[Striker][Written] Soul Guardian

Soul Guardian
LIGHT
Warrior/Xyz/Effect
2800/2000
2 Level 6 monsters
You can only control 1 "Soul Guardian". You can also Xyz Summon this card using a Rank 4 or 5 Xyz Monster you control that hasn't activated its effect this turn as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.) If a monster you control is targeted by an opponent's card effect: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target that card; send that target to the Graveyard, and if you do, Special Summon 1 monster from your Graveyard in Defense Position.

Probably a bit too extreme of an example of something I would make for the current round of the Postseason. Probably too many restrictions tbh, but that's why I come here. Anyway, CnC?

I don't get why I'd want to summon this. It's no stronger than a normal rank 4. Using a rank 4 as an overlay provides no advantage as it can still only use its effect once regardless. Furthermore, even after I have summoned it, it has no inherent protection and its effect is entirely reliant on your opponent blowing your stuff up that isn't this. Why would I ever want to not go 101/Castel/Exciton/Utopia/Cowboy, all of which can help me immediately, and instead go for this, which can't really do anything at all. And then on top of that, if summoned normally, it blows itself up after use? I'm sorry but I just don't see the point.

All valid points, tbh. Though, giving suggestions is something you lacked it. Would making it use 1 mat for its effect work better, or would that make it too strong? Also, I could make it a "would be targeted...you can destroy that card" tradeoff instead of what it is currently. I do see that the last clause is unneeded. And if you are wondering, it has those stats since it is a restricted Monster Reborn...

Archived