Extinct Vol. 5

Instinct

The Extinct series is a compilation of card entries I've made for various contests regardless of results. This specific set of cards is from sometime within 2013 and so there may be ocg differences. It'd be interesting if I could get any C&C on how these would do in the current meta. Much appreciated!

PS: Not written cards. Images in spoilers since they're extremely huge nowadays.

Volume 4 (2013)

Volume 3 (2008)

Volume 2 (2008)

Volume 1 (2007)

[spoiler=Battle Mech - War Grunt]1_2.jpg[/spoiler]

Requirement: Create an archetype of Machine-Type monsters that combine/fuse together. The fusion monster(s) must require at least 3 materials.

Lore: Once per turn, if this card is in your Graveyard: You can banish 1 LIGHT Machine-Type monster from your Deck; Special Summon this card. If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing Battle Damage to your opponent. You can only control 1 face-up "Battle Mech - War Grunt".

Intent: (Applies to the next 3 cards.) As you can tell, the Chaos archetype has been one of my favorites ever since it was introduced in IOC. As such, I chose to follow the requirements while incorporating effects revolving around banishing cards (which also made fusing much more simple and effective). I also decided to limit Battle Mechs by only allowing 1 of each to be on the field at a given time, to help balance out their abilities of Special Summoning.

[spoiler=Battle Mech - Armored General]2_1.jpg[/spoiler]

Requirement: Create an archetype of Machine-Type monsters that combine/fuse together. The fusion monster(s) must require at least 3 materials.

Lore: If you have 3 or more LIGHT Machine-Type monsters in your Graveyard, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). Banish any monster destroyed by battle with this card. You can only control 1 face-up "Battle Mech - Armored General".

[spoiler=Battle Mech - Exosphere]3_2.jpg[/spoiler]

Lore: You can Normal Summon this card without Tributing. If Summoned this way, it is destroyed during the End Phase. If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can Special Summon 1 "Battle Mech" monster with 2000 or less ATK from your Deck, but it cannot declare an attack this turn. You can only control 1 face-up "Battle Mech - Exosphere".

[spoiler=Battle Mech - Master Mind]4_2.jpg[/spoiler]

Lore: 3 "Battle Mech" monsters
Must first be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by banishing the above cards from your field and/or Graveyard. (You do not use "Polymerization".) Machine-Type monsters you control are unaffected by Spell/Trap effects the turn they are Summoned. Once per turn, during your Main Phase: You can pay 3000 Life Points; Special Summon as many of your banished "Battle Mech" monsters as possible. During the End Phase, shuffle all monsters that were Special Summoned by this effect into the Deck.

[spoiler=Archfiend Viceroy]5_2.jpg[/spoiler]

Requirement: Create a support card for Archfiends.

Lore: 2 Level 4 "Archfiend" monsters
While this card has 2 Xyz Materials, non-DARK monsters cannot be Special Summoned. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target 1 DARK monster on the field; destroy that target. When this card is destroyed, send 1 "Archfiend" card from your Deck to your Graveyard.

Intent: To make a generic Xyz for Archfiends.

[spoiler=Super Robofactory "Z"]6_2.jpg[/spoiler]

Requirement: Create a support card for the Robo (Roboyarou & Robolady) archetype.

Lore: 2 Level 3 EARTH Machine-Type monsters
While this card has Xyz Material, "Robo" monsters you control are unaffected by Spell/Trap effects during your Battle Phase. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon 1 "Super Roboyarou" or "Super Robolady" from your Extra Deck. (This Special Summon is treated as a Fusion Summon.) It can make a second attack during the Battle Phase of the turn it is Special Summoned.

Intent: Fusion cards that rely on polymerization are terrible. I wanted to make a card that not only brings out the robo fusions easily but also enhances them as they are relatively weak.

[spoiler=Mizuchi]7_2.jpg[/spoiler]

Requirement: Create a generic Synchro-Spirit monster.

Lore: 1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
During the End Phase of the turn this card is Special Summoned: Return it to the Extra Deck. When this card is Special Summoned: You can draw cards until you have the same number of cards in your hand as your opponent. Once per turn, if you have 4 or more cards in your hand: this card cannot be destroyed by card effects.

Intent: When I look at this now, I realize the only thing decent about this card is its art (simply pasting a render onto the spirit background). Assigning spirits as the non-tuner monsters would make this less OP but doesn't meet the requirements.

[spoiler=Scrap Rhinus]8_1.jpg[/spoiler]

Requirement: Create a Level 4 or lower support monster for an underused archetype.

Lore: When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can add 1 Level 4 or lower "Scrap" monster from your Deck to your hand. If it is a Tuner monster: destroy this card. If this card is destroyed by the effect of a "Scrap" card and sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 "Scrap" monster in your Graveyard except "Scrap Rhinus"; add that target to your hand.

Intent: Searcher for scraps. Meant to be utilized with Scrap Dragon's effect.

[spoiler=Luminous Phantasm]9_2.jpg[/spoiler]

Requirement: Create a Trap monster that fits a commonly-played Deck.

Lore: Special Summon this card in Attack Position as an Effect Monster (Dragon-Type/LIGHT/Level 4/ATK 1600/DEF 1900). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) As long as this card is face-up in a Monster Card Zone: Negate all other Trap Card effects on the field.

Intent: Made this around the time Dragon Rulers dominated.

[spoiler=Check & Mate]10_2.jpg[/spoiler]

Requirement: Create a card that utilizes the column feature.

Lore: Draw a card for each occupied zone in this card's column (max. 2). You cannot Special Summon the turn you activate this card.

Intent: You'll always at least draw 1. Due to the possibility of drawing 2, I added a cost.

[spoiler=Seismic Stealth Bomber]11_1.jpg[/spoiler]

Requirement: Create a card that can neuter the top decks of the meta without being inherently broken or useless elsewhere.

Lore: During your opponent's turn, when a monster with 2000 or more ATK would be Special Summoned: You can discard this card; negate the Special Summon, and if you do, destroy it. You can only use 1 "Seismic Stealth Bomber" per turn.

Intent: Like I said, Dragon Rulers dominated.

[spoiler=Serena of Tranquility]12_1.jpg[/spoiler]

Requirement: Create a generic Spellcaster-type Xyz Monster. Cannot have over 2300 ATK, nor an effect that banishes cards.

Lore: 2 Level 3 monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card; Gain 2000 Life Points. As long as this card remains face-up on the field, both players take no effect damage. During your Standby Phase, if this card is in your Graveyard: You can pay 500 Life Points; return it to the Extra Deck.

Intent: Modern day (at least 2013-esque) form of Solemn Wishes. Something Tea would play.

[spoiler=Daigusto Enchantress]13_1.jpg[/spoiler]

Requirement: Create a Fusion of a Dragunity monster and a Gusto monster.

Lore: 1 "Gusto" monster + 1 "Dragunity" monster
Must first be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by banishing the above cards you control. (You do not use "Polymerization".) Once per turn, Spell/Trap Cards you control cannot be targeted or destroyed. If this card would leave the field, you can banish at least 3 "Dragunity" and/or "Gusto" monsters from your Graveyard instead.

Intent: I remember doing research on both archetypes but other than that, my mind is blank. I did mention before that fusions relying on polymerization are trash.

Archived