Undead General

TJDouglas13

[URL=http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/TJDouglas13/media/undead%20general_zpscybkmql2.jpg.html]undead%20general_zpscybkmql2.jpg[/URL]

Lore:

Once per turn: You can target 1 face-up monster on the field; it gains the following effect: When this card is destroyed by battle, your Opponent can Special Summon 1 level 5 or lower monster from their deck.

As concerning as a "toss any Level 5- monster you want from your Deck per kill" may seem to be (it is really concerning, and does need to be evened out somehow), it's not nearly as bad as you people are making it out to be. It needs to be Tribute Summoned, which really does make it quite a bit harder for it to hit the field. So, like Majesty's Fiend, Vanity's Fiend, and Caius, it needs a powerful effect to compensate. But, unlike them, this is searchable by GobZom and SSable by Pyramid Head Turtle, though Zombies are probably going to want to search everything but this and Turtle is such a liability that it can SS a [url=http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Endless_Decay]monster with 4k ATK[/url] and still be ok. There's also Mezuki, which actually is concerning. Next, it goes off in the Battle Phase, and as such, any plays you're going to make with the monsters you Summon will have to wait for the MP2 in order to even use them. Since you're limited to only 5 monster zones, you're only going to Summon a maximum of two monsters with this without outside help that somehow clears your field for you. I would rather play Noden than this. :/

Despite that, I also think that there needs to be some fixes for this. First of all, it can Summon any Level 5 or lower monster in the entire game (barring the ones that can't be SSed by this, obvs). According to DN, there's 134 pages of Level 5 or lower Effect monsters that go into the Main Deck, and there's 20 results per page. (There's 31 pages of Normals, but right now they don't matter). 133 pages x 20 results/page = 2660 targets for this card, add the cards from the 134th page, subtract the monsters that can't be SSed by this, and also subtract any monsters that come up twice because of multiple artworks. It would take days going over everything just to make sure that everything is ok and that this is balanced, and chances are there are going to be some ridiculously powerful power plays with this that should not happen. Instead of taking all of that time to figure out what and eliminate those problems, just limit what this can Summon even further. At worst, only Normals (can still Summon Ally Mind for Star Eater, for ultimate casualness) or restricted to an archetype. At best, you can give it one of the less-supported Types to work with. But you're going to have to go over the eight-hundred-six-thousand-nine-hundred-forty-two possible combos that this card can create, and judge for yourself if they are all alright or not. If you don't want to put forth that much effort, then just make an archetype that this card works with. Depending on how easily this archetype can Tribute Summon this, you may want to put an OPT on this, though I think that the effect should only be granted until the end of the turn at the very least. If it isn't an opened can of worms now, it's a can of worms waiting to be opened.

Yeah, this card is insane.  This+ojama trio=This, delteros, 3 draws, and 4000 damage.  OR, if your opponent has a monster with less than 2300 ATK/DEF, Delteros, Beelze, 2800 damage and 3 draws.  How?  This gives its ability to all of the tokens plus the additional monster, runs over the monster, summon sacred crane, draw, run over token, deal 800 from token, repeat until last monster, which is plauge, swing for 400 with plague, overlay into delteros and synchro into Beelze.  And then you can pop with delteros and overlay into constellarknight diamond if you want.  A OPT clause/other limiting factor sorely needed.

You guys forget that cards like Stormforth are a thing among others. And remember, Sangan and Black Witch are banned and have about an equally-sized pool, and Noden has already shown that he's the most broke card in the game.

I would make the search much more specific and have it be a named OPT effect.

Yeah, this card is insane.  This+ojama trio=This, delteros, 3 draws, and 4000 damage.  OR, if your opponent has a monster with less than 2300 ATK/DEF, Delteros, Beelze, 2800 damage and 3 draws.  How?  This gives its ability to all of the tokens plus the additional monster, runs over the monster, summon sacred crane, draw, run over token, deal 800 from token, repeat until last monster, which is plauge, swing for 400 with plague, overlay into delteros and synchro into Beelze.  And then you can pop with delteros and overlay into constellarknight diamond if you want.  A OPT clause/other limiting factor sorely needed.

Remember: You can only SS two monsters from this without outside help, just because of the capacity of the Monster Zone in the first place. If you have three monsters, you only have two empty spaces. If you have two monsters, you can only make two attacks unless one is Bujintei Susan/Ultimate Tyranno.

EDIT: Wait, the monster Summoned can attack. Hmm, Defense Position works wonders. Still, the three draws is more Sacred Crane's fault, and is already accomplished with the lulzy Star Seraph play. Also, it's 300 per Token.

You guys forget that cards like Stormforth are a thing among others. And remember, Sangan and Black Witch are banned and have about an equally-sized pool, and Noden has already shown that he's the most broke card in the game.

I would make the search much more specific and have it be a named OPT effect.

But Stormforth removes your ED from you for the turn, and this card is not going to do very much if it can't access the ED with what it Summons. :/

While you have more than enough criticism of the design of this, I'm going to jump in and offer my two cents. While I think I might be one of the only card designers who cares a large amount about this here - What's the flavour of this card? I feel this is really important for making cards that feel interesting. Despite it's name and type, there's nothing very "Undead" about it in game. In fact, it rallies allies from your deck when you destroy Monsters, isn't that more of a Warrior type of effect?

Where is the implications in gameplay that this thing is actually an Undead General, like the name implies? I mean, you're already dealing with somewhat of a "vanilla" effect, there are plenty of cards that summon from the deck, and I think you should be making it different. When I think of "Undead General" in the context of Yugioh, I assume a monster that would be raising hordes of the dead under it's command, much like Zombie Master. Not a monster that summons something when you destroy a monster. Or at the very least, in it's current state. If it summoned a token that was a copy of that Monster, except it became a Zombie, it would immediately become a flavour home run for me. It kills it's enemies then animates their corpses under it's command, like what I expect an Undead General to do.

For the card itself, it has far too little restrictions, but I feel that many people have already said that.

Um, your Opponent can't just say "no", your forgetting the thing is not if your Opponent can counter a card but the fact of how balanced it is.

If you think this is not OP, then you probably think Noden is just fine.

... no way in the depths of God Wars am I going to use that posting template more than once per thread.

Cards like Monarchs Stormforth rely on the opponent as it is. This card would allow them to predict whats coming and reward them for logical deduction rather than playing well. 

Outer God Noden is nothing like this card. It's "can" relies on you, not the other player. By removing the "can" from this card it forces your opponent to interact with it and play much more sloppily or do as you said, reward you for it. 

Also I think this card should only let you target your opponents monsters. OPT clause be damned. If my misread wasnt evident enough. The normal is just absurd.

If you think this is not OP, then you probably think Noden is just fine.

Uh, didn't I mention that Noden goes off in your MP1, and thus your plays with it happens before you get to go into the Battle Phase for tons of damage. Also, Noden's Level is more useful than this card's Level (you don't need Tuners for the card to make a ED play), Noden is tons easier to use. It's a lot better than this. Noden "costs" Instant Fusion, while this costs some Tribute (and as I mentioned, Stormforth neuters the card's combo ability) and needs to kill something. Noden is not fine, this is a lot closer to fine. It's just really uneven.

Sure, ED plays in the MP2 can be good as well. This card's problem isn't exactly that it can SS crazy stuff, it's that it has a billion targets and it would take forever for us to figure out if all of the plays are safe. Also, going off multiple times a turn is concerning. But you can't use that monster to bust the opponent's field open and then attack, and thus it's more suited for Moonlight Rose Dragon than Black Rose Dragon.

Yea, this is basically "use effect, run over the monster, special another one [which would be in damage step so only Counter Traps can negate it, just like Mystic Tomato and the others] and then attack directly with your new monster." Add in that there are tons of ways to keep your Opponent from killing that monster or even affecting it, like Lance. The effect is far too strong and is better then Noden as Noden can't just Special a monster in the Battle Phase, which can attack, and how many decks would be happy to Special one of their monsters like a searcher, get the effect and still attack?

Other cards like this are VERY limited, Dian is only LV4 or lower HERO's and he has to make the card touch the Grave and only he can destroy it, same with the Blackwing one and the Blackwing can only grab them in DEF and it has to be 1500 or less ATK.

Yea, this is basically "use effect, run over the monster, special another one [which would be in damage step so only Counter Traps can negate it, just like Mystic Tomato and the others] and then attack directly with your new monster." Add in that there are tons of ways to keep your Opponent from killing that monster or even affecting it, like Lance. The effect is far too strong and is better then Noden as Noden can't just Special a monster in the Battle Phase, which can attack, and how many decks would be happy to Special one of their monsters like a searcher, get the effect and still attack?

Other cards like this are VERY limited, Dian is only LV4 or lower HERO's and he has to make the card touch the Grave and only he can destroy it, same with the Blackwing one and the Blackwing can only grab them in DEF and it has to be 1500 or less ATK.

No, just no. This isn't near the power of Noden. Not at all. Noden enables several OTKs, FTKs, and has raised Decks a whole Tier by running 3 Instant Fusion, none of which apply here. To even think you would compare this card to Noden disappoints me in you let alone possibly this site, because whilst this card can acquire quite the advantage, there is no 1 Card Method to get it out and maximize its effect off of, there is no direct OTK with it, just a ton of advantage, which unlike the FTKs Noden generates are much easier to stop. No, this does not justify such, but to put it on such a level is something that strongly disappoints. A Hard OPT and a proper OCG fix will save this card a ton, and maybe some other restriction, but The Monarchs Storm Forth closing your Extra Deck and Soul Exchange costing your Battle Phase hurt the potential for this card a lot. Pyramid Turtle wouldn't synergize that well with this card, so that's gone. So everything that made Noden even EASIER to abuse is thrown out with this card. I could go on more, but it's rather late, and I think I gave my two cents on this.

Have you seen how broke it can get when you can just spam new monsters in your Battle Phase? Noden's got some good qualities, but spamming in the Battle Phase is really bad, as is, this is a spam in the Battle Phase, or as it's written you can stack the effect on a single monster, just put it up to 4 times, destroy that monster and SS 4 monsters and blast your Opponent with them + gain more advantage then Necroz. (I might be wrong on the stacking, but I know other effects like that can stack if worded wrong.)

As I've said before, it needs to be OPT, and limit the monster summoned, like make it be in DEF or Attribute specific.

Have you seen how broke it can get when you can just spam new monsters in your Battle Phase? Noden's got some good qualities, but spamming in the Battle Phase is really bad, as is, this is a spam in the Battle Phase, or as it's written you can stack the effect on a single monster, just put it up to 4 times, destroy that monster and SS 4 monsters and blast your Opponent with them + gain more advantage then Necroz. (I might be wrong on the stacking, but I know other effects like that can stack if worded wrong.)

As I've said before, it needs to be OPT, and limit the monster summoned, like make it be in DEF or Attribute specific.

Because it is gaining an effect, a specified one in that, you cannot stack it. Outside of token interactions (Which would be part of said OCG fix I mentioned earlier), it relies on your opponent, whereas Noden depends on you having a single monster in the Graveyard. Yes, we all get how crazy Battle Phase SSing is, I play Hero ffs so I would defo be aware, but it's no Noden.

Archived