Archetype Generator Meta

Draconus297

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My problem is just that they don't look like they have much of a playstyle. I'm fine with broken as long as it's broken in an interesting way.

I recommended that he exploit the fact that a lot of them have Battle Phase restriction could mean that they could focus on getting additional Battle Phases, and then changing all of the restrictions to the next Battle Phase (as in you could have a second and still do stuff in that one) rather than not being able to Conduct a Battle Phase the turn you activate the effect. Weather Report's effect is cool and it's about time we get something like that.

I'm working out how to Synchro Summon Tokens and making that into an archetype. At the moment they're "Mimics" based on the 7 deadly sins (since theirs more than just money that can attract you and more than chests they can disguise themselves as). They're all Tuners that Special Summon Tokens somehow, and/or can Tribute themselves and other monsters you control to Special Summon an archetype Token with an equal Level, or if I can't quite get that to work they'll Special Summon they'll each Special Summon their own Token/Synchro esc monsters and their effects will explain everything. Example will be coming in a bit.

I agree with both above points. It's scattered, busted, and just . . . doesn't really work as an archetype. Individual pieces work, and they work a bit too well, but there's no real consistent synergy worth how each piece can click together. In an ED-focused Deck, especially where Synchro is concerned, this is the deadliest of sins.

For example, using my own archetypes as a design point:

●Darkhorses flow because each Main Deck member boils down to two primary things: Special Summoning (either itself or allies), and giving you an advantage if they get the chance to do Battle Damage. This means that, depending on your circumstances, you might prefer to do battle with your Synchro/Fusion Materials before actually going into your boss, and that cards like Soul-Burning Battlefield (which gives you a second Battle Phase at the cost of 1500 LP and the condition that your opponent still has more cards on board than you do) get a real chance to shine, so that you can trigger more of their neat effects.

●Spellbound/Mellaxis is very inconsistent, but they make up for it by being nigh-impossible to remove once they hit the board properly- most Mellaxis monsters have some method of self-recursion, and they all let you Special Summon the Spellbound monsters essentially for free. Combine this with a few different Levels of Tuner, and generally speaking you can Synchro Summon as much as you want, or Fusion/Ritual if you so desire.

●Geargoyle is pretty much just "yo dawg, I heard you like Synchro Summon, so I let you Synchro for your Synchro while you Synchro your Synchro!" Their lack of a really impressive Main Deck monster lineup is their only weakness, because they can cycle through most of their Main Deck at the speed of sound, and their Extra follows as a matter of course. But again, it's more of a focus on combos.

●Wilonka is a Tribute Summon-focused Deck, but the concept still applies: Recurring, easily accessible Tribute fodder, plus Tribute monsters you actually want to go into for one reason or another, makes for a solid Deck that doesn't have to resort to cheap tricks. In addition, their focus on effect modality means that you choose what effects your bosses have, giving you a wide array of fun options.

Some of my earlier Archetypes aren't exactly cohesive either, but they have a set playstyle:

• Psychic Dragons were designed with a dual focus because they're made for the Eon siblings in an offsite fanfic. Main thing is just to Synchro/Xyz Summon as you deem necessary; either make the siblings themselves or go Rank 8 into Number 26 and screw over the opponents.
  • Phoenix Guardian / Electric Field function semi-similarly to 'tellars as I was test-running them at the time.
  • Skateboard Dragons are effectively WIND Dragon Shaddolls with a Ritual focus. I'm still pumping legacy support for them.
  • Fantasy Wyvern and RI-ON are Synchro oriented, so don't have to say much. (Former has a China/Japan parallel between members; RI-ON was due to Dragon Drive)
  • Sunbeasts are partially Monarch floodgates in animal form.
  • Cheetah Racers are "try to spam and accumulate SPC"; yeah, I already mentioned that I may have been too conservative.
  • YCM Heavenly Sovereigns are literally "YCM mods as Nekroz". True to form now, I sit at the top followed by Night (well, at this time, both of us have the highest rep counters out of the mods and there's about 14,000 post difference between me and evilfusion; now determine the amount of time you guys need to even get to 14,000 in the first place.)
  • Show Jumpers didn't take off too much, but basically "U.A. with trigger effects and easier to summon". IDK, I semi-ditched them but working on more.
  • Firefighter Dragons are supposed to be anti-FIRE, but...AOJ worked because Lightsworn were a thing. FIRE decks aren't as good right now. 
  • Hearts Riding Club is Kozmo Synchros to an extent (I guess). Yes Draco, I modified part of the prompt and the naming to fit in what I had in mind when pitching the name. 
  • ZPD / Flyers are functionally similar; set up boards with high combos and proceed to do stuff (including making the ED in Flyers). I need to add Synchro/Xyz upgrades of Judy/Nick to the OP; I already did them, but not in the thread yet. 
  • Chaos Synchro is just the Synchro equivalent of Chaos Xyz, so...nothing much.

Oh, almost forgot: Card of the Week.

Armory Aid

Continuous Spell

When this card is activated, you can add 1 monster from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand with exactly 1700 ATK or DEF. Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 face-up monster you control with exactly 1700 original ATK or DEF to target up to 2 cards your opponent controls: Destroy that target(s).

This is one of the most interesting search cards in the AGM, in the fact that it was designed as Sword Hunter support (I built a support lineup for it based around the stat value of 1700), but it has a very wide array of search targets, making it valuable in a wide array of Decks. In fact, we could probably make a shorter list of archetypes that don't have at least 1 card that this thing can grab.

Let's see what I got inside my Archetypes (from what I have):

• Phoenix Guardians have Paralyzing Inferno and Double/Support Wings
  • Skateboards have none; though I think I modified Anemoné's DEF to 1700 later on (and that would make it eligible)
  • Fantasy Wyverns have Hiruhi and Yuuhi
  • Show Jumpers have Uliuli, but that's literally it.
  • Sunbeasts have none (could've sworn I had one with 1700 DEF in there somewhere)
  • RI-ON / Dragon Drive has Frontline Ein 
  • ZPD has Fangmeyer and Delgato iirc (oh right, and I think I added Higgins too with 17/15 stats). Oh right, and I need to add him to the thread. All you get from him is basically an Honest-style effect for ZPD.
  • Accelerator Satellites are a no (and yes I made them, though Dova never said thank you smh)
  • Cheetah Racers have Champion Accel, Vave and newly added Sogdo.
  • YCM Mod Project is a no. 
  • Firefighter Dragon only has Blaze.
  • Hearts Riding Club is a no.
  • Psychic Dragons have Serena and some other stuff at minimum, so yeah. 

I gave you 4 of them that don't have a target for that to search. 

You know how weird it is to give Token monsters, which are always Normal Monsters, effects? Feels weird, but I'm happy that I think I came up with something original.

Handsome Mimic

LIGHT - Level 4 - Fiend/Tuner/Effect - 1100 ATK/2000 DEF

Each time your opponent Special Summons a monster: You can Special Summon 1 “Sin Mimic Token” (Fiend-Type/LIGHT/Level 3/ATK 100/DEF 1000), but it cannot be Tributed or used as a material in the Special Summon of a monster, except Fiend monsters. You can Tribute this card and other Fiend monsters you control (Quick Effect): Special Summon 1 “Deadly Sin Mimic Token” (Fiend-Type/LIGHT/Level 7/ATK 2500/DEF 2600), If summoned this way, it becomes an Effect Monster with this effect.

● This card cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects the turn you Special Summon this card.

This isn't going to be a final version or anything, but it's a good example of what the archetype is going to do, with all the wordings and such. I'm essentially bypassing the Extra Deck limit and Link Format simultaneously, which I think is awesome. The Quick-play bit isn't going to be something for the entire archetype, but giving them to a couple wouldn't be such a bad idea. The effect given isn't exactly final either, since I'm thinking of a couple things more involved with the archetype. Don't know how everything else is going to work, so ideas would be helpful. 

Also yes Sin Mimic Tokens have intentionally been given the same stats as Dark Mimic LV 1, if anyone still remembers that card.

I think I have a copy of Mimic LV1 somewhere in my binder of meh cards, so...yeah.

Just as a reminder, if you make any boss monsters, actually make sure they're summonable more often than not and worth the effort. (*cough new Chazz card is legitimately hard to summon nowadays given the difficulty of even doing that right now*)

[Also conflicting rulings between TCG/OCG; make up your mind, Tewart or whoever the hell runs KoA.]

Well, first off, that Tribute effect doesn't specify how many monsters you need to Tribute, but doesn't grant any additional bonuses if you Tribute more than the base 2.

But yeah, it's . . . interesting.

You wanna know the funny thing, Sakura? We can technically add Armed Dragon Catapult Cannon, because we have literally everything it requires to be Summoned- I added Armed Dragon when we agreed LV was going to be a thing in the AGM, and I added VWXYZ like a month ago because I was just looking at silly targets for Unexpected Dai and X-Head Cannon and V-Tiger Jet kept coming up, and if felt weird to add them without adding the other pieces (although we still don't have ABC). Not only that, I think we might have a speedy way to cheese it onto the field with some of our off-brand LV, Union, and Normal monster support! Yeah, it would be a very silly and inconsistent Deck, but if anyone wanted we could add that abomination for kicks.

Anyway, yeah, just wanted to point that out.

If you guys are actually fine with putting it in, then go for it. Legacy format has a better chance of summoning this than VRAINS will ever (oh right, and we have better ways that don't require OCG Fusion Tag).

I honestly don't care either way though.

Can we just say KoA screwed up big time and ruling issues are sheet on our end.

I just now saw all of your comments, and am going to fix my archetype accordingly. Like Nyx said, first archetypes are usually the most incohesive, and this is my first AGM archetype, meaning I'm not used to super critiquing just yet.

Also, 150th page of posts. Don't you think we should celebrate that?

Handsome Mimic should say "with a total level that equals 7." or something along those lines since I'm replicating Synchro Summoning, but yeah that was my bad.

I'll vote in Armed Dragon Catapult Cannon in. Overall it's a really cool card that apparently can be Summoned with Elemental Hero Prisma, Copy Knight, Infernal Reckless Summon, and Fusion Tag. 4 card combo seems fair enough.

Kyumi we're already celebrating 3000 posts soon, so I think we'll wait for that. I probably won't have the archetype ready (because honestly I'm a bit out of ideas hence starting something else I found interesting to get my brain moving). If I don't end up getting it done by then it'll probably be done by the end of the week, if college and writer's block doesn't get in my way again.

The funny thing is that Convincing Costume can turn any of the Armed Dragon LV monsters into any of the others ("up to two words"), LV Soul lets you turn a dead mecha part and a LV 3 into LV 7, and I literally created Instant Union to make VWXYZ easier to Summon, so it's even easier here in the AGM than in the TCG or OCG to get out a fast Armed Dragon Catapult Cannon.

Also, here's a quick queue reminder:

Speedroid (2/3 - Draconus, Sakura)

Infernity (2/3 - Eshai, Kyumi)

Lunalight (1/3 - Draconus)

I'll vote for both Speedroid and Lunalight. But I am a little concerned as to the possibilities Lunalight could do. I once ran my HERO deck against a Full Lunalight deck and I got wiped out. I just hope that this doesn't become the case here.

Eshai: If you could give me your archetype notes, I could take on the archetype. Plz PM them to me.

To All: I just read someone's card, "ARC Legacy" This thing's effect reads:

"For the rest of this turn, if you would Special Summon monster(s) from your Extra Deck to your Extra Monster Zone, you can Special Summon it to your Main Monster Zone instead. You cannot Special Summon Link Monsters the turn you activate this effect. During your Draw Phase, if this card is in your GY and you control no monsters that were Special Summoned from the Extra Deck, instead of conducting your normal draw: You can add this card from your GY to your hand."

This is a Normal Spell card made by Rewas. If we added this card, and maybe made some sort of archetype built around similar effects, we might be able to move to Link era. That way, we could use Links, but still use generic cards like this one to get around the Link rules if we desired. What does everyone think?

The thing is that, if you need to waste a Deck (or Extra Deck) slot to accomplish something your Deck is supposed to do, you're probably going to have a bad time, especially if that single card is unsearchable without the looming giant of Library of Sanctuary.

It's bad design, even if the intention is well-meant.

That said, you needn't worry about one or two Decks crushing absolutely everything (especially not friggin' Lunalight). That's what things like Legacy threads and the Generics thread are for- to buff the needy, and give the too-powerful Decks a form of counter: Envious Ogre was made as anti-searching and anti-Brimstone (which was, at that point, easily the biggest contender for Tier 0 in the AGM), Dictator Dragon shuts down the infinite looping shenanigans of Dynamages, Velocity Controller makes everyone slow the hell down until it's removed, Secret Ambition makes Decks focused around Equip and Continuous Spells not just instantly die to the almighty MST, and I put in work to make Venom good.

For the same reasons, I try to keep the things that are just absolutely no fun out of the AGM, like Vanity's Emptiness or the entire damned Evilswarm archetype.

Archived