Archetype Generator Meta

Draconus297

Yeah. The main issue was that I wasn't sure if I wanted to give easy access to the Synchro 6 or 8 pool, and the versatility of Level 1 support versus Rank 3 Xyz.

I still can't decide which of my little projects in the Generics thread I want to expand into an actual archetype, but Breatharrage is definitely an idea closer to completion due to how fun it is, and how relatively simple the idea is.

Here's a suggestion, if you want to do onde of your own old prompts:

Stompole

A group of DARK Beast-types that are essentially the living residue (footprints/aura/traces) of enormous extradimensional creatures. These monsters have no ATK or DEF, but they each have a goal to get their stats to a certain point, allowing them to be banished which then summons the original extradimensional monster from the Extra Deck.

The big Extra Deck monsters all have a limited nuke on summon and are quite hard to get rid of once they're on the field. Even if you do get rid of them, their essence (the "residue") remains, allowing them to return quicker whenever they're felled.

The spells are continuous ones that all have stats boosting effects as well as other useful effects for keeping the residue alive long enough for a big beast calling.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=Just going to leave this for Draco and Tinkerer]

LEc7qUd.png

aLaMcX9.png

You two got nominated for the CC Awards (which I believe I mentioned some time last week or whatever in here), and well, you technically won (or tied for the most part). So yeah, wear these with pride. (Dova already got 4 of them, and I got 2.)

Anyway, with regards to club matters, I probably will take one of the prompts I keep c/p'ing for reference for next in-club project. But yeah, still going back/forth with MR3 and MR4 projects. As for the stuff Draco sent over, I haven't gotten to working with them yet (but now that summer school's over for me, I have more time to play around with them). 

Also someone needs to bump game up too. 

I added some of the new stuff from the card games into legacy support, so you should be familiar with how they work. In all seriousness, I do need to get on with set stuff, both here and MR4 (suppose I'll go look at the stuff you sent me via PM).

Oh right, and as for adding that award to your signature, same process as posting an image but just do it through your settings page. 

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=signature

(Or I can add it for you in spoiler tags if easier.)

[spoiler=Reminder for self]

In terms of projects I could probably do for AGM.

[spoiler=hi]

Sejujakairei

Power-themed with a side of swarming; does this seem like a familiar strategy? This Archetype copies many of the strategies used by the rival characters, which inevitably focuses on spamming multiple 3000 ATK Dragon/Wyrm-Type bosses. Fairly simple to work with, though they do have a form of field control if necessary, but any variants using them tend to be more bricky. The support Spell/Traps are plentiful, ranging from searching power to outright neutering everything the opponent can play (for a price). They do not like Links, and some of their members punish monsters that do not have a Level/Rank or any form of DEF points whatsoever; even forcing heavy penalties on a player who has one.[/font][/color][/background]

So in a way, the YGO rivals from the glory days banded together to show their dislike for VRAINS...in full force.

Windy

As their name might imply, WIND monsters that focus on repeatedly bouncing cards on the field en masse to the hand (so Divine Wind is a very good tech here). The monsters aren't too terribly powerful, but what they lack in brute force, they make up for in keeping the opponent's field devoid of anything (important). Once you come to the Extra Deck, the monsters become much more formidable and even start keeping the players' hands at bay. Similar to Majespecters, they possess a variety of backrow Traps that are extremely reactive to the opponent's cards. Oh, and they just conveniently happen to be Spellcasters too (for the most part), so more supports.

Just make sure the opponent doesn't hate you at the end, especially if you choose to run a hybrid Windy/Majespecter build as one of the core members here can/will search any WIND Spellcaster of your choosing.

Y-Gear

Machine-Type monsters that focus on the Phantom Synchro concept Crow had in ARC-V using Gofu. They have an ED equivalent of Foolish Burial in which their bosses are milled from the Extra to the Graveyard, in which case the Deck plays normally and Synchro Summons from the Graveyard in the MAIN Monster Zone (as they can do in the ARC-V format). They can also Synchro Summon normally and can easily switch in-between the methods for ARC-V, but come VRAINS, you'd want to be doing Phantom Synchros much more often for obvious reasons. Also the fact they punish any monsters without a Level, so...Xyz and Links can go screw themselves in the corner.

(inb4 someone calls this Deck out for developing a loophole to evade the VRAINS mechanics; also screw Mega Zaborg and Fuyu in the mirror.) 

Kirin Rangers

This is as it sounds. They're LIGHT Beast-Warrior Fusions who can separate into a Beast-Type Kilin monster and a Warrior-type Ranger monster, with the ability to recombine with a Kilin/Ranger to summon their Fusion forms, free of charge! It's a tough gimmick to ride with, but the Fusions have awesome effects in response to being Special Summoned, so it's worth the effort to split 'em up and recombine 'em! Restrictions apply, but not a lot.

Wendigoon

WIND Wyrms that focus on swarming / triggering whenever they leave the field; a la Shaddolls. Yes, they have FLIP effects to work with, but their main goal is repeated Extra Deck summons from Fusions all the way up until Xyz. Most of them have solid defense to live a few turns, but are perfectly capable of attacking when needed. Just make sure you continually keep monster presence up, because you'll need it to continually recycle your boards / support cards. 

(Also that Synchro I made yesterday goes well here, hehehe)

===
Draconic Mages

A class of Dragon monsters that also treat themselves as Spellcasters while in your possession, opening up dual possibilities with Spellcaster techs in Dragons. But enough about that. They have an array of support cards that make the opponent's cards disappear if a Draconic Mage is on the field, similar to the backrow for Majespecters. The monsters are varied in Attributes (and easily summonable), but that works in their favor since their Fusion and Synchro bosses gain effects the more varied your Attributes are.

For the best players, it is entirely possible to set up an entire board that is nigh unbreakable with these guys within a single turn (plus set up a full backrow), but requires a ton of strategy and combos. Just be wary of Kaiju and other forms of non-destructive removal, plus making sure you don't deck yourself out by going full-on crazy. Otherwise, you can still play them in a less OTK fashion and compete at the same level as current Zoos/True Kings. 

(being Dragon and Spellcaster has its perks now, doesn't it?)

[spoiler=Requiescat in pace Night-sama]

Daddy's Kids
A . . . disturbing archetype. Precisely five monsters of different Types (Plant, Spellcaster, Psychic, Beast-Warrior, and Machine) make up the primary archetype, with a sixth member- a Normal Warrior-Type monster with . . . unsettling flavor text: The least liked of Daddy's kids. Doesn't get played with like the others, not experimented on like the others, just locked in a room and left to sulk. The implication being that the others are the Types they are because of "Daddy" and some rather unscrupulous experimentation. As for what they do, these little tykes continue their dear old dad's legacy by experimenting on your opponent's cards . . . by letting you delete parts of your opponent's cards' text. They slowly but surely make your opponent's entire Deck Normal monsters, and render every Spell and Trap in their Deck utterly useless with some Spell and Trap support that helps them "experiment" on backrow and handtraps. And then there's Daddy himself, a Ritual monster that can be Summoned using your opponent's stuff as Tribute if they have no effect text . . . and he finishes the job his kids have been doing by rendering every card in your opponent's Graveyard textless, making every floating effect and grave-banishing searcher DoA. Daddy's screwed up, the kids are tormented, and your opponent hates you, but you're grinning like a maniac because you just beat every meta Deck out there without once touching your Extra Deck or relying on a broken floater. 

If anyone asks why Night is gone, blame it on the amount of drama certain members caused over the past couple years since the election.

I'll look for more later or check the game for anything new I want to make. 

Right....and Advanced Cards no longer has the design notes thing. You can still post the prompt and any side commentary you want to, but just not going to mandate it be there every time you make a new thread. 

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/374107-breatharrage/

I made an outide thing, which as always I will submit for AGM review.

It's funny, but these look like they'd actually work better under MR4 than outside it.

Anyways, I'll say that these might need a tentative reworking in certain aspects before I'd give a solid yes.  I'll PM ya.

I have an outside thing that I'll probably put up soon-ish myself.  I do have ideas for doing Stompole as well, but haven't gathered those thoughts together in a conceivable direction yet; might have them up by the weekend though.  Will see.

Obligatory "free tuners w/o using the normal summon enables say Needlefiber plays".

Having dragons and being focused on tributing opens up plays alongside the Hieratic Link monster which could end up being a huge play maker for the deck.

On the other side of things, there really isn't much that endears them to MR3. Ranks 1 and 5 aren't the best and the Sync-6 pool is notoriously lacking. Having that spammability and overall consistency (what with the entire deck having 6+ searchers if you count Terraforming) and small advantage-keeping plays just lends itself to Links.

Wasn't the Hieratic Link, like, very mediocre? Not aggressively ass like a few of the other Links, but I seem to remember it being just a lot of text that amounts to a whole lot of "meh", especially considering that the ammo monsters have to be Tributed by the archetypal dragons in order to get maximum value out of them.

I mean, the Rank 5 pool has Greedy Sarameya to flip off any burn Deck (the new EoM procedures have made those popular again or so I hear), and Shark Fortress to get in a lot of cheap damage. Also, I forget if they have additional restrictions, but there's always Artifact Durendal and Pleiades. The Rank 1 pool is mostly gimmicks, and it's not a pool with as much utility in it as the Rank 4 or 8 pool, but hey . . . at least both Ranks 1 and 5 have more to them than poor Rank 6, whose only claim to fame in the last 4 years is almost impossible to make in an actual Rank 6 Deck.

Synchro 6, though, I'll agree with you on being pretty laughable. It's mildly better here in the AGM, where you've at least got a few solid options. Also, if you're willing to put forth the effort, or several monsters whose names have spent their effects, Breatharrage can make 7 or 8 with the investment of multiple ammo monsters. It's not ideal, but then again, neither is giving up multiple names to a Knightmare monster or Saryuja.

It's a consistent Deck, but any Deck in any format wants to be consistent.

By the by, since Draco's archetype's got a few fixes, I'm fine with letting it into the AGM.

I also finished my outside project, if anyone would take a gander at it: https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/374127-powersink-archetype-written/

Letting it in would come with the condition for "Powersink Stone" to be added to the AGM pool.

EDIT:

Wasn't the Hieratic Link, like, very mediocre? Not aggressively ass like a few of the other Links, but I seem to remember it being just a lot of text that amounts to a whole lot of "meh", especially considering that the ammo monsters have to be Tributed by the archetypal dragons in order to get maximum value out of them.

I mean, the Rank 5 pool has Greedy Sarameya to flip off any burn Deck (the new EoM procedures have made those popular again or so I hear), and Shark Fortress to get in a lot of cheap damage. Also, I forget if they have additional restrictions, but there's always Artifact Durendal and Pleiades. The Rank 1 pool is mostly gimmicks, and it's not a pool with as much utility in it as the Rank 4 or 8 pool, but hey . . . at least both Ranks 1 and 5 have more to them than poor Rank 6, whose only claim to fame in the last 4 years is almost impossible to make in an actual Rank 6 Deck.

Synchro 6, though, I'll agree with you on being pretty laughable. It's mildly better here in the AGM, where you've at least got a few solid options. Also, if you're willing to put forth the effort, or several monsters whose names have spent their effects, Breatharrage can make 7 or 8 with the investment of multiple ammo monsters. It's not ideal, but then again, neither is giving up multiple names to a Knightmare monster or Saryuja.

It's a consistent Deck, but any Deck in any format wants to be consistent.

The Hieratic link was fine.  You've got to realize that it was just revealed at around the same time as Isolde, Aromaseraphy, the BA link, Electrumite, and Needlefiber, so... yeah.  In comparison, it was mediocre.  But it is a solid card that is fairly versatile in the right deck, which this deck falls under.  While the ammo works best with their own archetype, it is essentially free advantage when used otherwise.

It isn't as though the deck is viable in outputting multiple Synchros/Xyzs easily, so even if they do get benefits from the Ranks 1/5 pool/Sync-6 pool, it won't get any less benefit from MR4 and only having 1 extra deck monster.  The further benefits of getting them into the Grave quickly and easily and simply having more power and versatility plays really helps.

Looking at it, it's basically a once per turn Compulsory that can trigger the ammo monsters' on-Tribute effect, and in doing so prevent their bonus effect from going off for the rest of the turn. This is especially painful where Megavolt is considered, because if you want to use its Reborn effect to build up your board and go +1, you're locked out of the hand control effect that is so important under MR4 with its focus on handtraps. Your best targets (as in, the ones you're not hurting too hard if you waste their float effects on a non-archetypal Tribute effect) would be the Pyro-Type ammo monsters, but both of those carry the Rokket End Phase monster-from-Deck effect, which is pretty slow for the Link era (which is why Rokkets are the worst Season 1 VRAINS Deck iirc, by comparison to Gouki, Trickstar, Cyberse, and Altergeist). Plus, the only reason you'd want Breatharrage in the Graveyard is to use Megavolt or to abuse their million and one Avarice effects for more hand advantage.

But I'm getting off track.

If anyone wants to make Breatharrage support, I'm completely cool with it. They need a WIND ammo card, and Thunder is the only Type represented among the ammo monsters that doesn't have two . . . also, I set them up for Ranks 1/5 and Synchro 6, but didn't actually give them any ED monsters. I plan to look over them again eventually, but "eventually" might not be for a while.

Given that Ash Blossom was requested pages ago and I didn't add it, that's been . . . rectified. Atropos has also been fixed, turning its Utopic ZEXAL effect into a one-sided Mistake for that turn.

I'll look over Powersink in the morning.

I'm looking through the Game thread for my next official project right now. Thinking about doing something a bit more freeform, maybe giving us another Wyrm or Insect archetype since we're lacking on those fronts. Also Pyro, but I don't think anyone has even suggested a Pyro archetype that would be fun to design.

So, this is my submission to the July challenge (I'm posting it today because I won't be able to access my pc for a while) (Is this the right place to post it?).

It's a sychro deck using igknights and other stuff.

Here's the decklist:

[spoiler=Deck List]Monsters (21):

-3x Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit

-2x Vylon Tetra

-2x Vylon Stella

-2x The Fabled Catsith

-2x Igknight Veteran

-2x Igknight Cavalier

-2x Igknight Margrave

-2x Igknight Paladin

-2x Igknight Templar

-2x Igknight Crusader

Spells (9):

-1x Raigeki

-1x Dark Hole

-3x MST

-2x Igknights Unite

-2x Twin Twister

Traps (10):

-3x Mirror Force

-3x Bottomless Trap Hole

-1x Solemn Strike

-1x Solemn Judgement

-1x Solemn Warning

Extra Deck (15):

-3x Red Dragon Archfiend

-3x Scarlight Red Dragon Archfiend

-2x Tyrant Red Dragon Archfiend

-2x Black Rose Dragon

-3x Clear Wing Sychro Dragon

-2x Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon

[spoiler=Various Other (Optional) Tactics]-Equipping the two Vylon tuners to the Synchros you summoned with them for extra protection/destruction effects.

-Discarding Catsith with Twin Twisters for 1 more destroyed card

For the time being, yes, this is the right place to post them (well, you got no other place), but just a reminder that you do have to use cards that are within our AGM approval thing. All of the archetype members you have in here are approved though, but need to check with Draco if you are also required to use some of the customs we have. 

(He was online a while after you posted this list, so...)

Well, for the "approved cards" part, I made the deck with the list open so I am sure all cards are in it. But for the "custom cards" part, I will have to ask him because(as you might have seen), I didn't put any. Not because I didn't want to, but because I didn't know how to make them have synergy with the cards that I had already put in the list (and because there are too many archetypes to look and I didn't want to become insane by searching the right cards that would be perfect for the already built deck)

As far as legality goes, you should be fine. For customs, well, I can't really blame you because we literally have a ton of generics in that one thread in Advanced (such as it required multiple posts) and a ton of archetypes.

No seriously, I think AGM's card pool is about the same size (if not larger) than Konami's existing one for the entire game; pack fillers and random vanillas that were never printed outside Japan included.

Welp, the thing is that you guys (10 to 20 people) have been doing better stuff in the past years than the (I think) 200 people have done in 22 at Konami Hq (don't get me wrong, some original archetypes are bonkers and are a lot of fun to play with, but behind those there is a big pile of smoking crap)

I've been severely busy all day, and probably will be tomorrow. At a cursory glance, all I can say is that the ED needs adjusting (Dictator Dragon kills you without trying because your entire Extra is hyper common 3-ofs, meaning that in two turns it can lock you out of it entirely), but for more in-depth analysis I ask that Sakura, Dova, or Tinkerer look over the finished product unless you're willing to wait.

To be fair, he did say that he didn't look at all of the archetypes (and probably AGM generics) because our pool is legitimately massive. If this were IRL, then probably would be alright to some extent. Here, would require a bit of looking into. 

And well, now that this is brought up, the fact that our card pool being as massive as-is may be a major factor into why members aren't doing the Deck challenge to get in. Oh hell, I still gotta look through everything (and this is already on the tail of having to look at the existing pool). 

Dictator Dragon
DARK - Level 9 - Dragon/Effect - 3000/3000
You cannot Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. Cannot be Tributed. You can Tribute Summon this card during either player's Battle Phase, but if you do, all Tributed monsters must be Dragon-Type. If a monster is Normal Summoned, you can banish 1 card from either player's Graveyard to declare 1 card name: cards of a name declared for this card's effect cannot be activated (if it is a Spell/Trap Card), Summoned (if it is a monster), or activate its effects in the hand, on the field, or in the Graveyard (including effects that would Summon that monster) while this card is face-up on the field. If this monster destroys your opponent's monster by battle, or inflicts Battle Damage, increase this monster's ATK by 200 and declare an additional card name. There can be only 1 face-up "Dictator Dragon".

(Cue the obligatory "card is oppressive" thing from TCG and elsewhere, but yeah, the fact it can banish from either GY to floodgate isn't going to sit well; even if it relies on a monster being NS'd. I would say to limit the banish thing to your GY only, but that depends on the member who made this.)

OK, so my evening is free (for the most part).

I looked through the deck and it fits the criteria for the deck challenge of the month with its focus on destruction. At the same time, it is a deck that is wildly vulnerable in certain key spots making it relatively fragile (Dictator Dragon as one example).

I do like how certain cards play off each other (Black Rose + Vylon Tetra, for example). Further, I don't believe there was anything stopping one from making a deck challenge deck with only Konami cards, but Draco has final say in that matter. If you DO want (or need) to add some AGM cards though, just PM me. I'm more than willing to help ya find stuff that'll fit!

Regarding the Dragon, I think the change to banishing only your card is fair. It has a powerful effect, so it really makes little sense to add a bonus to it. The monster itself is fairly vulnerable though, so I wouldn't call it overly "oppressive" unless it is up against some kind of protect the castle-style deck.

In case you're curious regarding the way I grade vis-a-vis AGM/Konami cards, you're fine with Konami cards unless it's a group-centric challenge; that being said, I'm more willing to overlook weaknesses and faults when spicy AGM techs are involved.

Regarding Dictator Dragon, it's what I call a "predictability punish"- one of several cards I've created that are built to demolish solved formats by killing specific crutch cards. For example, in the real game, you could drop one against Sky Strikers and kill their important Spells, or against Goukis to eliminate necessary playmakers like Suprex or Isolde. It's exponentially weaker the more variety is present in a given format, or the more off-brand cards you use (for example, no one is going to use it to call Neo-Spacian Aqua Dolphin in most situations, so that play would go through uninterrupted in most circumstances).

Here in the AGM, it's immensely vulnerable due to most Decks being roughly at the same relative strength (barring pathetic outliers like GameChildren), so the only "safe" declares are staples- Solemns, Raigeki, handtraps, Crystal Wing, D. D. Tempest, etc., and even then it kills those same staples in your Deck. It's got protection from Tribute removal, but considering that that's not in most Decks here . . . that's not something that can be counted in its favor. The Graveyard killing is probably one of the few relevant things in its favor.

Okay, Dante, do you have any last-minute changes? I'm completely free tomorrow, so if there's any alterations you want to make to your Deck list (I remember there being RDA support in your ED, so you can check my Legacy thread for more help there) you can do so today.

Regardless, I'll do an in-depth check tomorrow.

Archived