Underrated Anime/Manga Thread

Nicο

The game and anime for Gungrave are actually quite different. The game is like DMC but without the platforming and puzzles; just focused on action. While the anime has its fair share of it, it sacrifices a lot of the over-the-top action of the game and is more character-focused, being closer to an alternate retelling of the plot. For example, there's tons of character development, and it greatly expands on the characters' backstories. It's not until about halfway through the anime where it actually gets to the events of the game's beginning. Its ending and the events immediately leading up to it are also very different.

I also went ahead and added the Drama tag to it's entry.

EDIT: TIL the same guy who created Trigun and Kekkai Sensen was behind the story and characters for the game. Makes sense.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hajime no Ippo. I dunno, it's only one of the top 3 longest running manga series (beating One Piece, just to give you an idea), it's really good, like... amazing... but I never see anyone talking about it.

Is it because it's a boxing manga? Or a sports one in general?

It's also been split up into a lot of different series for some reason. The first one is Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting!. Second is Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger.  And the last is Hajime no Ippo: Rising.

The only one licensed in North America was called Fighting Spirit.

Hajime no Ippo. I dunno, it's only one of the top 3 longest running manga series (beating One Piece, just to give you an idea), it's really good, like... amazing... but I never see anyone talking about it.

BECAUSE THAT ENDING funking SUCKED

It's probably sports manga in general. I for one wouldn't consider Ippo underrated at all. On a similar note it's impossible to find people discussing Slam Dunk in the modern century but that one is also anything but underrated.

BECAUSE THAT ENDING f***ing SUCKED

It's probably sports manga in general. I for one wouldn't consider Ippo underrated at all. On a similar note it's impossible to find people discussing Slam Dunk in the modern century but that one is also anything but underrated.

Fair enough. 

• 2 months later...

Oyasumi Punpun (Manga) - Psychological, Drama, Slice of Life, Black Comedy

• Extremely realistic and depressing portrayal of life and people. Characters are flawed, complex, immoral, and dealing with far more than they can handle. Each of them has their own unique ideologies and ways of coping with the tribulations of life.
  • Just highly affecting, relatable, thought-provoking, and open to personal interpretation.
  • Highly detailed and realistic-looking art (starts off with everyone with weird, ugly faces, but becomes normal when he grows older)

Considering how it's rated 4th on Top Manga on MAL (including light novels and everything), can't exactly say it's underrated, but I honestly have never heard of anyone ever talk about it.

• 2 months later...

Naruto is the major underratted anime.

There was something about Jump that made me think of considering all of their titles to be too popular to be underrated, but that's obviously not the case, because there are some major flops that had quite the potential. That said, Naruto is not one of those. It's a Jump title, and one of the most popular on top of that, making it actually one of the most widely known anime out there. It is anything but unnderrated, and that goes for pretty much everywhere in the world.

Serious post: Oh shut up you stupid troll!! and/or nice try, jester. 

New manga:

Mistress Fortune - Magic, Romance, Supernatural
  • Shoujo with a twist- A leecherous hero and a busty heroine
  • Short, 3 chapter manga with comedic bonuses
  • Relaxed and fun- author just went with some things when she normally thinks about things before starting the manga
  • Gender balanced ESP based Magical "Girl" team

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Anime:

Rainbow Days/Nijiiro Days - Comedy,  Romance, Shoujo, Slice of Life

• Shoujo centered around a group of male friends
  • It may be a little too convenient that there's basically just enough for every character to be paired, but there is a bit of a twist on that,
  • and it does have that somewhat uncommon gender balance going on

Archived