Protagonists Signature cards

Which card is your favorite?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which protagonists signature card is your favorite?

• Dark Magician
    • Elemental HERO Neos
    • Stardust Dragon
    • Number 39: Utopia
    • Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon

Yuma sucks, at least Jaden got better as time went on

Case in point

Post from someone who's never watched zexal through, why am i not surprised

Nice job. Yuma went from being one of the worst to probably one of the best. Jaden is ass and will always stay ass.

As for the poll my vote goes to Odd Eyes. I don't really like utopia at all

Actually I have to agree that Yuma's growth as a character is visibly there, and while it didn't really make the show better...it's still there and it's decent enough. Judai's....took way too long for everything, and his invincible hero era really is a damn pain. Utopia would've been more well received if Yuma's way to duel isn't completely single-minded until the time he faces Astral, since it illustrates the character really well.

Still gotta go with Odd Eyes however. Aside the fact that its chicken run is just so damn adorable, I really like how it develops this much even with us still maybe in the 1/3rd part of the show. And as a card, it's my favorite of the bunch due to it and the deck surrounding it being just really damn fun to play.

Neos is the best because Jaden got it in OUTER SPACE.

>I was only 9 years old

>I loved Nexus so much, I had all the merchandise and movies

>I pray to Masaaki Endoh every night before bed, thanking him for the life I've been given

>"Nexus is love" I say, "Nexus is life"

>Other players hear me and call me a fangirl

>I knew they were just jealous of my husbando

>I called them scrubs

>They ban me and send me to pojo

>I'm crying now, and the posts hurt to read

>I lurk in Yugioh and it's really cold

>A warmth is moving towards me

>I feel something touch me

>It's Shooting Star Dragon

>I am so happy

>He whispers in my ear, "Believe in Nexus"

>He grabs me with his powerful Dragon hands and throws my cards on the floor

>I'm ready

>I spread my extra deck for Shooting Star Dragon

>He flies into my deck

>I cry tears of joy but I do it for Masaaki Endoh

>I stare at his card

>I want to please Shooting Star Dragon

>He lets out a mighty roar as I put him into my extra deck.

>Red Nova Dragon walks in

>Shooting Star Dragon looks him straight in the eye and says "Let's go, clear mind"

>Shooting Star Dragon leaves through my window

>Nexus is love, Nexus is life.

I better not get warned for spam because this topic is pretty ridiculous anyways. On topic, Utopia is smelly and Neos was boring.

I just love how Odd Eyes has an offensive effect instead of a passive effect. Granted the effect isn't "overwhelming" but its still nice to double damage someone. The pendulum effect is awesome as I use it frequently to find my Magicians easier. Overall Stardust and Odd Eyes are close but I just like Odd Eyes more as he's cool and I like how he looks generic. Utopia looked too much like Neos in the facial structure. Btw, I thought there would be more than 1 vote for Utopia at this stage. This is just sad, Stardust, Odd-Eyes and Dark Magician are just leaving him and Neos in the dust.

This is a hard one for me.

-Stardust was just so epic and so interesting during its prime, and I'd be lying if I said its evolutions didn't inspire future Ace protagonist evolutions to some degree.

-Odd-Eyes is turning out incredibly amusing with its way of recycling itself and bringing out bosses, and is probably the most varied one.

-Neos has a special place for me because it is incredibly unpractical but to a degree that is fun when you succeed on bringing out the OP bosses. Plus Judai is one of the most creative players in the anime universes.

-Utopia has 2 burdens: Yuma and ZeXal are one, and it ending up mostly focused on OTKs is the other one. Otherwise I would consider it to have its cool stuff to offer, and it is the most splashable one so casual plays I often splash an Utopia Ray for shizz and giggles once in a while.

However, I'm loyal to my first dedicated deck of all time: Dark Magician. I still own my collection of the whole archetype in various languages and alternate artworks, as outclassed as it might be. The art of the Dark Magicians pretty much inspired me to practice drawing a lot so I even owe it some of the skill I have xD

Yay? I'd assume its more than a "yay" as this poll seems to state that we're all fine with Stardust, Dark Magician, and Odd-Eyes support while also seeming to state that we really don't want any more Utopia or Neos support. I see why people vote for Stardust and Odd-Eyes because they're cool and actually playable as Stardust was the symbol of the Synchro era with Quasar and Odd-Eyes could very well be the symbol of the Pendulum era when he gets his version of Quasar. As for Dark Magician, I see a lot of nostalgia going for him and I don't blame anyone as I'm biased towards Blue-Eyes in the same manner.

Neos would have been 1st IF THEY ACTUALLY funking FINISHED THAT ARCHETYPE'S GIMMICK. But no. We can never have nice things...

Dark Magician is mostly just bait for GEEWUNNERs.

Neos is just boring, cuz' they tried too hard and didn't even bother finishing it.

Stardust is fine, and it partially defined the game to an oddly specific degree.... Back in the day.

Utopia and his matching gimmicks are fine, since it's just what Neos wanted to be. However, I'm not really a fan of ZeXal.

Odd-Eyes is the geunine wildcard of this set, so that one gets the most wow factor, I guess.

However, I'm still a Synchro guy at heart, so Stardust gets my vote.

Dark Magician is mostly just bait for GEEWUNNERs.

D= 

)=

- - - - - - - -

Well my vote is already in, though I'll say:

I think aces also started to be meant to stomp into a common tendency of their previous generation.

Dark Magician is during the base series so it doesn't count.

Neos barely counts either because I'm fairly sure Jaden was meant to be a permanent protagonist for the show after Kazuki said "Yugi's story is over". They didn't have anything really fledged out so it was mostly a straight up continuation of DM's world (not so much DM's characters though). That is why Neos is a straight-up nod to Dark Magician's stats and card type. Though GX did increase on the usage of effects over brute force compared to DM's times. Even if DM often said "ATK isn't everything" several sets make it look like they still didn't really mean it.

During the GX era, cards loved their destruction effects (Horus, Nephtys, HERO Thunder Giant, Yubel, GBs Lightsworns, and destroying staples in Spells and Traps were a no-brainer), so 5Ds era responded with a self-reviving anti destruction effect every turn.

During the 5Ds era, the game got a little better at swarming and at being agressive in general. Shooting Star's multi attacks, Quasar's the same, Plant Synchro, Dandy Warrior, Infernities, Rekindling, etc. So ZeXal answered with a multi attack-negating ace. Utopia was never incredibly powerful on its own but it had an unprecedented amount of splashability, and even to this day I think it is still the easiest to splash anywhere.

ZeXal's era had the most linear strategies of the bunch. Your main deck had the single purpose of making Xyz and then there was even abuse of tendencies like negating effects too much. So Arc V presented a boss that pretty much covers upgrades from the styles of all previous generations combined. I'm confident in stating that Odd-Eyes is one of the most interesting aces of the bunch (gameplay wise).

D= 

)=

Ok, wait, let me be more specific with what I mean.

Dark Magician is fine by itself, seeing as how it has an over-abundance of support/etc.

I mean....

It has at least 3 E-Teles.

Several revival cards.

Numerous cards to play it from the hand.

etc.

...But people don't care for that. Which is what I'm getting at.

Your right. Ending it now.

1. Stardust Dragon. -28

2. Dark Magician. -14

3. Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon. -13

4. Elemental HERO Neos. -4

5. Number 39: Utopia. -2

Wow. I'm rather surprised that Utopia only got 2 votes. I figured he would've got at least a little more than that. That's just sad.

Your right. Ending it now.

1. Stardust Dragon. -28

2. Dark Magician. -14

3. Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon. -13

4. Elemental HERO Neos. -4

5. Number 39: Utopia. -2

Wow. I'm rather surprised that Utopia only got 2 votes. I figured he would've got at least a little more than that. That's just sad.

Not as surprising as you'd think. A lot of people are REALLY peeved at how Utopia was overrepresented in Zexal, considering the premise of collecting Numbers was begging for more diversity.

Yeah you're right about Utopia being overrepresented but I just figured SOME people would like Utopia. The number of people is close to no one. Stardust winning the contest really didn't surprise me as everyone loves him. Odd-Eyes being up there caught me by surprise a little as most people didn't like his design when he was first debuted. I liked how he looked generic.

• 10 months later...

I kind of like Utopia... I mean yeah, he has* so many much better Numbers, but as his ace, it's very versatile with all the forms they evolved (and in one case, devolved) it into, and its special ability made for so many awesome combos. I loved the 2v1 with Nistro and Dextra, where he used Double or Nothing! and Double Tension to change his attack name to Rising Sun Supreme Slash. That was dope.

*Middle of Zexal II over here, pls-no-spoilers.

Archived