Archetype Generator Meta

Draconus297

I bought a pack of COTD at Wal-Mart last Sunday; albeit no Firewall or other Links I would've liked (I got Gouki the Great Ogre, so...) Though, whether I should've bought another one or kept the HA3 pack I bought remains to be seen. (If I had known COTD was cheaper than I thought it'd be, considering price got jacked up a bit to $4.58 [likely due to some kids ripping them open]; was $3.83, I would've probably bought another)

/ shrugs.

====

But whether we like it or not, VRAINS is here now. We can play Legacy all we want, but it's going to be a very small format (and eventually Konami's going to start making Decks that build off of linked zones and less general stuff, which would be terrible design on their part.)

Oh hell, I'm having problems trying to figure out how to make a good Link archetype while keeping my normal pattern of "searcher, summon enabler, recycler, some form of negation". But that's something I'll refrain from talking about in detail in here because we're ARC-V format, not VRAINS. 

Then again, it's not like a lot of Decks got screwed over. (I'm taking up True Draco now, and those don't give a sheet about using the ED)

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Set Rotation and give your opponent the Seal of Oricalchos? That way they're locked out of their ED, and it looks like modern Link Decks are even more helpless without the ED than most ZeXal Decks were.

Anyway, I'm thinking about trying to tackle Seven Deadly Swords for my next archetype for the group, but after my next personal project (which may or may not wind up in the AGM anyway).

Seven Deadly Swords

Do you remember the Guardian archetype? How about the Legendary Dragon Fusions? Basically, this is that given new life. "of the Seven Deadly Swords" Main Deck monsters (of which there are seven) are all, interestingly, DARK Gemini monsters, that gain their effects and some major stat boosts if equipped with an Equip Spell. The "Seven Deadly Swords" themselves are, as indicated, seven Equip Spell Cards that offer generous battle effects, but can only be equipped to a Normal or Gemini monsters. As a trade-off, all of them can be destroyed when the equipped monster would leave the field, except by Fusion Summon, and can search other Seven Deadly Swords cards if revealed in your hand. There are a couple other Main Deck monsters that offer more searching, the ability to change which monster your Spells are equipped to, and other such things, under the communal "Seven Deadly Swords' Aid" moniker.

What really makes them interesting, however, is if you control both an "of the Seven Deadly Swords" monster and its corresponding Equip Spell . . . You can send both to the Graveyard to Fusion Summon evolved versions of the Main Deck monsters, all of which basically tell your opponent that you're not messing around.

Do whatever you want, Draco. 

But yeah, only Link decks right now are:

• World Chalice (partially using as a base for my so-far crappy attempt at a Link archetype, but...idk)
  • Gouki (may be worth looking into)
  • Yusaku.dek
  • Vullets/rokket (Konami, make up your mind)
  • Weathery (albeit only with Arciel)
  • Crawler (haven't tried them yet because YGOPro 2 is sheet on emulator)
  • Altergeist (still slow as sheet w/out outside engines)

====

All of them need ED to function, so...that's part of the reason I'm trying to find Decks that require little/none of it to work effectively or ladder like a boss. (Need to post my True Draco deck eventually, even if TCG rips it apart for being a pure build; I swear I wasn't watching the qualifiers as an impetus.)

As ridiculous as it sounds, look to the really old Synchro era archetypes. Most of them had unusual, random Tribute monsters in them, but most of those had good ideas behind them for the time. I mean, imagine if there had been a Genex Solar equivalent for Flamvell, with an effect similar to something like Batteryman Industrial Strength. For the time, it would have been amazing, and even now it'd be a nice comeback card.

But hey, that's just in idea I had on card design in general.

A lot of the VRAINS decks have varied Levels in their members, so they can't really Xyz Summon that well (Crawler probably can R2 if they're desperate but why?). Ideally, Archetype should be able to summon other ED except Links (because a chunk of them either have specific conditions, including being Cyberse for hell knows why, or require more laddering than desired).

We did get a new Pendulum support card, so...

I used to play Genex a lot. Using Genex Recycled on Genex Blastfan with Machine Duplication to get a Trishula out was really fun. Also, I REALLY miss having 3 Genex Ally Birdmans. That was the best. Honestly they just need some "Genexic" Spell/Traps and a better Genex Controller.

Anyway my recommendation for Link Format design is that you rather exploit the mechanics that Links provide, like the fact they can't be flipped face-down so Equips can be really good, going for boss oriented Decks like Noble Knights or Bujins, or just not caring like Lightsworns.

Idea I had in mind was to have them spam enough to repeatedly Link Summon (though right now, the current Main Deck members all summon a Token when they're summoned, so they can just set up for Link 2+ right away; may need to curb them so they don't go nuts, even with a Raiten-esque restriction).

Just need to tell self; Main Deck should just enable plays and do minor stuff, while the Links do the heavy lifting. But then again, even with Links, Archetype probably might end up playing similar to ARC-V with summon spam; maybe slower, but yeah.

As ridiculous as it sounds, look to the really old Synchro era archetypes. Most of them had unusual, random Tribute monsters in them, but most of those had good ideas behind them for the time. I mean, imagine if there had been a Genex Solar equivalent for Flamvell, with an effect similar to something like Batteryman Industrial Strength. For the time, it would have been amazing, and even now it'd be a nice comeback card.

But hey, that's just in idea I had on card design in general.

So something like this?

1TaBSl5.jpg

I'd be happy to work on a Flamvell equivalent.

Well, I had meant on a bigger scale- remember that Industrial Strength destroys two cards, and that both monsters I mentioned had stats to run over a Monarch- but yeah, almost exactly like that.

Also, we don't have Flamvells here in the AGM. Is that a suggestion to add them?

Resonators (1/3 - Sakura)

Flamvell? (1/3 - Nyx)

Well, I had meant on a bigger scale- remember that Industrial Strength destroys two cards, and that both monsters I mentioned had stats to run over a Monarch- but yeah, almost exactly like that.

Also, we don't have Flamvells here in the AGM. Is that a suggestion to add them?

Resonators (1/3 - Sakura)

Flamvell? (1/3 - Nyx)

Well, it was a trade-off for more damage for its first effect. I could make a Flamvell equivalent, but it'd do less damage (500, 300) and instead of stating 1 monster and 1 Spell/Trap, it'd be up to 2 cards.

And yeah. I'd be fine with the addition of Flamvell. Really almost anything from Hidden Arsenal and Duel Terminal.

Alright, so here's something interesting!

I ran a secret contest for people to design new support that would either turn our series (Tinkerer's Alchemy/Entropic stuff, Dova's Forgotten One stuff, Sakura's "Evolutionary" stuff based on the Eeveelutions, and the many mini-series I've designed) into a full-fledged archetype, or that would update Neo AGM Avengers and/or AGM Successors with our newer members.

Unfortunately, only one entrant was ready on the day of our 2nd anniversary, so I'll leave it in the following spoiler. The relevant name will be censored. Like an archetype, this prospective member requires 3 votes to get in. I'll save my judgment for midnight.

[spoiler=Entry]

AGM Successor XXXXX

DARK - Level 2 - Zombie/Effect - 1600/950

If you do not control a DARK monster, you can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, you can Special Summon 1 "AGM Successor" monster from your hand or Graveyard. Once per turn, if a monster you control would be destroyed by battle, you can target the attacking monster, send it to the Graveyard. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect.

AGM Successor Octosquid

WATER - Level 2 - Aqua/Tuner/Effect - 1700/1700

During the turn this card is Normal Summoned, all "AGM" monsters you control gain 500 ATK and DEF. When this card is destroyed, you can Special Summon 1 "AGM" monster from your hand or Graveyard.

AGM Successor Eshai

WATER - Level 2 - Cyberse/Effect - 1800/1850

When this card is Summoned, you can send 1 card on your opponent's side of the field to his/her Deck. Once per turn, if an "AGM" monster you control would be destroyed, you can discard this card, that monster is not destroyed. Once per turn, when this card is in your Graveyard(except the turn it was sent there), you can send 1 "AGM" monster from your hand or field to the Graveyard, Special Summon this card.

Neo AGM Avenger Foxish Rocker

DARK - Level 4 - Beast/Effect - 1700/850

When this card is Summoned, you can target 1 card on the field, destroy that target. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a card effect is activated that would destroy 1 card you control, you can negate the effects of that card, and if you do, it's effect becomes "Target 1 card you control, destroy it".

Neo AGM Avenger Eight Armed Squid

WATER - Level 2 - Fish/Tuner/Effect - 825/1900

Once per turn, during your Main Phase, you can target 1 monster you control, it is treated as a Tuner until the End Phase. When a face-up "AGM" monster you control would be destroyed, you can banish 1 "AGM" monster from your Graveyard, it is not destroyed.

Neo AGM Avenger Eshai

EARTH Level 3 - Aqua/Union/Effect - 1050/1300

Once per turn, you can equip this card in your hand or on your field to a face-up "AGM" monster you control. A monster equipped with this card gains 500 ATK and DEF. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead. Once per turn, while this card is in your Monster Card Zone, you can target 1 "AGM" card in your Deck, and 1 card your opponent controls, add the first target to your hand, and shuffle the other target into it's owners Deck.

Neo AGM Avenger Zangati

DIVINE - Rank 4 - Zombie/Xyz/Effect - 2300/1800

2 Level 4 "AGM" monsters

Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card: Banish 1 Spell/Trap card your opponent controls. If this card is attacked, banish the attacking monster at the end of the Damage Step.

Neo AGM Avenger Arachne Pirate

WATER - Level 6 - Insect/Synchro/Effect - ATK/1900 DEF/2000

1 "AGM" Tuner monsters + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

Once per turn, when an "AGM" monster you control attacks, your opponent cannot activate card effects until the end of the Damage Step. If this card attacks, you can discard 1 card, this card can attack your opponent directly this turn. You can only activate this effect of "Neo AGM Avenger Arachne Pirate" once per turn.

Neo AGM Avenger Matador

DARK - Level 4 - Machine/Synchro/Effect - 2700/2000

1 Tuner monster + 1 or more non-Tuner "AGM" monsters

When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 "AGM" monster from your Graveyard. When your opponent attacks, you can change all monsters on your side of the field to Defense Position, and if you do, end the Battle Phase. You can only activate this effect of "Neo AGM Avenger Matador" once per turn, thrice per Duel.

Alright, so here's something interesting!

I ran a secret contest for people to design new support that would either turn our series (Tinkerer's Alchemy/Entropic stuff, Dova's Forgotten One stuff, Sakura's "Evolutionary" stuff based on the Eeveelutions, and the many mini-series I've designed) into a full-fledged archetype, or that would update Neo AGM Avengers and/or AGM Successors with our newer members.

Unfortunately, only one entrant was ready on the day of our 2nd anniversary, so I'll leave it in the following spoiler. The relevant name will be censored. Like an archetype, this prospective member requires 3 votes to get in. I'll save my judgment for midnight.

[spoiler=Entry]

AGM Successor XXXXX

DARK - Level 2 - Zombie/Effect - 1600/950

If you do not control a DARK monster, you can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, you can Special Summon 1 "AGM Successor" monster from your hand or Graveyard. Once per turn, if a monster you control would be destroyed by battle, you can target the attacking monster, send it to the Graveyard. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect.

AGM Successor Octosquid

WATER - Level 2 - Aqua/Tuner/Effect - 1700/1700

During the turn this card is Normal Summoned, all "AGM" monsters you control gain 500 ATK and DEF. When this card is destroyed, you can Special Summon 1 "AGM" monster from your hand or Graveyard.

AGM Successor Eshai

WATER - Level 2 - Cyberse/Effect - 1800/1850

When this card is Summoned, you can send 1 card on your opponent's side of the field to his/her Deck. Once per turn, if an "AGM" monster you control would be destroyed, you can discard this card, that monster is not destroyed. Once per turn, when this card is in your Graveyard(except the turn it was sent there), you can send 1 "AGM" monster from your hand or field to the Graveyard, Special Summon this card.

Neo AGM Avenger Foxish Rocker

DARK - Level 4 - Beast/Effect - 1700/850

When this card is Summoned, you can target 1 card on the field, destroy that target. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a card effect is activated that would destroy 1 card you control, you can negate the effects of that card, and if you do, it's effect becomes "Target 1 card you control, destroy it".

Neo AGM Avenger Eight Armed Squid

WATER - Level 2 - Fish/Tuner/Effect - 825/1900

Once per turn, during your Main Phase, you can target 1 monster you control, it is treated as a Tuner until the End Phase. When a face-up "AGM" monster you control would be destroyed, you can banish 1 "AGM" monster from your Graveyard, it is not destroyed.

Neo AGM Avenger Eshai

EARTH Level 3 - Aqua/Union/Effect - 1050/1300

Once per turn, you can equip this card in your hand or on your field to a face-up "AGM" monster you control. A monster equipped with this card gains 500 ATK and DEF. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead. Once per turn, while this card is in your Monster Card Zone, you can target 1 "AGM" card in your Deck, and 1 card your opponent controls, add the first target to your hand, and shuffle the other target into it's owners Deck.

Neo AGM Avenger Zangati

DIVINE - Rank 4 - Zombie/Xyz/Effect - 2300/1800

2 Level 4 "AGM" monsters

Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card: Banish 1 Spell/Trap card your opponent controls. If this card is attacked, banish the attacking monster at the end of the Damage Step.

Neo AGM Avenger Arachne Pirate

WATER - Level 6 - Insect/Synchro/Effect - ATK/1900 DEF/2000

1 "AGM" Tuner monsters + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

Once per turn, when an "AGM" monster you control attacks, your opponent cannot activate card effects until the end of the Damage Step. If this card attacks, you can discard 1 card, this card can attack your opponent directly this turn. You can only activate this effect of "Neo AGM Avenger Arachne Pirate" once per turn.

Neo AGM Avenger Matador

DARK - Level 4 - Machine/Synchro/Effect - 2700/2000

1 Tuner monster + 1 or more non-Tuner "AGM" monsters

When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 "AGM" monster from your Graveyard. When your opponent attacks, you can change all monsters on your side of the field to Defense Position, and if you do, end the Battle Phase. You can only activate this effect of "Neo AGM Avenger Matador" once per turn, thrice per Duel.

I'll make this quick because trying to conserve 11-12 posts for locking the GPT matches and saving 35,000th post for personal card in CC. That, and I have to leave for work in about 30 minutes at the time of this post.)

[spoiler=whatever goes in here]

First three are definitive no for various reasons and a lot of it does have to do with obscenely large stats for their Level w/out restriction. Octosquid's card leads to infinite looping and lacks hard OPT. Boost is fine. Eshai is on-summon bouncing, which I feel belongs on a boss monster. Rest of the effects are iffy.

Foxish Rocker is fine, though skeptical of the second effect when used in multiples.

8-Armed Squid is alright, bar for the stat level (and why are they using 825 as a statline?) All stats must be divisible by 10, and normally end in 00 or 50 [with SOME exceptions].

I don't like Eshai's third effect on the Union card; it's a literal searcher and Castel all in one. Other stuff is fine.

Neo AGM Avenger Zangatl is a literal walking Cosmic Cyclone that banishes a monster that fights it; uh yeah, first effect powercreeps an already existing card (including Tornado Dragon). Also, it's a DIVINE monster which already broke the design further. There is no reason for you to make DIVINE monsters unless stuff is legitimately based on a deity from mythology or from a series where character is divine.

Arachne Pirate is fine.

No on Matador, due to its statline being busted for a Level 4; not even a chunk of the Level 7 / 8's get to its Level. I admit that some of the members aren't exactly great Level, but the cards he made here already build onto it.

=====

Final decision:

Voting no.

P.S. Flamvells get an approval from me.

(* casually throws Ice Barrier in here if that wasn't suggested earlier *)

Hey all AGM members! Just wanted to say Happy 2nd Anniversary!

Happy 2 year anniversary!

Alright, that brings us to:

Approval of X (0/3)

Flamvell (2/3 - Nyx, Sakura)

Ice Barrier (2/3 - Sakura, Draconus)

Resonator (1/3 - Sakura)

Wait. I thought I already approved Resonator. In any case, to reiterate, Resonator gets my vote.

As does Ice Barrier.

Ice Barriers get my vote as well.

Also, sorry for the inactivity. I have a reasonable excuse this time; I just moved into my college dorm, and am trying to work out how this whole thing works. I'll see about working on more stuff though.

So, while the Cyberdark support is kinda neat, and lets you trade out a bricky card for something more useful in a given situation, plus an OPT stat-up just in case you need to just the tiniest bit more to run over a troublesome monster, I'd just like to point out that we don't have Vampires in the AGM.

Do you think we could a Vampires? As far as I recall, only archetype that they could benefit from is Samurai Zombie Nation. But it's only a select few Synchro monsters and Spell/Trap Cards.

Otherwise, guess I'll have to make its own separate thread for it.

Someone's going to have to bump the game again, and it's Nyx who made last one.

That being said, going to assume Draco's still looking over that guy's stuff. But yeah, definite no right now; how about the rest of you?

Ice Barriers get my vote as well.

Also, sorry for the inactivity. I have a reasonable excuse this time; I just moved into my college dorm, and am trying to work out how this whole thing works. I'll see about working on more stuff though.

Don't worry, it's understandable.

Move-in days are usually like this; though I shouldn't talk because still live at home and commute to college (saves $8-9K and other food expenses / having to deal with people I may dislike as roommates).

I was not near my phone at midnight like I thought I'd be, and by the time I was I just wanted sleep.

Anyway, as for my judgment . . .

The entrant doesn't seem to do well in the realm of card balance, which is rather unfortunate. I'd be willing to accept the unusual design details just because I'm a lot more interested in doing weird things (825 is a really neat stat number, and I've got to remember it), but things like a Level 4 Synchro being able to tie in a fight with Thought Ruler, plus a Main Deck NSable Lightning Chidori, are a bit too much.

From me, unfortunately, you get a no.

That makes two of us who voted no; unless there is a lack of oversight from the other users and they vote to let him in despite the flaws [not saying that it'll happen], [x] is pretty much getting a no-pass. 

Once I finish with my VRAINS project, will need to look at other stuff I can do that fits the constraints of this club. Likely stuff I made a note of a long time ago on another post / linked to.

Archived