Fractastic Archetype (13/13)

Atypical-Abbie

Fractastic is an Archetype of Level 4 LIGHT monsters with various Types. Each monster has an effect that makes any battle damage they would inflict become effect damage instead, as long as you don't control non-"Fractastic" monsters that is. They use this gimmick for various effects, mostly the Spell/Trap Cards though.

Their name is a portmanteau of fractal and fantastic. This is also an Archetype of mine that has art, which is something I rarely do these days. I have actually had these images for a LONG time, but I have never gotten around to them before now, since I have had so many other ideas that I wanted to do first.

[spoiler=Cards]

Main Deck Monsters:

izK6Uft.png

When this card is Normal or Flip Summoned: You can change this card to Defense Position, and if you do, it gains 500 DEF. While the only monsters you control are "Fractastic" monsters, any battle damage this card inflicts to your opponent is treated as effect damage instead. All monsters your opponent control must attack this card, if able.

YvvRWOS.png

Once per turn: You can discard 1 "Fractastic" card, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; its ATK becomes halved until the end of the next turn. While the only monsters you control are "Fractastic" monsters, any battle damage this card inflicts to your opponent is treated as effect damage instead. You can Tribute this card, then target 1 "Fractastic" card in your Graveyard, except "Fractastic Bird"; add it to your hand.

CtLv2UI.png

If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard, then this card gains 500 ATK for each "Fractastic" monster sent until the end of the next turn. This card can attack your opponent directly, but all damage your opponent takes from that attack is halved. While the only monsters you control are "Fractastic" monsters, any battle damage this card inflicts to your opponent is treated as effect damage instead.

mWukiAT.png

While the only monsters you control are "Fractastic" monsters, any battle damage this card inflicts to your opponent is treated as effect damage instead. Each time your opponent takes effect damage, place 1 Fractastic Counter on this card. All "Fractastic" monsters you control gain 300 ATK and DEF for each Fractastic Counter on this card.

8nvI19a.png

Cannot attack your opponent directly, unless you control another "Fractastic" monster. While the only monsters you control are "Fractastic" monsters, any battle damage this card inflicts to your opponent is treated as effect damage instead. Once per turn, if this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 "Fractastic" monster from your Deck, except "Fractastic Bear".

cEJn4hG.png

While the only monsters you control are "Fractastic" monsters, any battle damage this card inflicts to your opponent is treated as effect damage instead. Once per turn, when your opponent takes effect damage during the Damage Step: You can target 1 "Fractastic" monster in your Graveyard, except "Fractastic Serpent"; Special Summon that target. Your opponent cannot target other "Fractastic" monsters by card effects.

Extra Deck Monsters:

q8ZNycK.png

2 Level 4 "Fractastic" monsters

While the only monsters you control are "Fractastic" monsters, any battle damage this card inflicts to your opponent is treated as effect damage instead. During damage calculation, if this card is battling an opponent's monster, once per battle: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; switch the ATK and DEF of this card until the end of the Damage Step, and if you do, change this card and/or the opponent's battling monster to Attack Position (if able), then the opponent's monster's ATK is halved.

mryFylj.png

3 Level 4 "Fractastic" monsters
While the only monsters you control are "Fractastic" monsters, any battle damage this card inflicts to your opponent is treated as effect damage instead. During either player's Battle Phase or Damage Step, when your opponent activates a card or effect: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; that activated effect becomes "Both players take 500 damage". When your opponent takes effect damage during the Damage Step: You can draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of "Fractastic Wolf" once per turn.

Spell/Trap Cards:

ZSSTDIN.png

Target 1 "Fractastic" monster you control; Special Summon 1 "Fractastic" monster from your hand with a different name, and that Special Summoned monster gains 700 ATK and DEF, then all monsters your opponent control (if any) are changed to Attack Position. Also, until the end of this turn, each time it destroys an opponent's monster by battle: Draw 1 card. You can only activate 1 "Fractastic Shining Star" per turn.

eqfptTo.png

When your opponent takes effect damage during the Damage Step: Target 2 "Fractastic" monsters in your Graveyard with different names; Special Summon them in Defense Position, but they cannot be used as Xyz Material for an Xyz Summon, except for the Xyz Summon of a "Fractastic" monster. You can only activate 1 "Fractastic Spiral Summon" per turn.

jiCYqfA.png

All "Fractastic" monsters you control gain 600 ATK and DEF until the end of the next turn. During either player's turn, except during the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; all "Fractastic" monsters you control gain 300 ATK and DEF until the end of this turn. You can only use each effect of "Fractastic Rainbow Pulse" once per turn.

WQokTFc.png

When your opponent takes effect damage during the Damage Step: Target 1 face-up card your opponent controls; destroy it, and if you do, add 1 "Fractastic" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Fractastic Atom Blast". During your turn, except during the turn this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 "Fractastic" monster you control and 1 Set card your opponent controls; destroy them. You can only use each effect of "Fractastic Atom Blast" once per turn.

pVXjG3i.png

When your opponent takes effect damage during the Damage Step: Make your opponent banish 1 monster from their hand or their side of the field (their choice). When your opponent takes effect damage during the Damage Step while this card is in the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard: Make your opponent banish 1 Spell/Trap Card from their hand or their side of the field (their choice). You can only use 1 effect of "Fractastic Mystic Storm" per turn, and only once that turn.

Wow, I can't believe no one replied to this.. These are really well-done cards and a really cool concept! (We've actually never seen a card that transformed battle damage to effect damage, I don't think). Having said that, I think that some of them are a bit on the powerful side. "Fractastic Bear", for example, is a buffed version of Blackwing Shura.. The XYZ is also quite cute (I love the image and concept), but when you sit down and thing about it, it is completely unbeatable by battle until both XYZ Materials have been discarded (it's highly unlikely that your opponent will be able to pull out a monster with 5600 ATK power, since your monster halves their monster's ATK). When you take into consideration cards like "Fractastic Spiral Summon," which let you revive en masse from the Graveyard (in addition to the archetype's other swarm capabilities) it seems like you will be summoning "Fractastic Butterfly" quite a lot... 

Wow, I can't believe no one replied to this.. These are really well-done cards and a really cool concept! (We've actually never seen a card that transformed battle damage to effect damage, I don't think). Having said that, I think that some of them are a bit on the powerful side. "Fractastic Bear", for example, is a buffed version of Blackwing Shura.. The XYZ is also quite cute (I love the image and concept), but when you sit down and thing about it, it is completely unbeatable by battle until both XYZ Materials have been discarded (it's highly unlikely that your opponent will be able to pull out a monster with 5600 ATK power, since your monster halves their monster's ATK). When you take into consideration cards like "Fractastic Spiral Summon," which let you revive en masse from the Graveyard (in addition to the archetype's other swarm capabilities) it seems like you will be summoning "Fractastic Butterfly" quite a lot... 

I did give Bear an attack restriction though, I feel like it's fine that way, plus it's harder to get those kinds of effects off these days, where most monsters are quite high in ATK.

These cards are really great with the battle to effect damage thing being original! However I agree with Saiba Aisu that some cards have a really high attack for their effects. The bear's attack restrictions don't mean much as it is focused on killing monsters which makes its attack monstrous, since it would be paired with Mosquito, Shining Star and Rainbow Pulse. To my limited knowledge, effect monsters with 2000 ATK have effects that are mostly bad and at most neutral. IMO the ATK for Mosquito is also very high for its effect, which is easy to activate which cards like Ring of Destruction or even Oozaki. Serpent is powerful as well, it can Special Summon another fractal monster ready to attack or Xyz. The Tortoise and Bird are balanced with good effects.

The butterfly is fine I think as it is not immune to banishment or destruction by card effects, which alot of decks have now. The Wolf allows too many card draws I think seeing how easy it is to summon as it is rank 4. The easiest way to change this is to lower the levels of the summoner cards like Serpent to restrict the speed of Xyz.

Overall, a bit on the high-powered side but this is turning out really nice :D I think the key here is to assume the deck will have many cards to deal effect damage to compliment the monsters, so some slight adjustments might be good for balance.

These cards are really great with the battle to effect damage thing being original! However I agree with Saiba Aisu that some cards have a really high attack for their effects. The bear's attack restrictions don't mean much as it is focused on killing monsters which makes its attack monstrous, since it would be paired with Mosquito, Shining Star and Rainbow Pulse. To my limited knowledge, effect monsters with 2000 ATK have effects that are mostly bad and at most neutral. IMO the ATK for Mosquito is also very high for its effect, which is easy to activate which cards like Ring of Destruction or even Oozaki. Serpent is powerful as well, it can Special Summon another fractal monster ready to attack or Xyz. The Tortoise and Bird are balanced with good effects.

The butterfly is fine I think as it is not immune to banishment or destruction by card effects, which alot of decks have now. The Wolf allows too many card draws I think seeing how easy it is to summon as it is rank 4. The easiest way to change this is to lower the levels of the summoner cards like Serpent to restrict the speed of Xyz.

Overall, a bit on the high-powered side but this is turning out really nice :D I think the key here is to assume the deck will have many cards to deal effect damage to compliment the monsters, so some slight adjustments might be good for balance.

Bear may be quite strong now, as I have a lot of ways to boost it up, I may change it around a bit in the future. Also, Wolf can only be used once per turn, so it shouldn't be that bad.

Fractastic Wolf is pretty good, it's a guaranteed +1 with minor burn capabilities, in addition to high ATK... Maybe a bit too good.. Especially when you consider how relatively easy it is to swarm en masse with Level 4 Fractastics, and the fact that by inflicting 500 damage to the opponent, you are guaranteeing the activation of all your assorted support cards. Maybe tone him down a bit, 3000 ATK is pretty crazy.

Other than that, I'm loving this set.

• 1 year later...

I don't exactly agree with everyone about these being overpowered. They actually fit well into the current meta, I think they'd be able to hold their own against quite a few decks, due to their swarming capabilities. Wolf's 3k body allows him to survive for quite a few turns and can easily run other boss monsters, while also preventing the opponent from boosting their own cards and punishing you for attacking. His draw effect lets you make up for any minuses you go through to summon him and mitigate your losses if your opponent runs a lot of card destruction.

And that card destruction risk is what makes these balanced in my opinion. Sure, in battle these things are essentially untouchable, but if your opponent doesn't straight up fight, rather bouncing or destroying your monsters, the deck doesn't really have a good comeback. You just have to hope you can outswarm their effects, especially seeing as these aren't pendulumns. 

Butterfly is honestly my personal favorite. Being able to sit on it's 2800 body and punish any monster that tries to overpower it is just so good. And it can be used offensively, if you prefer, but will never deal more than 2800 damage unless it's DEF is boosted, making it very balanced. 

All in all, a very interesting archetype with some impressive balance despite the high power the deck holds. 9/10 from me!

cool, could i add them in my pack, Mysterious Mayhem?

http://imgur.com/Od7tuXH

Do realize that you are bound by the Advanced Clause while posting; meaning you need to post something about how the cards are designed playability-wise. Questions like this should just be PMed to the thread creator if not accompanied by appropriate critique.

(You've read the rules for this area, right?)

Archived