Underrated Anime/Manga Thread

Nicο

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manga Suggestion:

Iron Knight
A disease turning people into monstrous beings called Goblins are ravaging and killing off humanity, but one boy stands against them. However, he's not quite entirely human either...
This manga is post-apocalyptic/shounen, and has lots of action and death and can be quite mature at some points, however, the art is great in my opinion and it's quite a good read.

Uchuu Kyoudai - Seinen, Drama

• Focusing on the dreams of two brothers in becoming an astronaut, and the hurdles they faced to get to that point.
  • The conflict and everything is portrayed realistically.
  • Great main characters, and the story takes a great length to characterize them and their growth.
  • Honestly pretty damn inspirational in a non-preachy or pretentious way.
  • Apo is so goddamn cute.

More info on Gokudo

Gokudo

If you love watching jerks getting stuff, but not as expected, there's one pro for you!

26 Episodes!

*i have never watched it, :l*

Gokudo gets turned into a girl, because TV Tokyo.

Gokudo fights evil with a sword that can deal menacing damage.

Gokudo meets Prince Niari, who, ironically, is a better womanizer.

They're not alone too! Rubette La Lette is there to help too!

At the start, Gokudo steals a stone, a genie named Djinn popped out!

Djinn started to talk, and Gokudo (Yuccot Kikansky) started to get annoyed.

And, at last, there came The Bok Choy Sisters!

I crammed as much as there could be :l

Uchuu Kyoudai - Seinen, Drama

• Focusing on the dreams of two brothers in becoming an astronaut, and the hurdles they faced to get to that point.
  • The conflict and everything is portrayed realistically.
  • Great main characters, and the story takes a great length to characterize them and their growth.
  • Honestly pretty damn inspirational in a non-preachy or pretentious way.
  • Apo is so goddamn cute.

Are you recommending the manga or the anime?

More info on Gokudo

You suck at sales pitches :|

Anime Recommendation:

Gankutsuou - Drama, Thriller, Psychological, Mystery, Sci-fi

• Unique visual style that seems trippy at first but gives a rather unique and wonderful feel
  • Engaging, suspenseful and overall well-written story
  • Great characters and development.

Anime Recommendation:

• Unique visual style that seems trippy at first but gives a rather unique and wonderful feel

That reminds me, I think I'll put the English name in the OP. I have no idea how close it is to the source, but even if it isn't at all, it does show what it was based on (and is just a subtitle, not a change in name). 

Are you recommending the manga or the anime?

You suck at sales pitches :|

Anime Recommendation:

The anime.

More info on Gokudo

This sounds so cheesy

Oh, I started reading a very underrated manga.

Bokura no Kiseki (from Aix) - School Life, Mystery, Drama, Fantasy

• Interesting premise of people reincarnated to our world from a fantasy one
  • Well-developed ideas involving past lives and obligations
  • Good characters who develop as they question their own identities.
  • Plots and conspiracies galore.

It kinda is, I'm not meaning to sound like a advertiser

Yeah, I see. Still, I thank you for bringing the thing up, since I did take mild interest in it sometime before and would have never remembered what it was if not for this thread existing. 

Y'all need to read this manga ASAP.

20th Century Boys

• Same author as Monster
  • Incredibly well-crafted story and cast of characters
  • Lots of mystery woven through the narrative that lasts up until the very end
  • Has larger than life moments and some sci-fi
  • Stuff goes nuts

I do need to read more manga...and Monster is my favorite anime series of all time. I'll check it out. I've heard good things about it. I don't know if Gantz is considered underrated; I really liked it. It was super disturbing though. A few things really weren't right in that series, but it was defintely worth buying.

• 1 month later...

[spoiler=Anime]

Etotama - Action, Comedy, Fantasy

• Wildly comedic take on Zodiac animals
  • 4th wall breaking left and right
  • Well animated and interesting battles, especially for their fighting mode being the chibi

anyone else here seen Kaiba? its a sci-fi story set in a world where people can switch their own bodies, its got really good animation and lots of unique and very surreal visuals. if you want an anime show thats really out there with its style and ideas then this one is great.

ive seen a bit out of Zambot 3 and its a decent mecha show with a very dark setting, the worst parts about it are the very bad and dated animation as well as the main character who can be pretty annoying at first, though other than that its an okay show. also it gave Gurren Lagann a lot of influence

Jewelpet is also worth mentioning, very fun and cutesy with colorful characters, the best Jewelpet series is Sunshine in my opinion, loads of great humor in there, a pretty fun show based upon Sanrio toys so dont expect anything groundbreaking here, just cute cartoon animals with their human counterparts

Night on the Galactic Railroad is incredible for those who like slow moving films with beautiful and surreal visuals, it might be a bit difficult for some people to understand the ending though, but its still definitely 100% worth watching

im not too sure how well known it is but i never really see too many people talk about Aku No Hana which is a shame because its really damn amazing, a very deep and psychological romance with some really unique animation (which personally i find adds more to the atmosphere of the show), i think its more on the lines of a show thats got a vocal minority since there are people who have watched it and love it to high hell, but i personally still think its worth the mention here.

Tamala 2010 is another anime movie that i feel is really underrated, the reactions on it are very mixed so dont go into this movie unless you want an extremely high dosage of experimental and postmodern visuals. some complain that the plotline is too uncohesive but if youre able to dig deeper and pay attention to certain tidbits then there is a followable narrative there, its just not so easy to notice it.

Cat Soup is one that id like to mention too, its considered to be a hidden gem for a really good reason, very surreal and symbolic with little to no dialogue though its only a short film so you dont need to worry about losing your patience too much

Ringing Bell is another amazing anime movie that id like to mention. its a childrens film featuring a lamb as the main character but its a very philosophical film that teaches children a lesson that they may not fully understand until theyre older. its done by Sanrio and its undoubtedly the darkes and most mature out of all their works and is possibly my favorite thing theyve done.

ill add more later when i think of them considering how im kind of a bit of a hipster when it comes down to anime

[spoiler=Anime]

Gungrave - Action, Crime, Sci-fi, Drama

• Main character is a super hitman brought back from the dead in an attempt to take down a corrupt crime syndicate, the series also following parts of his past of being in said syndicate
  • Adapted from a third-person shooter video game of the same name
  • Excellent action scenes
  • Focuses heavily on the characters, their pasts, and their emotions, making for a really compelling cast and a deep, sometimes heart wrenching, plot
  • Produced by Madhouse

Kiba - Action, Fantasy, Drama

• Main character is summoned to a war-torn fantasy world of spirits and casters, as he tries to attain power and find meaning in himself
  • A TCG-tie-in anime that acts nothing like one, featuring many dark elements and heavy drama not meant to curry favor to children
  • Great animation, story, and action scenes
  • Produced by Madhouse

MÄR - Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Comedy

• Main character is summoned to a fairy tale world straight out of his own fantasies where he fights (with the help of magic accessories/weapons known as ÄRM) against an evil organization trying to bring war upon the land
  • A fun series with a great group of heroes and villains and awesome action scenes (most of the fights are held in tournament-style 1v1 matches with appropriate shonen training and powering up in between)
  • Produced by SynergySP

I honestly prefer MAR's manga over the anime, tbh. Though iirc the anime was pretty good, yet got undeservedly bashed overseas back then.

Speaking of...

Flames of Recca (Manga) - Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Comedy

• Main character is a high-schooler roped in to a shonen-styled team tournament with some of his friends, utilizing artifacts called Madogu to fight. While at first it was pretty much a YuYu Hakusho follower, it develops its own identity after the first tournament arc, however.
  • Great battle scenes and quite the fast pacing for things, coupled with interesting characters in both sides of the fence makes up for its less than good start (the art also improves a lot from where it started).
  • Can get pretty gory at times, among other things. Also, this is made by the same person that made MAR (this has MAR's humor but is considerably darker than it).
  • Anime is meh.

This should count, no?

Gungrave - Action, Crime, Sci-fi

• Main character is a super hitman brought back from the dead in an attempt to take down a corrupt crime syndicate, the series also following parts of his past of being in said syndicate
  • Adapted from a third-person shooter video game of the same name
  • Excellent action scenes
  • Focuses heavily on the characters, their pasts, and their emotions, making for a really compelling cast and a deep, sometimes heart wrenching, plot
  • Produced by Madhouse

I have to wonder about anything based on a video game. Those tend to get bashed a lot for being very mediocre, and for most of them it actually seems like it's at least somewhat warranted. But what do I do about something that I've actually heard about a few times, without hearing anything bad about it? That would be the case for this. 

MÄR - Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Comedy

• Main character is summoned to a fairy tale world straight out of his own fantasies where he fights (with the help of magic accessories/weapons known as ÄRM) against an evil organization trying to bring war upon the land
  • A fun series with a great group of heroes and villains and awesome action scenes (most of the fights are held in tournament-style 1v1 matches with appropriate shonen training and powering up in between)
  • Produced by SynergySP

This makes me smile. I need to start watched it subbed. I was thinking once I finish Zettai Karen Children, so I can keep the synergy going, if you know what I mean. 

This should count, no?

I think so. It doesn't have a dub that never finished (not to mention you're straight up calling the anime version meh), but it also doesn't even have a dub, so I still don't think it's as known as even MÄR.

Archived