RR - Flocking Lanius

Dramatic Crossroad

I've struggled with the Raidraptor cards KONAMI released in DOCS... their non-anime existence is a mystery to me, comparing them to what was previously printed. Anyway, since i doubt those would see mass play, aside from hardcore anime cosplay or something, figured a card to make up for the loss that could: 

- Make at least "Doom Eagle" playable. (Eagle itself makes Rise Falcon lot easier to summon).

- Make a something of a stat boost to the Xyz's. 

- Stay consistent with the Level 4 dynamic that is in my oppinion part of the RR winning formula.

The artwork is mine, that's why it kinda looks lame and blocky.

Here it is: 

33c5ftd.jpg

Raidraptor - Flocking Lanius (DARK)

Level: 4

[Winged Beast/Effect]

Once per turn, during your Main Phase, if this card was Summoned this turn: You can decrease the Levels of all "Raidraptor" monsters you currently control by 1. If this card is added to your hand by a "Raidraptor" card effect: You can Special Summon this card. You can only Special Summon "Raidraptor - Flocking Lanius" once per turn this way. When a "Raidraptor" Monster was Xyz Summoned using this card as Xyz Material: You can detach this card from it; Switch that Xyz Monster's original ATK and DEF.

_____ATK/1400 _____DEF/1300

[spoiler=Previous Ver.]

fxkpd.jpg

[Winged Beast/Effect]

Once per turn, during your Main Phase, if this card was Normal or Special Summoned this turn: You can decrease the Levels of all "Raidraptor" monsters you currently control by 1. When a "Raidraptor" Xyz Monster was Summoned using this card as Xyz Material; You can switch that Xyz Monster's original (printed) ATK and DEF and if you do, their difference is inflicted as damage to your Life Points.

_____ATK/1200 _____DEF/700

This is an interesting card, it has a pretty unique effect with the stats swap and it makes it easier to go into rank 3s as well when played in the right Deck. The only problem I see with it, is I'm not sure there would be room for it in a Raidraptor deck, with that Deck you want to be swarming and recovering as much as possible (as with any rank 4 deck) I'm not sure it really contributes to that.

And i am not sure you contributed to the discussion with this slapstick argument. What you're telling me the card is not worth using, just because it's not what exactly? 
3 out of the current 6 playable RR monsters include Recycling
4 out of the those 6 also include Special Summoning. 

Doesn't that leave some space to tech a card that broadens their horizons and gives access to newer combos? Like dishing significantly more damage with Rise Falcon? or maybe Strix that does more than fetching 1 card from the deck and waiting for its death? Access to Leviair or Doom Eagle? Or something unorthodox as "Grenosaurus" for "Astral Force" for "Volcasaurus" for damage and then "Gaia's Thunder Charger" maybe?

How about giving Ideas/suggestions for an alternate effect? - none. Simply saying that it's useless/not worth playing, cause it doesn't swarm/recycle or as i interpret your post - "Raidraptors should be the next Blackwings", that isn't really helpful or creative or logical, since they are two different archetypes with different styles of play.

Okay, I think you misunderstood my comment, of course after reading it back it wasn't the clearest in what I meant so I'm sorry but I'm only here to leave my opinion man. Im not on here to offend anyone, belittle them or upset people. I was going to leave an alternate effect but I wasn't sure how people on this site would react to that sort of critique. I don't think that Raidraptors are like Blackwings I see them as more of a rank  4 toolbox  deck. I don't think  as it stands it's not worth using, im sure It could help enable some nifty combos but I don't think its strong enough, I think its effect could do more and still be fine. This is how I would change it.

[Winged Beast/Effect]

You can Special Summon this card, from your hand, if you control a Raidraptor monser. Once per turn, during your Main Phase, if this card was Normal or Special Summoned this turn: You can decrease or increase the Levels of all "Raidraptor" monsters you currently control by 1. When a "Raidraptor" Xyz Monster was Summoned using this card as Xyz Material; You can switch that Xyz Monster's original (printed) ATK and DEF.

I'm sorry if i sounded harsh before, and to the only person that actually took some of their time to write a critique. People get confused and frustrated when they get vague and unhelpful advice, like "i don't think it will work, fix it" or something like that. And seeing what someone else would have done is OK, having another perspective on what could have been done to balance or improve a card can be a great help. 

you can always just pop a spoiler:[spoiler=why not try something like this]

You can Special Summon this card, from your hand, if you control a Raidraptor monser.

- If worded like this...it makes it more or less what Fuzzy Lanius always dreamt of becoming. I could implement a generic condition one, like "CyberDragon-type" or "Rose-Fairy type", but my feeling is either way it should be restricted to once per turn, like the rest.

When a "Raidraptor" Xyz Monster was Summoned using this card as Xyz Material; You can switch that Xyz Monster's original (printed) ATK and DEF.

That was my original concept, but then...I contemplated a bit and added the damage part. I figured otherwise it would be not-OK with Rise Falcon, tipping it from Underpowered to Overpowered without any drawback(s). Seeing it now, i don't think it's entirely worth to pay almost 2k LP for a 2000 ATK Strix, maybe i will remove the damage and add a cost instead. 

Also, the trigger was tricky - initially it was intended to apply when it was attached to a "RR" Xyz, But then i got the idea to make it work only when it's used for an Xyz Summon and for it to stop working if rank-up is used - since at the time, the material is only the previous Xyz, and the rest are just re-attached to the new monster.

and there you go. if someone is willing to make their card better - they will take it into consideration.

Thanx for commenting again and I'm sorry for the prev.comment,  hoping we can let it go with no hard feeling :)

I get exactly what you were saying and after logging in again today and explaining what I put I did realise that it wasn't very helpful, though at the time I guess I didn't see it. I think the Special Summoning once per turn from hand 'if you control another Raidraptor monster' should be fine. I see what you say about balancing the Atk and Def switch but I think the limitation of it having to be Raidraptor monster is pretty confining - with the potential of being overpowered based on any future support - but I guess that really comes down to how powerful you would like the card to be on its own merit.

I'm really glad we could settle this matter without any issues. Thank you.

Last Edit: 

+ Boosted its ATK and DEF slightly (from 1200/700 to 1400/1300) it's less push-over-ish than before;

+ Added an effect that lets it splash itself on the field. 

+ Added a cost to the Xyz ATK/DEF switch, it detaches (preventing any confusion during Rank-Up, and slightly reduces the powerhouse Rise Falcon can potencially become).

+ Makes it easier to find valid targets for Revolution Force's 2nd effect.

+ Greater synergy with Force Strix and Singing Lanius.

+ Cannot be abused with outside searchers (ex. Harpie Harpist).

I think i meddle with it more it will break bad. :) Anyone want to give me a piece of mind if i overdid it? :D

Archived