Yu-gi-oh Gym Challenge

Tinkerer

Hello, fine peoples! It is I, Tinkerer, and I am here today with an idea that I'd used to do with my younger brothers. The premise is simple, Yu-Gi-Oh Gyms. Like Pokemon Gyms.

In this, there are gyms for each Yu-Gi-Oh type (except Divine-beast/Creator God) and they are separated based on Leagues (which are the attributes) with 4 types falling into the "Divine" or "Omni" league and 3 types in every other league.

Like in the earlier Pokemon games, whenever you beat a gym, you get a badge, which allows you access to previously unable-to-be-used moves, slight stat bonuses, and control of higher leveled traded pokemon. In the same way, obtaining badges in this game gives the ability to use dueling techniques that you initially cannot use and beating leagues unlocks further capabilities.

Now, with the ability to use online dueling simulators, I want to bring this game to you!

I'll need some help though. As much as I would like to run all 22 gyms myself, I know that it is not feasible. Also, I am not the most well-versed in using DN and would rather use automatic simulators such as YGOpro for this. So, my questions are... would anyone like to be a gym leader? Also, which program should be used for this endeavor?

Who will be the first to claim the title of Yu-gi-oh gym league champion?! Only time will tell!

Current Leaders + Leagues:

DIVINE/OMNI League

Plant

Machine (World's Sexiest Taco)

Spellcaster (Yemachu)

Dragon (Kotori Minami)

DARK League

Fiend (DeVille of Darkness)

Zombie (Forest Fire)

Reptile (Queen)

LIGHT League

Fairy (Wildflame)

Thunder (FinalDan)

Wyrm (Sir Yamiegg)

EARTH League

Beast (Next Tuesday)

Rock (Progenitor)

Warrior (JamesMuddy)

WIND League

Winged Beast

Psychic (T o y o)

Insect (Tyretian)

WATER League

Aqua (Cosmo.)

Fish (Lord CowCow)

Sea Serpent (Aquatic Ether Zerpant Gym Limitation: No monsters above level 5)

FIRE League

Pyro (Giga)

Dinosaur

Beast-Warrior (Immortal Chaos)

(Changes can be requested)

Restrictions (Gym Leaders):

I'll say it straight. NO Archetypes (Except for Wyrms since they can't help it) without my consent. This means you cannot use cards for archetypal benefit effects, but you can use secondary effects if they have them. If there is a specific card you want to use, just run it by this thread or me personally and I'll see. Cards like Evilswarm Exciton Knight or Lavalval Chain can be used, for example, while Stellarknight Triverr cannot.

League Gym Leaders (aside from the ones in the OMNI League) can only use 1 card on the banlist (if you use a semi-limited card, you can run 2 copies).

FIRE, WATER, WIND, and EARTH League Leaders can use all subtypes, but the extra deck is restricted to 5.

LIGHT and DARK League Leaders cannot use any subtypes except effect monsters and tuner monsters. They also cannot use Ritual monsters, and their extra deck is restricted to 10.

OMNI League Leaders can use all subtypes and can run a 15 card extra deck.

Gym Leaders are allowed to impose further gym restrictions themselves as long as they meet those same restrictions.

NOTE: League attributes do not constrict your deck's attribute. You can use other attributes (even a majority of another attribute) as long as you have the League's attribute in the deck. However, you CANNOT use Attribute boosters of a type other than your League's Attribute.

NOTE 2: In the same vein as the Attributes, types do not have to be restricted to the Gym's type. For example, the Aqua and Pyro Gyms can each run both Fire and Ice Hand. However, I advise you to be logical with your card picks and TRY to stick somewhat close to your Gym type.

Restrictions (Challengers):

Again, NO Archetypes without my consent. Rulings are the same as gym leaders.

NO Limited/Semi-Limited cards. Unless you beat all the Leagues besides OMNI.

Badge number determines how much you can do.

0 badges: you can only use effect monsters up to level 6

+3 badges: you can use effect monsters +1 level higher (beat 9 gyms = level 9 effect monsters)

Leagues beaten also determines what you can do.

0 leagues beaten: 0 cards in Extra Deck.

+2 leagues beaten: +5 cards usable in Extra Deck.

Beat FIRE League: Obtain Fusions

Beat WATER League: Obtain Rituals

Beat WIND League: Obtain Pendulums

Beat EARTH League: Obtain Union/Gemini/Spirit/Toon

Beat LIGHT League: Obtain Synchros

Beat DARK League: Obtain XYZs

Beat ALL ABOVE Leagues: Obtain the use of Limited/Semi-Limited cards

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ihop

"Dueling Techniques" refers to things such as Extra Deck monsters, Toons, Spirits, etc.  Gyms might have certain preferences, but they have more leeway than a challenger, so they can get away with using a "Dueling Technique" that the player might not have access to yet.

@JM

Sure thing!  Each of those types is in the "Omni" league though and have fairly low restrictions (ie. they are essentially part of the E4 of this game.)

Well, this sounds interesting. Though I do have a question regarding the usage of your chosen type: Are you only allowed to include monsters of that type into your Deck, or can some stray monsters of a different type be included? Futhermore, you stated something about the Attributes belonging to different leages...

In any case though, I would like to apply for the role of Spellcaster-Type Gym Leader.

Everyone's ok for the types:

Plant is in the "EARTH" league

Pyro is in the "FIRE" league

Spellcaster is in the "OMNI" league

I'll put everyone who's in in the OP as well as the deck restrictions once I get on my computer.

In answer to the questions, you CAN add monsters of different types/attributes to your Deck (Wyrm type might be a bit screwed otherwise...), but it should try to lean towards the League's Attribute/Gym Type.

@Tyretian

Do you have Chrome? I believe YGOpro is trying to do an automated system online called YGOChrome. Would that be a possibility?

Then again, YGOpro might not be used. I don't think it has a search feature or a way to choose your opponent...

They are simply duels with restrictions on both sides more than anything.  The "No Archetype" thing is more a throwback to the game before archetypes where things were a bit more fluid.  Obviously, some combos (FIRE Dinosaur, and FIRE Beast-Warrior) practically need to be archetype based to function since they practically consist of nothing but archetypal monsters, while others (LIGHT Fairy, and EARTH Rock) can be worked around more easily.

Long story short, if the No Archetype thing is a deal breaker, I'll open it up.

You might have made a slight mistake on the privileges you attain upon beating a Leage; Fusion is listed for both WIND and EARTH. Also, beating Omni does not net you any advantage.

Also, I am curious as to what is the reasoning behind specific leages' bonusses. Some seem obvious (Water has a lot of Ritual Monsters), but others seem a tad far fetched (EARTH, DARK and WIND all have more Pendulum monsters than FIRE). On a similar note, I have a feeling Wyrm is better suited for the Omni leage than some of the others listed there; most of them can suffice with a single Attribute, whereas you will need to run almost all Attributes in a Wyrm Deck. 

Futhermore, regarding limited cards, your wording is not quite clear on the usage by the omni leage; Are they exempt from using limited cards, or can they use them to their hearts content? It makes quite a difference.

@ Garland

No, challengers do not have any type/attribute restriction.  This will be a testament to both players' creativity and skill more than anything.

@Yemachu

Thanks, fixed the EARTH League bonus.  Dunno how I mixed up Toon with Fusion but whateves...

Beating OMNI is kinda for bragging rights more than anything.  Anyone would be allowed to challenge the OMNI leaders, but it wouldn't be an equal fight unless one had beaten all the other leagues prior to that one since an OMNI leader basically has no attribute/other restrictions.

The league bonuses were really rough.  I did want LIGHT to specialize in Synchros and DARK to specialize in XYZs, but I wasn't entirely sure how to put the rest together.  The league bonuses can be switched around if no one minds.

Wyrm can be put in OMNI.  I was actually thinking of switching them in there anyway and putting Spellcasters in either LIGHT or DARK.  The only reason I put Wyrms where I did is because the only thing they have focuses on Synchro Summoning, the LIGHT specialty.

To put it simply, the OMNI League has no restrictions other than No Archetypes, and use your specified type.  They have full reign over all other aspects of their deck and can build it using any legal cards.

@Lord CowCow

Hey!  This is all for the sake of good fun!  You can be a Gym Leader too if you want!  I think it is good to have a varying level of skill among the players.  Did you have a particular type in mind you'd like to use?

Archived