[CFV] Skipping the ride on the Grade 3 turn

Just Crouton

I love striding first.

I hate going first because of that.

The player going first gets to grade 3 first, while the opponent gets to stride first.

That said, on games were you go first, why not sit on grade 2 for another turn?

It prevents your opponent from both striding and legioning, leaving them with less chance of a major play before you can do something big.

Thoughts?

for the most part, it seems like any deck is capable of skipping the g3 ride for one turn, though if you're lacking in g2s, you'll probably end up being the one to go to grade 3 first. So, it could be said that knowing when to stop skipping your g3 ride is an important skill to have for the gb-heavy decks like Messiahs or Gears.

This is why GB for the most part really sucks. If your opponent knows how to play the game, they will most likely be playing a deck that doesn't mind being on 2 for a few turn and will even have an ability active so that you're pressuring your opponent to guard even though you're only on 2. It's one of the reasons why Gears and Messiahs haven't been as dominant as people thought they may be.

One of the only exceptions to this rule is Aqua Force and that's only because they thrive when your opponent skips riding to Grade 3 because whichever tactic you use ends up with Aqua Force being further ahead than you. Another would be Royal Paladin because they don't need GB to trigger Swordmy because fair card.

it's not a bad idea, but I feel that it's possible for it to really backfire, and cost you too much defensively. I understand the stride issue, but it's not like waiting to ride it going to save you from damage, and letting your opponent push ahead, it could certainly cost you the game, if they have a limit break unit in their deck for example, or superior calling that can ignore the grade limit.

it's not a bad idea, but I feel that it's possible for it to really backfire, and cost you too much defensively. I understand the stride issue, but it's not like waiting to ride it going to save you from damage, and letting your opponent push ahead, it could certainly cost you the game, if they have a limit break unit in their deck for example, or superior calling that can ignore the grade limit.

If you're up against say, a LB deck or something similar, you use a different method to take care of them :o

Gradelocking is best used if you're up against Stride/Legion exclusive decks or if your deck just has a monumentally good G2 to sit on (coughDuocough)

This tactic is only brought out against decks that are fairly reliant on their Generation Break to get going. An example would be Sweep Command since the Limit Break's will likely not matter and the important part is stopping the Generation Break abilities of Voltage Horn and Zorras. Obviously you won't play like this against something like any of the archetypes we got until BT15 since they all have offensive capabilities on Grade 2 which mean they'll win the Grade 2 game most games.

Also obligatory mention of the 4 Grade 3 Tachi G2 rush deck.

This tactic is only brought out against decks that are fairly reliant on their Generation Break to get going. An example would be Sweep Command since the Limit Break's will likely not matter and the important part is stopping the Generation Break abilities of Voltage Horn and Zorras. Obviously you won't play like this against something like any of the archetypes we got until BT15 since they all have offensive capabilities on Grade 2 which mean they'll win the Grade 2 game most games.

Also obligatory mention of the 4 Grade 3 Tachi G2 rush deck.

oh I see.

so you'd be looking for gb effect cards then to let you decide? because it obviously costs a deck nothing to add in a g-side deck.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a legitimate strategy that should be considered every game.  If you don't have a perfect guard, have less than 2 3s with one of them being your main ride (or 1 stride enabler and your main grade 3), have a hand full of grade 2s, or are playing against Shadow Paladins/Nova Grapplers then you should sit at Grade 2 the first turn (except in cases of misriding).  This is why OTT is one deck that thrives at staying at 2.  Drawing to mitigate then minus form not twin drive checking and Silent Tom, mean that it is a truly viable deck.  Also any cards that have GB effects are now useless until you ride.  Just make sure you don't minus yourself too hard.  So only stay there for a turn or 2 at most; twin drive is twice as deadly.

Archived