[MtG] Spring 2016 - "Shadows over Innistrad"

bury the year

Copying my post from Reddit:

TRICORN HATS INTENSIFY

Now, what this means for us Magic folk:

1. Why two returning planes in a row? With the revamp in storyline, the current cast are going to be used much more. Going to Innistrad allows us to tie up potential loose ends, for example that of Sorin and Nahiri. Garruk, Liliana and Sorin are the three characters of interest that are not in BFZ, and have connections to Innistrad. This doesn't guarantee any of them coming back, but it's worth noting, especially with Innistrad being one of the Origins planes.

2. MaRo has talked much about the missed opportunity of a legendary werewolf. If werewolves return (as it was left purposefully ambiguous whether every werewolf became wolfir last time around), a legendary Werewolf is inevitable.

3. DFCs. I imagine they'll come back. I could see why they might not, and why people might not want them to, but I consider it a totally lost opportunity if they don't. They serve horror tropes far too well, and are marginally more acceptable with DFCs already in Origins. This is the Innistrad mechanic I'm most confident about returning.

4. Will it be disappointing? Let's hope not! I suggest for people to wait for Monday when they'll presumably announce who's on the design and development teams. Innistrad had a great design and development team (especially with the great inclusion of Jenna Holland on design). Hopefully, we get a similar team this time around.

Copying my post from Reddit:

In response:

1) MaRo posted on Blogatog that the ratio for new/returning planes is now going to be as close to 50/50. We've just been to two new planes (Theros and Tarkir), so two returning would be a good way to even it out. Plus, as you said, tying up the Garruk/Lili storyline would be nice.

2+3) Origins has pretty much proved that DFCs don't need to be limited as a set mechanic (aka, they're pseudo-evergreen). I'd be also disappointed if they don't use them again.

My thoughts:

1.) Hopefully, they don't dumb anything down from the previous Innistrad block, or nerf the power level too much.

2.) So, are Avacyn and the other angels being corrupted?  Is Emrakul visiting Innistrad for tea and scones?  What's with that bending Avacyn logo?

3.) Hopefully, as I've seen some others point out, they put out a legendary werewolf.

4.) Hopefully they advance Garruk's story, as well as finally give Sorin a chance to shine (if you think about it, he isn't as impressive "on-screen" as the story sometimes makes him out to be).

5.) While I may see their intentions with this (Liliana et al), I kinda wish we visited a new plane instead, like Vryn or Kaladesh.

Avacyn is a powerful archangel, but she is no goddess.
And the fight with Griselbrand could have either taken a lot out of her...or part of Griselbrand made its way into her while they were trapped together.
After all, she was imprisoned along with all of the other creatures she captured.

Who knows what they might've secretly done to her...
But yeah, wrapping up the Innistrad stuff (especially since it feels like we now have two separate groups of Planeswalkers) would be nice.
Plus, this means we get WOLFIR CARDS.

And since they work for Avacyn now, that might mean we get White Werewolves Wolfir. That would be pretty awesome.

2.) So, are Avacyn and the other angels being corrupted?  Is Emrakul visiting Innistrad for tea and scones?  What's with that bending Avacyn logo?

If you looked closely the red feather was causing everything around it to die.

We haven't seen the other two contract demons in card form. Will they show up?

Unlikely. They should be on two different plans. Griselbrand was the strongest demon there and we know the remaining two are stronger.

Yea, going back to Innistrad is interesting to me since Lili should be getting focus this block, but why would she go back there? Like, my best guess is that Griselbrand somehow ISN'T dead (I wouldn't mind that since just being told "he died" is really lacking) but its still going to be interesting seeing how she fits in since I can't imagine her not being involved.

Anyway, my theory is that Avacyn is Nahiri. Its crazy, but stay with me. The last we know of her she went looking for Sorin, and the last we've heard of her Sorin knew where she was but something had happened to her. Something seemingly that he caused. My theory is that even though he was still pre-mending power level making an Angel, especially one as powerful as Avacyn, wouldn't be easy so he used Nahiri as the base of creation and when Avacyn was born she was trapped.

Unlike Mirrodin, Ravnica and Zendikar's return sets, it feels like we're back at Innistrad way too soon. The block was just out like three years ago.

Whatever floats Wizards' boat, though. It was part of Origins, so it was inevitable we were going to come back around to it. I just feel like looking at another new plane would've maybe been nice.

Unlike Mirrodin, Ravnica and Zendikar's return sets, it feels like we're back at Innistrad way too soon. The block was just out like three years ago.

It was actually 4 and a half. Innistrad came out in 2011. RTR, Theros, Khans, and Battle being the blocks in-between. The Zendikar return was after 6 years so its not off by THAT much.

I do wonder if we'll see Eldrazi appearing here. 

If so, I'd like to see a focus on Kozilek or Emrakul for a change, since their lineages seem to be more "Lovecraftian" than Ulamog's.

It would also add to the horror theme, and provide options for colorless creatures other than random golem or construct #343.

It was actually 4 and a half. Innistrad came out in 2011. RTR, Theros, Khans, and Battle being the blocks in-between. The Zendikar return was after 6 years so its not off by THAT much.

Between the release of Avacyn Restored, aka when we were leaving the plane, and this announcement, it's been 3 and a half years. In comparison to the time between RoE and BFZ, Dissension and RTR, and Fifth Dawn and Scars, this is the fastest we've gone back to a plane. It will be 4 years when Shadows releases.

There's nothing wrong with that per se. It's interesting that we're putting Chandra's plane on the backburner, though.

Between the release of Avacyn Restored, aka when we were leaving the plane, and this announcement, it's been 3 and a half years. In comparison to the time between RoE and BFZ, Dissension and RTR, and Fifth Dawn and Scars, this is the fastest we've gone back to a plane. It will be 4 years when Shadows releases.

There's nothing wrong with that per se. It's interesting that we're putting Chandra's plane on the backburner, though.

Fair enough. I was thinking of them by start date, so I was using a different measure.

I'm not surprise they are putting Chandra's plane on the backburner atm. As I said, Lili was obviously going to be the focus of the next block and Innistrad IS connected to her, the issue again is that what reason does she have to go back there.

Taken from Maro's twitter

We now do blocks 50% new and 50% returns. That means sometimes two new or two returns will be back-to-back.

Zendikar - new

Scars - return

Innistrad - new

Return - return

Theros - new

Khans - new

Battle - return

Shadows - return

The 50/50 New Worlds/Return Worlds split isn't new. We've been dong it for 6 years.

And from his tumbler

su92 asked: Have the design and development teams for Shadows of Innistrad been announced yet?

We have not. I’ll let you know one design team member - me (I wasn’t the lead). : )

I just saw the archive list and in the image they show for announcing Shadows of Innistrad, they are using this...

kL2UhIGIHQ_icon.jpg

My question is, why the hell is the mindmage on... 'slaps self' I forgot that Ugin pointed him towards that direction to find Sorin. Though who is that face behind him...that certainly isn't Lilianna. Also, what is he wearing? Are we gonna actually see him wearing something other than his cloak for once? (Seems to be rocking it, though. 'fangirl moment')

I just saw the archive list and in the image they show for announcing Shadows of Innistrad, they are using this...

kL2UhIGIHQ_icon.jpg

My question is, why the hell is the mindmage on... 'slaps self' I forgot that Ugin pointed him towards that direction to find Sorin. Though who is that face behind him...that certainly isn't Lilianna. Also, what is he wearing? Are we gonna actually see him wearing something other than his cloak for once? (Seems to be rocking it, though. 'fangirl moment')

I didn't think that was Jace at first until I saw his markings.

Agreed that the outfit looks pretty awesome. The designs for the Innistrad people was always really cool.

Anyway, set info

Number of Cards 297

Prerelease Events April 2-3, 2016

Release Date April 8, 2016

Set is coming out WAY earlier than I would have expected.

I assume lady in the back is Avacyn. She's the only one on Innistrad rocking black eyeshadow and lipstick. The angel underneath the large face indicates the same.

I was wondering what the markings on her face were (I assume it being a sign of corruption), then I just realised now that maybe it's the Chain Veil again. Very similar to all the purple veiny stuff on Garruk.

297 set size also basically confirms DFCs.

If you didn't read the Uncharted Realms rap battle between Jace and Ugin, he'd be a surprise entry here.  Also, nice to see a new outfit from him for once (I don't count Vryn's Prodigy).

I agree that the woman might be Avacyn.  If the Chain Veil is responsible for what's going to happen, that'd be interesting; we haven't seen the Chain Veil do a lot in a while for such a plot-important artifact.

Archived