Dragon Ball Super

Yeah, it's an alright start. I think they're just establishing the current status quo and the new norm for all the characters before the plot comes in and screws it all to hell.

The one thing I'm curious about is if they're gonna jump ahead 5 years some point soon. Because that's when Goku gets SSGod, finds out about the different Universes, and of course meets Beerus, which all looks to be what the plot will entail. That'd be annoying if they just jumped into it at this point in time and made a giant plothole.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what Thar, you don't generally watch subs?

If there's an option to watch something dubbed, I usually take it. In which case, DBZ is one of them.

Though I'd say I've watched more subs than dubs, since a lot of shows I watched don't have the latter.

Oh yeah Goku's Japanese voice is, quiet honestly, kind of grating on the ears.

Also, this:

fandumb__52__dragon_ball_super_duper_by_

See, I was waiting on the subs to be legally available, but remembering how bad the Japanese voice is makes me consider waiting for the dub.

Not only that, but King Kai's japanese voice just doesn't fit with his mouth movements. Like, at all.

Was this common for anime way back in the day?

The new manga chapter is out

http://readms.com/r/dragon_ball_super/002/2864/1

And for those feeling confused, it actually turns out that Super is going to retell Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F into new story arcs for the show, and take off with the new plot from there.

So...I don't think the last 2 movies are canon now >.>

The new manga chapter is out

http://readms.com/r/dragon_ball_super/002/2864/1

And for those feeling confused, it actually turns out that Super is going to retell Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F into new story arcs for the show, and take off with the new plot from there.

Well, they are, but aren't.

It's like all the other movies. Toei isn't going to come out and say "Oh no, these aren't canon" because people won't waste their time on them.

I dunno why they feel the need to retell though. Guess I'll find out Sunday.

I guess in the case that Super does well enough to warrant another sequel, they'll have more of a time period to work with, since Battle of Gods was 4 years after Majin Buu died.

[spoiler=But there's a problematic plothole with Battle of Gods]

Goku was only able to become SSGod because Videl was pregnant with Pan.

But if Battle of Gods is moved up, that either means they're going to make Pan older, which will be a complete retcon of the original ending, or they're gonna need to change the way SSGod is unlocked.

Well none of the movies are "truly" canon for the reasons Sai just explained.

I guess in the case that Super does well enough to warrant another sequel, they'll have more of a time period to work with, since Battle of Gods was 4 years after Majin Buu died.

[spoiler=But there's a problematic plothole with Battle of Gods]

Goku was only able to become SSGod because Videl was pregnant with Pan.

But if Battle of Gods is moved up, that either means they're going to make Pan older, which will be a complete retcon of the original ending, or they're gonna need to change the way SSGod is unlocked.

I think the bigger plot hole was in Resurrection F where Vegeta is capable of going Super Saiyan God without having to go through the whole "five pure-hearted saiyans" but.

I think the bigger plot hole was in Resurrection F where Vegeta is capable of going Super Saiyan God without having to go through the whole "five pure-hearted saiyans" but.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they said he went through the ritual too.

It's not like it's hard or anything...

And then he started training with Whis.

I hadn't seen Resurrection F yet, I'm still debating if I'll try to catch it in theaters...

But I figured movies where the author is part of the writing staff meant it had more credence to be canon than the other movies. I think it would have been fine to call the two new movies canon if they weren't making Super.

Although that isn't an automatic guarantee. One Piece Z was written by Oda, but it's non-canon.

But now that I think about it, there's no reason that the saiyans shouldn't just get together and give each of them SSGod.

I hadn't seen Resurrection F yet, I'm still debating if I'll try to catch it in theaters...

But I figured movies where the author is part of the writing staff meant it had more credence to be canon than the other movies. I think it would have been fine to call the two new movies canon if they weren't making Super.

Although that isn't an automatic guarantee. One Piece Z was written by Oda, but it's non-canon.

But now that I think about it, there's no reason that the saiyans shouldn't just get together and give each of them SSGod.

See, I consider BoG more canon as of the moment because Akira Toriyama actually wrote those, while Super is Toei writi based off ideas he had.

And all know how those end up.

Well, I'd like to think this is different. GT didn't really have anything from Toriyama aside from design stuff like SS4 IIRC.

[spoiler=Episode 3]

So yup, definitely a retelling. I guess I don't mind since they're going for something completely different. Bulma's party's on the cruise now and the whole dialogue between Whis and Beerus about SSG went down differently.

I actually laughed at King Kai yelling at Goku over being left dead, that was great. Though I feel like King Kai's seiyuu is just reading his lines, his deadpan doesn't really suit King Kai going nuts. His english VA would be way more suited for that scene IMO.

Nice photo of Gohan's wedding. He and Videl sure didn't waste time .-.

That was also feelsy that Piccolo was in the family photo.

DBZ must be one of the very few anime I've watched where the Japanese language version isn't my go-to.

English dubs are good for the most part. Just a few exceptions but I won't go into details right now.

DBZ though, my nostalgia factor for that is in the Mexican dub I grew up with and to me that's the best one I've heard out of the 3 I know of.

But enough of that and on to Super.

I don't really like the child-like voice of Goku either, but I can get past that. Other than the pitch it isn't particularly terrible...

I do complain though about King Kai's. That one is just terrible. I feel bored after hearing him for a while. His debut in Super made sense to have that tone because he was going on about peace and calmness and whatnot, but even after he becomes annoyed that voice just stays the same. 

So far the start is kind of on the slow side. I enjoyed the adventures of Gohan starting up the Majin Buu saga, and other than that one Freeza's and Cell's sagas pretty much jumped right into it without a slow start. Though this time... It is a little too slice of life without much of a focus on episode 1, even if it tried to just show us the world in its current state to go off from there.

Episode 2 had Vegeta being his usual self for damage control, but Bulma and Videl so far are being waaaaaay too nice. Like, I like it when people are nice, but Bulma seems to be awfully tolerant of Vegeta's actions, and Videl is just not Videl... 

Didn't she like fighting crime and stuff? Now she's more girly and we don't even get shown Gohan or her at least flying. I thought we had gone past the "Gohan has been slacking off" issue back in the Buu era.

Finally, I guess it is ok that they'll have more time to present what otherwise could have been rushed aspects and plot points in the movies, but other than that it'll be basically re-watching the movies I already watched and who knows how long it'll get for them to get past that.... If they planned to make this anime series since the movie 1 showed to be successful, I'd rather have had Freeza's resurrection not be a movie so I wouldn't have to go through the same story twice. Now they are probably doing this because they need to show how the blue SS form was attained, which is something that was skipped for the sake of time and plot in the movie. They can't just jump past the movies in the series...

but damn it'll be a while. As I said before, it is going kind of slow...

Well, I'd like to think this is different. GT didn't really have anything from Toriyama aside from design stuff like SS4 IIRC.

[spoiler=Episode 3]

So yup, definitely a retelling. I guess I don't mind since they're going for something completely different. Bulma's party's on the cruise now and the whole dialogue between Whis and Beerus about SSG went down differently.

I actually laughed at King Kai yelling at Goku over being left dead, that was great. Though I feel like King Kai's seiyuu is just reading his lines, his deadpan doesn't really suit King Kai going nuts. His english VA would be way more suited for that scene IMO.

Nice photo of Gohan's wedding. He and Videl sure didn't waste time .-.

That was also feelsy that Piccolo was in the family photo.

Completely agree with King Kai's voice. It's just so funking awkward given his personality.

Who knows, but episode 4 came out this week.

I actually don't really have much to say about this episode aside from noting that Pilaf's gang is as goofy as usual.

and i cannot wait for this to be dubbed

They were actually kinda cute with how goofy they are.

I dunno, I found that odd.

Also, Vegeta and Bulma arguing over a phone made me laugh. Hard.

Archived