[Striker][Written] Gatekeeper Imps (5/?)

Nathanael D. Striker

Inspired by a recent Skype chat, I bring you the F-Gates- Level 1 monsters with minor floodgate effects that can send themselves to the Graveyard to bring out another. With that, let's get this going.

[spoiler=Main Deck]
[spoiler=Monsters]
Gatekeeper Imp Albatross
DARK
Fiend/Effect
200/1600
(1) You can only control 1 "Gatekeeper Imp" monster. (2) Whenever a card would be added to hand by a card effect, except by drawing, it is set on the field instead. (3) During either player's turn: You can send this card you control to the Graveyard; Special Summon 1 "Gatekeeper Imp" monster from your Deck, and if you do, it cannot use its (3) effect during the turn you activate this effect.

Gatekeeper Imp Betalross
DARK
Fiend/Effect
0/1800
(1) You can only control 1 "Gatekeeper Imp" monster. (2) During the turn a monster is Summoned, it cannot declare an attack or use its effect. (3) During either player's turn: You can send this card you control to the Graveyard; Special Summon 1 "Gatekeeper Imp" monster from your Deck, and if you do, it cannot use its (3) effect during the turn you activate this effect.

Gatekeeper Imp Deuteros

DARK

Fiend/Effect

100/1700

(1) You can only control 1 "Gatekeeper Imp" monster. (2) Whenever a card would be sent to the Graveyard by a card effect, it is banished instead. (3) During either player's turn: You can send this card you control to the Graveyard; Special Summon 1 "Gatekeeper Imp" monster from your Deck, and if you do, it cannot use its (3) effect during the turn you activate this effect.

[spoiler=Spells]
Order of the Gatekeepers
Field Spell
(1) Once per turn, if a Spell/Trap Card would activate that would destroy a Level 1 monster(s) you control: You can negate that activation, and if you do, destroy that card. (2) Whenever a monster is Summoned, change it to Defense Position, and if you do, it cannot change its battle position until its controller's next Main Phase 1. (3) During either player's turn: You can destroy this card; Special Summon 1 "Gravekeeper Imp" monster from your Deck, and if you do, it cannot use its (3) effect during the turn you activate this effect.

[spoiler=Traps]
None Currently

[spoiler=Extra Deck]

[spoiler=Xyz Monsters]

Gatekeeper Imp Manuka

DARK

Fiend/Xyz/Effect

600/2000

2 Level 1 monsters

(1) If you control no monsters, you can also Xyz Summon this card by attaching 2 "Gatekeeper Imp" monsters from your Graveyard to this card, and if you do, those Xyz Materials are banished when detached. (2) You can only control 1 "Gatekeeper Imp" monster. (3) Each player can only Special Summon 1 monster per turn. (4) During either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; shuffle 1 "Gatekeeper Imp" monster from your Graveyard into your Deck, and if you do, draw 1 card. (5) When this card has no Xyz Materials: You can send this card to the Graveyard: Special Summon 1 banished "Gatekeeper Imp" Effect Monster, and if you do, it cannot use its (3) effect during the turn you activate this effect.

Hmm interesting concept.

They seem like a strong deck to limit your opponent's plays, with the power to potentially summon monsters that are more convenient to a certain situation.

However, these samples are lacking some more clarification on their effs. Like, from where can they be sent in order to use the (3) effect?

Alpha's eff also breaks some rules in this game. There are cards that can be put in the Main Deck but cant be set(Rituals and Special Summon monsters) unless you summon them the way its stated on their effects before.

Id suggest you to put a ",except Ritual and Special Summon monsters" in that effect. (btw thats not official grammar. its kinda difficult to fix it since theres no reference from similar cards in the game)

Another thing. Itd be better for alpha if he could only set cards that are added by a card effect(except by drawing). It feels less nutty this way.

Albatross is awesome. 

It makes any searcher into a Special Summon from the Deck. Granted, face-down, but still. I'd totally One for One into it, or run Where Art Though.

I wonder how I'd fair with a Gladiator Beast Contact Fusion turbo build with this, or a Neos one.

Though it mostly helps those kinds of casual decks like Ghostricks and maybe some obscure FLIP plays. 

Then you can just turn it into another member of the archetype. Now let's see what they all are.

Betalross makes for a pretty good follow-up. You do your thing during your turn and just turn into stall mode during the opponent's. Whenever you don't want it you can just tag again into something from the Deck like another copy of Albatross for example, or bottom line you can Xyz with it. There is no real downside. It might even probably be too good. There's a non-searchable Continuous Trap called Lose 1 Turn, which was a pretty relevant ground-breaking 30 dollar meta card last time I checked, and it is essentially your monster, but your monster is more flexible in your favor.

Deuteros isn't on the same level of power since it needs effects to be the ones responsible for the Grave-touching of cards in order to banish. Definitely no Dark Law (which is a good thing) but I'd need to see it on practice though. It could turn out to be better than expected.

If I'm not mistaken, Kaiser Colosseum doesn't let a single monster be Tribute Summoned by Tributing your own monster when your opponent controls a single monster too. So the Xyz would be unable to use any materials from your archetype from the field for its Xyz Summon because you are not allowed to even attempt to Summon another Gatekeeper so long as they hold the "you can only control 1" restriction. This is neither good or bad, but more a "just so you know" comment. You have it covered by the alternate way to Xyz Summon it there and by the fact it is generic in its materials.

I don't know though how you Special Summon a banished monster from the Deck. I suppose you mean a monster from the Deck whose name is that of one of the already banished ones.... It takes a while to figure out, and music on this end of the computer doesn't let me concentrate enough to write down a potential alternate lore. Just pointing that out xD

Overall it is an interesting strategy.

Mugen and I talked about Albatross before I even started it (we were talking about minor floodgates). Dark Simorgh + Albatross wreaks Nekroz's spell searching. And for the typo on the Xyz, from your Deck wasn't supposed to be there iirc. Also, thanks for your comments Sleepy. I enjoyed making these, and these will be my project when I have free time. XD

Archived