Newbie Looking to Post My First Complete Archetype! :D

Bee-Rock

Aloha!  This is my first time posting on this site, though I've been lurking for a few months to get an idea of how to make and balance cards.  I started out working on cards to support old archetypes, as well as some original cards, around November of last year.  I'm a real stickler about making them look completely authentic, even going so far as to remake cards entirely just to fix a one-letter typo.  I'm very picky about the images I use, taking care to get only beautiful artwork, and making sure that each set of cards shares a similar appearance or style.  Over the last 3 months, I've been working on my first archetype in my spare time, and I've printed and play-tested it a lot with 9 friends (each with varying tier-decks).  The archetype is called "EVA", and it's inspired by two of my favorite anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion and Eureka Seven.  The set focuses on summoning out various "EVA Pilot" Union monsters, and using them to summon from a set of 6 Synchro monsters, 2 Xyz monsters, and 1 of a new subtype of my own design: Tao monsters.  The main deck monsters are all Warrior-Type, with 1 Psychic exception.  And each of the extra deck monsters are Machine-Type, with 1 Warrior exception.  5 out of the 6 Synchro monsters are "EVA Unit" mechs, which all have the unique effect of:

"When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can target 1 Level 4 or lower "EVA" Union monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in face-up Defense Position.  An "EVA Pilot" card equipped to this card cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects.  During your End Phase: If this card is not equipped with an "EVA Pilot" card, destroy it."

As you could probably tell, each "EVA Unit" requires a pilot in order to survive, and each of the 11 "EVA Pilot" Union monsters can equip and unequip themselves to whichever "EVA Unit" they want in order to give it certain bonus abilities.  1 of these pilots is a a level 6 Warrior/Synchro/Tuner/Union, which can be treated as two level 3 Tuners for the boss monster of the deck, "EVA Unit 0 - Nirvash".  The reason for this is that the card itself is representative of a pilot team.  Each pilot has the common Union effect of "(A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union Monster at a time.  If the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle, destroy this card instead.)"  Thus, the mechs protect the pilots, the pilots eject from their mechs when they've sustained heavy damage, and other pilots can take their place afterwards.  The 2 Xyz monsters serve as guardian-types for other cards in the set, using their Xyz Material to protect or empower the group.  The biggest monster in the deck is "Nirvash - The Seventh Swell", and is a Tao monster.  Tao monsters require Synchro and Xyz monsters to summon, and share the overlay mechanic with Xyz monsters, though there will be no support cards allowing them to attain new material.  They have multiple effects based on the kind of material you *banish* from them.

Basic example: Synchro: Draw 1 card.  Xyz: Destroy 1 Spell/Trap card your opponent controls.

Some Tao monsters have what is called a Yin Yang effect, in which they banish 1 of each kind of material (Syncrho and Xyz) to instead activate one very powerful effect.  In the case of "Nirvash - The Seventh Swell", its Yin Yang effect allows you to banish both kinds of material upon its summon to destroy all cards on the field, save for himself, but all damage your opponent takes for the rest of that turn is halved.  He requires the level 10 Synchro, "EVA Unit 0 - Nirvash", as well as a FIRE or WIND Xyz monster of your choosing.  Most Tao monsters I've made have very strict summoning conditions, and uber-powerful effects to make up for it.  I originally had a problem finding balance in them, but I've toned them down quite a bit since their inception.  So far, I've made 9 Tao monsters, and I would gladly post those later on down the road if any of you have an interest in them.

I've worked tirelessly to make this set balanced, and it has a a win-loss ratio of 17/28 games, battling mostly Lightsworns, Mecha Phantom Beasts, Fire Fist, Nekroz and Ghostricks.  Ghostricks are definitely it's worst match-up, as cards like Ghostrick-Go-Round and Ghostrick Witch flip all of the monsters face-down, making the pilots go "Time for tubby bye-bye!"  Despite this, certain cards in the archetype provide protection from certain cards in order to - well - not get screwed over.  Anyway, seeing as this set has new types of cards in it, I was curious as to where I should go about posting it.  I assume "Experimental" would be the best place to do so.  I'd really love to get some feedback outside of my friends on this, and any criticism in the way of making them balanced and powerful would be very much appreciated!  Business awaits! :)

business.jpg

Aloha Bee-Rock.

E komo mai YCM.

I would probably advise posting in that planning thread in Casual, so you can get some suggestions on how to develop it further and stuff. 

But that being said; just make sure you post the thread in the proper area.

As you've noticed, there are two areas in Custom Cards; Advanced and Casual.

Judging by your post, seems you'd be fine in Advanced, but we'll have to see.

Anyway, if you need help around; PM me or one of the other mods.

Custom Cards business can be directly messaged to me; I'd say do Nai or Zextra, but both are busy.

Have fun and enjoy your stay.

(Icy, could you translate this into Hawaiian if you're able to?)

Archived