Kate's RP Practice Archive

Lunar Origins

These are just small flashbacks to my character's past that allow me to practice my writing abilities before I roleplay.

eas5lUw.png

iU8EggM.png

[spoiler=NV1: Sylph]

Nova awoke to the cries of her newly adopted child, Alexander.  It was the middle of the night.  Nova hadn’t gone to sleep much before her baby started crying, so she groaned and climbed out of bed.

“I’m really not cut out to be a mom,” she said, casually strolling over to Alexander’s crib.

As she loomed over him, Alexander’s cries subsided to cooes.  He looked up at her with wondrous, shiny eyes.  She couldn’t help but crack a smile at just how cute he was.  Having a child, she thought, was definitely worth all of this time and effort.  She picked up Alexander and carried him over to her bed, sitting down and placing him in her lap.  She grabbed the remote from the nightstand next to her and flipped the television on.  The two of them were alone in the house that night; her aunt was out and about doing business for the DHG on behalf of Nova so that she could take care of the newborn.

Alexander was Nova’s dream, and he meant the world to her.  His very existence, to her, seemed like a miracle.  She had always wanted a baby; as Nova was unable to carry one to term herself, she hired a surrogate have one in her stead.  Thanks to the wonders of modern medicine,  the child had half of her genes and half of her ex-fiancé’s; shortly after the child was born, however, her fiancé had left her, so she was left alone in raising the child.  Thankfully, she had lots of family to help look after Alexander.  A 23 year old single mother with a government job certainly isn’t a joke.

Alexander cooed at her, pulling on her long, golden hair and pushing it into his mouth.  She idly hugged and rubbed her child in response, drowning out the night in the dim glow of a soap opera.

iU8EggM.png

It was a new day, and the last day one that she’d get to spend with her son.  She had already fed him and put him to sleep before getting ready to go back to work.  With her bags packed, her clothes on, and her makeup on, she seemed good to go.

She stepped outside into the living room and was greeted by her aunt, Sophia.

“Nova!” Her aunt greeted her with a hug and a kiss on both cheeks.  “It’s been a few weeks, how have you been?  How’s the baby been?”

Nova smiled and put her things down, taking a seat.  “We’ve both been wonderful, thanks.  A few sleepless nights here and there, but that comes with motherhood, I guess.”  Another smile, and a feeling of pride.

“Darling, you’ve got no idea what you’ve got in store.  And to take care of him all by yourself?  You’ve got it harder than I did!”  Her aunt shook her head.  “If only that no-good man of yours stuck around.”

“I really don’t blame him,” replied Nova.  In reality she did, but she didn’t want to come off as bitter.  It’s not like raising a kid wasn’t scary.  “I just wish he’d drop by every once in a while.  It’s been six months and he hasn’t seen Alexander once.”

“Men are like that, Nova.  We both know that.”

“Right,” she replied.  “Thank you for offering to take care of the baby for me while I’m out hunting.  While I’d absolutely love to stay home and be his mother twenty-four seven, I do have a super secret life to get back to.”

Her aunt chuckled.  “Oh isn’t that the truth!  You should’ve seen me back in my hay-day; some of the wounds that the soldiers received were atrocious!”

Nova smiled.  Her aunt, thankfully, wasn’t infected with the tainted blood and therefore didn’t require any sustenance from it, allowing her to be one of the few able to retire from service under the Demon Hunters.  In the Swedish sect, unlike some of the others, they kept a number of medics on board to help with some of the more serious injuries that might be sustained in combat.  While small wounds might not need treated, the larger ones did.

After some time discussing life and things, and explaining what Alexander needed while she was away, Nova got up and hugged her aunt.  “Thank you so much,” she said, her voice quivering a bit.  “You’ve got no idea what it means to me that you’re looking after him.”

“It’s no problem.  I have everything under control, Nova.”  Crystal pulled away from Nova and looked her in the eyes.  “You’re so much like your father, you know that?  Always overly concerned about the kids.”

Nova smiled.

iU8EggM.png

“Ms. Nova!  It’s good to have you back.”

The security guard greeted the young woman with enthusiasm.  “How’s the baby?”

“Oh, he’s doing well,” Nova replied, flashing her badge to the officer’s scanner.

“I bet those nine months were painful, yeah?  I’m honestly surprised they allowed you to have a child.  It’s not often you hear of a hunter going off and getting pregnant like that.  But still!  I’m really happy for you.  Congratulations.”

Nova just replied with a smile and a thanks.  She walked in the facility - the all-too-familiar smell of cleaning solution barraging her nose - and looked around.  The lobby had been redesigned, which struck her as odd, but she walked on, meandering to the training facility.

She went to a terminal, punched in a few codes, and activated a training session with a Class F - the highest the facility would offer, in normal cases.  As opposed to outright killing some of the demons, DHG Sweden captured most of their kills and bled them out over time in order to sustain its hunters.  However, today Nova was feeling particularly thirsty; she put in a request to feed on the demon after the training session was over, which was immediately approved by the computer.  A small slip popped out of the computer’s sole slot.

She popped the slip in the door at the side of the room, which opened to a brightly lit stadium of sorts.  There was a soft sand covering the floor, and an incredibly high ceiling.  It was a very familiar place to Nova.  This is where she learned how to properly fight demons.

A slot in the wall on the other side of the arena opened up, and the enemy demon was thrown out.  It was red in color and no taller than Nova herself.  In the past, it would have had wings, but all it had were little stumps in its back, no doubt removed by the lab shortly after its capture.  It looked emaciated, weak, and most of all… sad.

As if knowing this was the end of its life, the demon got up to its feet and glared across the vast expanse at Nova.  It brushed sand off its shoulders and readied itself.

“Human,” it said, its voice a loud, deep bark that echoed off the empty walls of the stadium.  “Have you come to end this?”

Nova nodded.  “Of course I have,” she said, a little smile spreading across her face.  “You’re a hell of a sad sight.  It’d be a pity to let you live any longer.”

The demon scoffed.  “You hurt my pride, foulblood.  Let’s make this a fun battle.”

“Shall we?”  Nova giggled.  The demons with a sense of honor were the only ones she didn’t quite enjoy killing.  They were respectful in their own odd way.

Starting the battle, Nova dashed forward, a gust of wind on her back.  This was absolutely exhilarating to her; to be at one with the wind once again, after such a long time of ignoring her powers.  She was back in action, a wind god once more.

She soon met with the demon, who was sluggish compared to her.  They traded blows with their bare hands, Nova more using her superior speed to dodge the blows rather than hit the demon back.  Uppercut, left hook, straight punch, right hook.  The demon’s patterns were predictable and slow, leaving so many different opportunities for Nova to get a hit or two in, but she refrained.  She wasn’t here to test how hard she could punch.

She leaped back from the demon, who quickly followed after her.

“You’re skilled, foulblood,” the demon said, a tinge of happiness in his voice.  He threw his leg into a high kick that Nova countered with a basic arm block; grabbing it, she flipped the demon onto the ground and stepped back a bit.

Nova stood there, unresponsive to the demon, who lay there on the ground.

“Get up,” she barked, her voice harsh.

The demon obliged, stumbling to his feet.  It was quite obvious he was weak.

Nova quickly dashed forwards just as the demon got his balance and delivered a single blow to his chest, sending him flying into the air.  She quickly jumped up above him, the wind keeping the two of them aloft just long enough for her to deliver a curb stomp into its chest, sending it crashing to the ground.  She gracefully landed on the ground next to the beast.

“You’re a weak demon.  A disgrace to your kind.  Your sense of honor died when your wings were clipped.”

She delivered a kick to the demon’s side, sending it rolling.

“Get up again.  If you don’t even attempt dodging this time, you’re dead.”

The demon climbed to his feet, and this time, he was prepared.  He met Nova’s kick with a block, but the force of it sent him sliding back.  He was still on his feet, and assumed a defensive stance.

“That’s more like it!”  Nova smiled, flicking her right hand.  A short, shimmering blade of air began visibly vibrating.

She dashed forwards once more, flicking her hand through the air, then strafing off to the side and flicking her arm through the air a few more times. The demon stood there, slightly confused, but raised his arms in defense - just in time for them to be deeply cut by pin-sized blasts of air coming from Nova.

“What in God’s name?”  The demon’s wounds stung - large arcs, spread across his arms. He was stunned for a moment, and in this opening Nova summoned up a gale force of wind to blow the demon off his feet once more and into the air, carrying a large amount of sand with him.

Growing tired of this fight, she ran close to him and summoned a small but incredibly fast pressure current from the ground up with various hand motions.  Sand arose with it in a needle-like shape.

With a blank look on her face, she watched as the sand carried by the current shred into the demon’s flesh, eroding it away, blood flying up with it.  She silenced the current, and the demon dropped to the ground - now metallic tile, devoid of all sand. The demon's blood quickly spread, running fastest between the grooves of the tile.

She stood over the demon, who was gasping for breath.  

“Oh, so you breathe, too? I can help with that.”

iU8EggM.png

Nova left the arena, her face smeared with Demon’s blood.  Fresh stuff, not that crap that she’d been feeding off of for the last year and a half.  Turning the corner, she was met by a familiar face.

“You’re just as merciless as ever, I see.  Choking that demon, then killing it with a kiss - is this some sort of sick game you like to play?”

One of the senior hunters stood before her - her initial trainer and then partner.  She hadn’t seen him since she left.

“It’s good to see you too, Mikhael.”

iU8EggM.png

First off, let me just say that this is a really cool idea. Might just have to do it myself, to be honest. Anyway on to the actual bit of writing. I thought it was decent, it was nice to see Nova interact with her baby seeing as in Demon Blood there probably won't be much of a chance for that. I also really liked your take on Demon Hunter Headquarters, I thought your description of that was really nice. However, despite having some strong characteristics, there was nothing about this piece that I found hugely entertaining or captivating. It felt bland to me. Everything was very predictable, until the end when you introduced Mikhael. 

I guess if I were to give you something to work on, it would be to take more risks with your writing. This all seemed very safe, and very generic. Don't get me wrong, it is pretty apparent that you are a good writer. There just wasn't enough content here for me to really feel invested in the piece. 

Now, all of that said, perhaps that was what you were going for. After all, these are just short stories from various characters. So, I guess take the review and advice as you will, you'll know the intent of writing better than anyone else. 

Again, this is a pretty cool idea and I like being able to read backstory on your character so kudos to do that! Keep writing! :D

Thank you so much!

So, I need to write something that's just more... well, spectacular, I guess?  Gripping?

That's definitely a challenge; this is my first time attempting to write anything geared towards combat, or a character who really just lives in a world begging to be portrayed as visceral and animalistic.  I think a mistake I made was not making the contrast between her experiences with Alexander and her profession big enough.

I'll try and make things a little more interesting with the next update.  Thanks a ton!

Archived