Underrated Anime/Manga Thread

Nicο

I say the manga because, while the anime follows it really well, it just stopped after 4 cours and never continued. I just don't remember it was ever really that popular, even when the anime was airing, and I never heard anyone talk about the manga, either.

Wow but that's a lot compared to most anime, how much does it cover? Then again, the manga is decently long as well. 

Manga:

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime

• It's a romance set in a fictional medieval world
  • BUT the romance constantly takes a back seat to every character's own development and plot
  • It's really well written, I'm just saying
  • Also it's getting an anime in the summer season so you should read it to get hype

You've already sold me an at least checking out the anime before this post btw. xD

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The anime covered until the end of the Kokuboro stuff, so right after chapter 121 (out of 345) of the manga.

I see. I figured it'd be something like that.

And there are a good number of Shonen Jump stuff that are pretty obscure as well. On here or on the internet overall. I understand wanting to restrict WSJ titles but personally I feel it's better not to make a hard 'n fast rule about it. I mean, how many people here or otherwise have ever read Medaka Box to the finish, or Psyren, or I''s?
True enough. Personally I've seen enough people on YCM to restrict Medaka Box on here at least, but I've heard some decent things about those others, and that definitely wasn't from here. That rule can be taken down, the other rules pretty much replace it, and it can be thought of on a case by case basis.

[spoiler=anime]

Binbou Shimai Monogatari (from Nico-chan) - Comedy, Drama, Slice of Life

• Every series I've seen that was 10 episodes ends up being disappointing in some way, shape or form, but this is a completely different story
  • If you want the feels, come get them
  • To a point, I and plenty others must know what it's like to deal with the struggles of being poor[/spoiler]

Forgot to mentoin how my description of Boku Girl fits YCM sometimes and that's why as long as it's as funny as it is it's definitely awesome.

[spoiler=Manga]I Am Here!/Koko ni Iru yo! (From Nico-chan) - Romance, Slice of Life

• Criminally under-looked bullying manga (not as cruel as some, but doesn't mean bullying isn't wrong, iirc Toyama-sensei didn't exactly want to make one but it still turned out well executed)
  • Another thing that actually really reminded me about YCM. It can actually be anywhere on the Internet, not exclusively forums, not exclusively blogs, but people you don't even know can still really help you get through life, and that's something I've seen countless times here

Seitokai Yakuindomo (from Nico-Chan) - Comedy

• Hilariously pervy jokes
  • Those jokes are retorted by well done straight man happenings (one of the only two being the ONLY guy is something I thought makes it even funnier) 
  • Probably a better read than watch, it's far easier to jump in at any time and only read a very small chunk if desired or needed
  • Fortunately, this isn't a wordy 4-koma, so for dumb people like me that either can't read very fast or get distracted by other things on the Internet it should be extremely easy to read during commercials or on the go[/spoiler]

FLAMWENCO HELL YEAH. seconding this

you forgot to add

• guillotine gorilla

Although no one replied to my status, I know it probably doesn't even reach relative awareness, so I suppose a seconder is all I need. I suppose I can change the animation into something along the lines of "If it suits your tastes, the fact that it has mediocre animation shouldn't bother you too much." I mean, I'm not just going to ignore it, since it was mentioned even by someone who likes this.

oddamn, manglobe was really broke back then. wild ass ride samflam was. the PLACEHOLDER OP2 had more animation than the actual one. not that it wasnt awesome

What, from making Hayate? I CAN TOTALLY SEE THAT. There was another one I liked that had of been underperforming too... it's okay Kyousuke, your too awesome for people. Ah but I really don't have any idea about these things, least of all sales for things from back then.

[spoiler=Anime]Birdy the Mighty: Decode (from Shradow) - Action, Comedy, Science Fiction

• An interplanetary federation agent accidentally kills a human boy while in pursuit of a criminal, and they must share a body until the boy's can be repaired.
  • Really sweet action scenes coupled with sitcom-esque shenanigans that arise from their shared body, which also brings about a nice relationship between the two main characters
  • Interesting story filled with unique villains and lots of sci-fi mumbo jumbo
  • Two seasons, each a single cour

There was an original manga that never finished and an OVA adaption of it, but I don't know anything about that. I'm specifically talking about Decode, which is the adaption of the remake manga (still the same mangaka). 

Interestingly enough, and I only just found this out, apparently this show was an inspiration for Zack Snyder in directing Man of Steel. So that's cool.[/spoiler]

Since it's getting this long already, probably could do with splitting things up into further spoilers, but I might need some help deciding how to go about that so it's most accurate and not a whole bunch of spoilers with only 1 thing in them.

How about splitting by overall genre?

How so? I mean, if I were to take only single genres for each split, it might be too much splitting, but much more importantly, I may need people to step back in and tell me what is the overall genre for any given title. I was wondering if the way I was started to do it would be a bad idea, since well, it gives two of the more important genres if it's felt it might be best, so anyone coming in can choose whether they would say prefer a more comedic/lighthearted action or a more adventurous (as far as I'm aware, none of those have been all fun and games at all, so far) or whatever. But if it is a bad idea then yeah, I can't think of a better, or really much else at all idea than that one.

Separate it by the year it came out or somethin'

I really think genres would be of better help if anyone looks in here, so it's probably between single overall or 1-2 of what seems to be the more important ones. But I'll keep that in mind.

Oh right, I suppose I should pop in this series again.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (from Aix) - Sci-Fi

• Grand epic scale conflicts over the fate of the galaxy
  • 110 well-written episodes showing the course of mankind
  • Ingenious battle tactics with thousands of spacecraft and millions of soldiers in every battle

Oh right, I suppose I should pop in this series again.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (from Aix) - Sci-Fi

• Grand epic scale conflicts over the fate of the galaxy
  • 110 well-written episodes showing the course of mankind
  • Ingenious battle tactics with thousands of spacecraft and millions of soldiers in every battle

goddamnit Aix I was literally about to post that

I feel that Welcome to the NHK is underrated by a majority of viewers.

I feel like it is underrated but not by viewers (anyone that has seen it just seems to give it the universal praise I do believe it deserves, at least from what I've seen, but what I've seen could be a vocal minority), just a lot of people haven't seen it yet and therefore can't tell how awesome it is. By the way, I'm one of those buttheads. 

:526090_key:

Oh and I do remember reading a bit of a review too I think so it's not that I was just told I should I was deciding for myself, I just need to get around to it. DX

NHK isn't as well known as it could be, however it is anything but underrated. It receives almost constant praise from anyone who has actually seen it to the finish, and it's also constantly being recommended, making it not as obscure as before. It's not the majority, but more like a sizable minority. Which reminds me.

[spoiler=manga]

Onani Master Kurosawa - Slice of Life, Middle School Drama, Fap Note

• Mature, for a story about middle schoolers. Doesn't hesitate away from masturbation or the social consequences of.
  • Amazing main character whose growth you get to experience as you read.
  • The shitty art quickly becomes a big charm point for the story. Adds a robust feel to it.
  • ITS LIKE DEATH NOTE BUT WITH FAPPING

Molester Man - Slice of Life, Drama, even shittier art

• By the same artist as the above. The story this time, however, is an adaption of a series of 2chan posts.
  • Short but lengthy read. Lots of text, many are email conversations between characters or what Molester posts on 2chan.
  • Brighter story than OMK but shares the same overall feel by the end. Just needs to be read.
  • The many references will kill you.
  • The bonus votes chapter will too.

[/spoiler]

Both are somewhat similar to NHK although my love lies with these two mangas more.

Would Birdy the Mighty: Decode be better described as an action-comedy or Sci-Fi? I mean, I'd like to do both, but I can only combine so much when attempting to split things up. It'll still show all 3 genres wherever it ends up.

Archived