The Man Who Masterminds The Game - Clownblade Guide

Blake

tumblr_nkjbj6JFOL1tugdt2o1_500.gif

(Pic links to the song; Beware AAI2 spoilers if you read the comments or look the song up beyond the link)

As many of you know, I absolutely adore playing Clownblade. Given the amount I've played, another member's shock that I had yet to write this, and hoping that this will jog my desire to write, I decided to do just that.

What is Clownblade?

Clownblade is a deck that features a monster(s) used by Dennis Macfield; Entermages/Performages. Introuced in set 905: Clash of Rebellions, Performages are an "Anti-Burn" and Xyz centric Spellcaster archetype, as of now, with Pendulums coming in 906: Dimension of Chaos, and likely Fusion Monsters in the future. Combined with some cards introduced in 901: The Duelist Advent (Japan) or World Superstars (TCG), a solid Rank 4 Engine is formed, giving Clownblade a lot of places to be used.

As such, this allows the decktype to meld into a fair number of places, and the deck's main engine can vary in size from a mere 2 cards to 13 cards, not to mention techs, so you can choose just how much you do with the engine.

Please note, this is made from a prospective TCG standpoint, and as such, "DNCG" and OCG will only be briefly touched upon, and with less input than the others.

I will also focus on a specific variant of Clownblade, as I have minimal experience with other variants beyond knowledge of the idea behind them. If members would like to help me out wih sample Decklists and info for notable variants, I would be much obliged.

[spoiler=Performages]

300px-PerformageDamajuggler-CORE-JP-C.pn

Performage Damajuggler

During either player's turn, when a card or effect that would inflict damage to you is activated: You can discard this card; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. During either player's Battle Phase: You can discard this card; reduce the next battle damage you would take this turn to 0. You can banish this card from your Graveyard; add 1 "Performage" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Performage Damajuggler". You can only use this effect of "Performage Damajuggler" once per turn.

The first card in the article that revealed the relase of the Performages, it looked like an "okay" start. It's a Kuriboh, an anti-burn, and a searcher, all in one, and it's actually pretty good. Eating damage is very important in this deck, as it keeps your deck going, and being able to knock out Cowboy and the like is just a cherry on top. Realistically, the worst use is discarding it in your own BP2 to search in MP2, akin to Bujingi Peacock.

It really depends on what build it's going into, so run anywhere from 0 to 3, with preference also accounted for.

300px-PerformageFlameater-CORE-JP-R.png

Performage Flameater

During either player's turn, when a card or effect that would inflict damage to you is activated (except during the Damage Step): You can activate this effect; you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except "Performage" monsters, also Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, you take no damage from that card or effect. If Summoned this way, banish this card when it leaves the field. If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Both players take 500 damage.

Another card revealed in the initial batch of 4, it's... got cute art that makes me think of Kirby and maybe Mario? The Performage restriction on its self-summon kills it, or it could have been a cute tech. Sure, it's a searchable means to burn both players for 5, but the anime version straight-up took the burn, and this guy can still kill you if you're low enough.

Run 0.

300px-PerformageTricklown-CORE-JP-C.png

Performage Tricklown

If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 "Performage" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it, but change its ATK and DEF to 0, then you take 1000 damage. You can only use this effect of "Performage Tricklown" once per turn.

While the deck was pre-emptively referred to as "Clowns", at least here on YCM, this is the guy that puts the "Clown" in "Clownblade". Tricklown is an infinitely recurring level 4 LIGHT Spellcaster, for just 1000 a pop. Beginning to see why LP is so important here? Not much else to say here, given the self-explanatory effect, but I will say that it can dead draw, and you usually only need to find 1.

Run 1-2, between build and preference.

300px-PerformageHatricker-CORE-JP-C.png

Performage Hatricker

If there are 2 or more monsters on the field, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). During either player's turn, when a card or effect that would inflict damage to you is activated (except during the Damage Step): You can place 1 Performage Counter on this card (max. 3), then reduce that damage to 0. After the 3rd Performage Counter is placed on this card, this card's ATK and DEF become 3300.

One of two that were unknown until CORE hit, this card is a generic self-summoner if either player has devoted at all. While you'll never get 3 counters on it, the anti-burn can be great for free Tricklowning, especially in the late game. It also shines in one particular variant.

Run 0-3, build and preference.

300px-PerformageStiltshooter-CORE-JP-R.p

Performage Stiltshooter

If there are no monsters on the field, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand), but you cannot Normal Summon monsters for the rest of this turn. During either player's turn, when a card or effect that would inflict damage to your opponent is activated while there is a "Performage" monster other than this card in your Graveyard (except during the Damage Step): You can banish this card from your Graveyard; inflict 2000 damage to your opponent. You can only use this effect of "Performage Stiltshooter" once per turn.

The other card that was unknown until release is... a black sheep. Its only usage is a pretty poor "Performage Burn" deck. Maybe it'll be better if the deck gets a Rank 6...?

Run 0.

PerformageHigurumi-DOCS-JP-OP.png

Performage Higurumi (or, as I like to call it with the JP pun accounted for, Flamascot)

Pendulum Effect: If a face-up "Performage" monster(s) you control is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can Special Summon this card from your Pendulum Zone, then take 500 damage. You can only use this effect of "Performage Higurumi" once per turn.

Monster Effect: If this card on the field is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can Special Summon 1 "Performage" monster from your hand or Deck, except "Performage Higurumi".

There isn't a ton to say here, as this is the only pendulum monster we know atm, so we don't know the capabilities of Pendulum here. That said, barring a pre-release text edit, this card is actually absurd, given the existence of Dracoslayer/Dragoknight Luster Pendulum, as it triggers the monster effect while finding another of this guy.

Run unkown, lots of potential.

300px-PerformageTrapezeMagician-CORE-JP-

Performage Trapeze Magician

2 Level 4 Spellcaster-Type monsters

You take no damage less than or equal to this card's ATK. Once per turn, during either player's Main Phase 1: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 other face-up Attack Position monster on the field; it can make a second attack during each Battle Phase this turn, but destroy it at the end of the Battle Phase. If this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, or if this card in your possession is destroyed by an opponent's card effect and sent to your Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 "Performage" monster from your Deck.

The 3rd card of the initial batch, Trapeze is an OTKing machine. It protect you from ALL damage that's 2500 or less, turns a monster into a Kamikaze double attacker (Sadly, only targets turn players' monsters. The text doesn't specify that, for some reason), and floats into a Performage from the deck when it dies. Tricklown can revive him, which comes in handy for not having a clear board.

Run 1, 2 is fine if you somehow have the space.

300px-BarrierBubble-CORE-JP-C.png

Barrier Bubble

Each turn, the first time each "Performapal" and "Performage" monster you control would be destroyed by battle or card effect, it is not destroyed. You take no battle damage from attacks involving "Performapal" or "Performage" monsters you control.

Final card of the first batch, and it's... Bleh. Only Trapeze and, sometimes, Tricklown, so it doesn't give you the protection enough, and it's a less than optimal draw, so no point in running it.

Run 0.

300px-TrickBox-CORE-JP-C.png

Trick Box

If an "Performage" monster(s) you control is destroyed by battle or card effect and sent to the Graveyard: Target 1 monster your opponent controls; take control of it until the End Phase, then Special Summon 1 "Performage" monster from your Graveyard to your opponent's side of the field, but control of it returns to its owner during the End Phase.

It's a gimmicky trap that, based on what we established with Barrier Bubble, is hardly going to be live. Plus, have to lose a monster for it, which sucks. At least you can set it off yourself if you, idk, make Scrap Dragon. I'd say Ignister, given the Pendulums in DOCS, but it has to have the monster hit the grave to use it, so yeah.

Run 0.

[spoiler=Heroic Challengers]
There are far too many irrelevant HCs to cover, so I only covered the two that matter right here

300px-HeroicChallengerAssaultHalberd-WSU

Level 4 Cydra, piercing, and searches a HC card when it damages the opp. All-around solid card that makes getting started easier, not a lot to say.

Run 0, 2, or 3, build and pref.

300px-HeroicChallengerThousandBlades-WSU

And here's the "Blade" in Clownblade. Each time you summon Tricklown, this guy also summons itself from the Grave, meaning you get a free R4 off of a Clown. While this, obviously, can be used offensively, it's mostly a floating tactic, though it puts in more work with one particular build. Beware, it does not get along with Trapeze or Hatricker's burn eating. Also a worse draw than Tricklown.

Run 1-2, highly recommend 1.

[spoiler=Decktypes/Engines]

As I said at the start, I don't have a ton of experience with most of these, so I'll go over them in short detail.

300px-StarSeraphScepter-WSUP-EN-PScR-1E.300px-StarSeraphSovereignty-WSUP-EN-PScR

Stick is funking broken YGOs. A searcher, a good body, and a +2 effect when used for a 3-Mat Xyz? Hell yeah! This card does way too much, and it really synergizes with Clownblade. Clownblade-S(eraph) is where Hatricker really shines.

Chair, however... is a mediocre card attached to a broken card and combo. That's about all it does, as the 3+ Mat restriction hurts, and the 3 mats tend to not be lucrative without stick. I know ihop is trying 2 chair out, but I'm not sure if I like it or not, as it makes the wombo combo less common.

This engine is a bit of an oddity, as it's one of the only true power engines in YGO. Where Clownblade gives these guys consistency, Seraphs give decks the ability to make massive momentum swings. Stick + Chair is a 3-mat that popped 1 and drew 2 cards. That's a +2, and if you used Delteros, Stick's pop/draw can't be responded to.

Run 3 Stick, and 2-3 Chair.

300px-ShaddollHedgehog-DUEA-EN-C-1E.png300px-ElShaddollConstruct-DUEA-EN-UR-1E.300px-ShaddollFusion-DUEA-EN-SR-1E.png300px-ElShaddollFusion-NECH-EN-SR-LE.png

This build gives Shaddolls more OTKing possibilities and increased ability to R4. For example, Shaddoll Fusion while the opp controls a monster from the Extra dumps Hedgehog + Tricklown. Clown revives, Construct sends w/e, and Hedge finds a level 4 Doll. NS the doll, Clown+Doll=Trapeze, 25 + 28 + 28. If you have 1 more attack or a way to remove the opp's monster(s), you win.

You can also dump Damajuggler and use it to find a Hatricker, but that needs more investment. 

The flaw with this build is space, as both the Main AND the Extra Deck are tight for dolls.

Also, unlike other Clownblade variants, you don't use the support cards that are listed later, for the most part.

I don't know much more about the build, but I believe Rod/Klav know some more, and probably know the Clown/Blade ratios, though I assume it's just 1 clown 1 blade. Don't quote me on that.

300px-GemKnightGarnet-HA05-EN-SR-UE.png300px-GemKnightSeraphinite-HA07-EN-SR-1E300px-UnexpectedDai-CROS-EN-SR-1E.png300px-BrilliantFusion-CORE-JP-C.png

Brilliant Fusion

When this card is activated: Fusion Summon 1 "Gem-Knight" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters from your Deck as Fusion Materials, but change its ATK and DEF to 0. When this card leaves the field, destroy that monster. Once per turn: You can discard 1 Spell Card; the monster Special Summoned by this effect gains ATK and DEF equal to its original ATK and DEF, until the end of your opponent's turn. You can only activate 1 "Brilliant Fusion" per turn.

Brilliant Fusion was shown at the same time as Tricklown, and for good reason. This variant makes it so that most any Brillian Fusion hand can spit out 8000+ damage and end the game ASAP. Cards like Gagaga Samurai and Number 80: Rhapsody in Berserk really shine here, as this deck bursts due to the extra Normal Summon. Some builds tech Star Drawing to make Tiras.

The drawback of this build is the lower consistency, though the power is massive if it rolls. It's also better in the OCG, as there is more to do with it, such as Naturias and Trishula.

I believe ratios are like 2-3 Garnet, 1-2 Dai, and 3 Brilliant Fusion. Koko would know more.

There are other variants, but I'll just briefly touch on them later, as they're not TCG relevant, and won't be for a while.

[spoiler=Supporting/Other Cards]

300px-Kagetokage-NUMH-EN-SR-1E.png

A generic summon supporter that's searchable. While its inability to be NSd hurts, it's rarely a major drawback, and th speed it gives to the early game is vital, as this + Blades/Clown means you're set for the entire game, pretty much.

Run 2-3.

300px-InariFire-CBLZ-EN-C-1E.png300px-NefariousArchfiendEaterofNefarious300px-Jigabyte-SECE-EN-C-1E.png

These 3 all have 2 effects in common; you can only control 1 of each, and you can SS them from the hand if you control a Spellcaster. Given Tricklown, they're going to be pretty live. They each add a unique element to the deck, as well.

Inari Fire has some synergy with Trapeze, and it's a 200DEF FIRE for an OCG variant called "RekindlingBlade".

NAEoN allows you to clear dead Xyz/monsters in order to continue playing, while also potentially setting Tricklown off in the process.

Jigabyte is a reptile, and it has synergy with Trapeze/can be set if you run 1-2 of the others. Do note that it misses timing, though.

I'd only run 1 of each, if even. Jigabyte seems like the best one, which you could run over your third Kagetokage, considering it can be NSd, and Nefarious is neat as well.

300px-Juragedo-DPBC-EN-SR-1E.png

Juragdo is a hand trap that also heals you and aids in OTKing. The +1000 LP is a free Tricklown or IF, it can block direct attacks or buff something (say, Lavalval Chain) by 1000 to block attacks, and it can help you set up early, with a similar window of using it to Damajuggler, which is better than not setting up at all. It's just stronger but less versatile Jugglers... that heals you.

Run 3.

300px-ElderEntityNorden-EP14-JP-SR.png300px-InstantFusion-AP02-EN-C-UE.png

Elder Entity Norden

1 Synchro or Xyz Monster + 1 Synchro or Xyz Monster
When this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 Level 4 or lower monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it, but its effects are negated. When this card leaves the field, banish that target.

It's Norden. He's stupidly good, especially in Clownblade-S. Just remember to keep an eye on your health.

Run 2 Norden, 3 IF.

300px-ReinforcementoftheArmy-SDHS-EN-C-1

Don't run this. Halberd finds more Halberds/Blades, Blades is meh in hand bar T1, and things like Photon Thrasher or Goblindbergh are not worth it, especially the latter in Clownblade-S.

Run 0.

300px-FoolishBurial-DPBC-EN-R-1E.png

Run it. Duuuuh.

300px-WonderWand-BP03-EN-C-1E.png

An acceptable tech that tends to be Pot of Greed early, and draw power via Hatricker late. Can also mak Trapeze 3000.

Run 0-2.

300px-CalloftheHaunted-YS15-EN-C-1E-D.pn300px-OasisofDragonSouls-NECH-EN-R-1E.pn

Stick, Seraphinite, Norden, recirculating Tricklown, Juragedo, Trapeze, it goes on and on. Does a lot of good for the deck.

Run 3 Call, consider 0-1 Oasis.

300px-FiendishChain-LC5D-EN-ScR-1E.png300px-BreakthroughSkill-BP03-EN-C-1E.png

Run 2 of one of these depending on what you're scared of.

Scared of damage? Fiendish Chain.

Scared of Winda? Breakthrough Skill.

I am personally more scared of damage, given how fast your life drains, but Winda can be a jabroni to get over. There's also MST to consider, so there is a decent amount of thought to put into your choice.

300px-MindCrush-LCYW-EN-UR-1E.png

Moreso a PSA given this card's power nowadays, though this deck is great at finding monsters to refill your hand. 

Run 2-3.

[spoiler=Notable Xyz]

300px-LavalvalChain-PGL2-EN-GUR-1E.png

It's basically an insanly good searcher in every way.

Have: Clown/Blade + Kagetokage/Halberd/Instant Fusion
Put both monsters on board.
Overlay into Chain #1, detach Clown/Blade, send Blade/Clown.
Clown revives, Blade revives.
Overlay into Chain #2, detach Blades to send Stick/Damajuggler or stack Stick.
Optional: Search Hatricker with Damajuggler

That can end differently, but it's very easy to just get and stay set up. It makes the Seraphs more consistent and speedy, gives you setup, and is just all around a stupidly strong card.

Run 2 in Clownblade-S, run at least 1 in anything else.

300px-KingoftheFeralImps-MP14-EN-C-1E.pn

2300, finds Kagetokage. If you run them, you can also find a Jigabyte or a teched Performapal Whip Snake (Djinn/Winda out).

300px-DiamondDireWolf-BP03-EN-SHR-1E.png300px-NumberF0UtopicFuture-WSUP-EN-PScR-

Both clear up board space, but given the fact you'll likely only have room for 1, Dire Wolf is also removal. Utopic Future removes dead Lavalvals and the like, but doesn't do as much.

Run 1 of one or the other.

300px-StellarknightConstellarDiamond-SEC300px-TellarknightPtolemaeus-CROS-EN-UR-

Simply put, these 2 win the matchup against Dolls and BA, for the most part. It's not guaranteed, but they make the matchups infinitely easier, and allow you to punish your opponent at times. Ptolemaeus also gives you the option to tech cards like Tiras/Zenmaioh/Durendal/etc., though space tends to be too tight.

In Clownblade-S, you can make a 3-mat Ptolemaeus for Stick/Chair abuse AND split second evolving to punish your opp during their turn.

300px-EvilswarmOuroboros-HA07-EN-ScR-1E.300px-BujinkiAmaterasu-PRIO-EN-ScR-1E.pn300px-StellarknightDelteros-DUEA-EN-ScR-

The TCG's 3-material R4 trinity.

Ouroboros is a versatile monster with 3 strong effects, despite being a single-shot each. It's a 3-mat with 2750, which is reasonably large, which means Stick abuse can shine with him. He's probably has the most raw power of the three, and can be used to push for game with just a trapeze by its side for 25 + 27.5 + 27.5 = 80. He's also the most vulnerable.

Amaterasu is best friends with Damajuggler, which is another reason that Seraphs and Clowns get along so well. This gives you another good 3-Mat that restores advantage, regardless of if she dies or not. She makes a lot of easy OTKs with Trapeze as well, as it's 25 + 26 + 26, then she can get a Damajuggler back for 15 more, hopefully. If she had to get Juggler back to MAKE Trapeze, that's still only 300 short, which means not much is needed to win.

Delteros is THE safest of the three, given his protection effect, which has absurd synergy with Stick. It can also evolve into Diamond, giving you more than one avenue with which to do so. Tends to be the weakest of the three, but good for turns with a lot of plays, as he's safe to summon and, optimally, removes 2 things.

Run 1 each.

300px-Number80RhapsodyinBerserk-AP06-EN-300px-GagagaSamurai-WSUP-EN-SR-1E.png

Relevant to Clownblade-G(em-Knight), these two give the deck extra avenues to OTK, as they're a combined 6200 in their own rights. Some variants, like Clownblade-S, lack the room for Samurai for sure, and have to decide if there's room for 80 or not as they build.

Run 1 Samurai in Clownblade-G, 0 elsewhere.
Run 1 80 in Clownblade-G, 0-1 elsewhere.

[spoiler=OCG/"DNCG"]
Again, keeping this very brief.

300px-DragodeustheEmpoweredWarrior-CORE-300px-AethertheWickedEmpoweringDragon-CO300px-DragonoxtheEmpoweredWarrior-CORE-J300px-EmpoweringArmory-CORE-JP-C.png

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Empowered

OCG uses these WPs as a pendulum engine to go with Clownblade, which makes RotA fine here. Now imagine when the deck gets its own Pendulums, as it is.

300px-MinervaLightswornSaint-CORE-JP-SR.

Minerva, Lightsworn Saint

2 Level 4 monsters
You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard, then draw 1 card for each "Lightsworn" card sent to the Graveyard by this effect. If this card is destroyed by battle, or if this card in your possession is destroyed by an opponent's card effect: You can send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard, then you can destroy cards on the field, up to the number of "Lightsworn" cards sent to the Graveyard by this effect. You can only use each effect of "Minerva, Lightsworn Saint" once per turn.

In 905:CORE, the same set as the Performages, we got this gem for Lightsworn. As such, LS now tend to run Clownblade as an engine to accelerate making (multiples of) Minerva, as she speeds the deck up a funking ton.

300px-CyberDragonNova-SDCR-EN-UR-1E.png300px-CyberDragonInfinity-CROS-JP-UtR.pn

Cyber Dragon Infinity

3 Level 6 LIGHT Machine-Type monsters
You can also Xyz Summon "Cyber Dragon Infinity" once per turn by using a "Cyber Dragon Nova" you control as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.) This card gains 200 ATK for each Xyz Material attached to it. Once per turn: You can target 1 other face-up Attack Position monster on the field; attach it to this card as a face-up Xyz Material. Once per turn, during either player's turn, when a card or effect is activated: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it.

This gem was released 1 set before Clownblade was born. Given this thing's existence, OCG build do/did have a way of spitting this out ASAP.

300px-Number16ShockMaster-CT09-EN-SR-LE.

Alive and well in the OCG.

300px-NaturiaBeast-PGL2-EN-GUR-1E.png300px-NaturiaBarkion-PGL2-EN-GUR-1E.png300px-TrishulaDragonoftheIceBarrier-HA04

OCG Clownblade-G sometimes runs these, to my knowledge. Assuming Re-Cover or something.

[spoiler=Sample Build(s)]

[spoiler=Clownblade-S]
Monsters:

3 Assault Halberd
3 Hatricker 
3 Juragedo
3 Stick
2-3 Kagetokage
2-3 Chair
2 Tricklown
2 Damajuggler
1 Thousand Blades

0-1 Jigabyte

Spells:
3 Instan Fusion
1 Foolish Burial

1 Raigeki
0-1 Wonder Wand

Traps:
3 Call of the Haunted
3 Mind Crush
2 Fiendish Chain
1 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Vanity's Emptiness
0-2 Mirror Force (Over either Wand/Oasis or Chair/Oasis)
0-1 Oasis of Dragon Souls

Feel free to give tips, concerns, sample builds, etc.

I don't know much more about the build, but I believe Rod/Klav know some more, and probably know the Clown/Blade ratios, though I assume it's just 1 clown 1 blade. Don't quote me on that.

Yeah, you run 1 Thousand Blades and 1 Clown. It's more than enough since even though you don't run Chain there, you run 3 Shaddoll Fusion which is just Foolish Burial on crack if you look at it that way. If you want a sample list of this, Rodrigo posted the one he used in the YCMCS, although I think I made a few fixes to it. I'll get back to you when I check.

EDIT: Also Blade/Doll/Seraph list sounds kinda interesting.

I've seen Inari appear in the Deck before, and I remember you mentioning Eater. Jigabyte, tho.... Eater has the best synergy, IMO, and giving it a searcher, Jiga, seems pretty amusing.

I could give you a decklist for a Spirit variant of Clowns.dek that I made once, which has some pretty hilarious synergy, but... It's Spirits, and they ultimately suck/held the rest of the Deck back.

Right now, I wouldn't. We're still coming off Secret Village hype so Nekroz players will all be prepared for Nat Beast, and it's a pretty crappy card a lot of the time that you don't have ED space for and it's not enough of a blowout against Nekroz right now to consider.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived