Gaia Dragun, Master of the Skies

Armoire

66vuIZQ.png?1

[spoiler='Lore']

Pendulum Effect:

Piercing Damage your opponent takes is doubled. Once per turn: You can pay 800 LP to target 1 face-up monster you control; this turn, if it attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent.

Description:

A former knight who transcended the art of dragon-riding. When bathed in moonlight, it is said that his battle-charge can penetrate the strongest defenses.

[/spoiler]

Gaia the Dragon Champion obtained a Fusion (Original YGO), a Synchro and a stronger Fusion (YGO 5d's), and an Xyz (YGO Zexal). So I believe that Gaia deserves another form in respects to YGO Arc-V's unique mechanic: Pendulum Monsters.

What does Gaia do the best? Pierce.

Okay, so this is the second generic 8 Scale, if we count Dragonpit Magician. So let's compare.

Dragonpit: 

9/27 stats

Level 7

part of an archetype, so technically more searchable

Effect is archetype-only, so it's only good in an engine

This:

26/21 stats

Level 7

Generic, part of a series that's unrelated

Effect is generic. Situational, but would definitely steal games.

The biggest problems are that you made it a 26 beater with an effect as a scale. It has no drawbacks, at all, yet it's an 8 scale vanilla.

It's not well designed at all. Why would a recurring 26 with the ability to steal free games and summon others of itself be fair when it's so completely generic?

I see what you did, you made the newest version of Gaia the Fierce Knight from Normal, to Effect/Swift Gaia the Fierce Knight to Fusion/Gaia the Dragon Champion to Synchro/Gaia Knight The Force of Earth, to Fusion again/Gaia Drake the Universal Force to Xyz/Gaia the Dragon Charger(not sure off correct) to the Two Effect Gaia knights, so Now we just need the Ritual Gaia Knight

Okay, so this is the second generic 8 Scale, if we count Dragonpit Magician. So let's compare.

Dragonpit: 

9/27 stats

Level 7

part of an archetype, so technically more searchable

Effect is archetype-only, so it's only good in an engine

This:

26/21 stats

Level 7

Generic, part of a series that's unrelated

Effect is generic. Situational, but would definitely steal games.

The biggest problems are that you made it a 26 beater with an effect as a scale. It has no drawbacks, at all, yet it's an 8 scale vanilla.

It's not well designed at all. Why would a recurring 26 with the ability to steal free games and summon others of itself be fair when it's so completely generic?

I was definitely ignorant with the scales. So, design-wise, would it be better if I made its scale 5 or 6 to narrow its Pendulum Summoning capabilities?

Edit: I assumed you said "[completely terrible design]" because it had no drawbacks and the fact that it could summon itself. Made the scale 7 so it can never summon itself and gave it somewhat of a drawback. Not entirely sure what the drawback should have been.

Generally speaking, Scale 8+ Pendulums usually have Archetype-restrictions (see some of the Qliphorts, D/D Kepler [I think this is the S10 one, Urejinchuu [only for Yosenju if it hits Scale 11 via its effect]) or lower their Scales if something happens (both of Yuya's Magicians go to S4 if you don't have another Magician OR are leading in advantage).

Or you can have this card destroy itself if you don't have another Pendulum.

-----

But indeed, Gaia is due for a Pendulum remake and flavor-wise, it suits him.

Being Scale 7 is fine, and doesn't allow you to Pendulum another copy.

In any case though, it still has the power to push for game; even if the opponent is relatively unscathed; given it already doubles piercing damage and the monster you choose will be dealing 2x because of the effects alone. Or in short, target a powerful monster with this, then watch it punch massive holes in the opponent.

I see what you did, you made the newest version of Gaia the Fierce Knight from Normal, to Effect/Swift Gaia the Fierce Knight to Fusion/Gaia the Dragon Champion to Synchro/Gaia Knight The Force of Earth, to Fusion again/Gaia Drake the Universal Force to Xyz/Gaia the Dragon Charger(not sure off correct) to the Two Effect Gaia knights, so Now we just need the Ritual Gaia Knight

Anything else besides this?

Remember that you need to mention something based on the design of the card. While yes, you did mention flavor; the design part is missing.

Generally speaking, Scale 8+ Pendulums usually have Archetype-restrictions (see some of the Qliphorts, D/D Kepler [I think this is the S10 one, Urejinchuu [only for Yosenju if it hits Scale 11 via its effect]) or lower their Scales if something happens (both of Yuya's Magicians go to S4 if you don't have another Magician OR are leading in advantage).

Or you can have this card destroy itself if you don't have another Pendulum.

-----

But indeed, Gaia is due for a Pendulum remake and flavor-wise, it suits him.

Being Scale 7 is fine, and doesn't allow you to Pendulum another copy.

In any case though, it still has the power to push for game; even if the opponent is relatively unscathed; given it already doubles piercing damage and the monster you choose will be dealing 2x because of the effects alone. Or in short, target a powerful monster with this, then watch it punch massive holes in the opponent.

I figured that since you do not see as much monsters in defense position, the effect would actually be lackluster. But your point still stands; to water down the threat of the effect, I think it would be a step in a better direction if I narrowed down what this Gaia can target. Perhaps making the target specifically a Normal Monster.

Or I could just leave the "Double piercing battle damage effect" and make its scale 3 so that it can combo with Lancephorynchus rather than offering piercing and double damage on its own.

You'll still see some monsters that still play Defense Position a fair bit (Shaddolls, Superheavies if they are still relevant and some other things).

Or even your opponent's 'mons that they decide to use as walls in the event you already have them cornered in terms of advantage/power already.

As for making it a Normal Monster, that might work.

Granted, they can still get powerful enough and pierce heavily (with prior setup), however you should be fine.

(They should have enough suitable Pendulum Monsters to be able to allow summons with this card)

As for making it a Normal Monster, that might work.

Granted, they can still get powerful enough and pierce heavily (with prior setup), however you should be fine.

(They should have enough suitable Pendulum Monsters to be able to allow summons with this card)

I will take your word for that. And if "Normal Monster" in itself is still too broad, I can put a Level cap so that no giant beaters can take advantage of the effect. Since Monsters lower than Level 7 have fairly low ATK.

Archived