouched and curled in fetal positions clutching at their heads with their faces frozen in contorted pain. In the dark, they move. Seemingly weak, Hollowed Knights move at a very slow pace; they never run or pursue beyond a walking speed. Yet players are cautioned to leave these things well enough alone.

Despite their slow pace, Hollowed Knights have a ridiculous max HP and defense values and move in almost complete silence. Some players say that when a Hollowed Knight lays eyes on a player, the player starts to...hear things and see things. Before they know it, they've snuffed their own torch out and are never seen again. Others claim that they've seen Hollowed Knights grip their teammates and almost suck a strange purple mist from their own throats. Others claim that while fighting a Hollowed Knight that they've chipped away its armor, and when they moved the center of the view on certain places, they can briefly witness the name and empty health bar of their own teammates floating above the Knight... as if it was actually them...

Rumor is Mizar was taken by Hollowed Knights alone; NPC's and Players alike turned into more and more of the walking, soulless statues. These statues can be seen littering the streets sometimes, but not many know whether these are Hollowed Knights or not. Most players advise to never enter Mizar at night...
[/spoiler]

And, of course, here's my character's profile again with some minor edits:

[spoiler=Aira/Aika]
4Y2evBu.png
I'll mess 'em up!

Personality Information
Name: Aria
Epithet: Amp
Age of Appearance: 17/18
Sex: Female
Appearance:
Standing at an AVERAGE FIVE FEET FOUR INCHES (and if you say otherwise you'll be missing some teeth) Aria expresses a spunky attitude through messy, short, curly, white hair; a worn-out jacket that doubles as leather armor, work-pants, and steel-toed boots. By no means does the character look like it has the stature of someone who's trying to compensate for the kind of person they're not; in fact it looks more like they tried to make a rather accurate portrayal of themselves in the game.

Face-wise, Aria's not like... un-pretty or anything. With large, bright blue eyes; a round nose; thin lips; and the fact that maybe she looks a little younger than she actually is, she'd be a lot more attractive if it looked like effort was taken to make herself presentable. Through all the dirt scruff and snarky and/or tough expressions, there's a soft-hearted girl in there... maybe. Seriously, joke about the height and you'll regret it.

In real life (IRL as some may say), Aika is just as short; actually a little shorter than her character. With large, dark eyes, the familiar round nose and thin lips; the main difference is Aria's better-kept short, black hair compared to her character's messy, kind-of curly white hair. Her usual attire involves a cut-off jacket over a fitting gray long-sleeve with tight jeans torn at the knees, red sneakers, and a pair of big headphones around her neck.

http://i.imgur.com/LkZf5Ko.png

PersonalityAika, for the most part, is fairly complicated with her emotions. Back as a child, Aika was a very quiet child. Reading books and practicing her singing, she never spent much time around other kids. This, of course, did not lead to good things at school. With a history of some bullying that got... really bad, we'll say. A lot has happened since then, and because of all that Aika has... changed, gradually, from the quiet, shy girl to someone... a lot more rambunctious. Aika has become a balloon of emotions that has become over-inflated. With a fuse shorter than she herself and a tendency to attempt to hide what's really going on, Aika can be a person you would rather tip-toe around depending on who you are and your personality.

Because of her past, Aika feels the need to be really tough; to be strong for herself and those around her. This also means that she's grown to be incredibly reckless because of her nature. Reckless, over-confident, and very energetic at times. Being reckless and quite dramatic at times does not mean she's a bad person. Aika genuinely cares for the people "close" to her, and makes a big effort to stand up for those who are being picked on or worse. She may have a short fuse, but knows how to restrain herself at least a LITTLE bit.

Questionable maturity and over-confidence aside, Aika generally does not rub the right way with: people striving for too much attention (jealousy may be a big part of this) and people who act like they're better than others, specifically herself. Taking things a step further, Aika generally despises people who pick on others or get their kicks at someone else's expense. If you're a bully, you're gonna get it.

But really, let's put emotional problems aside from a moment. Aika's a very laid-back person at times; known for being casual to a point where some may take it as disrespectful. Laid-back also translates to "Pretty lazy" overall; hard work and labor that isn't fun isn't Aika's jam (and this applied to homework as well). She's a very fun-loving person, and really likes being around people that she enjoys hanging out with. When getting that sweet, sweet adrenaline rush isn't the activity of choice at the time, Aika loves to surround herself with people she likes and hopefully like her as well. Of course, there are always those times where Aika needs to get away and get in touch with the more... musical side of herself.

Overall, Aika has embraced the Lockdown. Compared to most players, Aika has a great enthusiasm for living in the world of Lore and enjoys most days. Granted, when the conversation turns to "when they get out", Aika generally tries to change the subject...

Combat Information
Category: Dexterity
Class: Brawler
Level45
Fighting Style: Aika's style is rather recognizable: in the fray as fast as possible, and take out the enemy before they know it. The strategy is minimal and the planning just as so. The results are usually mixed, and as such Aria's learned at least some restraint until the members of the guild that are able to tell her what do "Let loose the hounds" so to speak. Whatever the outcome, the enemy usually walks out with more than its fair share of broken teeth and a wide collection of new bruises or broken limbs.
Inventory:

• Tough Girl's Coat <Light>: A tan, long-sleeved coat that Aria is never seen without. With what appears to be some leather pads stitched on at key places, Aria's coat is ready for battle as some sort of makeshift leather armor.
  • Crescendo Cestus <Gloves>: Metal gloves meant to make punches hurt a lot more. Consecutive hits make attacks hit a little stronger each time; but taking too long between hits or a missed attack reset the stack.
  • Libretto Locket: An emerald necklace tucked away. Grants some minor sound-based Wind touches to Aria's attacks and moves.
Sample Skills:

- Staccato Slam
- Legato Leap
- Bass Breaker

Real-World Identity
Name: Aika Akiyama (
秋山愛佳, Ah-kee-yama Aikah)
Home City: Fukagawa
Trivia:
  • Aika's been a lead-singer in her band "Cloud Knights"; granted that name keeps changing... along with the genre. The band hasn't seen too much success.
  • Aika has a strange obsession with music from North America, even though she can't understand it.
  • Aika used to be quite the bookworm. Used to be.
Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOnRgUWXA4s

Your Skype Name: link.the.hylian
[/spoiler]

If there's anything that needs help with, or you need some more information, check our PM, Phosphorus :o

[spoiler=The Pilgrim's Path]

Named for the great winding road stretching between Dubhe and Merak, The Pilgrim's Path is one of the better known and explored Fields in Lore Online.  While the road itself is one of the most heavily traveled in all of Lore, this region is considered one of the more dangerous places to be found.  The heat of the desert itself is the main concern for travelers, as it can quickly sap the strength of those that move through it and force them to consume far more of their supply of water than they otherwise would.  Another great risk are the multitude of sandstorms that blow through the region, which greatly limit the visibility of players and can result in their getting lost.  However, these two dangers seldom pose any real threat as players are typically well prepared before they make the trek between the cities.

The road for which this region is named is without a doubt the safest path through the desert.  Along this cobblestone trail very few monsters spawn, and a great many wandering NPCs can be found.  Most of those NPCs either sell water or offer it as a reward for low-level quests throughout the desert.  Adding on to the safety of the path is the relatively low level of the few monsters that do spawn close to it, making it a popular zone for weaker players to train and higher level players to keep in practice.  Higher level players along the road will even find themselves treated to the occasional small raid by higher level monsters which tend to drop fairly valuable items.  However, this safety comes at the price of a greatly extended journey.  It can take upwards of four days for players to walk the road from Dubhe to Merak, and that is if they do not stop to quest or if their journey is unhindered by a sandstorm along the way.  The majority of players still choose to take the road rather than run the forbidding gauntlet that the desert presents.

The more direct routes between the two major cities tend to avoid the cobblestone road to varying degrees.  The path which most higher level players will take remains true to the Pilgrim's Path in a few places, but takes a great deal of shortcuts where it curves about through the desert.  Few, if any, players choose to take the most direct route: a straight line from Dubhe to Merak which crosses the Pilgrim's Path in only one place.  This trail is the most dangerous, and is known in game as The Pilgrim's Trial, while it only takes a total of two days to cross.  Only the suicidal undertake the Trial alone, and even the mightiest of players form parties of at least ten when attempting to undertake it.  To date, no players have run the trial in its entirety.  Those players that have run it have gone through the section between Dubhe and where the Trial connects back to the Path.  They tell tales of encountering some of the single highest level monsters to be found in Lore Online: creatures ranging from Mummified Emperors to Stone Dragons and even encounters with violent Desert Spirits in many forms.  A few players have ventured into the portion that stretches from the meeting point of the Trial and the Path on to Merak, and they have brought back stories of monsters that are even stronger still.  

Some players have made their way far enough into the second stretch of the Pilgrim's Trial to catch glimpses of a great structure rising out of the sands.  This structure, as NPCs in Merak have said, is a great shrine dedicated to the Goddess Shirazad.  Those that can overcome the final challenge within the shrine are said to be blessed by the Goddess herself.  Whatever form this blessing takes is unknown to players, and rumors about it circulate.  Some claim that this would be where you can change between the classes, others that it unlocks a unique class, and still others that those who overcome the challenge gain weapons of legendary power.  Of course, none have reached the shrine and returned to tell the tale.  It is known, however, that this shrine was absent from the Beta Test.

Further rumors abound that the single strongest boss encounter in the game can be encountered along the Pilgrim's Trial.  Only a single account of this boss' existence has ever been heard, and those that faced it were too terrified to give many details on it.  Even after recovering from the initial shock, they refused to speak of it out of fear that "he [would] come for [them]."  No details could be gained from the party that encountered it, but rumors abound that an excerpt from the game's scripture relates to the boss they encountered.

"And lo, one of her children so loved her tales that he became lost in them.  When the Goddess and her other children moved on, he was nowhere to be found.  Thus it was that Shirazad did lose her Son."[/spoiler]

[spoiler=The Pilgrim's Rest]

Located at the exact center of the desert between Dubhe and Merak, this is the point where The Pilgrim's Path and The Pilgrim's Trial meet.  From the outside, it appears to be a simple stony rise in the middle of the desert but it is so much more.  Four entrances to the monolith, two for the Path and two for the Trial, lead to an astonishing place within.  A large lake dominates the interior of the monolith, and it is surrounded by lush vegetation on all sides.  The top of this structure is itself dominated by a gargantuan transparent barrier, which appears to be some sort of glass.  This lets light in during the day, and thus is the source of light that allows the plants to flourish.  Strangely, this great influx of sunlight does not cause the interior to be heated in the same way the desert outside is.  The vegetation is filled with many peaceful creatures, some of whom are good for hunting, and the water is much the same.  Most players will stop here to rest and refill their water supply while trekking between the cities.  The entirety of the Oasis is a Safe Zone, and as such it is impossible for PvP to occur within except for duels.

Dominating the north shore of the lake is a large structure built of clay, and known as the Pilgrim's Rest Inn.  For a small fee, the inn offers players a room for the night that is more comfortable than the cool sands throughout the oasis.  The NPCs there also offer food to players, again for a small fee, which allows those present to eat without cutting into their supplies.  Players with a particularly high Cooking skill can choose to take up the Feast for the Pilgrims quest here, which involves preparing a massive banquet, with the help of some very competent NPC cooks, for the players and NPCs that stop at the Oasis that day.  This is a popular quest among the cooking population of players, and the chef with the current highest score on the quest has a great deal of bragging rights.  Players that score highly enough in the quest earn equipment which buffs their cooking skill, with the highest place prizes being recipes for food which can heal injuries, buff stats, and even provide players with extra resistance to physical or magic damage.[/spoiler]

Let's do this, I love these RPs already~

Edit: Just adding a note that he is, in fact, applying for Atelier Ichimatsu's spot. 

[spoiler=Idris, Merchant of the Far-Lands]

LrlgkzA.jpg?1

“Your desperation is warrantless. The skies here as blue as those we saw as children.”

Personality Information

Name: Idris

Epithet: Merchant of the Far-Lands

Age of Appearance: Late 20’s

Sex: Male

Appearance: Idris’s character is a relatively towering individual of thin build. His face retains the traditional Japanese features in his brown eyes and head shape. His hair however is contemporary with a silver base and strands of purple throughout and styled with one side shaven and remaining grown out. Weighing 55 kgs, and standing 191 cm, he tends to stand over his colleagues and never give off the impressive of intimidation from his body shape. In character creation, Idris made sure to pay special attention to his hand and gifting himself long dexterous fingers with the left hand missing a pinkie. Oddly enough, the option to remove fingers was not found in character creation and he found means within the game to make it so.

Idris has a sharp eye for craftsmanship and item properties beyond their simple use, regardless if it’s his own work or another’s. This applies to his clothing as well. Idris’s clothing in town’s depends on the city or region where he will dress to match the city culture and ascetic but tries to always include sharp royal colors like crimson, purple, cerulean, etc. in his wardrobe. In combat, Idris rapidly changes his armor choice depending on the situation to create the most effective load out for himself. Is favorite for most easy encounters is multiple tiered robes and scarves stacked like traditional Hindu-dress, which have been personally tailored for him to maximize his potential resistance to elemental damage seen by the colors shown by his armor.

Personality: On the outside, Idris was a man discontent with his life and family feeling only half-alive. He went to work for ungodly hours, came home to an upset wife, took care of his newborn baby boy, and in the scarce moments between bed and repeating it all over again, he would indulge in video games. Inside video games, the personality of Idris prospered into a split personality of his player. Idris is highly adventurous and curious of virtually any subject within the game. He is highly interested in rare items and materials which inspired his primary profession of in-game merchant and highly skilled tailor.

After months within in the game, Idris has come to the accept the game as his new reality and more fitting one for himself than the real world. He has zero desire to return or end the lcokdown, but instead find the secrets and powers hidden within the game. Recently, his latest obsession has been looking for clues to Shirazad’s Heart, a rumored item that contains the magic of sheer creation left behind by the old God.  Idris is easily aggravated by others and tends to dominate conversations towards his own benefit. In group settings, he is withholding of even potentially vital information if he sees selfish purpose in doing so making him potentially untrustworthy but a potential information broker for allies.

Currently, Idris is a popular resource for higher-leveled players and acts as a middle-man between all players, PKers and not, and the crafting powers of Atelier Ichimatsu as long as he can skim a profit on the transactions. He feels morally obligated to best arm and prepare fighting players for dangers and keep the player count of Lore high, especially since he finds this world legitimate and would do many things to protect it. It isn’t uncommon for him to pay players for exhibitions to unknown or far away areas for research or rare items or accompany small bands to move to more opportunistic cities to indulge himself. Because of this, his ties to Atelier Ichimatsu lack loyalty and those up the ladder find him unreliable for now but he responds by building loyalty with his client base instead.

Combat Information

Category: Speed

Class: Corsair

Level: 22

Inventory:

•  Marigold and Dark Skies<Light>: (Sherwani) Far away lands have always been the envy of those with adventurous eyes. Artisans of every age found inspiration in the unique and impossible stylings in the rumors and remnants of forgotten and distant cultures. These garbs are culmination of decades of envy meant to express the foreign influences that drove creativity and imagination from the jealous. (The primary fabric retains its color, the scarf at the top has a the special ability to reflect the color of the skybox in the region while being worn.) Created by Idris.
  • Chronologist’s Sidearm  <Flintlock>: The generations have always had the more ambiguous sort who sought greater and greater power. Kelmer of Mizar, was a pirate off the coast lands many years ago sought to extend his control to time itself using forgotten magics from the dark corners of the world. His work culminated without success, but his weapon was left behind as a reminded to the vanity of man's struggle for power.  
  • Timekeeper’s Memoir : A relic from the age of plenty, this small sundial has been decorated into an ornate and masterfully piece worn as a necklace. The time it captured has been less kind to it as the golden embellishments have long since faded but a clear message written in a forgotten tongue is etched forever in the back. Words so impart to be scratched into something so beautiful, doomed to be forever forgotten. (Tells time on clear days)

Sample Skills:

No Quarter for Wicked:

Dance of Deadmen:

What Lies Below:

Real-World Identity

Name: Seba Jun

Home City: Nishi-Azabu, Minato, Tokyo, Japan

Trivia:

•  

• Has a wife and child back home, but has since accepted this world where by abandoning them. He refuses so far to recount this face with any other player.

• Currently marked as one of the richest individual players in the game, however holds most of his wealth in items waiting to be sold or materials waiting to be transported.

• Enjoys eating meals two to three times a day, to submerse himself in the reality. Also has a thing for blonde girls...

Your Skype Name: GrandRaine

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Shirazad's Heart]

When mother's cradle their children to bed, they regale their children in tales about the beginning of the world and a goddess of fate drenched in white clearer than starlight. The religiousness of adults can be questioned, but these times have more foundation in reality than many dare to think. The goddess of fate who birthed the beginning of our existence was benevolent and real. And when she left us to our own devices, for whatever reason beyond our reckoning, she might have left us us one last parting gift for her children.

In this bountiful and terrifying world, rumors of whispers of fairytales spread the legend of Shirazad's last will, her heart. Shirazad's Heart has been said to reside within the world, hidden and all-powerful. For centuries idiots and fools have chased the edges of the world in search for the item said to, at times, grant immortality or transcend the holder into a god or all the user all their wishes at once. Warlords have sent exhibitions to unknown dangers hoping for it to be a sword that can shatter earth and mountain with a single swing and crush entire nations. Others have speculated that the heart is not a physical item, it may be region of gold and wine hidden within the world. It may be a person, a person of such great potential that the world has bowed to him or her has a conqueror or king or god. The true form of the heart is a mystery, even it's existence is a mystery. 

Even after such time and failures, the rumors of goddess's heart have not ceased. Perhaps the idea of hope, that it can grant peace and prosperity where all men have failed. Recently, these rumors have grown louder and organizations grow interested or at least knowledgeable in the item. As the last gift of our creator, surely now, in a time where humanity is dwindling and the world grows ever darker, it will appear and present either salvation or destruction.

[/spoiler]

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/331609-lore-online-oocnot-accepting/?p=6591006

Updated Natasha with stuff. Changed class and equipment a bit, added a skill, plus two more trivia things. (Can remove those two if need be.)

Also. I know that it's not needed but I wanted to add a little something to the lore. It's not fully fleshed out or anything but it's a little something something.

[spoiler=Hall of the Mountain King]

Deep in the mountains of Lore there is a legendary entrance that few have seen and even fewer have entered. What was once a volcanic mountain is now cold and frozen. No one knows for sure how it got that way. But some say it is because the ruler of the Hall is locked away. It is rumored to lead to a treasure trove of rare weapons. However the way there is guarded by many Mountainous and Shadow area monsters of high level.

If you manage to make your way through these monsters you will find yourself in the Grand Hall. Where lays the Throne of the Mountain King. On that throne sits a man. With the size of a dwarf and the strength of a giant. His name is Brunhar and he wields two mighty hammers of great power. Around his neck is an amulet. This amulet contains the spirit of the Hall's former ruler, a Void Dragon named Kurtengas. The rumors say that if Brunhar is weakened enough the great power of the amulet will activate. However if you overcome this challenge, a great treasure awaits.

[spoiler=Entrance]ulRRWe0.jpg[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Brunhar]aoPV1Ij.jpg[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Kurtengas]eEwU5b9.jpg[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Archived