Dragon Quest Archtype (mostly slimes)

YangusTheGreat

Here is a Dragon Quest archtype I've made based around Slimes. The art isn't great for some cards, but I can't really do anything about it. I think this has been done before a long time ago but I wanted to try it myself. I'm not really too sure if this would qualify for advanced or not.

[spoiler=Cards]

NKH7QXp.jpg

Effect:

If this card is summoned: Add 1 "D.Q." monster from your Deck to your hand.

EhFjwC3.jpg

Effect:

If this card is added to the hand by the effect of a "D.Q." monster, Special Summon it. You can discard this card to the Graveyard to add 1 "D.Q." Spell card from your deck to your hand.

4Phmfrj.jpg

Effect:

If you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card is summoned, inflict 500 damage to your opponent.

P0wveyl.jpg

Effect:
If you control only 1 face up monster, and it is a "D.Q." monster, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is summoned, you can increase your Life Points by 500.

wWPEWLY.jpg

Effect:

If this card is summoned, Special Summon 1 Level 2 "D.Q." monster from your Deck. The effect of "D.Q. She-Slime" can only be activated once per turn.

MnaL5gz.jpg

Effect:

When a "D.Q" monster you control is removed from the field by opponents card effect: Return the removed monster to the hand, then Special Summon a monster from your Deck or Graveyard with the same name as the returned monster. The monster Special Summoned by this effect are unaffected by your opponents card effects until the end phase. You can only activate 1 "D.Q. Slime Rescue!" per turn.

mxS5PdR.jpg

Effect:

During your Battle Phase, you can Tribute one face up "D.Q." monster you control, and inflict damage to your opponent equal to its original attack.

Comments: I'm worried about this card, because it's similar to mass driver, and could potentially be abused some how. Not sure how yet - but I did make sure to make it original attack so the increased attack from tension counters cannot be used to nuke your opponent.

ov5fpaM.jpg
Effect:
Once per turn, you can discard one card to add 1 "D.Q." Card from your deck to your hand, except "D.Q. Observatory".

nUvaTvD.jpg
Effect:
While face up monsters on your side of the field have Timbrel Counters, this face up card cannot be targeted by card effects. Once per turn, you can place 1 Tension Counter on each face up monster on your side of the field. Monsters you control gain ATK based on the number of Tension Counters they control individually:
• 1 Tension Counter: ATK increased by 350.
• 2 Tension Counters: ATK increased by 1000.
• 3 Tension Counters: ATK increased by 2000.
• 4 or more Tension Counters: ATK increased by 3250.
If a monster you control inflicts damage to the opponents Life Points or successfully destroys an opponents monster by battle, its Tension Counters are removed.

Comments: I had difficulty wording this card, but I tried to make sure the original tension ratios from Dragon Quest 8 are the same (but only to a 500 ATK monster since it's percentages in game). Also I'm not sure how to make the bullet points show up on the card.

FM3KTZ1.jpg

Effect:

3 "D.Q." monsters
Must be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by banishing the above cards you control. When this card is summoned, draw 1 card. If this card is removed from the field by an opponents card effect or destroyed by battle, special summon up to 3 Level 2 "Slime" monster from your Banished Zone or Graveyard, then banish this card.

1G7iW7Y.jpg

Effect:

4 "D.Q." monsters
Must be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by banishing the above cards you control. When this card is summoned, draw 1 card, then return all banished "D.Q." monsters to the Graveyard. You can destroy one face up "D.Q." card you control to destroy one card on your opponents side of the field. When this card is destroyed by an opponents card effect, Special Summon 4 Level 2 "D.Q." monsters from your graveyard.

A4buoHG.jpg
Effect:
3 Level 2 "D.Q." monsters
While this card has Xyz material, it cannot be targeted by your opponents card effects. If this card would be destroyed by battle, you can detach 1 Xyz material instead. If this card attacks, it is changed to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase.

MPTvCCy.jpg
Effect:
2 Level 6 "D.Q." monsters
As long as this card has Xyz material, this card is unaffected by your opponents card effects. Once per turn if this card would be destroyed by battle, you can detatch 1 Xyz material instead. If this card attacks, it it changed to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase.

N6iIz5h.jpg
Effect:
2 Level 8 "D.Q." monsters
As long as this card has Xyz material, it is unaffected by your opponents card effects. Once per turn if this card would be destroyed by battle, you can detach one Xyz material instead. If this card attacks, this card is changed Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase.
[/spoiler]

Well that's all I came up with. If anyone has any suggestions for wording my cards or wants to provide better artwork feel free. I feel like this deck could be a bit overpowered, partly due to the almost indestructible boss monster "D.Q. Metal King Slime". If anyone has any balancing suggestions feel free.

Few issues I spotted:

[spoiler=D.Q. King Slime] 4 "D.Q." monsters
Must be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by banishing the above cards you control. When this card is summoned, draw 1 card, then return all banished "D.Q." monsters to the Graveyard. You can destroy one face up "D.Q." card you control to destroy one card on your opponents side of the field. When this card is destroyed by an opponents card effect, Special Summon 4 Level 2 "D.Q." monsters from your graveyard. [/spoiler]

Need to OPT this effect. If the chance happened that you had four other D.Q. monsters on the field, you could destroy em all to destroy four cards your opponent controls. 

[spoiler=D.Q. Metal Slime] 3 Level 2 "D.Q." monsters

While this card has Xyz material, it cannot be targeted by your opponents card effects. If this card would be destroyed by battle, you can detach 1 Xyz material instead. If this card attacks, it is changed to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase. [/spoiler]

This also needs OPT like the couterpart of this card, Liquid Metal Slime (Which I think is silly having the same effect, but that's just me). Unless you wanted him to be like Gachi Gachi? Though I think he is a better fit for this role.

Speaking of Liquid Metal Slime and subsequently Metal King Slime, they seem too hard and too wasteful to get out. For Liquid Metal you need two Stacks, which are Six D.Q. Monsters. For Metal King it is eight D.Q. Monsters. I would rather stick with the fusion monsters than get the can't be destroyed by battle effect.

Few issues I spotted:

[spoiler=D.Q. King Slime] 4 "D.Q." monsters
Must be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by banishing the above cards you control. When this card is summoned, draw 1 card, then return all banished "D.Q." monsters to the Graveyard. You can destroy one face up "D.Q." card you control to destroy one card on your opponents side of the field. When this card is destroyed by an opponents card effect, Special Summon 4 Level 2 "D.Q." monsters from your graveyard. [/spoiler]

Need to OPT this effect. If the chance happened that you had four other D.Q. monsters on the field, you could destroy em all to destroy four cards your opponent controls. 

I see what you mean, but considering it requires 4 monsters to make, how is what it is now any worse than something like exciton knight or dark armed dragon?

Perhaps I could make it once per turn, but a lesser cost such as banishing from graveyard?

[spoiler=D.Q. Metal Slime] 3 Level 2 "D.Q." monsters

While this card has Xyz material, it cannot be targeted by your opponents card effects. If this card would be destroyed by battle, you can detach 1 Xyz material instead. If this card attacks, it is changed to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase. [/spoiler]

This also needs OPT like the couterpart of this card, Liquid Metal Slime (Which I think is silly having the same effect, but that's just me). Unless you wanted him to be like Gachi Gachi? Though I think he is a better fit for this role.

Speaking of Liquid Metal Slime and subsequently Metal King Slime, they seem too hard and too wasteful to get out. For Liquid Metal you need two Stacks, which are Six D.Q. Monsters. For Metal King it is eight D.Q. Monsters. I would rather stick with the fusion monsters than get the can't be destroyed by battle effect.

If it was once per turn, I feel like the card would be too weak and therefore not worth getting out since it has quite a low defense anyway.

The metal slime monsters from the game had extremely high defence and agility and were immune to spells - perhaps it's more clear what I'm trying to do here?

I agree that them having same effects is a bit silly, but the colossal defense of the Metal King is enough for anyone to ask for. I don't even know how you would get rid of it to be honest, and I think giving it additional effects might shift it to the comedy/joke card board.

Also, the metal slimes are key to one of the main strategies of the deck - Using the Timbrel of Tension to increase their attack points more and more while they stall out.

Loving the potential combos with the level 2s.

If Dark, Heal and She are in hand: Special Summon Dark, Special Summon Heal, Normal Summon She, Special Summon Slime from Deck, add Bubble to hand and Special Summon it. 3 cards gets 5 monsters. Unlikely, but a nice combo nonetheless.

Optimal opening hand = Dark, Heal, 2 Shes, Double Summon. First turn Metal King Slime.

Or go second, with 6th card being Slime Shot!, and deal 6000 damage turn 1 with the 2 King Slimes. (Slime Shot! currently isn't once per turn. You might want to change it so it is.)

As pointed out above, it seems like it would be a better choice to keep the Fusions than to use them for the Xyz. They seem more useful, since if they're destroyed, you get quite a few monsters back, which then triggers their Summon effects again.

From a Dragon Quest perspective, I'm confused as to why 2 Slime Stacks is making a Liquid Metal Slime. The rest I can get behind (kinda), but that sticks out as the wierdest bit.

Overall, I'm liking it as a whole, but think the Extra Deck monsters could do with a little bit of a rework.

Loving the potential combos with the level 2s.

If Dark, Heal and She are in hand: Special Summon Dark, Special Summon Heal, Normal Summon She, Special Summon Slime from Deck, add Bubble to hand and Special Summon it. 3 cards gets 5 monsters. Unlikely, but a nice combo nonetheless.

Optimal opening hand = Dark, Heal, 2 Shes, Double Summon. First turn Metal King Slime.

Or go second, with 6th card being Slime Shot!, and deal 6000 damage turn 1 with the 2 King Slimes. (Slime Shot! currently isn't once per turn. You might want to change it so it is.)

As pointed out above, it seems like it would be a better choice to keep the Fusions than to use them for the Xyz. They seem more useful, since if they're destroyed, you get quite a few monsters back, which then triggers their Summon effects again.

From a Dragon Quest perspective, I'm confused as to why 2 Slime Stacks is making a Liquid Metal Slime. The rest I can get behind (kinda), but that sticks out as the wierdest bit.

Overall, I'm liking it as a whole, but think the Extra Deck monsters could do with a little bit of a rework.

I'm glad you like it.

Remeber the effect of "D.Q. She-Slime" can only be activated once per turn, as in it's not once per turn for each She-slime, but for them all.

Yes the slime shot needs to be altered also, because I just realised monsters can attack, then all be tributed afterwards for slime shot. I'll probably change it to Main Phase 1 only or restrict it for lower attack slimes.

You say that the fusions are more useful yes, I agree to an extent they have their re-summon capabilities, but let's look at the meta right now compared to Metal King SLime:

The only that can get over Metal King Slime ATK (because nothing can get over it's DEF other than rank 10 trains), is decisive armour/honest (which it can block twice). It can't be hit by trishula, burning abyss have no answer to it, nor Qliphort towers, nor Shaddoll or Satellas. In fact I thought this card was the most broken of them all but no-one has seemed to realize this. Again, liquid metal would be difficult to deal with, not as bad though. Metal Slime is just a stall card really for when you don't really have any plays - it's not that great admittedly.

The Xyz cards do need a bit of a rethink. You pointed out that two stacks make a liquid metal is strange. Yes it is. I had to make the Metal slimes in ascending order of power with ranks, to make logical sense: Metal Slime< Liquid Metal< Metal King

So: 2<6<8 would work fine, since, multiples of 2. The thing that made it difficult is that the regular Bubble slime isn't really much stronger than the other generic slimes in game, so he's also level 2 - however the metal slimes are significantly stronger as the tier increases. "Metal Slime" had to be rank 2, and Liquid metal had to be a greater rank, but 3 bubble slimes would, 1 be almost impossible to pull off, and 2 would be a rank 2 also, therefore not representing the power increase in terms of rank. So... I had to make it 2 Stacks. I can't think of what else to do.

It seems the Extra deck needs an overhaul.

Archived