~Bloom! Damn it!~ A somewhat competitive guide to Sylvans (Completed)

XrhpKAC.jpg

Hello there friends.  This is your friendly neighborhood Progenitor, here to give you the low down on our plant friends, The Sylvans.

Hopefully by the end of this guide you will have a full, or at least a better understanding of how Sylvans play in both a casual and competitive sense.

There is a lot of good an a lot of bad with Sylvans, so just bear with me and we will sort through it together.

COMPLETED

(Baring suggestions on more things to discuss / minor additions)

[spoiler About Sylvans]

Sylvans are a very interesting deck of Plant-Type monsters, whose entire gimmick revolves around excavating monster in order to get effects and make plays.  "Excavation" is basically the term used for the act of relieving the top X cards of your deck.  In the case of Sylvans, when they are sent to the Graveyard after being excavated, they have effects that trigger.  All Sylvans have 1 effect that allows you to excavate cards and send any Plant-Type monster excavated to the grave, while the rest (if any) go to the bottom of your deck.  All Sylvan Monsters also have an effect that triggers when it is sent to the grave after being excavated, as previously stated.  As such, you have to consider the role of each sylvan in the deck.  There are a few that you want on the field and not to excavate, and others that act like toolboxes and that you specifically want to excavate.  Because of this, a Sylvan play must carefully think out their plays before they continue.  Just relying on luck for your excavations will result in your deck shutting down before you can even play.  You have to take the time to bring out your play makers, stack (i.e. place on top of your deck) the toolbox sylvan you need, and then excavate.  Unfortunately, if you want your plays to be super explosive, you must occasionally rely on luck to excavate what you need, and this deck can kinda play like lightsworn in that sense.  However, unlike lightsworn you initial plays must be calculated.  You have to consider your options and any potential threats to your combos, and if you do, you will have massive success with this deck.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler Sylvan Maindeck Monsters]

300px-SylvanHermitree-MP14-EN-UR-1E.png

The King of the deck.  This thing completely starts your engine once you get it out.  2700 Body ain't half bad, and is the only monster that inherently +0s off it's excavation should you hit a monster, and in addition stacks your next 3 cards if you happen to excavate him.  This thing should be your go-to play maker.  If you can get him out, do it.

Run at 3

300px-SylvanSagequoia-PGL2-EN-GUR-1E.png

Hermitree's partner in crime.  Once you have your herm excavation stacked and ready to go, this not only helps you swarm the field super hard, but it allows you to continue your play should you run out of excavations.  Additionally, he's one of the best cards to help get you out of a tight spot.  Adding back Sylvan Charity can make or break some games.

Run 3 for most builds

300px-SylvanGuardioak-MP14-EN-C-1E.png

Now this guy is a bit of an underdog.  He's the only mass miller with a strong body from your main deck, and when he's sent to the grave he can recycle and stack to ensure your play continues as you want it.  The problem however is getting him out.  Sage can Special Summon itself, and Herm can already clog hands.  It's honestly up to personal preference if you want to run this.

Run 0, or 1-2

300px-SylvanLotuswain-PRIO-EN-C-1E.png

A more unreliable version of Guardioak.  His only real use is being a psuedo Pot of Avarice for the deck.  while that isn't exactly a bad thing, at the point at which you would want an Avarice, you have probably already lost or already won.  It's just too slow for the deck.

Skip; maybe side deck 1 copy

300px-SylvanBladefender-MP14-EN-SR-1E.pn

Worse than the next entry in pretty much every possible way.  It's excavation trigger is slow, and it's excavation effect is horrible.

Skip

300px-SylvanFlowerknight-MP14-EN-SR-1E.p

It's trigger is much, much better than Bladefender, and it's excavation allows you to stack key cards from your deck in order to continue plays.  Extremely useful early game, and keeping Rank 4 possibilities present is very favorable.  Personally, I prefer not to run it, but by no means is it a bad card.

Either Skip or Run 2

300px-SylvanMikorange-MP14-EN-R-1E.png

A trigger even slower than Bladefender and an even worse excavation effect?  No thanks

Swipe Left

300px-SylvanMarshalleaf-MP14-EN-UR-1E.pn

This guy is your spot removal.  Not too shabby for a trigger.  Checking 2 is always better than checking 1.  Excavating it removes potential threats like Djinn lock or other such big monsters.  Also helps secure game by breaking through monster walls.

Run 1-3.  2 is a solid number

300px-SylvanKomushroomo-MP14-EN-R-1E.png

We have spot monster removal, and here is your spot spell removal.  Not only that, but it's a fantastic card to set turn 1 on a bad hand.  Cycling 1/8 of your deck is not bad at all, especially when several effects can trigger off that.

Run 1-3.  2 is a solid number

300px-SylvanSnapdrassinagon-PRIO-EN-UR-L

This guy....is interesting.  His one and only job is cycling and thinning your deck.  He can be decent, a better version of Upstart essentially.  Personally though, Sylvans can burn through their deck so fast he isn't even needed.

Skip, but try him if your deck is too slow or inconsistent

300px-SylvanPeaskeeper-MP14-EN-R-1E.png

I love this guy so much.  Trigger is decent, but chances are you don't want to summon a 400 body.  No, his main job is abusing Lonefire.  That's it.  There aren't too many other good targets in your grave for it, but looping Lonefire is reason enough to use this guy.

Run 2-3

300px-SylvanPrincessprout-PRIO-EN-SR-1E.

This is one of your best play makers.  Need a Dracossack?  Just have Sage on board.  Need a felgrand?  She's got you.  Not only that, but she is the only Sylvan to reset herself.  Just plain amazing.

Run 2-3

300px-SylvanCherubsprout-PRIO-EN-C-1E.pn

This was used to Splash Copy Plant from your deck before Princessprout became a thing.  Still can be used to do that, but I've found that Princcessprout by herself fills both roles at the same time.

Skip, unless you are running Copy Plant

[/spoiler]

[spoiler Sylvan Spells and Traps]

300px-MountSylvania-MP14-EN-SR-1E.png

Stacks your excavations and makes your plays less random and more explosive.  Also checks your draws every turn.  What more could you want from a field spell?

Run 3

300px-SylvanCharity-PGL2-EN-GUR-1E.png

This card is amazing.  Just downright amazing.  Draw 3, then put 2 thing you don't want back in any order and prepare to go off.

Run 3

300px-SylvanBlessing-MP14-EN-C-1E.png

This kinda is ok, but Charity and Mount Sylvania already stack your stuff and you already have a TON of grave revival.  Cool it's unaffected by stuff, but you lose it at the end phase.  And it's a trap.  2slow4me

Skip

300px-SylvanWaterslide-PRIO-EN-C-1E.png

First effect is garbage and the 2nd effect is already done by Mount Sylvania.

Skip

[/spoiler]

[spoiler Sylvan Extra Deck cards]

300px-OreatheSylvanHighArbiter-PRIO-EN-S

One of the most powerful removal effects I've ever seen, and it helps sort up to your top 8 cards if you send Hermitree for the first effect.  This card destroys souls and crushes dreams.

Always have at least 1

300px-AlseitheSylvanHighProtector-MP14-E

Not nearly as good as Orea, but it's not without it's use.  Call for something you need, if you don't get it, send something to the bottom of the deck.  Just remember: ANY excavation will trigger it's 2nd effect, not just it's own.  And your deck is all about excavations.  Plus a 3200 Wall is pretty big.

Keep 1.  Probably don't go more than that.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler Monster Staples and Options]

300px-LonefireBlossom-PGLD-EN-GUR-1E.png

Dear lord does this card make the deck.  It's one of the best and most consistent ways to get out Hermitree, or anything else you might need.

Run 3, no questions asked

300px-RoseLover-PGL2-EN-GScR-1E.png

Sytgian Street Patrol for the deck.  Gets out your big guys in your hand like Hermitree, Sage, and Guardioak, AND makes them immune to traps that turn.  Plus it's the perfect discard to trigger Mount Sylvania.  Eat your heart out Sylvan Blessing.

Always run 1-2.

300px-RosePaladin-PGL2-EN-GScR-1E.png

A ROTA for your big guys.  You mainly won't be using it for his field effect.  Her main role is to search Sage for going plus of a stacked mill, or searching Hermitree to bring out with Rose Lover.  Her can be a bit dead though, especially late game.

I recommend always having at least 1

300px-RoseArcher-LC5D-EN-SR-1E.png

This deck hates backrow.  With a passion.  You have almost nothing if your opponent interrupts your combos, and so you need to be ready to stop problematic traps.  Rose lover helps in this regard, but sometimes you just need a tad more protection.

Would recommend 1-2.

300px-Spore-GENF-EN-SR-LE.jpg

300px-GlowUpBulb-PGL2-EN-GUR-1E.png

300px-Dandylion-PGL2-EN-GUR-1E.png

Sylvans have a wide variety of levels, and so there really isn't a reason to not run a plant synchro engine.  Unless your build is purely XYZ, add 1 of each

300px-CopyPlant-AP05-EN-C-UE.png

This thing basically filled the role of Princcessprout.  Copy and big level and Xyz.  I find it redundant now that princcessprout is a thing, but combined with Cherbsprout it's actually still a great card.  And it's a Tuner.

Skip; run 2 if you are running Cherubsprout

300px-Gigaplant-PTDN-EN-R-1E.png

Combined with Supervise, thing thing can break Lonefire even more than Peaskeeper.  There a few gimmicky builds centered around it, but I tend to avoid them.  They can be devastating though once you get the engine going.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler Spell and Trap Staples and Options]

300px-MiracleFertilizer-BP03-EN-C-1E.png

Do I even need to explain the power of this card in the deck?  Getting back hermitrees for free or re-using lonefire is just absurd, and the fact that you get a free summon every turn so long as that monster doesn't hit the grave is crazy.  Never forget the fact that if you XYZ using the monster you brought out, Miracle Fertalizer doesn't destroy itself.

Run 3, possibly 2 if you need room

300px-SoulCharge-DRLG-EN-SR-1E.png

This makes this deck so dumb.  Bringing out multiple Lonefires or Hermitrees is just amazing.  Plus, if you have a blank board and all 3 lonefires in your grave, this sets up a quasar using Spore, Dandylion, and Glow-Up Bulb

300px-Terraforming-SDGR-EN-C-1E.png

The field spell is very important to this deck.  Getting it out fast is crucial in some cases, so this is a good idea

300px-SymbolofHeritageDR04-EN-C-UE.png

You run many important monsters at 3.  Lonefire and Hermitree specifically, and your grave can get crowded with them very fast.  This is in no way a bad option for late game plays.

300px-SuperSolarNutrient-AP03-EN-C-UE.pn

This guy has 1 job.  Search Lonefire. You have a surprising amount of targets in the deck: Rose Lover, Komushroomo, Peaskeeper, and Princcessprout, and if you choose to run them, Spore and Glow-up Bulb.  It can really help alleviate bad opening hands.

Traps are too slow to maindeck in most builds.  Any that are worth running like Call of the Haunted are already well known and generic.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler Extra Deck Options]

300px-DivineDragonKnightFelgrand-MP14-EN

Generic Rank 8s.  Galaxy-eyes Tachiyon, Felgrand, and High Protector are all great options.

300px-RedEyesFlareMetalDragon-CORE-JP-UR

Generic Rank 7s.  Big-eye, Dracossack, Red-eyes, Etc.  Everyone should be aware of the staples by now.

300px-ShootingQuasarDragon-LC05-EN-UR-LE

Synchos of pretty much any level.  You can pull off Quasar relatively simply in most builds.  Just keep that in the back of your mind.

300px-CasteltheSkyblasterMusketeer-DUEA-

Generic Rank 4s.  While they won't be made all that often, it never hurts to throw in a Castel or something for the occasional need.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler Other random techs and Side Deck Options]

300px-ImperialIronWall-LCJW-EN-UR-1E.png

Anything that takes your graveyard away KILLS this deck.  Dark Law and Macro will make you just scoop in most builds.  This helps stop that.

300px-GhostOgreSnowRabbit-CROS-EN-ScR-1E

A decent enough side deck card to swap with Rose Archer or something.  It's an out to Djinn Lock and another Tuner.

300px-NightBeam-BP03-EN-C-1E.png

This deck hates backrow.  Show that hate with a passion.

300px-RagingMadPlants-BP03-EN-C-1E.png

Your graveyard gets filled RIDICULOUSLY fast.  This thing can potentially give an already crazy field double attack, or can be used to go for game.  Plus, since you have a lot of grave revival, it doesn't matter that all your plants get destroyed at the end phase, or you could simply use your monsters to Xyz or synchro summon so that there are not plants to even destroy.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler Example Decks]

[spoiler Sylvan Quasar]

y9ddZKo.png

The only build I really play.  There are others, and I may consider making a more Xyz oriented build

[/spoiler]

More decks coming soon!

[/spoiler]

[spoiler Match Ups]

[spoiler Good Match ups]

• Yosenju - They don't really have a whole lot to stop you, and your deck is much, much faster than theirs in most cases.
  • Satellarknights - A similar case with Yosenju, they don't have a whole lot to stop your rampage.  Plus you have a decent enough amount of removal to get rid of their problem cards, and in several cases it can be a bit tough for S-Knights to keep up with your deck depending on how you open.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler Neutral match ups]

• Nekroz - Both decks are about the same speed, and while the Djinn Lock hurts, you do have decent enough spot removal in the form of Marshalleaf.  It's not the most fun matchup, but generally it isn't the worst.
  • Qli - I was heavily thinking about putting this in Bad matchups, and that's for one reason:  Sylvans have almost no outs to Towers.  The only one I can think of is Quasar.  However, if you keep your wits about you it isn't too hard to keep that deck at bay and get your plays off before the towers can be dropped.
  • Shaddoll - This is an iffy matchup.  Construct isn't too much of a threat to you.  It's Winda thats the problem.  But that comes down to the Djinn lock Mentality.  1 SS can still get over winda without too much trouble, but sometimes that 1 SS is hard to get out before your opponent gets too much advantage.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler Bad Match Ups]

• HERO - Dark Law takes a big stinky shit on this entire deck.  And there is almost nothing you can do about it.  Everything you have revolves around the grave.  Nothing more to say about it.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

One for one doesn't do anything for this deck. It's only useful in plant synchro variants, and at that point it's a recognised staple. I guess I will add it if I get a chance though.

I just posted a pic of quasar cuz it a synchro. I'll make it more apparent in the description that any synchros work

Archived