I need someone to explain this to me (Warning, very old combo)

So, anyone who's played yugioh for awhile has probably experience or has done the Photon papilloperative + Wind Up Rat combo.

Now typically I'm not very intrigued by rulings and I just simply follow them, but this one has kept me wondering for years.

WHY is it that you can trigger Wind-Up Rat again when you change it to atk mode with the Butterfly. Rat never actually goes face down so technically it's still face up, but yet if it's changed to atk by the effect it can retrigger.

I'm going to assume this is something simple and that i'm stupid for asking about it, but please tell me why this works. Every time i've thought of wind ups I still wonder why it works and it seems like everytime I ask nobody has an answer or they just ignore it.

Am I really that bad for not knowing? Or is this a mystery. I even tried looking this up and I get no explanations, just how to do the combo.

From what I can recall, Papi just changed the Rat you'd summon off of Magician from defence to attack so that it could actually use it's effect. 

Because it was what? NS Magician -> SS Shark -> SS Rat -> Overlay for Papi -> Switch Rat to attack and carry on from there as needed. Every subsequent copy of Rat used would be fresh on the field. 

From what I can recall, Papi just changed the Rat you'd summon off of Magician from defence to attack so that it could actually use it's effect. 

Because it was what? NS Magician -> SS Shark -> SS Rat -> Overlay for Papi -> Switch Rat to attack and carry on from there as needed. Every subsequent copy of Rat used would be fresh on the field. 

Was it really? It's been so long since i've seen that. I'm assuming I might have overlooked the NS Magician part, but I really feel like i've seen what i described in the OP happen.

Well if that's really the case, thanks for solving my mystery. Shame it turned out to be a "You blinked and missed and effect" type of mystery but hey...

Was it really? It's been so long since i've seen that. I'm assuming I might have overlooked the NS Magician part, but I really feel like i've seen what i described in the OP happen.

Well if that's really the case, thanks for solving my mystery. Shame it turned out to be a "You blinked and missed and effect" type of mystery but hey...

I believe the full standard play was Magician->Shark->Magician summon Magician->Shark to 3, Magician summon Rat->Overlay 2 Magician for Papi and target Rat->Rat bring back Magician->Overlay Rat and level 3 Shark for Zenmaity->Zenmaity summon any level 4, Magician summon another level 4->Make Shock Master

I believe the full standard play was Magician->Shark->Magician summon Magician->Shark to 3, Magician summon Rat->Overlay 2 Magician for Papi and target Rat->Rat bring back Magician->Overlay Rat and level 3 Shark for Zenmaity->Zenmaity summon any level 4, Magician summon another level 4->Make Shock Master

Yes it was. Thank god shock is gone.

Archived