[Written] Pokerchip Archetype (13/13)

Atypical-Abbie

Pokerchip is an Archetype I have wanted to build for a while now, but was not sure what direction I should take them. All I knew was that they were Counter based, and they were themed around poker. Though now here we are, and think that their playstyle turned out pretty fun. They are Level 4 Machine-Type/DARK monsters, each with 2 effects, one that places counters and one that removes them. They work best as long as your opponent has more cards in their hand than you do, though can work without that. They also have Spell/Trap Cards that also support placing counters.

Main Deck Monsters:

Pokerchip Raiser
Machine-Type/DARK
Level 4
When this card is Normal Summoned or Special Summoned: You can place 1 Pokerchip Counter on it. If your opponent has more cards in their hand than you do, you can place 2 Pokerchip Counters instead. You can remove any number of Pokerchip Counters from this card; all "Pokerchip" monsters you control gain 200 ATK and DEF for each Pokerchip Counter removed until the end of the next turn. You can only activate each effect of "Pokerchip Raiser" once per turn.
1700/100

Pokerchip Cutter
Machine-Type/DARK
Level 4
You can discard 1 card; excavate the top 5 cards of your Deck, then you can add 1 excavated "Pokerchip" card to your hand, otherwise sent the excavated cards to the Graveyard, also after that, if your opponent has more cards in their hand than you do, you can place 1 Pokerchip Counter on this card for each excavated "Pokerchip" card with a different name. You can remove 2 Pokerchip Counter from this card, then target 1 "Pokerchip" monster in your Graveyard, except "Pokerchip Cutter"; Special Summon that target, but its effects are negated. You can only activate each effect of "Pokerchip Cutter" once per turn.
1500/1200

Pokerchip Dealer
Machine-Type/DARK
Level 4
You can target 1 other "Pokerchip" card you control, then discard 1 card; place 2 Pokerchip Counters on that target. You can remove 2 or more Pokerchip Counters from cards you control; draw 1 card. If your opponent has more cards in their hand than you do, you can draw 1 more card for each 2 Pokerchip Counters removed. You can only use each effect of "Pokerchip Dealer" once per turn.    
500/1700

Pokerchip Caller
Machine-Type/DARK
Level 4
If you activate a "Pokerchip" Spell/Trap Cards: You can place 1 Pokerchip Counter on this card. If your opponent has more cards in their hand than you do, you can activate this effect when you activate a "Pokerchip" monster effect, except by the effect of "Pokerchip Caller". You can remove 1 Pokerchip Counter from this card; immediately after this effect resolves, Normal Summon 1 "Pokerchip" monster from your hand. You can only use each effect of "Pokerchip Caller" once per turn
1600/1600

Pokerchip Limper
Machine-Type/DARK
Level 4
You can remove 2 or more Pokerchip Counters from cards you control; Special Summon this card from your hand, then if your opponent has more cards in their hand than you do, you can draw 1 card. If this card is destroyed by battle or a card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can place 1 Pokerchip Counter on each "Pokerchip" card you control. You can only use each effect of "Pokerchip Limper" once per turn
0/2000

Pokerchip Folder

Machine-Type/DARK
Level 4

When the battle position of a monster(s) is changed, except by the effect of "Pokerchip Folder": You can place 1 Pokechip Counters on this card. If your opponent has more cards in their hand than you do, you can place 2 Pokerchip Counters instead. You can remove 1 or more Pokerchip Counters from cards you control, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; change that target to face-down Defense Position. You can target additional targets for each 2 Pokerchip Counters removed.

1800/700

Extra Deck Monsters:

Pokerchip Rocker
Machine-Type/DARK/Xyz
Rank 4
2 Level 4 "Pokerchip" monsters
When this card is Xyz Summoned: You can target 1 "Pokerchip" card you control; place 2 Pokerchip Counters on that target. You can remove 2 Pokerchip Counters from this card, then target 1 card your opponent controls; destroy it. If your opponent has more cards in their hand than you do, you can target 1 additional card. If this would be destroyed by battle, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from it instead. You can only use each effect of "Pokerchip Rocker" once per turn.
2300/2100

Pokerchip Shark

Machine-Type/DARK/Xyz

Rank 5

3 Level 5 DARK monsters

You can only Xyz Summon this card by using a Rank 4 DARK Machine-Type Xyz Monster you control as Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.) When this card is Xyz Summoned:  You can place Pokerchip Counters on "Pokerchip" cards you control equal to the number of Xyz Materials this card has. When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can remove all Pokerchip Counters from 1 "Pokerchip" card you control; your opponent discards 2 cards (or their entire hand if less than 2), then they draws 3 cards. If your opponent has more cards in their hand than you do, you can make your opponent discard exactly 3 cards instead, then they draw 4 cards. You can only use each effect of "Pokerchip Shark" once per turn.

2600/2500

Spell/Trap Cards:

Pokerchip Dead Draw
Normal Spell Card
Discard 1 card; add 1 "Pokerchip" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Pokerchip Dead Draw", then you can place 1 Pokerchip Counter on 1 "Pokerchip" card you control. You can only activate 1 "Pokerchip Dead Draw" per turn.

Pokerchip Royal Flush
Normal Spell Card
Place 1 Pokerchip Counter on each face-up "Pokerchip" card you control.

Pokerchip Jackpot
Continuous Spell Card
If a "Pokerchip" monster you control inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You can place 1 Pokerchip Counter on this card. You can send this card with 2 or more Pokerchip Counters on it to the Graveyard; inflict 200 damage to your opponent for each Pokerchip Counter that was on this card, and if you do, your opponent takes no further damage for the rest of the turn.

Pokerchip Check Out

Normal Trap Card

Target 1 "Pokerchip" monster you control with a Level; return that target to the hand, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "Pokerchip" monster from your hand or Graveyard, except a monster with the same name as that target, and if you do, you can place all Pokerchip Counters that was on that target on that Summoned monster. You can only activate 1 "Pokerchip Check Out" per turn.

Pokerchip Insurance
Normal Trap Card
If you control a card(s) with a Pokerchip Counter on it, activate this card by targeting 1 "Pokerchip" monster you control; equip this card to that target. While your opponent has more cards in their hand than you do, the equipped monster cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

alright- i have maybe a small niggling issue about this. so the primary aim is to get the  counters out- but there is no set 'method' that this archetype follows. may i suggest putting more emphasis on excavation and graveyard effects? (much like sylvans)

(also isnt this the wrong section?)

alright- i have maybe a small niggling issue about this. so the primary aim is to get the  counters out- but there is no set 'method' that this archetype follows. may i suggest putting more emphasis on excavation and graveyard effects? (much like sylvans)

(also isnt this the wrong section?)

There isn't suppose to be a set method, not all Decks have to follow one. I tend to do that though, but I felt like making them all have different ways of doing it.

They're on Duel Portal, so I posted them here, a lot of people do that.

oh right XD fair enough. sorry I'm used to set formats- means that decks have greater synergy. but then I'm used to making support for existing stuff… all in all the archetype is pretty good actually- and the errata seems impeccable to my eyes. however, i do feel like instance should be a trap 'equip'? just an ocd niggle there 

Archived