Protagonists Signature cards

Which card is your favorite?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which protagonists signature card is your favorite?

• Dark Magician
    • Elemental HERO Neos
    • Stardust Dragon
    • Number 39: Utopia
    • Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon

Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon as he is (on top of a trendsetter for level 7 pendulums and boss monsters scales) a monster which does support its own deck, rather than being carried by it (not to mention his different card type alternate forms).

(Utopia the lightning is funny, however definitely not enough to make up for all the frustration of Yuma lucksacking and cheating cards out of nowhere to prevent him being forced to actually use his brain for about one time to actually decide which number monster could actually be most powerful, instead of just spamming utopia and concentration on only utopia (or enhancig him to ensure he never uses a variety of numbers)).

What about manga aces, do they not count ?

(Stardust Spark Dragon should also be a definite protagonist ace).

I understand why Stardust has taken lead... But my vote will go to Odd-Eyes for its versatility and Yuya is Tied for my favorite character. (Along side Joey) In Yuya's Deck it is just phenomenal. It helps Pendulum Decks so much. I just wish the original form got more love.

The one true answer is that Neos is the worst.

Such a failure of a gimmick, should have just stuck to his guns instead of adding in the spacians. I actually am more fine with Utopia evolving than Neos, because one of these was clear (Episode 17 gave us C39, ZeXal Weapons before more evolving) and the other was unneeded. Flame Wingman/Shining Flare do the ace job much better for Jaden.

I guess I'm most fond of Odd-Eyes, but I like Stardust, too. Just... Stardust is too ugly for Yusei's ace.

The one true answer is that Neos is the worst.

Such a failure of a gimmick, should have just stuck to his guns instead of adding in the spacians. I actually am more fine with Utopia evolving than Neos, because one of these was clear (Episode 17 gave us C39, ZeXal Weapons before more evolving) and the other was unneeded. Flame Wingman/Shining Flare do the ace job much better for Jaden.

I guess I'm most fond of Odd-Eyes, but I like Stardust, too. Just... Stardust is too ugly for Yusei's ace.

I have to disagree. While Neos and the Neo-Spacians were a huge divergence from his existing Deck, they were stil a cool concept and (in theory) allowed for a lot of flexibility in effects. The problem came from blending Neos into his existing deck and never really tieing them together.

But Neos was shown right from the beginning as the core of an evolutionary gimmick, and so every upgrade it got tied in to its intended purpose. Utopia evolutions didn't have that going for them - each new addition became increasingly obnixious, especially since Hikokubo neglected the remaining Numbers to spam it. Stardust is kinda getting there since it turned into an Archetype, and Odd-Eyes' upgrades are 50% OCG-originals that may never see play in the anime.

So my vote is for Dark Magician, because y'know... Atem actually has the deepest reason to run it. 3000/5000 years of history.

Definitely Stardust Dragon, because of 5Ds things.

That, and he can evolve in Shooting Star Dragon / Quasar (with epic music when he does).

Dark Magician is still cool though, even after all this time. He IS the original character's ace.

That, and support cards are nice. (I like the new artwork of him, but too bad it's OCG only right now)

Neos is nice, but I never really got into the Neo-Spacians. (However, he did pioneer Contact Fusion, so he gets points there)

Utopia is alright; first generic Rank 4 and a lot of potential to do things.

Although a bit neutral on it, since Yuya kept using him repeatedly while other monsters in his Extra Deck would've been a better fit for the situation.

Odd-Eyes, I don't have much of an opinion on right now.

Yeah, he has Rebellion as an evolved form, which is indeed cool; but requires a bit of commitment to pull off.

That and Zexal and GX are considered the worst two of the five.

That's only in the west, These two are more loved in Asian (hence why those two have better TV rating than 5d..)

Is really weird seeing the result of this poll lol, cause someone in a chinese forum done a similar poll last month and the results was so different XD

Well tbh Yuya summons Odd-eyes in almost all of his duels..(do he even shuffles his deck!?)

It's worse in ZeXal because the plot was framed around Yuma collecting 100 cards. And he instead chooses to spam one of them instead of using all of them. Despite a lot of them having like really useful effects for half the situations he summons Utopia in. 

Like it's all but certain that a pro-tag will summon his ace more than most other cards, but Yuma relied on Utopia way to much given he had the other numbers. 

And my favourite Signature card is Pot of Greed - Because that card was like the most used across the entire first two shows of YGO. Everyone loved it. 

In all seriousness it's probably Stardust however. 

It's worse in ZeXal because the plot was framed around Yuma collecting 100 cards. And he instead chooses to spam one of them instead of using all of them. Despite a lot of them having like really useful effects for half the situations he summons Utopia in. 

Oh i'm not saying Yuya always having Odd-eyes in his hand 90% of the time is worse than Yuma, but is still pretty bad..

(but at least is not worse than Jaden using 5 cards to summons Neos in episode 157)

Anyway In Yuma's defence, is not like he always uses Hope (he does summons other numbers or xyz in the manga and anime...) but yeah most of the time he better off summoning other cool numebrs than hope..

But Odd-Eyes isn't that bad.

Odd-Eyes (itself) isn't played out as his ace anymore. Even early, his duel against Michio had Elephammer as the star, Odd-Eyes one more time, and then it began evolving. But let's rewind.

• First duel, intro.
  • Sawatari duel, expanding on Pendulums.
  • Sora duel, showcasing the ED usage of Pendulums.
  • Hokuto/Skipper duel, not too much showcase.
  • Reiji duel, showing the growth of the mechanic, how Odd-Eyes is falling behind.
  • Yuzu's dad duel, showing Yuya that he can grow and rival Reiji, despite not being special
  • Michio, Hammer Mammoth/Elephammer takes the show, despite Odd-eyes lagging.
  • Kyuand- actually omitted, funk that guy
  • Mieru, Odd-Eyes has to charge forward and grow, Rune-Eyes.
  • Gongenzaka, has to grow more to keep up with those around him, cue Beast-Eyes.
  • Sawatari rematch, moreso aboout Sawatari growing and Yuya showing his new resolve. Odd-Eyes usage was another example of growth, before anevolving opponent.
  • Yuto (w/Sora), meeting of the dimensional dragons, plot intensifies.
  • Kachidoki, attempting to make Yuto proud, ends up showing a new ace instead.
  • Kachidoki allies (w/Dennis), again, a different ace shows.
  • Obelisk Force, aces combine into Skullgreymon.
  • Sora rematch, Skullgreymon and MutantTigermon clash, end of the invasion.
  • Reiji rematch, all-out proves to not be enough, despite evolving 3 times already.

Yeah, Odd-Eyes gets used (to win) almost every duel, but that's not a major problem. Unless you're complaining that he doesn't run searchers or something, which I don't mind the difference there. It was used as a character medium, and now it's used as a means to make bigger aces.

Odd-Eyes isn't so much an ace as a core component IN his aces, with surely more to come. Neos technically does this, but does it poorly. 

Stardust also has issue fact that Junk Warrior fits Yusei as an ace much more, but then it kinda got the shaft. It's not like they can't have 2 aces (Lik Flame Wingman to Jaden), so it's just kinda dumb, especially when the flavor sense of Junk Warrior transcends that of Stardust. Junk Warrior shows his personality... Stardust (The Woman Clothed in the Sun) shows that he's a savior. They both fit his role, but one was played up a lot more than the other, which is disappointing. And as the series went on, this became more clear, and Yusei's personality (JW) faded more and more as his role (SD) shined.

I don't care that Neos was introduced with his mechanic, it was handled badly. Contact Fusions aren't a wonderful design, anyways. They're like Synchros and Xyz with none of the drawbacks, bar lol level lockdowns. Yes, Utopia is a nuisance considering how much he took over in the plot, but his makes sense like Junk Warrior. Where Yuma/Astral's aces were meant to be the Numbers with Utopia as a main ace, Utopia shined. And while I thin ZeXal is terrible as a show, I'll give it this.

Utopia is everything that Yusei threw away. He's the Junk Warrior. Utopia and his evolutions represent Yuma's growth as a characer, whereas Numbers were meant to dictate the role. After Yusei flopped at the end, it was probably just more reason for Utopia to be so prominent. Each evolution is a facet of Yuma's growth, both in the Anime and the Manga, and that makes it shine brighter than Neos when you look past the abomnation of a plot.

Neos did not tie into his archetype at all. The core idea was fine, but the execution was terrible. Hell, there's no reason for "space" and sheet, they could have just made a central (E-)HERO like they made G-K Crystal... Y'know, Neos done 'right'? It's still not perfect, but better than Neos.

Now let's point out another flaw with Neos:

Dark Magician: Normal Monster

Neos: Normal Monster

Stardust Dragon (and Junk Warrior) Synchro Monsters

Utopia (and Numbers): Xyz Monsters

Odd-Eyes (and dimensional dragons): Pendulum Monster (and respective dimensions)

Neos represents an era dominated by Fusion summoning, but it isn't a fusion monster. It's a vanilla, which already had DM as one to represent the BASE SERIES. And I suppose this is another example of Jojo's leaking into YGO (Jonathan used Ripple, Joseph worked on it more; DM is a vanilla, Neos is a vanilla with niches), but that being the case would just show how terrible Neos was. He's a terrible representation of what his era was meant to be.

DM i just don't care. It's iconic, it has a good role... Just not my favorite. Represents its era and user quite well.

My favorite is definitely Stardust Dragon. While I don't watch Zexal, I do like how versatile Utopia and the Number C39: Utopia monsters are with the help of the ZW monsters. Not only do the ZW monsters give the Utopia monsters a lot of ATK, but they also give them great effects. However, I don't really like the Utopia monsters after Number C39: Utopia Ray Victory.

Archived