Hino-Kagu-Tsuchi and Yamata Dragon

300px-HinoKaguTsuchiRP02-EN-SR-UE.jpg300px-YamataDragon-RP02-EN-R-UE.jpg

Hino:

This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card returns to its owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn it is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up. If this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent, they discard all cards in their hand during the next Draw Phase, before they draw.

Yamata Dragon:

This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card returns to its owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn it is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent, draw cards until you have 5 cards in your hand.

So these 2 monsters. They have seriously awesome effects, but are let down by their inability to be Special Summoned, the risk/difficulty involved in activating their effects, and the fact they just return to your hand in the End Phase. In a Spirit monster deck, they work nicely with Aratama and Nikitama, but you still need other Tribute fodder and/or cards such as The Monarchs Stormforth, Card Advance etc for you to be able to summon it.

So that got me thinking: Would using one or both of these, maybe along with some Aratama to search them, be worth it in a Pendulum Monster deck? Pendulums are able to provide easily re-summonable Tribute fodder, which helps get around them returning to your hand in the End Phase. Of course, you still need to clear the way of Mirror Forces, Bottomless Trap Holes etc. for them to use their effects, but if you do they could be seriously good, with Hino obliterating your opponent's hand and Yamata recovering your hand after Pendulum Summoning stuff.

Any thoughts? Would it be worth it? Or would it simply be less effective than going into an Xyz or something?

I remember playing Hino-Kagu in Frog Monarchs back in the day. It wasn't difficult to summon at all, you just needed to draw a Swap Frog to set it up. Hino-Kagu is definitely the better of the two because resolving it can win you the game there and then.

I remember when Yamata was a fun tech in Dragon Rulers when the rulers were at 3. Not amazing, but it+Dracossack was pretty nice.

i remember that , its pretty funny hitting opponent with yamata, then get more card with super rejuv at EP XD

the thing is in spirit deck your monster tend to return to hand,so chance are you will have several cards in hand most of the time, so it wont get easy to reap maximum plus with yamata

hino kagu tsuchi is better for a spirit deck's boss monster, since unless you're running darkworlds or shaddoll, hand wipe will hurts, it has better stat too, 2800 are high enough to ram most R4/Lv7-8

Hino-Kagu is definitely the better of the two because resolving it can win you the game there and then.

I agree, although I feel that Yamata Dragon could be equally good in a Pendulum Monster deck if you are spitting your hand onto the Field by Pendulum Summoning.

[spoiler=It's also pretty awesome when things like this happen]ZT1ewSK.png

I always LOVED them. But they were difficult to really use well. Pendulum gave a bit of a boost to all the other Summon mechanics to a degree (Xyz, Synchro, Tribute particularly).

Hino got a lot of love years ago, I remember, because emptying a players' hand was REALLY good, and Mausoleum let you drop it on a whim. This was back in the days of Cyber Dragon and Don Zaloog, and Spirit Reaper being staples. Maybe a little later than that, since Enemy of Justice or Power of the Duelist had Mausoleum.

And I remember Yamata got love during the D-Ruler age due to being a FIRE Dragon.

I think the struggle I always had with Yamata was that it was hard to get its effect off consecutively, because you'd draw to 5 cards and if you drew too many monsters among them, next turn you probably wouldn't be able to empty your hand sufficiently enough to get a good boost from Yamata again. But that's a petty complaint at best.

Spirits lost the ability to freely add BLS to the hand. So BLS is rather moot in the Deck.

Spirits are, honestly, really easy to put together They have a Stratos and a walking Double Summon/Jar of Greed; You play them with floating/self-summoning/etc monsters in order to provide more then enough fodder- YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO MAKE SURE NOTHING HAPPENS. Kagetokage/etc also work well BECAUSE they have a walking double-Summon. Since you can do stff like-

Play Nikitama, drop Kagetokage.

Play Aratama, and make King of the Feral using Niki and Kage

Detach Niki to search a Kage and Draw 1 off Niki because you control Aratama.

OR

Just do whatever you feel like if you play them wth Performages/etc.

Now as for these two monsters in partcular that TC mentoned...

Hino, honestly, isn't worth it. You get it's effect off, sure, but you are unlikely to get it off again because you won't really want to play something if the opponent has 0 cards in his/her hand; Hino is now a dead card.

Yamata, however....

Considering your playing Spirits, and are prone to using a lot of cards at once, you WANT to keep using Yamata because you can keep drawing off it because you play a lot of cards. So basically you keep feeding it, and it pays you back. Yamata's stats are lower, sure, but that's a moot point for what it's capable of doing.

Spirits lost the ability to freely add BLS to the hand. So BLS is rather moot in the Deck.

Spirits are, honestly, really easy to put together They have a Stratos and a walking Double Summon/Jar of Greed; You play them with floating/self-summoning/etc monsters in order to provide more then enough fodder- YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO MAKE SURE NOTHING HAPPENS. Kagetokage/etc also work well BECAUSE they have a walking double-Summon. Since you can do stff like-

Play Nikitama, drop Kagetokage.

Play Aratama, and make King of the Feral using Niki and Kage

Detach Niki to search a Kage and Draw 1 off Niki because you control Aratama.

OR

Just do whatever you feel like if you play them wth Performages/etc.

Now as for these two monsters in partcular that TC mentoned...

Hino, honestly, isn't worth it. You get it's effect off, sure, but you are unlikely to get it off again because you won't really want to play something if the opponent has 0 cards in his/her hand; Hino is now a dead card.

Yamata, however....

Considering your playing Spirits, and are prone to using a lot of cards at once, you WANT to keep using Yamata because you can keep drawing off it because you play a lot of cards. So basically you keep feeding it, and it pays you back. Yamata's stats are lower, sure, but that's a moot point for what it's capable of doing.

Using Kagetokage sounds alright actually for both additional Tribute fodder or to expand Rank 4 plays, I think I will try that. I personally find using both Hino and Yamata to be quite nice, as due to their easy searchable-ness with Aratama, you can just Tribute Summon the one that would be best in that situation and proceed to either Draw a load or discard a load from your opponent's hand. Also, what do you mean by "Spirits lost the ability to freely add BLS to the hand."? Do you mean there was some time when Spirit decks could search it?

Anyway, if a Pendulum deck were to use these, which archetype/deck do you they would be most effective with?

Also, what do you mean by "Spirits lost the ability to freely add BLS to the hand."?

Field is Nikitama, another Spirit, and another Level 4 monster.

Niki and the non-Spirit Level 4 make Lavalval Chain WHO IS BANNED NOW

Lavalval detaches Niki to place BLS on top of the Deck.

Niki's effect goes off because you control a Spirit; You Draw BLS.

Niki is LIGHT and Ara is DARK, you know...

Field is Nikitama, another Spirit, and another Level 4 monster.

Niki and the non-Spirit Level 4 make Lavalval Chain WHO IS BANNED NOW

Lavalval detaches Niki to place BLS on top of the Deck.

Niki's effect goes off because you control a Spirit; You Draw BLS.

Niki is LIGHT and Ara is DARK, you know...

Drat, if only I had been doing that before Chain got banned... oh well.

Igknights with these could be extremely potent. If there was more actual support for the FIRE attribute it would be better.

Yeah, I don't know much about them, but I presume their Normal Summon isn't important, and as they eat up hand advantage to search, Yamata Dragon could be good for recovering it.

Archived