Control Archetype - "Mosaic" [Written]

NobodySovereign

MAIN DECK MONSTER CARDS

"Mosiac Mouse"

Level 1/LIGHT/Beast/Effect/Tuner/500 ATK/0 DEF

When this card is Normal Summoned: you can Normal Summon (but not Tribute Summon) another "Mosaic" monster from your hand, except "Mosaic Mouse". Cannot be used as a Synchro Material, except for the Synchro Summon of a "Mosaic" monster.

"Mosaic Turtle"

Level 2/LIGHT/Reptile/Effect/750 ATK/0 DEF

When this card is Normal Summoned: you can Normal Summon (but not Tribute Summon) another "Mosaic" monster from your hand, except "Mosaic Turtle".

"Mosaic Construct"

Level 2/LIGHT/Rock/Effect/Tuner/800 ATK/0 DEF

When this card is Normal Summoned: you can Normal Summon (but not Tribute Summon) another "Mosaic" monster from your hand, except "Mosaic Construct". Cannot be used as a Synchro Material, except for the Synchro Summon of a "Mosaic" monster.

"Mosaic Flower"

Level 2/LIGHT/Plant/Effect/600 ATK/0 DEF

When this card is Normal Summoned: you can Normal Summon (but not Tribute Summon) another "Mosaic" monster from your hand, except "Mosaic Flower".

"Mosaic Apprentice"

Level 3/LIGHT/Spellcaster/Effect/1200 ATK/0 DEF

When this card is Normal Summoned: you can Normal Summon another "Mosaic" monster from your hand, except "Mosaic Apprentice".

"Mosaic Faerie"

Level 3/LIGHT/Fairy/Effect/1100 ATK/0 DEF

When this card is Normal Summoned: you can Normal Summon another "Mosaic" monster from your hand, except "Mosaic Faerie".

"Mosaic Snake"

Level 3/LIGHT/Reptile/Effect/1300 ATK/0 DEF

When this card is Normal Summoned: you can Normal Summon another "Mosaic" monster from your hand, except "Mosaic Snake".

"Mosaic Dream Butterfly"

Level 4/LIGHT/Insect/Effect/1500 ATK/0 DEF

Once per turn: you can switch this face-up Attack Position monster to face-up Defense Position, then target 1 monster with an ATK lower than the ATK of this card and destroy it.

"Mosaic Crystal Butterfly"

Level 4/LIGHT/Insect/Effect/1500 ATK/0 DEF

Once per turn: you can switch this face-up Attack Position monster to face-up Defense Position, then target 1 monster with an DEF lower than the ATK of this card and destroy it.

"Mosaic Ethereal Butterfly"

Level 5/LIGHT/Insect/Effect/1800 ATK/0 DEF

Once per turn: you can switch this face-up Attack Position monster to face-up Defense Position, then target 1 monster with a ATK lower than the ATK of this card; destroy it, and if you do, increase this card's ATK by 100.

"Mosaic Sparrowhawk"

Level 6/LIGHT/Winged Beast/Effect/2100 ATK/0 DEF

Once per turn: you can switch this face-up Attack Position monster to face-up Defense Position, then target 1 monster with a ATK lower than the ATK of this card; destroy it, and if you do, gain Life Points equal to the destroyed monster's Level x 100.

"Mosaic Elegance Witch"

Level 7/LIGHT/Spellcaster/Effect/2300 ATK/0 DEF

Once per turn, while this card is on the field in face-up Attack Position: you can target 1 Set card and return it to the hand. When your opponent Sets a card: you can reveal 1 "Mosaic" card in your hand, and if you do, reveal that Set card.

"Mosaic Inspiration Beast"

Level 7/LIGHT/Beast/Effect/2300 ATK/0 DEF

Once per turn, while this card is on the field in face-up Attack Position: you can Tribute 1 face-up monster you control and target 1 Set card your opponent controls; destroy that card, and if you do, banish it. When your opponent Sets a card: you can reveal 1 "Mosaic" monster from your hand; reveal that Set card.

"Mosaic Revelation Dragon"

Level 8/LIGHT/Dragon/Effect/2700 ATK/0 DEF

When a "Mosaic"monster is targeted by a Card Effect while this card is on the field in face-up Attack Position: banish 1 "Mosaic" monster from your Graveyard; negate the activation of that card, and if you do, destroy it. Once per turn: you can reveal 1 Set card on your opponent's side of the field.

EXTRA DECK MONSTERS

"Crystalglass Mosaic Sorceress"

Level 8/LIGHT/Spellcaster/Synchro/Effect/2500 ATK/0 DEF

1 "Mosaic" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner LIGHT monsters

Once per turn, during either player's turn: you can discard 1 "Mosaic" card from your hand and target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; change that target to face-down Defense Position. While this card is in face-up Attack Position: negate all Flip Effects.

For all your Shaddoll problems <3~

"Crystalglass Mosaic Wyrm"

Level 10/LIGHT/Wyrm/Synchro/Effect/3000 ATK/0 DEF

1 "Mosaic" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner LIGHT monsters

Once per turn, during either player's turn: you can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; change that target to face-down Defense Position. When this card is Synchro Summoned: destroy 1 Set Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls (it cannot be activated in response to this effect).

On-Summon means even if they Bottomless, it still goes off. They have to negate it to avoid it.

"Shadowglass Mosaic Golem"

Rank 2/DARK/Rock/Xyz/Effect/2000 ATK/0 DEF

2 Level 2 "Mosaic" monsters

While this card has an Xyz Material: this card cannot be destroyed by card effects. Once per turn, during either player's turn: you can detach 1 Xyz Material, then target 1 Set card your opponent controls; destroy it.

"Shadowglass Mosaic Sauropod"

Rank 3/DARK/Dinosaur/Xyz/Effect/2000 ATK/0 DEF

2 Level 3 "Mosaic" monsters

While this card has an Xyz Material: this card cannot be destroyed by battle. Once per turn, during either player's turn: you can detach 1 Xyz Material, then target 1 Set Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls; banish it.

"Shadowglass Mosaic Moth"

Rank 4/DARK/Insect/Xyz/Effect/2400 ATK/0 DEF

2 or more (max. 5) Level 4 "Mosaic" monsters
While this card has Xyz Materials: this card cannot be destroyed by battle. While this card is in face-up Attack Position: for each Xyz Material attached to this card, your opponent's monsters lose 200 ATK. During the End Phase of a turn where this card attacked or was attacked, detach 1 Xyz Material from this card.

At max a -1000 ATK to all monsters your opponent controls for the first turn you've got it. Sets up nice combos with Mosaic Dream Butterfly and Mosaic Ethereal Butterfly.

"Shadowglass Mosaic Chimaera"

Rank 7/DARK/Beast/Xyz/Effect/3000 ATK/0 DEF

2 Level 7 "Mosaic" monsters

When this card is Xyz Summoned: your opponent cannot Set cards until the end of their second turn after this card was Xyz Summoned. Once per turn, during your Main Phase: you can detach 1 Xyz Material, and if you do, destroy all Set cards on the field.

Like an Azure against Set Cards. Other cards do worse, so this one seems balanced.

SPELL/TRAP CARDS

"Mosaic Force"

Normal Trap Card

When an opponent's monster declares an attack while you control a face-up "Mosaic" monster: Destroy all face-up Attack Position monsters your opponent controls, and if you do, switch all monsters you control to Attack Position.

"Mosaic Energy Burst"

Normal Spell Card

If you control a face-up Attack Position "Mosaic Revelation Dragon": Destroy all Set cards your opponent controls. "Mosaic Revelation Dragons" cannot attack the turn you activate this card.

"Cathedral the Mosaic Sanctum"

Field Spell Card

When this card is activated: reveal any number of "Mosaic" monsters in your Hand, then target the same number of Set cards your opponent controls; reveal them, and then shuffle 1 back into your opponent's Deck. All "Mosaic" monsters gain 300 ATK. During your Standby Phase: switch all face-up "Mosaic" monsters to Attack Position.

"Mosaic Kaleidoscope"

Equip Spell Card

Equip only to a "Mosaic" monster you control. The monster equipped with this card cannot be destroyed by battle while in Defense Position.

"Rainbow Glass Shards"

Normal Spell Card

Inflict damage to your opponent equal to the number of "Mosaic" monsters with different names in your Graveyard x 300.

"Rainbow Light - Inspiration of the Mosaic"

Normal Spell Card

If you control no monsters and no Set cards: Special Summon 1 "Mosaic" monster from your Hand or Deck, ignoring its summoning conditions.

"Effervescence of the Rainbow Light"

Normal Spell Card

If you control no Set cards: Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Mosaic" monster from your hand or Deck. You can only activate 1 "Effervescence of the Rainbow Light" per turn. You cannot Special Summon monsters during the turn you activate this card, except "Mosaic" monsters.

-------

As you can see, the theme here is the idea of glass: sharp, but fragile. They're meant to help maintain control of the opponent's Set cards. Worried about attacking into a Mirror Force? Just reveal that face-down and see if it's anything to be worried about. The Extra Deck just further helps to control their Set cards.

This set benefits from cards like "Zero Gravity" to get them back into Attack Position, though you'll want to play cards like "Rainbow Light - Inspiration of the Mosaic" and "Effervescence of the Rainbow Light" beforehand since they don't work while you have a Set card.

-------

SAMPLE DECK

Main Deck

Mosaic Mouse x 2

Mosaic Construct x 2

Mosaic Flower x 3

Mosaic Snake x 3

Mosaic Faerie x 1

Mosaic Apprentice x 2

Mosaic Dream Butterfly x 1

Mosaic Crystal Butterfly x 1

Mosaic Ethereal Butterfly x 1

Mosaic Sparrowhawk x 1

Mosaic Elegance Witch x 1

Mosaic Inspiration Beast x 2

Mosaic Revelation Dragon x 1

------

Level Lifter x 3

Mosaic Energy Force x 2

Mosaic Kaleidoscope x 2

Cathedral the Mosaic Sanctum x 2

Rainbow Glass Shards x 2

Rainbow Light - Inspiration of the Mosaic x 2

Effervescence of the Rainbow Light x 2

Monster Reincarnation x 1

-------

Mosaic Force x 3

Compulsory Evacuation Device x 1

Side Deck

Mosaic Manticore x 1

Lightray Diabolos x 2

-------

Mausoleum of the Emperor x 2

-------

Beckoning Light x 2

Extra Deck

Crystalglass Mosaic Sorceress x 2

Crystalglass Mosaic Wyrm x 1

-------

Shadowglass Mosaic Golem x 2

Shadowglass Mosaic Sauropod x 2

Shadowglass Mosaic Moth x 1

Shadowglass Mosaic Chimaera x 2

Main Deck: 41 Extra Deck: 10 (Room for "Staple" Extras) Side Deck: 7

Or just make them Written cards. That's still a thing.

It is stated in the section rules that pictureless cards should just be Written.

Makes it easier to read.

On another note, you need to say what you like/dislike about the member's cards if you comment in this section.

Basically, CC is for getting members to improve (both as cardmaker and reviewers).

So yeah.

An archetype that revolves around thematically glass-like monsters being swarmed? Sounds like my Infinite Mirror archetype. But this is supposed be about your work.

A few random thoughts:

• Mausoleum of the Emperor synergy! There's no OPT clause, since you usually get only one Normal Summon, and all summons through Mausoleum are Normal Summons.
  • You haven't listed material requirements for the Synchro monsters. For all I know, Crystalglass Mosaic Sorceress requires "Junk Synchron + Junk Warrior" as Synchro material. Now, I'll hazard a guess that's not the case, so I'll presume you mean "1 'Mosaic' Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters," or maybe "1 'Mosaic' Tuner + 1 or more 'Mosaic' non-Tuner monsters."
  • Be mindful of the existence of Mosaic Manticore and Mosaic Rare cards.

Anyway...

I think you underestimated how easy it is to swarm your 1-3 monsters, given a monster-heavy hand. Even if you have two X monsters and one Y monster, you can summon them in X-Y-X to get all three out, and you can extrapolate that idea out.

On the opposite side, given that there's no easy 4 swarming mechanic, Moth seems a bit weak. Witch also seems a little weak; revealing the card doesn't get rid of it, so if it is a problem, it's still there, although you have enough Set card removal. In fact, given how relatively easy it is to get something like Golem or Sauropod, I'd almost always want to summon those rather than Tribute for Witch. Then again, Mausoleum synergy means I wouldn't have to choose!

I guess I should actually talk about how useful that Mausoleum synergy would be. There are no high-level summon-chain-enablers, so at best, it lets you end a chain with something other than a Level 4. Also, no easy Chimaera. That said, there are some nifty combos for each of the high-enders.

• Witch + two Level 2/3's for Golem/Sauropod for more efficient removal.
  • Beast + anything for guaranteed fodder for its effect.
  • Dragon + Tuner + other for Synchro for guaranteed fodder (although it requires a rather long summon-chain).

All in all, I'd rather run Mausoleum than Cathedral. (Come to think of it, Double Summon would be amazing with this archetype if it lets you get two summon-chain starters, But it probably doesn't.)

Of course, this is all rather dependent on having a monster-heavy hand/deck, especially since there's no easy search or draw mechanic built into the archetype. On that note, Effervescence feels counter-productive. I want more monsters in my hand for a more efficient summon-chain, not to mention I'd probably draw another monster anyway,

There is a clear theme to the archetype, and I think you executed it well. Good on you.

Thanks for the feedback, MetaSkipper.

- On the difficulty of acquiring lots of Level 4's for Moth: I figured that when building a Mosaic deck which seeks to utilize Moth, they could use a developed field and Level Lifter to toss a Lv4 and make a field full of materials.

- I apologize for any similarity between your Mirror cards and my Mosaics. However, I feel like they're fundamentally different; mine are based around stained glass and deal mostly with controlling the opponent's Set cards, while yours deal with filling the opponent's field and using tokens to control the pace of the Duel.

- Mosaic Manticore would actually be great for setting up Synchro plays. Tribute Summon him with a Construct and he brings it back for Wyrm.

- Chimaera is meant to be hard to get out (kinda), since his effect is kinda rough. If you top-deck Inspiration, two Level 1-3's and a Level 7, you can first turn him. I considered dropping Dragon to a Level 7, but it was meant to be a Mosaic counterpart to Blue-Eyes. And again, Level Lifter can help tremendously.

- I changed some effects, mainly on Cathedral and Effervescence, and also on Moth and Witch. Do those seem a bit better?

Thanks for the feedback, MetaSkipper.

- On the difficulty of acquiring lots of Level 4's for Moth: I figured that when building a Mosaic deck which seeks to utilize Moth, they could use a developed field and Level Lifter to toss a Lv4 and make a field full of materials.

- I apologize for any similarity between your Mirror cards and my Mosaics. However, I feel like they're fundamentally different; mine are based around stained glass and deal mostly with controlling the opponent's Set cards, while yours deal with filling the opponent's field and using tokens to control the pace of the Duel.

- Mosaic Manticore would actually be great for setting up Synchro plays. Tribute Summon him with a Construct and he brings it back for Wyrm.

- Chimaera is meant to be hard to get out (kinda), since his effect is kinda rough. If you top-deck Inspiration, two Level 1-3's and a Level 7, you can first turn him. I considered dropping Dragon to a Level 7, but it was meant to be a Mosaic counterpart to Blue-Eyes. And again, Level Lifter can help tremendously.

- I changed some effects, mainly on Cathedral and Effervescence, and also on Moth and Witch. Do those seem a bit better?

Ahh, no worries about the similarities. I knew I should have hammed it up more so that you would see I was being silly!

I do feel the new effects are stronger, appropriately so, except for Witch. With the current wording, the following happens:

• Your opponent sets a card.
  • You discard a card from hand; the set card returns to your opponent's hand.
  • Your opponent sets the card again.
  • Repeats as much as you like, or until your hand is empty.

I don't think destruction is the right effect for Witch, but maybe give a little something alongside revealing the set card. Or maybe, if you want to keep with the send-back-to-hand effect, the card is revealed, sent back to the hand revealed, and then cannot be set until end of turn.

I assume these are all Light-attribute? They don't say.

Anyway, a very interesting archetype that kills trap-heavy decks. I really like the aspect of revealing things to determine threats/bluffs. It also combos really well with anti-spell fragrance to lock down spell dependant decks as well.

I feel they are well-designed control cards though I have to ask... What is their end goal?

Correct, these are all LIGHT Attribute, except for the "Shadowglass" monsters, which are DARK.

I actually had someone look at them and tell me a bunch were overpowered (since a lot of them said effects couldn't be activated in response to their effect). So I've done a bit of work on them.

The end goal of the deck is mainly to get out the bigger monsters, and go for the Extra Deck monsters to shut down Trap-heavy decks and/or cards that rely on playing in face-down Defense Position (like Shaddolls and Ghostricks).

@Meta: "Witch" only reveals on your turn, but I see the point. Perhaps it would be better if I made the effect more like "Bait Doll"?

Archived