[WYNM] Royal Cat Magician

asterr259

royal_cat_magician_by_asterrmon259-d8ush

Pendulum Effect:

If you have 4 or more "Magician" Pendulum Monsters face-up in your Extra Deck: You can target 1 face-up monster you control; the original ATK of that target becomes double its original ATK until the End Phase. This effect of "Royal Cat Magician" can only be used once per Duel.

Monster Effect:
When this card in your Monster Zone is destroyed by your opponent's attack or card effect: You can excavate the top 3 card of your Deck, then Special Summon 1 excavated "Magician" Pendulum Monster, also shuffle the rest back into your Deck.

Art by me.

I've play tested Magician Decks and I've had fun with them, although monster effect wise they can better. They're all generically supportive. So I tried to make a more useful one. I think this makes Magician-centric decks more viable. Or Odd-Eyes decks to be more specific. Whichever your preference, I think this is a pretty good card.

That is a standard-sized generic good high Scale. Check.

The Pendulum Effect, I don't know the Magician Pendulums very well, to tell you the truth, at least not beyond the first 4 at least (Chronomancy, Astromancy, Creation, and Destruction). 

Anyways, I personally am not very fond of "once per Duel" clauses, if there is a way to avoid them, so I'll suggest something along the lines of:

While there are 4 or more "Magician" Pendulum Monsters face-up in your Extra Deck: You can target 1 face-up monster on the field; double the target's original ATK until the End Phase, but battle damage from battles involving it is halved (you can only use this effect of "Royal Cat Magician" once per turn). Also, during your next Standby Phase, if you used this effect, send both this card in your Pendulum Zone and 1 "Magician" Pendulum Monster face-up in your Extra Deck to the Graveyard."

That way the effect is repeatable but will still need to re-load the Extra Deck and re-setup that Scale in order to re-use it. Though the initial condition sounds like mid-to-late game anyways, but I could be wrong.

The monster effect sounds a little bit luck-based, and not sure Magicians are abundant enough to get something out of it most of the time, but it looks like the Pendulum Effect is where the real action is at. At least it has the plus that it'll be getting Pendulum Summoned back  often enough to keep doing it, and it isn't limited to once per turn so several copies getting Pendulum Summoned and then Needle Ceiling/Torrential Tribute, all will stack. 

Though not all Magicians can really do it, I think it is Destruction Magician that has a Scale 3 iirc, and the effect might end up screwing you over if you needed X Magician Pendulum to be drawn and used as your Scale, only to end up Summoning it with this card.

On another bright side, it helps fill up the Extra Deck a little more quickly by accelerating the traffic of Pendulums on the field, but just "potentially" since I'm not too convinced that you'll get it all that often.

Well not gonna really complain about those things. It does look like the kinds of plays Yuya has done in the past, and I think that's the idea, so it is fine.

In fact, the Pendulum Effect is pretty apparently meant to be used by non-evolved Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon and its x2 damage effect. 

The art is pretty cute too. I like the slight shading there, I usually can't get that sort of stuff right all that smoothly xD
Especially the sky halo background.

As always I appreciate the input =D

I like your revision, but not like the half damage part. It is intended to be a mid to late game so I wanted it to be able to push for damage. I've made a complete deck using nothing but Pendulum magicians (albeit a lot of help comes from Secret Village of Spellcasters and Royal Degree/Timegazer), but the only really heavy hitter is Destruction Magician at 2500, though Odd-Eyes is recommended too. It gets a little hard getting over bigger monsters like this. Anyway the easiest/best way to get magicians in the Extra Deck is with the Best magician so far imo, Insight Magician. Top Decking 2 Insight Magicians automatically sets your scales and puts 2 magicians in your Extra Deck. So this might be easier than I thought.

I might bump up the requirement to 5 or more and then make you send itself and 2 magicians instead. If need be Peasant Dragon Magician is also a thing, allowing you to get them back.

Also thanks, the art took me 2 days(5 hours or so total) to finish. Put a lot of effort into it.

Archived