Ancient Soldier of Stone [Retrain]

Ren✧

huqagy.jpg

Ancient Soldier of Stone

[Previous Retrain] l [Next Retrain]

A giant warrior made of stone. A punch from this creature has earth-shaking results.

s2MopCb.jpg

Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a monster you control is flipped face-up and activates an effect as a result, you can: Immediately after its effect resolves, change the flipped monster to face-down Defense Position. If this is the only face-up monster you control, switch its ATK and DEF.

I don't know, it's an iconic card so I felt like I needed to retrain it. Pretty basic rock support. Like most generic rock cards, it would never be played except for in a flip summon deck. Idk, thought it was an interesting mechanic. Almost definitely not worded correct. Per usual, reviews and OCG corrections are very much appreciated and will be REPPED!

Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a monster you control is flipped face-up and activates an effect: You can change that monster to face-down Defense Position after its effect resolves. If this is the only face-up monster you control, switch its ATK and DEF.

(A bit iffy on the changing part; think it should be "You can: Immediately after its effect resolves, change that monster to face-down Defense Position [wording partly from Union Monsters in Abyss Rising)

----------

Anyway, this card does have its uses in Rock decks, as most of them do have a trigger effect once flipped face-up.

That, and it helps them from being open targets for a turn (as you can set them face-down again, and avoid getting attacked early).

This can also become a 2000 attacker if this is the only face-up you have, which is sizable enough to get rid of a few things; though yes, it will revert if you have another one.

As much as I'd say Shaddolls/other Flip Effect decks could use this for re-triggering themselves, they already have their own cards for that.

Technically speaking though, Giant Soldier of Stone was retrained as an Xyz (now Giant Steel Soldier).

I quite like this card, it adds a heck of a lot of speed to Rock Stun decks etc. The immediate flipping over again seems like a pretty strong effect to me, like instant set up for what is potentially a fair few flip monsters you could control. I think it would work pretty well with Geargiaccelerator , more so if it was a machine. I like that it has a little offensive presence, I think it gives some slower decks a little more speed and something more to be worried about. With this card on field  and the right set up I can imagine the nightmare of trying to dismantle a field where effects are just going to go off everywhere. I know what you  said about Shaddolls and I don't disagree but I  think  this could be used to make a very powerful Shekhinaga variant. I do think this card as a stand alone is pretty balanced, with a strong effect and a good effect. Not overly Meta and I don't think  it breaks anything from the top of my head. Its also a fun target for Gorgonic Guardian. If I was going to change it in any way just as a card, I would make it a level 4 but then if you was really wanting to stick to the 'Giant Soldier of stone' theme it  still works nicely.

I like this card as well. And its a good FLIP support. Also the flipping ATK and DEF works well with its flavor text of how strong his punches are.

Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a monster you control [is flipped face-up and activates an effect as a result/activates its Flip Effect], you can: Immediately after its effect resolves, change the flipped monster to face-down Defense Position. If this is the only face-up monster you control, switch its ATK and DEF.

italics are suggestions/preferred

for the immediately part I used Taotie, Shadow of the Yang Zing as reference

Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a monster you control [is flipped face-up and activates an effect as a result/activates its Flip Effect], you can: Immediately after its effect resolves, change the flipped monster to face-down Defense Position. If this is the only face-up monster you control, switch its ATK and DEF.

Ah, but several of the Flip-Flop Rocks don't have their effects classified as Flip effects.

As much as I'd say Shaddolls/other Flip Effect decks could use this for re-triggering themselves, they already have their own cards for that.

I briefly worried about Shaddolls, but figured that they wouldn't run this anyway, coming to the same conclusion.

Technically speaking though, Giant Soldier of Stone was retrained as an Xyz (now Giant Steel Soldier).

Fair enough. Now it's been retrained twice :P

If I was going to change it in any way just as a card, I would make it a level 4 but then if you was really wanting to stick to the 'Giant Soldier of stone' theme it  still works nicely.

Yeah, I want to keep its level at 3, just because it is a retrain and I want it to parallel the actual card as much as possible.

Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a monster you control [is flipped face-up and activates an effect as a result/activates its Flip Effect], you can: Immediately after its effect resolves, change the flipped monster to face-down Defense Position. If this is the only face-up monster you control, switch its ATK and DEF.

Basically I am just echoing Gadjiltron here. With the italics effect, things like Guardian Sphinx wouldn't be able to utilize this card's effect and that goes against the intention I had when designing this card. 

Thank you all for your OCG help and constructive criticism. It's very much appreciated and very helpful.

Archived