Rock Support? [Crystal Dragon Lord]

The Nyx Avatar

ivDYgPj.jpg

LORE:1 Rock-Type monster + 1 Level/Rank 8 or lower monster
Must first be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by sending the above cards from either side of the field to the Graveyard. (You do not use "Polymerization".) Rock-Type monsters cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects. If a Rock-Type monster would be destroyed by a card effect, you can send the top 2 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard instead. While this card is face-up on the field, switch the ATK and DEF of all Rock-Type monsters on the field whose original DEF is higher than its original ATK.

I like this card. It adds a decent boost to the offensive capabilities of rock decks as well as being easy to get out with cards like Revival Golem and so on. The destruction prevention is probably the best use of this card along with the target prevention as it helps fuel cards like Megarock Dragon and Gaia Plate. I'm not entirely sure on the summoning condition but it could be what rock decks need to get a foothold in the current game state. You could lower its ATK a bit due to the fact of how easy it can be to bring out maybe to around 2700/2800, other than that it seems pretty solid.

This is pleasant. It definitely brings competitiveness to Rocks.

It prevents itself and other Rock-Type monsters from being 101'd or Castel'd, which is already one hell of a protection. But then it also saves them from effect destruction and fills up the Graveyard at the same time, giving fuel to Gaia Plate and Block Golem. Last but not least, it switches the ATK and DEF of all monsters, assuming their DEF is higher. So that makes Rock-Type monsters more offensive and therefore, more of a threat. 

So what we have is:

• A card that covers about half of the types of removal
  • A card that fills in the Graveyard for power plays
  • A card that turns rocks into rocks that hurt
  • And a card that can get rid of boss monsters upon its summon

The only actual concern I have about this is its summon condition, being able to steal a strong monster (if not a key monster) from your opponent and then having a 3k body on your side of the field that offers all of the above.

I would suggest that rather than making its second material so generic, you could just say 2 Rock-Type monsters. Although this would be much harder to achieve, it lets a player put more effort into summoning a monster with so many pluses. And Block Golem into anything can get make this ASAP.

Overall, it is a pleasing card.

I like this card a lot, rock does need some new support.

I was thinking it would be very strong against Burning Abyss, since, you can't target rock monsters. However I realised the ATK and DEF of Dante on your opponents side of the field is switched to 2500 base, so by activating his effect, he would be a 4000 ATK beatstick. Perhaps you want to make this unique to monsters on your side of the field, or only rock/earth monsters? We wouldn't want to make Burning Abyss/Rock a thing right?

Ok, tbh, am I the only one who thinks this is over-the-top in terms of power? I run a decently powerful rock-type deck and I can only say that this + catapult zone wrecks, especially when you can practically book of moon things at will (tackle crusader/chronomaly colossal head).

Killing an opposing boss on summon is what I really think puts this over-the-top though. If you changed that (maybe to 2 rocks as someone suggested before) and switched its ATK/DEF (so it is weak to effect negation), I think it would be more balanced and still give rocks exactly what they need in a generic boss.

Archived