• 1 month later...

[spoiler=So, the movie's out, and I've seen it.]Absolutely fantastic, fun, hilarious film. Ryan Renolds freaking destroyed it as Deadpool. XMO: Wolverine and Green Lantern are a thing of the past.

I really enjoyed the way they did the origin story through pieces of flashbacks amidst the Deadpool chaos, it was nice to see things start off with good action. Also, the intro credits where they didn't actually list any names and instead had things like "Asshat" or "Gratuitous Cameo" was great.

My favorite scene was probably where he was going around attacking Francis's guys to find his whereabouts, and was gonna run down the one guy with a Zamboni. Also, all the scenes with the cab driver guy were hilarious. I enjoyed the various references both to other Marvel series as well as Ryan Renold's past (the "Sexiest Man Alive" magazine from a few years back, the Green Lantern picture in the guy's wallet, the action figure that looked like Deadpool from XMO:Wolverine, etc.)

I haven't seen any X-Men movies before this so I don't know what he was like in those, but I really enjoyed Colossus in this movie. Negasonic Teenage Warhead (which is an awesome hero name) was awesome as well. I liked the changes they gave her from the comics, where she was a telepath who basically just foresaw her own death(s) and the deaths of a lot of other people. Just an incredibly minor side character who was made awesome in this movie. Like a female Cannonball.

Stan Lee's cameo has the DJ at a strip club was great, one of my favorite cameos right up there with Amazing Spider-Man's. The movie had a good amount of 4th wall breaking, but not too much. Same with the action, it was ridiculous enough to be awesome and befitting of Deadpool (like when the guy gets decapitated by the motorcycle chain and the other guy gets slung and squishes against the highway sign) but not overly ridiculous. The Ferris Bueller reference with the post-credits scene was nice, too. Good to hear we're getting Cable if there's ever a sequel.

9/10. Maybe 9.5/10. I really want to see a sequel.

One of the things that surprised me when thinking about the movie after the fact is how much of it is the origin story. Like, I was expecting more action scenes for some reason, but it had a surprising amount of down time. Not that this is bad thing. Super enjoyable. Don't know a TON about Deadpool, but it really seemed to do a great job capturing his character. 

Also, it is very weird how many younger kids were in the movie. Like, I had one sitting next to me and was like, this really isn't a movie you bring a 12 year old to. 

Don't know a TON about Deadpool, but it really seemed to do a great job capturing his character.

[spoiler=Regarding Deadpool's character.]I agree that the movie did really well in capturing his character, though of course things aren't as in-depth and ever so slightly different because of the medium as a movie vs comic books, so since you don't know a ton about Deadpool, a quick explanation:

In the movie Wade seemed to simply keep his gallows humor from before he became Deadpool to after, though in the comics he more started the humor to help keep himself sane during all the torture and stuff once he signed up for all the experiments. Also, the Deadpool name came from the dead pool of him and his fellow inmates where the Weapon X guys held him, not the bar shown in the movie.

At first the experiments done on him seemed to fail, disfiguring his body and making him mentally unstable. His healing factor doesn't actually kick in until later after lots of torture and an execution by the Weapon X guys, where he finally snaps and becomes as insane as he is as Deadpool (which is why he knows he's a comic book character and frequently breaks the 4th wall, among other things).

Regarding his cancer, his healing factor in reality is only keeping his cancer at an equilibrium because the regenerative properties of it are on par with the degenerative properties of his cancer which itself was sped up by the activation of his healing factor. He actually needs both his cancer and healing factor to live, as one or the other on its own would kill him as he'd either die of cancer or die from excessive cellular regeneration because his healing factor is so strong (a couple examples, at one point the skrulls copy his DNA to gain his healing factor, but they don't have his cancer so they kind of explode from too much cell multiplication, and at one point Wade is cured of both his cancer and healing factor, but his healing factor later returns and he has to get cancer again so he doesn't die). Deadpool's healing factor is actually one of the most OP ones out of all Marvel characters, better than even guys like Wolverine (where his healing factor was actually derived from, as Wolverine was also created by Weapon X) and Hulk.

Also, it is very weird how many younger kids were in the movie. Like, I had one sitting next to me and was like, this really isn't a movie you bring a 12 year old to.

Well, young kids have been going to R rated movies they have no business going to for ages. This one is no exception, especially since it's a "superhero" movie.

EDIT: [spoiler=Also, TIL...]Bob, that henchman guy from the final part of the movie that Deadpool recognized and then knocked out instead of killing, in the comics he's a former Hydra agent who occasionally acts as Deadpool's sidekick. Neat.

Also, it's just occurred to me that Deadpool made that Subway Jared crack about the recruiter guy because when he had met him before he made jokes about him being a pedophile. Ouch.

better than even guys like Wolverine (where his healing factor was actually derived from, as Wolverine was also created by Weapon X

I assume it is just weird wording, but Wolverine's mutation is natural. All Striker did was add the metal and funk up his memories. His mutation was then transplanted into Wade by the Canadian branch of Weapon X

Despite being... terrible, Wolverine was pretty accurate as an origin story (up until all that deadpool bullshit)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived