Have some class. [AGM] Victorian Archetype

The Nyx Avatar

[spoiler=Show Monster Cards]

w1LFn6V.png

Pendulum Effect:Once per turn: You can add 1 "Victorian" Ritual Spell Card from your Deck to your hand; your opponent then draws 2 cards.

Monster Effect:Must be Ritual or Pendulum Summoned and cannot cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Must first be Ritual Summoned. You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Victorian" Ritual Spell Card. Once per turn: You can target 1 monster on the field; banish it; if you do, you cannot conduct your Battle Phase this turn. If you would activate the effect of a Ritual Spell Card from your Graveyard, your opponent can pay Life Points, discard card(s), and send monsters to their Graveyard until your opponent has less than you; negate the effect.

9HSWGJM.png

Pendulum Effect:You cannnot Pendulum Summon monsters, except "Victorian" monsters; this effect cannot be negated. Once per turn: You can add 1 "Victorian" Ritual Monster from your Deck to your hand; your opponent then gains 2000 Life Points.

Monster Effect:Must be Ritual or Pendulum Summoned and cannot cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Must first be Ritual Summoned. You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Victorian" Ritual Spell Card. Once per turn: You can pay 500 Life Points; banish up to 3 cards face-up in your opponent's Extra Deck. If you would activate the effect of a Ritual Spell Card from your Graveyard, your opponent can pay Life Points, discard card(s), and send monsters to their Graveyard until your opponent has less than you; negate the effect.

6k3SIg5.png

Pendulum Effect:Once per turn: You can add 1 "Victorian" Ritual Monster from your Deck to your hand. While this card is face-up on the field, your opponent's monsters can attack twice per turn.

Monster Effect:Must be Ritual or Pendulum Summoned and cannot cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Must first be Ritual Summoned. You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Victorian" Ritual Spell Card. Once per turn: You can pay 500 Life Points; banish 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field. If you would activate the effect of a Ritual Spell Card from your Graveyard, your opponent can pay Life Points, discard card(s), and send monsters to their Graveyard until your opponent has less than you; negate the effect.

IOICVa6.png

Pendulum Effect:You cannnot Pendulum Summon monsters, except "Victorian" monsters; this effect cannot be negated. Once per turn: You can add 1 "Victorian" Ritual Spell Card from your Deck to your hand. While this card is face-up on the field, your opponent draws an additional card during their Draw Phase.

Monster Effect:Must be Ritual or Pendulum Summoned and cannot cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Must first be Ritual Summoned. You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Victorian" Ritual Spell Card. Once per turn: You can pay 1000 Life Points; banish 1 monster on the field and 1 monster in either player's Graveyard. If you would activate the effect of a Ritual Spell Card from your Graveyard, your opponent can pay Life Points, discard card(s), and send monsters to their Graveyard until your opponent has less than you; negate the effect.

i4R2BCU.jpg

Pendulum Effect:You cannnot Pendulum Summon monsters, except "Victorian" monsters; this effect cannot be negated. Once per turn: You can add 1 "Victorian" Ritual Monster from your Deck to your hand; your opponent then gains 1000 Life Points and draws 1 card.

Monster Effect:Must be Ritual or Pendulum Summoned and cannot cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Must first be Ritual Summoned. You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Victorian" Ritual Spell Card. Once per turn: You can pay 800 Life Points; banish up to 2 Spell/Trap Cards on the field. If you would activate the effect of a Ritual Spell Card from your Graveyard, your opponent can pay Life Points, discard card(s), and send monsters to their Graveyard until your opponent has less than you; negate the effect.

4UVJoy1.jpg

Pendulum Effect:Once per turn: You can add 1 "Victorian" Ritual Monster from your Deck to your hand; your opponent then draws 1 card.

Monster Effect:Must be Ritual or Pendulum Summoned and cannot cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Must first be Ritual Summoned. You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Victorian" Ritual Spell Card."Victorian" monsters you control are unaffected by your opponent's Effect Monster effects. If you would activate the effect of a Ritual Spell Card from your Graveyard, your opponent can pay Life Points, discard card(s), and send monsters to their Graveyard until your opponent has less than you; negate the effect.

[spoiler=Show Spell Cards]

X2gr9Jk.jpg

LORE:This card cannot be banished. This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Victorian" Ritual Monster. You must also Tribute monsters from the field or your hand whose total Levels equal the Level of the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon. Any monster Summoned by this card is also treated as a LIGHT monster. Once per turn: While this card is in your Graveyard and you control a Ritual Monster, if you have 2 other "Victorian" Ritual Spell Cards with different names in your Graveyard, you can increase your opponent's Life Points by 500; win the Duel. Your opponent must control more monsters, have more Life Points than you, or have more cards in their hand to activate and resolve this effect.

zKdKab7.jpg

LORE:This card cannot be banished. This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Victorian" Ritual Monster. You must also Tribute monsters from the field or your hand whose total Levels equal the Level of the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon. A monster Summoned by this card is also treated as a Warrior-Type monster (even in the Graveyard). Once per turn: While this card is in your Graveyard and you control a Ritual Monster, if you have 2 other "Victorian" Ritual Spell Cards with different names in your Graveyard, you can increase your opponent's Life Points by 500; win the Duel. Your opponent must control more monsters, have more Life Points than you, or have more cards in their hand to activate and resolve this effect.

JZEicok.jpg

LORE:This card cannot be banished. This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Victorian" Ritual Monster. You must also Tribute monsters from the field or your hand whose total Levels equal the Level of the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon. Any monster Summoned by this card is unaffected by your opponent's Effect Monster effects. Once per turn: While this card is in your Graveyard and you control a Ritual Monster, if you have 2 other "Victorian" Ritual Spell Cards with different names in your Graveyard, you can increase your opponent's Life Points by 500; win the Duel. Your opponent must control more monsters, have more Life Points than you, or have more cards in their hand to activate and resolve this effect.

God I love the idea of Pendulum Ritual monsters. I made my own set for it (Though it's not good enough to post so meh) and seeing your take on it is very interesting. I'm going to go card by card to begin.

Victorian gentlemen Chedder

A great pendulum effect to speed up the deck. I feel that the giving of two cards to your opponent is, well, a little over balanced. Maybe too much of a plus to the opponent. The banish to prevent battle phase seems fine,especially with being spammable pendulum, although the ability to negate a ritual spell in the grave is, odd. Don't know if I hate it.

Victorian Swordmisstress Elizabeth

Mouthful of a name. I really love that pendulum effect, it keeps the scale eleven from being over powered, and the adding a ritual monster is pretty good. The monster effect is a little meh. Not bad, just not always useful. Again, the negation effect. Hm.

Victorian Suitor Cromwell

That Pendulum effect will get the controller killed, hardcore. Over balanced against the self. His effect is pretty good as well, banishing may be a bit much but it's still a good effect.

Victorian Maiden Windsor

Again, pendulum effect still feels, like it's over balanced towards the opponent. That monster could be great with messing with the opponent and maintaining field control. Combined with the semi-low attack, it's a great combo.

Victorian fitting

It's interesting that is also makes them light. It kind of makes them more vulnerable, or easier to support. Although within the set itself, I'm not certain why it does that? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Victorian Matrimony

Two problems, first, I still don't get the change in type here. Also they're all pendulum monsters, they don't really go to the graveyard too often.

Victorian Masqurade

Unaffected by your opponents effect monsters effects sounds redundant to me. It's also not OCG

The win condition: I'm not a fan? It feels weirdly splashable, as though a deck could be made just to make the opponent gain advantage and self milling until they have it, especially with it being or, not and. A simple Ojama trio would allow the win. Yes the monsters can negate that effect, but if you don't control the monsters, then your opponent still loses

All in all I like it. I feel it gives the opponent too much advantage, preventing it from being too useful, but it's still a deck I'd run for fun.

Badrick is a bit too big, I think you had a render issue.

The monster effects work out, but don't have any glaring problems. The Ritual spell additions on summon; Prevention of Monster effects are okay, but I wish the LIGHT and Warrior additions were touched on by the monsters. I would focus on the cards more, but I wan't to talk about the main attraction.

Let's talk about the Win Condition. It's so...temperamental. So splashable, so easy to pull off, yet negatable? I would prefer it banished all 3 as a cost, so if its negated, your opponent has a chance, but basically unless your opponent runs 'noids they can do shiz against it. Yes, your monsters do give your opponent the option to negate it, but if you have none out on the field, nothing is done. The main strategy of this deck is just to send the three spells to grave. You don't even need to run any Victorian monsters, just have manju and hand destruction. A splashable win condition in Ritual decks.

Badrick is a bit too big, I think you had a render issue.

The monster effects work out, but don't have any glaring problems. The Ritual spell additions on summon; Prevention of Monster effects are okay, but I wish the LIGHT and Warrior additions were touched on by the monsters. I would focus on the cards more, but I wan't to talk about the main attraction.

Let's talk about the Win Condition. It's so...temperamental. So splashable, so easy to pull off, yet negatable? I would prefer it banished all 3 as a cost, so if its negated, your opponent has a chance, but basically unless your opponent runs 'noids they can do shiz against it. Yes, your monsters do give your opponent the option to negate it, but if you have none out on the field, nothing is done. The main strategy of this deck is just to send the three spells to grave. You don't even need to run any Victorian monsters, just have manju and hand destruction. A splashable win condition in Ritual decks.

To the Ritual Spell cards, I could add "While you control a Ritual Monster" to its effect to avoid such scenario.

To the Ritual Spell cards, I could add "While you control a Ritual Monster" to its effect to avoid such scenario.

That would fix it. Or just a "You must control a face-up Ritual monster to activate and resolve this effect."

The idea of a ritual pendulum archetype is fairly unique and very interesting, however there are a couple issues I feel need to be addressed.

- The low-scale of 4 feels rather arbitrary, as the entire archetype is level 10. Although I suppose this could be to discourage abuse with a high scale like 9, a simple clause can fix that.

- The effect that allows your opponent to negate needs to be reworked a little and needs to be specific, especially regarding the lifepoints factor, but I'm going to talk about that more further down.

- I feel the summoning clause could be further simplified, but my skills in OCG aren't quite good enough to give any kind of recommendation. It gets the point across after a read-through, but at first glance it looked like you had accidentally put in two nomi clauses.

- The balance of the archetype is kind of very off, especially with the alt win conditions. Considering the crazy consistency that the individual scales offer and that if you don't have a ritual monster on the field, it's no stretch for this deck to become a very efficient FTK deck. Alt-win conditions are nothing one should just throw around, and they need to require the proper effort and time needed to make them both satisfying to accomplish and fair for the game.

- There are quite a few searchers in this deck; too many almost. Consistency can make or break a deck, and there's a couple good general rules that can be followed to give a deck decent consistency without breaking it. These rules typically involve having each card being useful in their own right and able to combo with the rest of the deck effectively (general combos over specific combos), as well my general rules involve having no more than 2 monsters that search and no more than 1 spell that searches with 1 spell and/or 1 monster with a smaller draw effect.

- And finally, a couple tips. I notice that some of the scales offer you no benefit towards your strategy, while others offer consistency or at least the benefit of being able to control when and how your opponent gains advantage. For the pendulum effects, it's important to go back and think how to make it so that any given player has a good reason to use any of the Pendulum monsters as a scale, as opposed to some being clearly way better than others. As well, the flavor of the archetype feels... contradictory. On the one hand, it looks like you're going for a high-risk high-reward aggro deck with strong monsters using powerful effects to gain field control, while on the other it feels like you're going for a control-based alt-win deck. I feel it would benefit the archetype greatly to pick one of those ideas and focus on it particularly. It will give the deck a more cohesive feel. In my opinion, it would be better to focus more on the aggressive big-monster deck rather than the alt-win deck.

There's a lot of potential with this archetype and you have a great vision to start off with. I hope to see something great come out of it!

Archived