ANCIENT POT

JamesXCx

Just saying, it's a really close namewise approximation to this card.

Generally when you would want to save your monster from attacks, you'd use cards that preferably take out the attacking monster. Even Sakuretsu Armor outclasses this by leaps and bounds, and Scrap-Iron Scarecrow is reusable and has no visible immediate downside.

...and why should I run this over stuff like Scrap-Iron Scarecrow and Mirror Force?

If you happen to don't have Mirror Force in the hand and you really need that monster on the field.

Just saying, it's a really close namewise approximation to this card.

Generally when you would want to save your monster from attacks, you'd use cards that preferably take out the attacking monster. Even Sakuretsu Armor outclasses this by leaps and bounds, and Scrap-Iron Scarecrow is reusable and has no visible immediate downside.

Oh, didn't know for that card. xD Anyway, it's still not the same. :D

So, it's a worse version of Toon Defense? I mean, I guess it would be better if both players took the damage, but I see no point in running this over something like Magic Cylinder.

Yeah, card doesn't have to be overpowered like Mirror Force, I could still find an use for Ancient Pot. :P

If you happen to don't have Mirror Force in the hand and you really need that monster on the field.

What if you don't have this card either?

Oh, didn't know for that card. xD Anyway, it's still not the same. :D

Its translated Japanese name is the same as this card's name, as I already said.

Look, we can be here all day arguing about "what if you don't have the cards you mentioned" and it still won't change the fact that it's outclassed by many other options.

As Morgan Freeman would say, "He's right, you know.". There is no logical reason to run this over any of the previously mentioned cards. Either give it a completely different effect or buff the negation effect.

Okay for everyone saying "Why would I use this over Mirror Force?" etc, answer me why would you use "Premature Burial" over "Monster Reborn"? You wouldn't, but "Premature Burial" still exists. Just because this card is worse than "Mirror Force" it doesn't mean it should be burned.

Okay for everyone saying "Why would I use this over Mirror Force?" etc, answer me why would you use "Premature Burial" over "Monster Reborn"? You wouldn't, but "Premature Burial" still exists. Just because this card is worse than "Mirror Force" it doesn't mean it should be burned.

Are you daft? Monster Reborn is forbidden. That's the only reason people run Premature Burial over it.

This card is like Dice Jar, in that there's a 1/3 chance you'll end up losing because of not only this effect, but the Gagaga Cowboy everyone runs because of effects like this.

Are you daft? Monster Reborn is forbidden. That's the only reason people run Premature Burial over it.

Isn't Premature Burial forbidden to?

There are other properties of Premature Burial that make it stand out when compared to Monster Reborn. Being an Equip means it can be searched and recycled using Hidden Armory. The little quirk in Burial's text (it only destroys the monster it equips to only when it gets destroyed) means you can return it to the hand with card effects (like Brionac) and you keep your monster, unbound, while still having Premature in hand for further plays. Conversely, search/recycle effects for Monster Reborn aren't as plentiful, going up to Magician of Faith which doesn't operate as on-demand.

Here, Ancient Pot doesn't have much that makes it stand out between many, many other cards that do its job at saving your monsters with greater efficiency. And a lot of them are Normal Traps, like Ancient Pot, which makes it difficult for the card to gain its comparative niche. Deck space is limited, after all, and the opportunity cost for running any of the alternatives over Ancient Pot is just that low.

This card is like Dice Jar, in that there's a 1/3 chance you'll end up losing because of not only this effect, but the Gagaga Cowboy everyone runs because of effects like this.

Isn't Premature Burial forbidden to?

I believe it's Limited, but not forbidden.

I'm not creating these cards for World Tournament, It's just for fun.

Neither of us create them for the World Tournament. We know it's just for fun. But fun =/= make a card with a vastly outclassed effect.

It's worse than at least 15 alternatives.

There are other properties of Premature Burial that make it stand out when compared to Monster Reborn. Being an Equip means it can be searched and recycled using Hidden Armory. The little quirk in Burial's text (it only destroys the monster it equips to only when it gets destroyed) means you can return it to the hand with card effects (like Brionac) and you keep your monster, unbound, while still having Premature in hand for further plays. Conversely, search/recycle effects for Monster Reborn aren't as plentiful, going up to Magician of Faith which doesn't operate as on-demand.

Here, Ancient Pot doesn't have much that makes it stand out between many, many other cards that do its job at saving your monsters with greater efficiency. And a lot of them are Normal Traps, like Ancient Pot, which makes it difficult for the card to gain its comparative niche. Deck space is limited, after all, and the opportunity cost for running any of the alternatives over Ancient Pot is just that low.

Yep, exactly. No one makes you use it. It's just created when you're really desperate and have no other solution. :)

I mean, no one is saying that you can't make cards that are outclassed (by the way, both Premature Burial and Monster Reborn are Forbidden. A better example would of been Twister vs MST), but it being completely outclassed is a completely valid critique. As it stands, there really isn't a reason to run this card. You could make it a Counter Trap card, then make it end the battle phase (otherwise Negate Attack outclasses it), or make both players take the damage / half the damage along with it being a Counter Trap.

Archived